Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 5077 Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I haven't seen the box anomaly yet on my TV. Maybe I'll rent Funny People and see if it appears. It almost sounds like one of the features for "directors comments" is activated but there is no content present. Some BD discs have that feature. Maybe somehow it was enabled by default?

That's certainly possible In my experience, the discs with the fewest "features" seem to play without hickups. I've had nothing but chapter skips all over the place with Robin Hood and Iron Man 2. In any case, it's not the TV's fault.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 5077 Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstan View Post

Henry — sorry for the delay in sending my appreciation for your response to my #512. Thank you very much for your clarification. There's one unanswered question, though, with regard to the "Standard(users)" settings. I've seen no reference thereto in any of Phase's extraordinarily thoughtful sharing of his settings. What would he use that for and what would be the settings he would recommend thereto?

I don't think any of us use Standard a lot. Standard is just another pre-configured set that you can adjust to your liking. By default, it is much cooler than Cinema, for example. It also has a lot of processing enabled.

If you wanted to, you could make any of the pre-config modes (except Game) look exactly the same. Look back at the early 300s posts, and you'll find Phase's custom settings for each one of these.

And by the way, for those of you who just want the TV to pop and sizzle with colors and contrast, watch a blu-ray with default Standard settings. Just don't sit too close

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #543 of 5077 Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Member
 
tomstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

I don't think any of us use Standard a lot. Standard is just another pre-configured set that you can adjust to your liking. By default, it is much cooler than Cinema, for example. It also has a lot of processing enabled.

If you wanted to, you could make any of the pre-config modes (except Game) look exactly the same. Look back at the early 300s posts, and you'll find Phase's custom settings for each one of these.

And by the way, for those of you who just want the TV to pop and sizzle with colors and contrast, watch a blu-ray with default Standard settings. Just don't sit too close

Thanks, Henry & Phase. Re. "Standard(user") — or any other desired settings in Cinema, Sports. etc. Having already changed the "Standard" (or any other) how might one get it (or any one other) to return to the LG default setting without changing any other one? Or is that not possible? T.
tomstan is offline  
post #544 of 5077 Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstan View Post

Thanks, Henry & Phase. Re. "Standard(user") — or any other desired settings in Cinema, Sports. etc. Having already changed the "Standard" (or any other) how might one get it (or any one other) to return to the LG default setting without changing any other one? Or is that not possible? T.

To restore any Picture mode, enter the Picture Menu, scroll down to Picture Reset. Depress the Enter button for factory default.
Phase700B is offline  
post #545 of 5077 Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Member
 
ccdoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quick question about entering the settings. I am trying to apply the ISF expert 1 settings to my 42LD520 and cannot find where to put the multiple settings for adjustments.

Quote:


IRE Adj. Points R, G, B
IRE 100 Luminance = 110

100 2, 3, 0
90 3, 5, -2
80 3, 3, -3
70 3, 1, -3
60 2, 1, -6
50 2 -2, -7
40 5, 2, -6
30 3,-2, -11
20 0,-2, -10
10 3, 1, -8
0 1,-2, -4

My option after Luminance is 'Red (110.0nit)' and I guess am just confused and thinking i am missing something.
ccdoggy is offline  
post #546 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Member
 
thegam3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdoggy View Post

I have a quick question about entering the settings. I am trying to apply the ISF expert 1 settings to my 42LD520 and cannot find where to put the multiple settings for adjustments.



My option after Luminance is 'Red (110.0nit)' and I guess am just confused and thinking i am missing something.

you need to pick method 10 point IRE instead of 2 points
thegam3 is offline  
post #547 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
youngronnx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone I have the ld550 model lg tv and I updated it to the 06.00.04 firmware and now my mp4 files do not play with sound anymore from my external hdd like they did before the firmware update.
Is there a fix for this or a firmware i can download to return to its previous state?
youngronnx1 is offline  
post #548 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

To restore any Picture mode, enter the Picture Menu, scroll down to Picture Reset. Depress the Enter button for factory default.

It's worth mentioning that each picture mode resets individually and also independent of input (OTA, HDMI, etc.).

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #549 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post

you need to pick method 10 point IRE instead of 2 points

Not only that, but once it's set to 10 point IRE, you will have to punch in the RGB numbers for each step of IRE, from 100 down to 0. Start at 100 IRE, enter the numbers for red, green and blue, then go back up to change IRE to 90 and repeat.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #550 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngronnx1 View Post

Hi everyone I have the ld550 model lg tv and I updated it to the 06.00.04 firmware and now my mp4 files do not play with sound anymore from my external hdd like they did before the firmware update.
Is there a fix for this or a firmware i can download to return to its previous state?

I have absolutely no experience with mp4 playback on this TV, but I don't think there is any way to go back to a previous firmware.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #551 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngronnx1 View Post

Hi everyone I have the ld550 model lg tv and I updated it to the 06.00.04 firmware and now my mp4 files do not play with sound anymore from my external hdd like they did before the firmware update.
Is there a fix for this or a firmware i can download to return to its previous state?


I would call the LG Customer Service line and see if they can research this for you.

Please, if you find a solution for this, post a reply as this could be a serious problem for all owners if the firmware update disables sound for mp4 files.
Phase700B is offline  
post #552 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Newbie
 
Vortextk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a new 40''+ hdtv and the 42ld520 has my interested piqued. I'm thinking no to plasma, I've read numerous times that they do get hotter and that is actually a very real concern for where I'm putting it. My old samsung produced enough heat already and it was only a lcd tv. The lighting overall is also random, I'm usually up late in the dark but also during the day it gets quite bright too.

I don't know if I should care about the 120hz on a tv or if I should stick to cheaper. It will be used for like 30% console gaming, 50-60% pc use, with the occasional blu-ray here and there as leftover. Budget is a concern and it seems like I can get something bigger for the same or cheaper at the same size but at only 60hz, which I've had for awhile and been happy with.

Was actually looking at the 450 series as well, though only 2 hdmi inputs is kind of annoying as I need 3.
Vortextk is offline  
post #553 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Newbie
 
youngronnx1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I would call the LG Customer Service line and see if they can research this for you.

Please, if you find a solution for this, post a reply as this could be a serious problem for all owners if the firmware update disables sound for mp4 files.

Alright I will give them a call tonight
youngronnx1 is offline  
post #554 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Member
 
tomstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Guys, for your various inputs. I did, however, notice that individual Backlight settings are actually grayed out - and not subject to operate individual settings - when one selects any of the default Energy Saving options, as I had rather suspected — see my prior inquiry in that regard. So you pays yer money and takes yer choice — either individual backlight settings or the unit's various options for energy savings. Soooo — is it better to just select AUTO and be done with it or use the backlight settings as per Phase? T.
tomstan is offline  
post #555 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 02:58 PM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstan View Post

Thanks Guys, for your various inputs. I did, however, notice that individual Backlight settings are actually grayed out - and not subject to operate individual settings - when one selects any of the default Energy Saving options, as I had rather suspected — see my prior inquiry in that regard. So you pays yer money and takes yer choice — either individual backlight settings or the unit's various options for energy savings. Soooo — is it better to just select AUTO and be done with it or use the backlight settings as per Phase? T.

That's completely up to you. I've gotten used to the AUTO setting, which sets backlight to 0 in a fairly dark room with no direct light hitting the screen. I've also seen it go up to around 40 or so with a lot of ambient light or daylight.

If you find that you like a particular backlight setting, one that works with your lighting and is not overly bright, just stick with that. Especially, if you have a dedicated media room. I watch my TV in a fairly large living room with different amounts of light throughout the day. That's why I like it on AUTO.

Keep in mind that the different energy savings settings all lock backlight at a certain level, with "maximum" being zero. AUTO is not locked (obviously ) and will change with the amount of ambient light.

And by the way, the energy savings settings only affect the backlight. Nothing else, in case you were wondering. So, if you want to be in total control, just set backlight manually.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #556 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Member
 
ccdoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running into an interesting situation. My computer is connected via HDMI to the tv, so in the input configuration i set it as PC (which seems to change settings and what you can access). I am unable to change many of the options in the expert control setup for the profiles. For example I cannot change any of the Color Management System settings (tints and colors), and a few of the beginning options in the expert list.

I am wondering if there is any reason to use the PC setting as it seems like it might be what i want but without those settings i feel like i am missing the final setup of the tv's picture. But setting it to PC flashes the screen like its turning off some processing or something making it quicker response. I guess i just dont know enough to understand what it might be doing in PC setting and if its worth it to leave it on that and just make the picture as good as i can without the color and tint controls.

Thoughts?
ccdoggy is offline  
post #557 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdoggy View Post

I am running into an interesting situation. My computer is connected via HDMI to the tv, so in the input configuration i set it as PC (which seems to change settings and what you can access). I am unable to change many of the options in the expert control setup for the profiles. For example I cannot change any of the Color Management System settings (tints and colors), and a few of the beginning options in the expert list.

I am wondering if there is any reason to use the PC setting as it seems like it might be what i want but without those settings i feel like i am missing the final setup of the tv's picture. But setting it to PC flashes the screen like its turning off some processing or something making it quicker response. I guess i just dont know enough to understand what it might be doing in PC setting and if its worth it to leave it on that and just make the picture as good as i can without the color and tint controls.

Thoughts?

I stopped using my laptop and went with a stand-alone blu-ray player, but when I used the computer, I did not have HDMI input set to PC. If all it does is disable certain features (and not add any particular benefit), I would definitely leave it at default HDMI. Much more stuff to play with!

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #558 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Member
 
ccdoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

I stopped using my laptop and went with a stand-alone blu-ray player, but when I used the computer, I did not have HDMI input set to PC. If all it does is disable certain features (and not add any particular benefit), I would definitely leave it at default HDMI. Much more stuff to play with!

good point. I mainly asked to find out if there might be a decrease in response time or not with it on PC. or any other advantages like that.
ccdoggy is offline  
post #559 of 5077 Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 PM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdoggy View Post

good point. I mainly asked to find out if there might be a decrease in response time or not with it on PC. or any other advantages like that.

I doubt it. You could always measure it, of course. Hook up a monitor, or use the built-in screen, if it's a laptop. Then hook up the TV as a secondary display and clone the picture. Run the test at http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html. Compare the lag with input set to PC and regular HDMI.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #560 of 5077 Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Newbie
 
zamout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, this thread is just amazing! I'm actually from Europe and about a week ago got my 42LD650 set. I think there are some differences between US and Europe models since my set has only 100hz panel for instance. There might be some other dissimilarities but i'm not aware of them. However i tried Phase700B settings and they were just spot on! In my opinion LG should give a fat check to Phase since he has made their TV's look far better than other models in the same price range!

The only downside i have noticed so far is the missing DTS support for MVK videos played through external harddrive. I read somewhere that this might be fixed in the future release of a new firmware. Well we'll see about that. Now i'm just anxiously waiting for Phase's new OTA/Cable settings!

I have one question though. How much do you have to pay for let's say 42ld650 set in the US? I got this one for 580 which is about 650 $. From local retailers i'd had to pay over 700 for this one.. Fortunately I found a great sale!
zamout is offline  
post #561 of 5077 Old 10-06-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamout View Post

First of all, this thread is just amazing! I'm actually from Europe and about a week ago got my 42LD650 set. I think there are some differences between US and Europe models since my set has only 100hz panel for instance. There might be some other dissimilarities but i'm not aware of them. However i tried Phase700B settings and they were just spot on! In my opinion LG should give a fat check to Phase since he has made their TV's look far better than other models in the same price range!

I have one question though. How much do you have to pay for let's say 42ld650 set in the US? I got this one for 580 € which is about 650 $. From local retailers i'd had to pay over 700€ for this one.. Fortunately I found a great sale!

First of all, congratulations on the new "telly"! And welcome to the thread. We're glad the settings are working for you! *EDIT* There is a lot of material here in this thread so skim through and hopefully you will find answers and comments that help you get the most out of your new TV.

Here's a link for popular prices here in the US:
http://bountii.com/product-6474-lg-4...1080p-lcd.html

I've got to go for now, but stop back often and let us know if you have any questions or comments! Cheers!
Phase700B is offline  
post #562 of 5077 Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Mobydickulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 42ld550 showed up at my door Monday afternoon and we're loving it so far. I haven't had a ton of time to configure it other than plugging in Phase's OTA settings which, with just a minor tweak here and there, look great. Setup was very easy and hooking up the wired network connection was a snap.

The only question I've run into so far pertains to Netflix streaming. I realize that PQ is going to depend on connection speed and such (we're getting one or two bars short of full quality generally), but would anyone care to share their Netflix video settings? Things look much better than they did through my 360 (though admittedly that was on the old TV) but going into the menu, which looks different when you're playing a Netflix movie by the way, the settings are all over the place. I think the backlight was cranked to 70 or so if memory serves. I played with things a bit but I'd love some feedback and settings from others since I hadn't seen any mention of Netflix settings yet.
Mobydickulous is offline  
post #563 of 5077 Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As you've noticed, there aren't nearly as many settings for Netflix as for other inputs. I'd try Phase's Cinema numbers, either OTA or HDMI. Make sure to turn off TruMotion!

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #564 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobydickulous View Post

My 42ld550 showed up at my door Monday afternoon and we're loving it so far. I haven't had a ton of time to configure it other than plugging in Phase's OTA settings which, with just a minor tweak here and there, look great. Setup was very easy and hooking up the wired network connection was a snap.

The only question I've run into so far pertains to Netflix streaming. I realize that PQ is going to depend on connection speed and such (we're getting one or two bars short of full quality generally), but would anyone care to share their Netflix video settings? Things look much better than they did through my 360 (though admittedly that was on the old TV) but going into the menu, which looks different when you're playing a Netflix movie by the way, the settings are all over the place. I think the backlight was cranked to 70 or so if memory serves. I played with things a bit but I'd love some feedback and settings from others since I hadn't seen any mention of Netflix settings yet.

I have not posted any settings for NetCast or any of it's applications since I've found they vary quite a bit. Henry is right, try using the OTA/Cable preset settings, with some tweaking. All that is offered for NetCast are the modified presets.

I use mostly Cinema and Sports. I set up 4 of the presets with slightly different settings depending on which NetCast service I am viewing. And I have now settled on NetFlix and YouTube. I have found, however, that while I never use Dynamic Contrast for any other modes, for some reason when viewing YouTube it looks best with Cinema and Dynamic Contrast set to Medium. I've noticed that the Medium setting in Dynamic Contrast seems less aggresive on the picture than even Low.

With less settings available for NetCast video, it's what looks best to you and whether it's Netflix, YouTube, or VuDu you are viewing.
Phase700B is offline  
post #565 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Even though I don't use Dynamic Contrast, I noticed the same thing. medium has less of an impact than low. Weird.

The lack of settings for Netcast is one of the reasons why I bought a stand-alone blu-ray player, by the way. When I watch Netflix now, I get to watch it with the TV's ISF Expert settings, because it's a separate HDMI source.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #566 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Member
 
tomstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Henry: you wrote: "...I've gotten used to the AUTO setting, which sets backlight to 0 in a fairly dark room with no direct light hitting the screen. I've also seen it go up to around 40 or so with a lot of ambient light or daylight." How do you know that, if the backlight is greyed out on Auto. I would love to check mine in that regard to see if it is indeed functioning properly. T.
tomstan is offline  
post #567 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM
VBB
Advanced Member
 
VBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a line-conditioner/surge protector that everything plugs into. The display lets me toggle between currently used voltage and amperage. Voltage is of course always constant (120), but amperage shows the amount of power used by all the equipment that's running at the time. It shows this in .1 increments.

With everything off/stand-by, it shows 0.5 ampere. With the TV on and at 30 backlight, for example, it shows 1.5 ampere. With backlight at 100 it shows 3.3 ampere. With backlight at 0 it shows 1.0 ampere.

This gives you a pretty good idea of how much power you're saving by using a lower backlight, if that's what you're aiming for.

Another thing I noticed last night is that with backlight on AUTO, it still caps at whatever you had it set to before AUTO. For example, Phase has it set to 28 for his Expert 1 OTA setting. If you were to put Energy Savings on AUTO, it would lower the backlight down to zero at the low end, but only ever increase it up to 28. I discovered this when I set backlight to 100 and then to AUTO. Gotta play with it some more, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

To answer your question, though, as far as the numbers for backlight when it's set to AUTO, I'm just guessing based on the ampere readout.

By the way, the only other option that I've seen to influence amperage is Dynamic Contrast. With backlight at zero and Dynamic Contrast ON, amperage goes down one more notch to 0.9.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

VBB is offline  
post #568 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

By the way, the only other option that I've seen to influence amperage is Dynamic Contrast. With backlight at zero and Dynamic Contrast ON, amperage goes down one more notch to 0.9.

I saw that also Henry, regarding using Auto Energy mode and seeing it not go over whatever the Picture mode is set at. Smart guys those LG engineers!

That is really interesting about the Dynamic Contrast. Maybe that's why it looks less aggressive than the Low setting. It seems as though Dynamic Contrast may be affecting more than one parameter in the operation of the TV video circuits.

Like I said, I don't use dynamic Contrast with other settings, but YouTube videos seemed to look better in most cases with it on medium. I wouldn't recommend it for NetFlix though, or probably VuDu either.


On a side note. . . methinks Henry is getting a kick out of all the adjustments we get on this bargain priced LCD TV!
Phase700B is offline  
post #569 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wondering how MrVizio is doing? We haven't heard from him in a few days and I think he was going to try an exchange on his TV.

Hope all is well and would also like to know if getting a different TV solved his issue.
Phase700B is offline  
post #570 of 5077 Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Newbie
 
fordescort's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phase700B,
I'm confused at this point when entering HDM 1 ISF expert settings (in bold);

HDMI 1 Input
ISF Expert 1
Backlight 27
Contrast 84
Brightness 51
H. Sharpness 75
V, Sharpness 68
Color 44
Tint 0

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Dig Noise Reduct. Off
Black Level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color Gamut BT709
Edge Enhancer Low
xvYCC Auto
Expert Pattern Off (normaly)
Color Filter Off

Color Temperature Warm
Gamma 2.2
Method 10 Point IRE
Pattern Outer (Inner if not using a calibration DVD)

Luminance 100IRE 110
IRE Adj. Points R, G, B
100 0, 2, -3
90 -2, 2, -14
80 -2, 1, -10
70 -1, 0, -15
60 -2, 0, -16
50 2, 1, -14
40 4, 3, -14
30 2, 2, -10
20 2, 2, -11
10 1, 0, -6
0 0,-1, -4

Clr. Man. System

Red Color -19
Red Tint -3
Green Color -5
Green Tint -6
Blue Color -7
Blue Tint -2
Yellow Color 6
Yellow Tint -11
Cyan Color -3
Cyan Tint -1
Magenta Color -10
Magenta Tint 6

Unfotunately, I'm posting this at work and am not in front of the TV (47LD520). Can you please "dumbdown" the procedure from here.

Thanks in advance.
fordescort is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off