Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5077 Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 55LD520. I was going to do it, regardless, but now I'm curious... I remember reading last year that there are NO IPS panels bigger than 47" produced by anybody, yet some people seem to think some of the 55" might be IPS...

Can anyone with a 55LD520 confirm their panel is an IPS? Or at least look at their panel code to see if W is the fourth letter?

I'd like to know before I go out to my local dealer and ask them to find one in the back... haha.

Thanks in advance!

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5077 Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 55LD520. I was going to do it, regardless, but now I'm curious... I remember reading last year that there are NO IPS panels bigger than 47" produced by anybody, yet some people seem to think some of the 55" might be IPS...

Can anyone with a 55LD520 confirm their panel is an IPS? Or at least look at their panel code to see if W is the fourth letter?

I'd like to know before I go out to my local dealer and ask them to find one in the back... haha.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 55ld520 and I will check it out for you let me know where can I find the panel code and I will let you know tonight when I get home
post #723 of 5077 Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxstar View Post

Hi all,

I have spent the last 2-3 weeks researching my next tv purchase. I ended up buying the 55ld650 as this seemed to have the best picture when comparing all the tv's in the shop and after researching it seems that this tv has the least amount of chronic problems (i.e jittering, image retention, flicker etc.). However after getting it home and spending the last few days tinkering with it I am a little disappointed with the black levels, . I am thinking of exchanging it for a samsung lcd 55c650. Does anyone think the c650 will be the better tv or should I just stick with the LG.

I am worried that the lack of black is just an issue with stepping up to a big 55" tv and that all large lcd's will exibit this problem.

Apart from the black the rest of the tv is great, the colours etc are great when there is not a lot of dark scenes.

My main purpose is gaming 60% (pc gaming) and blu-rays (40%).

Thanks for any advice.

The larger the screen the father back you need to sit, which, will affect your perceived black level. And it does seem black levels are not as good on the 55 and 60 inch screens. That said, if you use reduced room lighting and some sort of low wattage bias light behind the TV it may look better. You don't say what level you have the backlight, brightness, and contrast set to nor what picture mode you are using. That would be helpful for us to give advice.

The Samsung may or may not be better. It does have a shiny gloss type screen as I remember if that would be a factor. However lag time may be worse also.
post #724 of 5077 Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeffreyxnothing View Post

I decided to go with the 47LD650. I am receiving it around Thursday this week and will let all the gamers now how it goes. I have heard that the input lag is not noticeable by several people and I will see for myself to let you guys now this weekend.

Looking forward to your review.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and am really leaning toward the 47ld650. Took a look today at similar LD models available in local stores and I think they look pretty good. Blacks are not super sharp and sometimes take on a bit of a shiny appearance, if that makes sense. But the overall presentation is pretty nice.
post #725 of 5077 Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM

sodaboy is the panel number the same as the serial number? if so the fourth character is R. Also I tried to get the best pic I could of the pixels close up for you but I have a terrible camera. I found this chart online also and tried to compare and see what one it is and I cant tell that well so I hope this helps you some. I also tried the lag test with just my laptop and the TV and couldn't get that great of pictures either. I was getting in the upper 80's with the ISF Expert 1 and about mid 30's with game mode, I didn't get very in depth with the variation of settings because I was getting frustrated with the picture results with my joke of a camera.
LL
LL
post #726 of 5077 Old 10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Thanks for taking the picture of your LCD panel. I really can't tell the panel type either...

Hopefully someone can...

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #727 of 5077 Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 AM

Does anyone know what size batteries the 47LD650 remote takes? I wanna be ready when it comes in.
post #728 of 5077 Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know what size batteries the 47LD650 remote takes? I wanna be ready when it comes in.

lol love the enthusiasm, way to be on your toes but it should come with them
post #729 of 5077 Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Haha. Yeah it does come with batteries.

Did anyone notice that there was another (minor) firmware update yesterday? We're now at 08.00.05. No idea what's new.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #730 of 5077 Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Haha. Yeah it does come with batteries.

Did anyone notice that there was another (minor) firmware update yesterday? We're now at 08.00.05. No idea what's new.

*EDIT* NVM, Connected up today and it is now downloading as soon as I connected the cable.

? ? Henry, is that for Netcast update or TV update? I still am at 6.00.04. I haven;t gotten any more update notices and I've tried to force an update and it came back no updates. I'll check the LG website for the 42LD550. Do you think these last few updates are model specific?
post #731 of 5077 Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

*EDIT* NVM, Connected up today and it is now downloading as soon as I connected the cable.

? ? Henry, is that for Netcast update or TV update? I still am at 6.00.04. I haven;t gotten any more update notices and I've tried to force an update and it came back no updates. I'll check the LG website for the 42LD550. Do you think these last few updates are model specific?

Hey Nick, with these updates it's impossible to tell if they are only for Netcast or also for the TV. The one last week contained the big Netflix update with a completely new interface and a search feature. I didn't notice any other change as far as Netcast. What I did notice, though, was a change in default backlight from 70 down to 65 in Standard mode. That's the only thing that was immediately obvious to me, because I remembered the 70. The other thing I saw was less sensitivity for AUTO backlight. Before the update last week, my TV would go straight to maximum savings (backlight at zero) when there was no direct light hitting the screen, even in a fairly well lit room. Now, it seems as if backlight stays at whatever maximum was set, and only goes down to zero when there is close to no ambient light. I do prefer the way it is now. This could all just be my imagination, of course

The update from last night supposedly fixed DLNA issues, according to other threads. Haven't noticed anything else. You should see those updates on your 550 for sure. All Internet-capable LG TVs seem to update to the same firmwares, regardless of the model.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #732 of 5077 Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 PM

So what do all yall have your settings at for the 47LD650? I want the best picture possible!
post #733 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Nick, with these updates it's impossible to tell if they are only for Netcast or also for the TV. The one last week contained the big Netflix update with a completely new interface and a search feature. I didn't notice any other change as far as Netcast. What I did notice, though, was a change in default backlight from 70 down to 65 in Standard mode.

The update from last night supposedly fixed DLNA issues, according to other threads. Haven't noticed anything else. You should see those updates on your 550 for sure. All Internet-capable LG TVs seem to update to the same firmwares, regardless of the model.

There were a lot of changes for me coming from 6.00.04. I can connect now with VuDu without a lot of network changing. I can use the "auto: configuration for network settings which did not work for me before. I had 2 different network hookups here for my home network. Now both work using auto configure. So I can view trailers on Vudu, although now even selecting SD quality Vudu plays haltingly on my 3mb/s (2.3 -2.7) AT&T DSL line.

The "auto" light settings seems about the same on my TV. I have been using pain. Wonder if anyone else has that? This happens even if I connect directly to my DSL modem. Well, it's 6 -7 years old and I kepp putting off changing it to my newer one.
post #734 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

i don't plan on going with a 550+ model because I don't need the network capabilities.

Do you think I'm really losing anything by not having constant firmware updates? If anything at least I know my TV won't be bricked by a firmware push
post #735 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Okay Henry, here are the promised ATI HTPC video settings for HDMI Expert1 & 2.

I've gone over these numerous times and and these seem to be pretty decent and in some ways, even more balanced than what I got out of HDMI Expert 1 & 2 for DVD Blu-ray.

The thing I notice is I get some color/brightness/contrast imbalance depending on what internet video source I am viewing, which, I guess is to be expected. But overall these are pretty good and look very good when playing a Blu-ray through my HTPC.

One thing I am wondering about with any of the settings is the possible difference between the models and LCD panels in the "LD" line. Based on your comments and others, I don't think the settings always translate 100% from say a 42LD550, to a 52LD550, a 60LD550, etc. The settings may be close, but in some cases not translate well, which we've already mentioned elsewhere in this thread. In addition, a few posts back I posted an updated Expert 2 Daytime setting with Energy Saving set to minimum and Dynamic Contrast set to Medium. I remember you saying on your TV you don't care for the use of Dynamic Contrast because it crushes or masks details in dark areas I believe. On my 42LD550, it seems to do the opposite. It seems to bring out details in darker areas while also reducing "white crush" in adjacent very bright areas of the scene (such as a bright sky with puffy clouds).
Anyway, I guess I'm " just sayin' " as they say.

So, once again for all the other viewers of this thread, these settings were made with my HP s5560f HTPC with the ATI HD5450 graphics card.

Hey Phase, will these settings work for my 47ld650?
post #736 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM

I wanted to see if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I have a dvi-hdmi cable and I plug it into the TV from my computer and have picture and everything. I then plug in the audio wire from the pc to the RGB/DVI audio in on the back but there is no sound. According to the manual the hdmi 1 and 2 inputs should be able to receive audio from the RGB/DVI in. When I unplug the HDMI the sounds comes on. When I plug it back in the sound cuts off. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
post #737 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 12:31 PM

Hello all,

I've been searching for an answer, but I can't find it. I own LG 42LD550 TV for European countries. It is Wireless ready, as I read everywhere, I just need to get an LG Wireless Dongle. And, I got it today. Now, I plugged it in, and I can't find any options about network setup. I must say, that this TV doesn't have two USB ports, no LAN port as TV for USA market. Also, it has disabled video playback over USB, which I have enabled through service menu. I want to know, if it is possible to set up wireless anyway (through service menu or firmware update maybe, but I don't know how to update firmware if it is possible).

Thank you in advance...
post #738 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramar View Post

Hello all,

I've been searching for an answer, but I can't find it. I own LG 42LD550 TV for European countries. It is Wireless ready, as I read everywhere, I just need to get an LG Wireless Dongle. And, I got it today. Now, I plugged it in, and I can't find any options about network setup. I must say, that this TV doesn't have two USB ports, no LAN port as TV for USA market. Also, it has disabled video playback over USB, which I have enabled through service menu. I want to know, if it is possible to set up wireless anyway (through service menu or firmware update maybe, but I don't know how to update firmware if it is possible).

Thank you in advance...

Are you sure it's 550 or the Euro equivalent? "Typically" if a display has internet capabilities it will have an eithernet port.
post #739 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM

How can I determine that? Everything is pointing that it is real 550. In Service Menu I can see some Wireless parameters, but I cannot remember if they are only statistic parameters or configurable parameters. I'll see if I can change something tomorrow there, now when I got an LG Wireless dongle. Problem is that I enter the service menu over Sony PSP, and I borrowed that PSP to my friend. I'll try tomorrow when I get my PSP back.
post #740 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramar View Post

How can I determine that? Everything is pointing that it is real 550. In Service Menu I can see some Wireless parameters, but I cannot remember if they are only statistic parameters or configurable parameters. I'll see if I can change something tomorrow there, now when I got an LG Wireless dongle. Problem is that I enter the service menu over Sony PSP, and I borrowed that PSP to my friend. I'll try tomorrow when I get my PSP back.

You might wanna try the guys over at the UK LG forums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum/

What does the manual say about networking?

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #741 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard_x View Post

i don't plan on going with a 550+ model because I don't need the network capabilities.

Do you think I'm really losing anything by not having constant firmware updates? If anything at least I know my TV won't be bricked by a firmware push

The firmware updates seem to be mainly, if not exclusively, for the Netcast features. So, unless you're a Netflix user you're not missing much (yet).

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #742 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:

There were a lot of changes for me coming from 6.00.04. I can connect now with VuDu without a lot of network changing. I can use the "auto: configuration for network settings which did not work for me before. I had 2 different network hookups here for my home network. Now both work using auto configure. So I can view trailers on Vudu, although now even selecting SD quality Vudu plays haltingly on my 3mb/s (2.3 -2.7) AT&T DSL line.

The "auto" light settings seems about the same on my TV. I have been using pain. Wonder if anyone else has that? This happens even if I connect directly to my DSL modem. Well, it's 6 -7 years old and I kepp putting off changing it to my newer one.

What do you mean by "I have been using pain."?

Yeah, 3mb/s is on the slow end these days, especially for Vudu HD. Should be fine for SD, though. That's good that your networking issues have been fixed.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #743 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Just to plug in dongle, and setup networking... I'll try to contact guys at the UK LG Forum that you gave me... Thank you very much.

BTW. At official Serbian LG site, for this model stands that it has Wireless AV Connection.
post #744 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:

So what do all yall have your settings at for the 47LD650? I want the best picture possible!

Try Phase's many settings. They will most likely work on the 650.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #745 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Hope you're enjoying your new toy!

Once you have it dialed in, I would love to hear your impressions of color, clarity, black levels, sound, blu-ray output, sports viewing, etc.. I have been considering this same model against the Samsung LN46C610/630 which gets really solid reviews.

Thanks.
post #746 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Phase, will these settings work for my 47ld650?

For PC use they might, but as I mention they were made for an ATI HD5450 graphics card, so it depends on the settings of your graphics card in your computer.

For all other settings including settings for HDMI and DVD/Blu-ray use, see posts # 306 and # 314.
post #747 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wanted to see if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I have a dvi-hdmi cable and I plug it into the TV from my computer and have picture and everything. I then plug in the audio wire from the pc to the RGB/DVI audio in on the back but there is no sound. According to the manual the hdmi 1 and 2 inputs should be able to receive audio from the RGB/DVI in. When I unplug the HDMI the sounds comes on. When I plug it back in the sound cuts off. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

The TV "looks" for audio supplied by the HDMI cable device when it is connected to the TV, so that would explain your sound issue. With a DVI-HDMI cable, no audio is being supplied and the TV is expecting audio supplied with the video. Not sure how you would get the TV to use audio from another source with a DVI-HDMI cable. It might be time for a new video card. An ATI HD5450 like I have can be bought for $40 -$50 if your mobo will accept PCIe.
post #748 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What do you mean by "I have been using pain."?

Yeah, 3mb/s is on the slow end these days, especially for Vudu HD. Should be fine for SD, though. That's good that your networking issues have been fixed.

I'm not sure where the "pain" thing came from??? Although lately, there has been a little pain dealing with all the things I'm trying to get done.

I meant to say I have been using the minimum settings for the Energy Saving feature. It is interesting, that if I try and manually set the backlight to a similar settings that "Minimum" does it doesn't quite look the same. I seem to get better black level with Minimum, than say, just lowering backlight.

Yeah, 3mb/s is not the best for streaming, but though my HTPC, I watch program off HuLu and it looks pretty good to almost HD. At times with HuLu, I sometimes forget I'm watching video from the HTPC. Wonder why VuDu is so touchy about speed when HuLu doesn't seem to be. Even with SD quality on VuDu I get a lot of waiting for buffering. I'm guessing it has to do with their server set up, and of course, less buffering capability in the LG. This is where I wish their were some way to get LG to divulge more about the innards of the TV.

I tried an experiment with HuLu and actually pulled the network plug and the video with continue to play for 8 - 10 seconds before it stops. Leads me to believe that HuLu and windows does a better job of buffering.
post #749 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Hey Phase or anyone else, I have a situation with the new TV. On my old plasma I could play back 720p .mkv videos via VLC from my computer no sweat. Now on my new tv there is a little bit of a stutter or lag every so often. Its very sutble and can hardly be seen by someone not paying attention to it but it is very annoying. I do not have this problem with my playback from the ps3 blu-ray movies. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
post #750 of 5077 Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Phase or anyone else, I have a situation with the new TV. On my old plasma I could play back 720p .avi videos via VLC from my computer no sweat. Now on my new tv there is a little bit of a stutter or lag every so often. Its very sutble and can hardly be seen by someone not paying attention to it but it is very annoying. I do not have this problem with my playback from the ps3 blu-ray movies. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

There have been a few people who have complained of the "stuttering" you mention. Search the thread and see if you can find what they did. I know it's large, but that usually helps point in the right direction.

You may have to try different settings for judder, blur, and Real Cinema, etc.

I can't remember what may have caused this. It may be the result of frame rate settings in you PC vs processing settings on the TV.

If you find a remedy, please contribute by posting you results since others may have the same issue.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page