Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5077 Old 09-04-2010, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Good question! Hey I've only had mine 2 weeks, but I would guess the 520 could use a download on a USB flash drive on your home PC. My older Mitsubishi was updated in this way, as was my really old Phillips 26" HDTV. I guess we could check the LG website? I have seen "updates" flash on my LD550 screen twice now, but I assume it was just for the network firmware features... but maybe not.

Something else to research.....

I think you are right with using USB as method of updating the TV's firmware. I did contact LG yesterday about this and all they told me was that currently there is no firmware update available for the 42LD520.

Also this question goes out to anyone: How much of an impact does the label have? When a device is set to PC I have test and now know it will NOT allow you to pick any AR setting besides (16:9) or (4:3), that means (just scan) along with all others are grayed out. Also in PC mode it will not allow you to use any TruMotion functions at all.

Has any one found any unique properties with the other modes?

On another note; what is the difference between the lagom.nl input lag test and the flatpanel.dk test? The lagon is showing 30ms whereas the flatpanel seems to give 50ms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5077 Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell6306 View Post

After owning the 46LD550 for two weeks now I have to say I'm quite happy with this tv. Have noticed no lag in gaming whatsoever, the colors and picture detail is incredible. Been playing with the settings posted here but haven't quite settled on where I want it at yet, but that's part of the fun. I absolutely love the options this tv gives the user to fine tune. There is no noise coming from the set and the backlight appears to be uniform across the screen, and no banding at all. The only downside I have come across is some kind of stuttering, but it only happens on certain programming that was never there on my old monitor. Have tried turning on and off different processing with no luck. Certainly not a deal breaker by any any means, just annoying to say the least. May be just my Comcast cable or my Onkyo receiver causing it, still trying out different things. Perhaps a future firmware update will fix it, then this tv will be perfect.

I have had my 42LD550 for a little over 2 weeks now also and have settled on a set of final picture calibration settings. I have no picture stuttering , excellent screen uniformity and no banding either.
It seems interesting that just about all the "stuttering" or instability issues I have heard so far involve signal sources from a cable box, AV receiver, or some kind of game system; or some combination of these. As I mentioned in an earlier post, HDMI protocol is complex and one wonders if it is somewhat of a crap shoot matching various hardware. One manufacturer may differ from another in the passing of digital signals. Questions of how frame rate is handled and how one device may cause upset to another may also come into play. This also seems to be the case where some have audio lag issues.
So far, I have had a Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, and HP s5560f HTPC all connected directly via HDMI with no issues. I also have an OTA antenna connected for local broadcast.
I do wonder about firmware, and have not seen or heard of any firmware updates on this line of LG models.
post #93 of 5077 Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure if stuttering is even the right word for it. The movement is not smooth like it should be, kind of a sluggish movement at times. Tried the judder at different settings and off and made sure that there wasn't any unnecessary processing going on. But it only does it on certain tv programming, so no big deal, just irritating that it does it at all. Even went out and bought a new HDMI cable and tried it straight from the cable box to the tv with no change. I guess I should try rebooting the cable box and see if that takes care of it. Always the simple things that foul you up, lol...
post #94 of 5077 Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 PM

well i contacted pixmania about the stutter/lag/frameratedrop whatever you call it lol

should get a reply tomorrow
post #95 of 5077 Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Got this to replace a 60" Mitsu DLP (2010 model) - primary use is as an HTPC monitor, so really had to get a good LCD.

Picture quality is outstanding, but one weird issue - my desktop fonts look awful. It's almost like some kind of sharpness issue. Any ideas on any settings on the LG by default that could be causing this? I figure it has to be a setting either on the TV or within the ATI Catalyst control panel (will post in HTPC section for that)

Definitely a great set though! I picked up the 520 and a 32" dynex for the bedroom for about as much as I would have paid for a Samsung C650
post #96 of 5077 Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 PM

Also, is there any service menu or anything to enable 1:1 pixel mapping? By default my 1920x1080 desktop is smaller than the full panel area at 16:9 (have to enable overscan to get it full-size)
post #97 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLcMama0202 View Post

This thread has really peaked my interest in this tv, I got a few questions for anyone willing to answer.

Is there any difference between the 520 and the 550 apart from the one less HDMI port and loss of the App ability?

Thank you all in advance!

some other differences to note:
the 550 has divx video support through USB but the 520 does not
The dynamic contrast ratio is 50k higher on the 550
the 550 is lighter
post #98 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 07:15 AM

By the way, does anyone know what kind of panel the LG 42LD550 uses?
post #99 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moro310 View Post

Also, is there any service menu or anything to enable 1:1 pixel mapping? By default my 1920x1080 desktop is smaller than the full panel area at 16:9 (have to enable overscan to get it full-size)

I think the 1:1 pixel mapping is the just scan option under aspect ratio. I have an ATI card in my computer and the fonts look fuzzy if the overscan option isn't set to 0% in the CCC. It's kind of buried so you have to look in Desktops and Displays- right click on the display at the bottom and choose Configure- then Scaling Options. The slider should be set on 0% for full 1080P display. You may have to drag the slider to the left and back to 0 again to get it to set right. There is a bug in the 10.8 drivers that resets it to overscan after every restart so I had to go back to 10.7.
post #100 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Hi everyone!

I just picked up the 47LD650 from Costco last night for only $799. So far I am extremely happy with this set. Much better than my previous Samsung. But I still think that I have a lot of adjustments to make in the settings. Does anyone have any calibration settings for the 650 model?

Thanks!
post #101 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Oh, I also noticed when I put the judder up, I seem to get a very jerky picture that is very annoying, but only on some channels. Is this normal? I thought putting the judder up is meant to remove this jerkiness? But when I turn it off, I seem to have no jerky picture. If I turn judder off does it basically make it 60hz??

Thanks again for your help
post #102 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Don't have this TV and I'm really looking forward to getting it. Does anyone have any info regarding the input lag? I heard it has an IPS panel so I'm really interested in seeing how good it is for gaming. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant the LD650
post #103 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My PS3 will turn off when my TV turns off through Simpink control, however it sees the TV doesn't really recognize the PS3 and can't turn the PS3 on via simplink since the PS3 won't show up in the simplink menu... anyone have any luck with this? It would be really great to be able to turn on the PS3 via TV...

BTW 42LD520.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #104 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell6306 View Post

I think the 1:1 pixel mapping is the just scan option under aspect ratio. I have an ATI card in my computer and the fonts look fuzzy if the overscan option isn't set to 0% in the CCC. It's kind of buried so you have to look in Desktops and Displays- right click on the display at the bottom and choose Configure- then Scaling Options. The slider should be set on 0% for full 1080P display. You may have to drag the slider to the left and back to 0 again to get it to set right. There is a bug in the 10.8 drivers that resets it to overscan after every restart so I had to go back to 10.7.

THANK YOU - this made it perfect. I was actually picking 16:9 then adjusting the scan on the CCC. Didn't think to do the opposite - looks GREAT now

I will say this set (as I imagine most LCD's with this level of features) is a bit touchy to set up initially for HTPC use, but once you get it together it's fantastic. I have 2 hotkeys set up now, one for conventional 1080P 60hz, and one that sets the desktop refresh rate to 24hz for quality bluray rips, etc that make use of this. Looks amazing now
post #105 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 04:31 PM

oh wow i changed the refresh rate from 60hz to 24hz and then opened an mkv and it didnt seem to stutter anymore!! will test other files later. please let it work

but at 24hz the desktop, browser, mouse movement is extremely laggy lol

if this is the problem then the TV has a problem displaying 60hz :? seeing as Rock band 2 on the 360 stuttered at times too and xbox is always 60hz.
post #106 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Does anyone know if the LD650 uses an IPS panel? I heard those are good for gaming.
post #107 of 5077 Old 09-05-2010, 05:07 PM

yeah i think all LG tvs do. but you may also get a AUO panel which arent great for motion handling
post #108 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Liked: 17
I would love som pictures of LD650

How are black levels?
Shawdow details?
Any Black Crush?
post #109 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post

yeah i think all LG tvs do. but you may also get a AUO panel which arent great for motion handling

Thanks. Hopefully, I'll get the IPS panel. Do IPS panels usually have less than 30 ms of lag?
post #110 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by moro310 View Post

THANK YOU - this made it perfect. I was actually picking 16:9 then adjusting the scan on the CCC. Didn't think to do the opposite - looks GREAT now

I will say this set (as I imagine most LCD's with this level of features) is a bit touchy to set up initially for HTPC use, but once you get it together it's fantastic. I have 2 hotkeys set up now, one for conventional 1080P 60hz, and one that sets the desktop refresh rate to 24hz for quality bluray rips, etc that make use of this. Looks amazing now

I set my screen mode to "Just Scan" also with my HP HTPC. I'm curious now about setting my graphics card up for 24fps. So far the 42LD550 works really well with the few online video sources I've tried, such as HuLu and VuDu.
Lot's of options with this TV.
post #111 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

So outside the Automatic setting (which seems to be too adjust the picture way to dark in any dimly lit environment) what does this do? It seems that when on min/med/max it's essentially just a hot key to turning down the backlight. Is it somehow more than that?

I was hoping it would be something similar to Vizio's dynamic backlight that switches the backlight power depending on scene like a full panel dimming feature but it seems like that's not what it does..

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #112 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 PM

May the owner of LD650 provide any information about the input lag of this TV ?

I have done an extensive research on searching a gaming TV. Samsung and Sony do not provide good input lag (avg: 40 to 60 ms) in general.

Current LED TV has too many unsolved problem including clouding and flashlighting.

I am hoping that this LG LD650 (my local retailers do not carry LD550) provide good input lag performance simliar to Sharp LCD TV.

Thank you
post #113 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

So outside the Automatic setting (which seems to be too adjust the picture way to dark in any dimly lit environment) what does this do? It seems that when on min/med/max it's essentially just a hot key to turning down the backlight. Is it somehow more than that?

I played with min setting - it worked almost okay in well-lit room, but dimmed the backlight too much in dark room.

Automatic setting will also increase the backlight level (above the settings in TV) in well-lit rooms.... and will completely dim the picture in dark rooms - unacceptable!

I found all the above features completely useless and really badly executed...

Boky
post #114 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I set my screen mode to "Just Scan" also with my HP HTPC. I'm curious now about setting my graphics card up for 24fps. So far the 42LD550 works really well with the few online video sources I've tried, such as HuLu and VuDu.
Lot's of options with this TV.

I think you'll need to feed the video signal thru HDMI port to allow the TV to properly recognize 24 frames signals.... otherwise the signal (if fed thru anything else) will be upsampled to 60 frames/sec and displayed at 120 frames per second.

Boky
post #115 of 5077 Old 09-06-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

I played with min setting - it worked almost okay in well-lit room, but dimmed the backlight too much in dark room.

Automatic setting will also increase the backlight level (above the settings in TV) in well-lit rooms.... and will completely dim the picture in dark rooms - unacceptable!

I found all the above features completely useless and really badly executed...

Boky

That's the conclusion I am coming to and it's pretty unfortunate... Iit seems it wouldn't have been too hard to impliment a low end cutoff setting so you could tell it "never dim below x% backlight and resolve the whole issue.

When vizio can come out with TVs for a much lower price point that have good PQ features that work, makes me second guess the big brand names with stuff like this

post #116 of 5077 Old 09-07-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

That's the conclusion I am coming to and it's pretty unfortunate... Iit seems it wouldn't have been too hard to impliment a low end cutoff setting so you could tell it "never dim below x% backlight and resolve the whole issue.

When vizio can come out with TVs for a much lower price point that have good PQ features that work, makes me second guess the big brand names with stuff like this

Honestly if you want to quickly dim the picture to the current light level in the room, just tap and play around with the energy saving button on the top left of the remote. It's right underneath the power button. I've found myself using that to go from Daytime viewing, to mid-day to nighttime.
post #117 of 5077 Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I have seen some cal charts for color in the thread but has anyone taken any black level measurements, and if so what size was it?
post #118 of 5077 Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM

I purchased a 46 LD550 two nights ago and I am thinking about taking it back to get a Samsung 46. However, I have not given up on this tv yet, so maybe you can help.

I am coming off a 32" 720p 60 Hz Samsung and I don't think that the LG 46" 1080p 120Hz looks as good. The Samsung seems to "pop" while the LG seems to be a bit "washed out" Is this normal for a tv that is bigger?

I am going to calibrate it by using some settings on this forum, but I just don't know if that will work. I play PS3 and Madden 11 (game sucks, don't buy it, I am currently selling it on ebay) doesn't look near as good.

I have Dish Network, so an HD signal is not the issue. Also, I have the Dish Network set up for 720p and have switched it back and forth between that and 1080i. What is suppose to be better? I always thought that 720p was better then 1080i. Is that right?
Anyway, going to give some of these settings a try.
post #119 of 5077 Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itcomic View Post

May the owner of LD650 provide any information about the input lag of this TV ?

I have done an extensive research on searching a gaming TV. Samsung and Sony do not provide good input lag (avg: 40 to 60 ms) in general.

Current LED TV has too many unsolved problem including clouding and flashlighting.

I am hoping that this LG LD650 (my local retailers do not carry LD550) provide good input lag performance simliar to Sharp LCD TV.

Thank you

I second this. I would really appreciate it if someone did a test to see the input lag
post #120 of 5077 Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbalmer View Post

I purchased a 46 LD550 two nights ago and I am thinking about taking it back to get a Samsung 46. However, I have not given up on this tv yet, so maybe you can help.

I am coming off a 32" 720p 60 Hz Samsung and I don't think that the LG 46" 1080p 120Hz looks as good. The Samsung seems to "pop" while the LG seems to be a bit "washed out" Is this normal for a tv that is bigger?

I am going to calibrate it by using some settings on this forum, but I just don't know if that will work. I play PS3 and Madden 11 (game sucks, don't buy it, I am currently selling it on ebay) doesn't look near as good.

I have Dish Network, so an HD signal is not the issue. Also, I have the Dish Network set up for 720p and have switched it back and forth between that and 1080i. What is suppose to be better? I always thought that 720p was better then 1080i. Is that right?
Anyway, going to give some of these settings a try.

turn the colour up to 80-100 range? (for games)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page