Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 12:33 PM 09-01-2010
Note: Post #1 and #2 have more "Calibration Aids".

Here are the spread sheet (in notepad form) picture calibration tables for the LG 42LD550 I own. I will add tables for each input I have adjusted. This is a lot of work and hours of run time and adjusting using a Spyder 3 Pro, and later an i1 Display 2, with light meter and color charts; as well as the Avia DVD , and final viewing using several personal reference DVDs, "Seabiscuit" being a favorite for it's color balance and mono chrome picture content. I feel confident that these settings should work for the xxLD520 as well.

I have settings for normal viewing in daylight conditions, night time, and for HDMI DVD inputs ,a warm setting, as well as a bit cooler than 6500K setting for people like my wife who prefer that picture color temperature.

Again, I will add the tables as I complete them so check back as I edit and add them.

Again, there are slightly different settings for each of the Expert1 and Expert2 settings I have provided so you can choose which you prefer for your various lighting and viewing conditions. As always, there may be slight adjustments to each of the values I have provided based on your particular TV and viewing conditions, especially in Backlight, Contrast, and Brightness settings. For DVD playback, I suggest you set the TV up to one or both of the Expert settings, and then make any video adjustments that your particular DVD or Blu-ray player may have. That being said, I hope these serve at least as a baseline for much better settings than the factory "torch" settings they use on stores.

For first time owners, a very quick picture setup using Cinema picture mode is a few posts down (#65). It will get you familiar with the menu and help provide a little better picture than the factory setting in the Cinema mode.

*EDIT* These settings were updated on 1-1-2011 and include new possible ranges of adjustment to allow for user taste and hopefully still provide a decent image. As always, these are baseline settings and your TV and lighting conditions may vary.Check post #314 for Preset (User) picture mode settings.

LG 42LD550 HDMI 3 Input ISF EXPERT2 LG BD550 COOL 4-5-11 Usable Range.txt 1.578125k . file

LG XXLD550 HDMI CINEMA (User) PICTURE 12-4-10 Usable Range.txt 0.8876953125k . file

LG 42LD550 OTA_Cable ISF Expert 1 Warm 12-1-10 Usable Range.txt 1.3505859375k . file

LG 42LD550 HDMI 1 ISF EXPERT 1 Warm 12-19-10 Usable Range.txt 1.4609375k . file

LG 42LD550 OTA_Cable ISF EXPERT2 Cool TXT 12-1-10 Usable Range.txt 1.2578125k . file

fizix's Avatar fizix 12:39 PM 09-01-2010
I just got my 47LD520 last week and I love the picture quality. I also love the fact that the price has already gone up by $100 since I bought it. That makes me feel like I got a great deal!
DrLcMama0202's Avatar DrLcMama0202 01:16 PM 09-01-2010
This thread has really peaked my interest in this tv, I got a few questions for anyone willing to answer.

Is there any difference between the 520 and the 550 apart from the one less HDMI port and loss of the App ability?

How would you rate the latency for time sensitive stuff, namely Computer connectivity and gaming?

And finally, everything I've seen in this thread suggests that these TVs are at a disadvantage when it comes to digital audio pass through; what are the pass through limitations of this TV? Will I be able to pass though 7.1 TRUEHD? (I know if you can decode TrueHD you are already going though an AVS first).

Thank you all in advance!
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 01:53 PM 09-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLcMama0202 View Post

This thread has really peaked my interest in this tv, I got a few questions for anyone willing to answer.

I'll do my best with what I know after 2 weeks of ownership and adjusting.
I will tell you the picture quality is outstanding for a TV in this price range, especially after adjusting.

Quote:

Is there any difference between the 520 and the 550 apart from the one less HDMI port and loss of the App ability?

None that I know of. According to the LG website the LCD panel is also 2.4ms in both the 550 and the 520.

Quote:

How would you rate the latency for time sensitive stuff, namely Computer connectivity and gaming?

I have my 42LD550 connected to the internet as well as an HP s5560f computer used as an HTPC. So far I have not noticed any latency issues with either the direct (wired CAT5) connection to the TV or using an HDMI connection with my HTPC. I do not have a game system so I cannot comment about any gaming performance.

Quote:

And finally, everything I've seen in this thread suggests that these TVs are at a disadvantage when it comes to digital audio pass through; what are the pass through limitations of this TV? Will I be able to pass though 7.1 TRUEHD? (I know if you can decode TrueHD you are already going though an AVS first).

Am not sure what you wish to know about "pass through". Are you specaking of connecting a source first to an AVR and then to the TV via an HDMI cable, or first to the TV and then from the TV digital optical output to the AVR?
AFAIK, according to my status lights on my Boston AVR7120, the TV will pass through Dolby Digital II and Dolby Digital Plus, using the digital optical output. I don't know of any TV using an optical output, that will give you 7.1 TrueHD since it would be a bandwidth issue. This set only has standard analog R+L outputs, besides the digital optical output, no HDMI out. Can anyone else help with this one?
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 02:33 PM 09-01-2010
For those who wish to just get the TV up and running with minimum adjustment, here are a few settings in the Cinema (User) mode that give a reasonably good picture without the high backlight and other issues.

TV OTA(Antenna) or Cable Input

Cinema (User) Settings Range

Energy Saving Off for daytime. ( Try the Minimum or Medium setting at night with back light set at 40 - 43.)

Back light 40 ( 25 - 43 ) (Use back light at 43 & Energy Saving button set at Minimum for night time viewing.)
Contrast 85 ( 75 - 89 ) Higher will likely White Clip
Brightness 53 ( 50 - 60 )
Sharpness 67 ( 50 - 70 ) Higher than 50 will cause "halos")

Color 43 (42 - 50 )
Tint G1

Color Temperature W50

Advanced Control
Dynamic Contrast Off ( Or Medium for a little pop. Low or High cause excessive "black crush")
Dynamic Color Off
Clear White Off
Skin Color 3
Noise Reduction Off

Dig Noise Redt. Off
Gamma Low
Black Level Auto
Eye Care Off
Real Cinema Off
Color Gamut Standard (Wide will give higher saturation)
Darrell6306's Avatar Darrell6306 03:57 PM 09-01-2010
I was considering getting the 520 but ultimately went with the 550 for the apps and internet connectivity plus the extra HDMI port. I also chose LG over Samsung because of everything I had read about the lag being nonexistent. I have tried out Red Dead Redemption and Halo 3 on the 360 and didn't notice any lag whatsoever. Haven't really had a chance to check out any movies yet but I did load up the Avatar BD on the PS3 and skimmed a few scenes, the detail and colors was incredible! Have all my HDMI connections routed through my Onkyo TX-SR705, so not sure of audio pass through capabilities on this tv.
Darrell6306's Avatar Darrell6306 04:03 PM 09-01-2010
Thank you, Phase700B, for sharing your settings. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do something like that and I appreciate it. Will definitely give them a try and see how they look.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 06:19 PM 09-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell6306 View Post

Thank you, Phase700B, for sharing your settings. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do something like that and I appreciate it. Will definitely give them a try and see how they look.

You are very welcome. Please let me know how the settings work for you. I think my 42LD550 is tops also. I have varied the settings I've come up with to see how they might perform in both bright and darker room lighting. So far I am very impressed with the results.

I did not include settings for Judder and Blur, since I need to view more Blu-ray and DVD source material, but for now I have set Judder at 1 , and Blur at 5. I did notice that if a DVD is 24fps, judder should be off. At least with the DVD I tried it seemed that way.

Glad to hear your results for gaming use. Based on the specifications for this series of TVs from LG, I would think it performs very well as a gaming display, as well as use with a HTPC.
Blacklac's Avatar Blacklac 11:59 AM 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I have it connected to my Boston AVR7120 Digital AV receiver and all audio so far has come up Dolby Digital II, unless the particular source is outputing something like mpeg or plain vanilla Dolby Digital. VuDu indicates 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus when connected. Hope this helps.

I have one more question about this. Is it possible to force PCM out of the Optical output, specifically when using Vudu?

The reason I ask, this is going in my bedroom which just has a 2 channel analog amp and 2 bookshelves. I have no way to use the optical input, especially with a DD+ signal. If the TV cam force PCM from the Optical output while receiving Vudu's DD+ signal, any simple DAC would work for me. Otherwise I need a whole new Reciever/Amp, which I don't want to do as my current Amp works perfect for me, or deal with TV speakers.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 12:28 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I have one more question about this. Is it possible to force PCM out of the Optical output, specifically when using Vudu?

The reason I ask, this is going in my bedroom which just has a 2 channel analog amp and 2 bookshelves. I have no way to use the optical input, especially with a DD+ signal. If the TV cam force PCM from the Optical output while receiving Vudu's DD+ signal, any simple DAC would work for me. Otherwise I need a whole new Reciever/Amp, which I don't want to do as my current Amp works perfect for me, or deal with TV speakers.

I see no information on changing the optical output to PCM. LG doesn't seem to specify what the optical output specification is in detail, and I see no options in the audio menu for selecting digital audio options.

How about this for $75?

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-HTR-5140-...item2a09b52b36
Blacklac's Avatar Blacklac 12:41 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:

I see no information on changing the optical output to PCM. LG doesn't seem to specify what the optical output specification is in detail, and I see no options in the audio menu for selecting digital audio options.

How about this for $75?

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-HTR-5140-...item2a09b52b36

Well, it doesn't say anything about being able to decode DD+. DD+ is a HiDef codec and it seems you need a +$300 receiver to be able to decode it. Not what I really want to do just for Vudu.

Maybe down the road I will make the big upgrade to a digital receiver for the bedroom. For now, I hook my Bluray player right to the Amp, so atleast movies can make use of my external speakers.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 01:06 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Maybe down the road I will make the big upgrade to a digital receiver for the bedroom. For now, I hook my Bluray player right to the Amp, so at least movies can make use of my external speakers.

That's all I do in my bedroom. In my previous home I had a 5.1 system in the bedroom and liked it, but mostly for playing music. I rarely used it for movies or satellite TV. Now I just have a simple compact 2.1 system with audio in from satellite and the DVD player. I save the crash and boom sound effects for the main home theater system.

Also, I have found that a lot of the time a 5.1 Dolby sound mix sounds "fuller" than the few 7.1 mixes out there, and even the several forms of DTS. I used to get nuts about the "latest" sound encoding/decoding technology. Now I go for pristine picture quality and good, full, well balanced sound. Sometimes more speakers does not translate to better quality with sound tracks, in my humble opinion.
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 01:46 PM 09-02-2010
hey when playing DVD or mkv files on the TV from my laptop the video seems to lag (like framerate drop). this didnt happen in the other tvs i have tried so it isnt the laptop. is this normal for this tv
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 01:57 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post

hey when playing DVD or mkv files on the TV from my laptop the video seems to lag (like framerate drop). this didnt happen in the other tvs i have tried so it isnt the laptop. is this normal for this tv

What specific model in the "LD" series do you have?

Try turning "Judder" to "0" . If that doesn't work try turning " Blur " to "0" also. Also try turning "Real Cinema" off or on depending what the default was for the input you are using. Lot's of variables, you don't supply much information to get a proper answer.
TipsyMcStagger's Avatar TipsyMcStagger 02:16 PM 09-02-2010
I bought the 42LD550 at BB a few weeks ago for my bedroom. Later that week, I was in Costco and saw the 47LD650 for only $50 more than I paid for the 42LD550, so I bought the 47 and returned the 42.

The first night I had the 47, I noticed some of the sound lag that has been previously mentioned. I am using the internal speakers. A couple of days later, my USB dongle arrived. Once Wifi was connected, the set apparently download some files...I'm assuming it was the latest firmware? I don't know if it has anything to do with the newer firmware or just coincidence but I haven't noticed any sound lag since then.

I paid $800 at Costco for the 47LD650. I think it's a great set for the money.

Tipsy
andrew321's Avatar andrew321 02:41 PM 09-02-2010
I have the 32ld550 and it's going back. Even with the trumotion turned off it's still doing some processing and it gets messed up if the input isn't perfect. Abc primetime shows are unwatchable on it because the motion gets all jerky and stuttering.

Also FYI for the gamers: I have my delay on my av receiver set to around 3 frames in order for the sound to match up to the picture, and there is no game mode to decrease the input lag.
jvl51294's Avatar jvl51294 03:27 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew321 View Post

I have the 32ld550 and it's going back. Even with the trumotion turned off it's still doing some processing and it gets messed up if the input isn't perfect. Abc primetime shows are unwatchable on it because the motion gets all jerky and stuttering.

Also FYI for the gamers: I have my delay on my av receiver set to around 3 frames in order for the sound to match up to the picture, and there is no game mode to decrease the input lag.

Really? No game mode? That seems odd. I was interested in this TV but are hearing that, it's almost a definite no for me. Does anyone have any lag input tests for the LD650?
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 03:32 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:

What about the "Real Cinema" setting I mentioned?
Sorry to hear you are having issues. I have no problem with ABC Prime Time shows or any other network programming.

What is the signal path for your normal TV reception, your game connections? It sounds as though you are putting everything through an AV receiver. With internal processing, especially with HDMI connections, many times it will introduce a delay. You may need to select a "pass through" option on your AV receiver. Sometimes signal processing from one piece of equipment interferes with another.

You need to provide more information to solve an issue. I know there were lag issues with the LED "LH" series of sets, I have experienced no such lags with even my HTPC connected up with HDMI watching HuLu, etc.
Perhaps you need a qualified technician to help with your connections and setup.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 03:42 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl51294 View Post

Really? No game mode? That seems odd. I was interested in this TV but are hearing that, it's almost a definite no for me. Does anyone have any lag input tests for the LD650?

There is a game mode in the video selection menu. The first thing to do is check output options on your game system. It may be set at a "default" value that works best with one kind of TV, but not another. It is imperative to know what signal processing options the TV, input source, and any AV receiver you are using may be set for.

I don't mean to be deriding, but when it comes to game system issues it always seems a user assumes the TV is at fault. This is the digital age and HDMI just went up to 1.4. It's kind of like DVDs or even CDs. There are ALL kinds of protocol and format options in these two media that still cause issues with some DVD or CD players. HDMI is even more complex.
DrLcMama0202's Avatar DrLcMama0202 03:55 PM 09-02-2010
Hey Phase700B thanks for answering my questions from much earlier but I do have another question about the LD520 set.

How do you update the TVs firmware as it has no Ethernet or Wireless capabilities out of box; can you download the update from the manufacture or how do you go about it?
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 05:26 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:

What specific model in the "LD" series do you have?

Try turning "Judder" to "0" . If that doesn't work try turning " Blur " to "0" also. Also try turning "Real Cinema" off or on depending what the default was for the input you are using. Lot's of variables, you don't supply much information to get a proper answer.

sorry

i have the 32LD550 (UK model), running through a HDMI connection from my PC at 1920x1080. using MPC player for mkv files and PowerDVD for DVD's
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 05:33 PM 09-02-2010
Quote:

Hey Phase700B thanks for answering my questions from much earlier but I do have another question about the LD520 set.

How do you update the TVs firmware as it has no Ethernet or Wireless capabilities out of box; can you download the update from the manufacture or how do you go about it?

Good question! Hey I've only had mine 2 weeks, but I would guess the 520 could use a download on a USB flash drive on your home PC. My older Mitsubishi was updated in this way, as was my really old Phillips 26" HDTV. I guess we could check the LG website? I have seen "updates" flash on my LD550 screen twice now, but I assume it was just for the network firmware features... but maybe not.

Something else to research.....
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 06:19 PM 09-02-2010
how do i tell what panel i have btw
andrew321's Avatar andrew321 12:47 AM 09-03-2010
Quote:

What about the "Real Cinema" setting I mentioned?
Sorry to hear you are having issues. I have no problem with ABC Prime Time shows or any other network programming.

What is the signal path for your normal TV reception, your game connections? It sounds as though you are putting everything through an AV receiver. With internal processing, especially with HDMI connections, many times it will introduce a delay. You may need to select a "pass through" option on your AV receiver. Sometimes signal processing from one piece of equipment interferes with another.

You need to provide more information to solve an issue. I know there were lag issues with the LED "LH" series of sets, I have experienced no such lags with even my HTPC connected up with HDMI watching HuLu, etc.
Perhaps you need a qualified technician to help with your connections and setup.

Abc is 720p so real cinema isn't an option. The av receiver is just passing through the video without doing any processing. I had a samsung 240hz tv for a short time that had the same issue. And I don't game, but I don't see any game mode like other tv's have. There's a picture mode called game that affects the picture settings but not the video processing and input lag.
Phase700B's Avatar Phase700B 06:09 AM 09-03-2010
Quote:

Abc is 720p so real cinema isn't an option. The av receiver is just passing through the video without doing any processing. I had a samsung 240hz tv for a short time that had the same issue. And I don't game, but I don't see any game mode like other tv's have. There's a picture mode called game that affects the picture settings but not the video processing and input lag.

I still would take the video receiver out of the connection path and see if you have a problem. I have no such lag or stuttering over network TV programs. What is your signal source for network TV to the receiver? Cable or OTA. Lot's of variables. If you had the same issue with the Samsung, that should tell you something. Connect the TV up to the antenna or cable directly. If there is no "stuttering or lag then, your receiver must be doing some processing you are not aware of. Also, again, you don;t state what your signal source and path is. I understand your frustration, but it is difficult to diagnose a problem without complete information.

Or try resetting the TV back to factory default. Also, when you first powered the TV, did it a produce a menu that had selections for "Home" or "Store" mode? (make sure it was set to Home). I would also try a complete reset . If not you may have gotten a return with a problem in it. Others don't seem to have this problem and in stores I saw no lag or stuttering on the several sets I viewed in stores before I purchased the TV.
topr's Avatar topr 07:57 AM 09-03-2010
Does anyone own the 60" version of this display. I'm interested to hear your impressions and to know if LG was able to avoid uniformity issues with a larger screen...even better, comparisons between the LG, EX500 and the 88UN, kind of a poor mans CCFL 60" shootout.
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 12:21 PM 09-03-2010
oh no this "lagging/framerate drop" thing happens when playing Rock band 2 in the videos i could live with it but when it happens while playing games its very annoying

what the hell is the problem?!?! i never seen such a thing and i doubt i can even explain/show the problem if i wanted a repair or replacement
Bongu's Avatar Bongu 09:11 PM 09-03-2010
I can't get this tv to work with my comcast Dvr remote. Does anybody know what code it uses? It doesn't seem to work with the 0056 that it mentions in the comcast code book.
Darrell6306's Avatar Darrell6306 08:28 AM 09-04-2010
After owning the 46LD550 for two weeks now I have to say I'm quite happy with this tv. Have noticed no lag in gaming whatsoever, the colors and picture detail is incredible. Been playing with the settings posted here but haven't quite settled on where I want it at yet, but that's part of the fun. I absolutely love the options this tv gives the user to fine tune. There is no noise coming from the set and the backlight appears to be uniform across the screen, and no banding at all. The only downside I have come across is some kind of stuttering, but it only happens on certain programming that was never there on my old monitor. Have tried turning on and off different processing with no luck. Certainly not a deal breaker by any any means, just annoying to say the least. May be just my Comcast cable or my Onkyo receiver causing it, still trying out different things. Perhaps a future firmware update will fix it, then this tv will be perfect.
thegam3's Avatar thegam3 12:20 PM 09-04-2010
stuttering happens on mine too, you mean like as if the framerate drops right?
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop