Official LG xxLD550 xxLD520 xxLD650 Owners Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2791 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by follicle View Post

I do this with every new electronic device I get (you should hear my iPhone story). I should probably just be happy with the fact that despite this little road bump, I did get an excellent television. I love everything about it except for this little flaw.

I'll give it a few days and see how it pans out.

From your picture , it really doesn't look like a typical banding issue. Banding is usually much more pronounced. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a Toshiba 47" LCD four years ago when Samsung, Sony, and other brands had major issues like this. The best thing to do while you still have time, is insist on a new TV from LG while 2010 stock is still available. If after one repair action the problem is no better, they will more than likely make an exchange with no debate.

If you are that discerning as an owner, it's better to do something now than wait till you have no options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

52ld550

Model Name: 52LD550-UB (Liquid Crystal Display)

Firmware Version (MP): 8.02.16.0 (51882G)
Micom Version: v3.05.8

thank you. I see you are one of. . .them!
post #2793 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
@CrossFit1 - I'm in a northern 'burb of Dallas, bought my set in December at BB. It was manufactured in November, 2010.

It was funny, I had copied your info to paste/edit into my response. And, as you noted, didn't have to change anything. So, thanks for letting me copy your homework!
post #2794 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelkes9 View Post

The same LG rep said that the way the TV processes the Netflix 2.0 PCM audio signal, the TV itself does not support even a simulated Dolby surround directly from the optical audio output to my Harman Kardon receiver, or any other receiver. I could do simulated Dolby Digital surround with the defective Toshiba 40UL605U I returned, which also had only an optical audio output.

I feel that the LG rep misled you a bit by saying that the TV "does not support" Dolby Digital over optical out in this case. This is an HDCP issue, and the handling of PCM streams is addressed specifically in the HDCP license agreement. "Can't support" is a better statement of the situation.

This problem is not specific to LG sets. If you search the "LCD Display" forum (titles only) for "dolby", "DTS", "pass" or "audio" you will find thread titles indicating that the situation is the same with other major manufacturers. More details about this in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19813320

Fact is, Toshiba is violating the terms of their HDCP license agreement by passing the simulated Dolby over the optical out. (like we care, we just want to watch TV, right?)

Quote:

If I connected a Blu-ray player to the LG I could get not only the Dolby Digital but also the full spectrum of video settings (because the TV would consider it an "input" through HDMI;

Actually, if you do this you will find that you do not get DD over the optical output. For the same reason as above (HDCP restrictions).

It's ridiculous...
post #2795 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
And yet, the PS3 does Netflix with 5.1 DD without any issues. Sad...

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #2796 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

@VBB - in the case of the PS3, what are the audio connections that get DD from the PS3 to the avr?
post #2797 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

I feel that the LG rep misled you a bit by saying that the TV "does not support" Dolby Digital over optical out in this case. This is an HDCP issue, and the handling of PCM streams is addressed specifically in the HDCP license agreement. "Can't support" is a better statement of the situation.

Actually, if you do this you will find that you do not get DD over the optical output. For the same reason as above (HDCP restrictions).

It's ridiculous...

You should reference your excellent initial post some time ago about this whole issue. I tried to find it, when I gave my answer to this techno-political issue.

I recently went into the EZ-Adjust and enabled all my inputs for AC3 but haven't had time to try all input sources to see if DD 5.1 audio is passed through.
post #2798 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks for your response. I have no inputs to the TV; OTA digital antenna for local broadcasts, and USB Wireless for Netflix/Netcast. I get the "jerk/stutter" with both OTA and Netflix. It's only occasional but I've tried various Tru-Motion settings, and none so far have stopped it.

I'm also OTA and I get the stutter quite often. The amount is not consistant from station to station but it's there. ABC primetime programs other than news are terrible to the point of almost to annoying to watch and sub channels with film based content are just as bad. I'm going to take a set of rabbit ears next door and do some comparisons with my neighbors Vizio...more to come.

42LD550-UB
firmware: 8.02.16.01
Micom version: V3.05.08
Compile date & time: 20101222 & 09:12:19
post #2799 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

@VBB - in the case of the PS3, what are the audio connections that get DD from the PS3 to the avr?

I would think HDMI, but I see what you're saying now. Optical doesn't have the HDCP handshake required by the contract. Still doesn't explain why the PS3 is the only device out there right now that actually does Netflix in 5.1 DD.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #2800 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

@Phase - 'techno-political' - that's perfect!

I did provide a link to my original post in the response above. (at least I thought I did)

If you've figured out a way around this, you'll REALLY be my hero! Keep us posted.
post #2801 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

I would think HDMI, but I see what you're saying now. Optical doesn't have the HDCP handshake required by the contract. Still doesn't explain why the PS3 is the only device out there right now that actually does Netflix in 5.1 DD.

IF the audio connection is direct from the ps3 to the avr, that would explain it. The whole problem arises from the TV acting as a HDCP repeater.
post #2802 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

@Phase - 'techno-political' - that's perfect!

I did provide a link to my original post in the response above. (at least I thought I did)

If you've figured out a way around this, you'll REALLY be my hero! Keep us posted.

Duh . . you're right your link is there. Sorry, sinuses and civil unrest here in Wisconsin are impairing my abilities.
post #2803 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossFit1 View Post

Identical to mine, down to the day and time. Makes sense though, they come down an assembly line and the compile date and time is when the software was written, not necessarily when it was copied to the circuit board. Out of curiosity, I'm in NorCal, bought this set at BB and it has a November 2010 manufacture date. Mind if I ask where you got yours and the manufacture date? And have you checked the website for firmware updates?

Mine was also manufactured in Nov 2010 and purchased at BB over the hill from you. But my firmware version is 3.05.04.01 (30060), Micom Version V3.03.6 and was compiled 11-8-2010.
post #2804 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Mine was also manufactured in Nov 2010 and purchased at BB over the hill from you. But my firmware version is 3.05.04.01 (30060), Micom Version V3.03.6 and was compiled 11-8-2010.

hmmmm, or is 20100811 (as it is listed under Compile Date & Time) 8-11-2010? The more I think about it, that's probably the case. The board is burned, qc'd, and then put on the shelf for installation at a later date.
post #2805 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Now for something completely off topic.....

I know most of you, like myself, spent a sleepless night in anticipation waiting for morning to see the Bay Area covered in snow. Alas, it was not to be. The Weathermen (scientists, not radicals) again proved their accuracy in predicting.

However, it is so cold outside that I actually look good in a sweater (wink to CrossFit1). 56F outside with thick, dark clouds overhead (probably t-shirt weather to Nick) and pressure is dropping so maybe my wintertime fantasy is only delayed. At least I have our vixen of the thread to think about (nudge nudge wink wink) to get me thru the no-snow depression.

On a lighter note, I've taken Phases excellent calibration settings and reformatted them a bit into an Excel spreadsheet (or Word if you prefer) suitable for printing out or using as a template for tweaking. I'm almost done with what I have so if anyone would like them, let me know and I'll post them in Word (.doc). I can't post the Excel or pm them so if you want that format, I'll have to email them to you. This keeps me off the streets and gives me something to do :-)
post #2806 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

If it is on OTA, more than likely it is the local station having processing issues. Sometimes on an SD sub channel I will see what you describe. I suspect it may have to do with the signal source the TV station is getting.

Hi thanks for this. I get the stutter with Netflix too, both in 480 and 720streaming. Is it something I should just get used to? It's occasional but consistent. Thanks again.
post #2807 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

This problem is not specific to LG sets. If you search the "LCD Display" forum (titles only) for "dolby", "DTS", "pass" or "audio" you will find thread titles indicating that the situation is the same with other major manufacturers. More details about this in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19813320

Fact is, Toshiba is violating the terms of their HDCP license agreement by passing the simulated Dolby over the optical out. (like we care, we just want to watch TV, right?)

It's ridiculous...

Hi thanks very much for your response. Netflix says it is working on streaming DD audio but won't give a timeframe. Of course that will take up more bandwidth. The Toshiba was defective in so many ways; I'm glad to know it shouldn't have been doing simulated DD too.
post #2808 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM

And forgot to thank you for the info on the Blu-ray player. Since my Harman Kardon AVR 145 doesn't have any HDMI, I would connect the player to the LG through HDMI for video, and to the HK for optical audio. From what you are saying, that still wouldn't allow for DD. And since it's also a wireless Netflix device, I'd probably still get the picture stutter that I am getting through the LG wireless USB dongle. Thanks.
post #2809 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

On a lighter note, I've taken Phases excellent calibration settings and reformatted them a bit into an Excel spreadsheet (or Word if you prefer) suitable for printing out or using as a template for tweaking. I'm almost done with what I have so if anyone would like them, let me know and I'll post them in Word (.doc). I can't post the Excel or pm them so if you want that format, I'll have to email them to you. This keeps me off the streets and gives me something to do :-)

Otto, you're the bees knees. Please do post them. Thank you.

post #2810 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi thanks for this. I get the stutter with Netflix too, both in 480 and 720streaming. Is it something I should just get used to? It's occasional but consistent. Thanks again.

I too see occasional stuttering via OTA but it's not consistent enough to really cause a problem for me. I just attributed it to source broadcasting and the gremlins that come with OTA. However, I've never seen it on Netflix whether it was thru the Wii (480i) or the ATV2 (720p).
post #2811 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Otto, you're the bees knees. Please do post them. Thank you.

Bees knees? You funny girl I'll get up what I have so far later on today.
post #2812 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And forgot to thank you for the info on the Blu-ray player. Since my Harman Kardon AVR 145 doesn't have any HDMI, I would connect the player to the LG through HDMI for video, and to the HK for optical audio. From what you are saying, that still wouldn't allow for DD. And since it's also a wireless Netflix device, I'd probably still get the picture stutter that I am getting through the LG wireless USB dongle. Thanks.

You're welcome. If you run the optical cable directly from the bluray player to the receiver, everything is OK. This is what I currently do.

On the stuttering topic, my opinion is that you should not look at this as something to get used to. It would drive me batty, personally. See what topr comes up with at his neighbor's house. He's been real level-headed about evaluating his stuttering problem. If he reports back that he sees no problems on neighbors vizio, then I'd say you'd have a decision to make.
post #2813 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:

hmmmm, or is 20100811 (as it is listed under Compile Date & Time) 8-11-2010? The more I think about it, that's probably the case. The board is burned, qc'd, and then put on the shelf for installation at a later date.

Exactly right on both. International standard for dating is written year, month, day in a solid string (I've had opportunity to spend months at a time in both the Southern Hemisphere and Southeast Asia). We, xenophobes that we are, create all our own standards so we write ours month, day, year. Your main board was manufactured and compiled in August of 2010, probably in Korea, then shipped to an assembly plant, probably in Mexico (likely because of the mercury used in the tubes, our southern neighbors have very low employee safety standards, one reason for their very low labor costs) and once completed shipped in large batches for wholesale fulfillment.

Quote:

@CrossFit1 - I'm in a northern 'burb of Dallas, bought my set in December at BB. It was manufactured in November, 2010.

It was funny, I had copied your info to paste/edit into my response. And, as you noted, didn't have to change anything. So, thanks for letting me copy your homework!

Ken, my best buddy and gymnastics teammate, sitting across the isle next to me reaches over, taps me on the shoulder lightly, and whispers...."number 7?"

I scribbled furiously, trying hard to look nonchalant;

"Redwood, Redwood, REDWOOD! And He's watching!"

A note written on the margin of an answer sheet and held up, twisted around casually as if looking for a lost pencil underneath for Ken, during a big final test in forestry class. Go ahead and copy, I'm used to it. But in that case Ken laughed so hard at seeing what I'd written that the instructor came over, snatched the answer sheet off my desk, took a look, shook his head slowly and wrote in red pencil; -10, handing the answer sheet back to me. Then he turned and wrote; -15 on Ken's. I have no idea why we didn't both fail that class, maybe because we were the top two students in attendance and test scores, and never showed up stoned. And it was a very new class format, he couldn't handle a cheating scandal.

Standing around a fire circle at the class end party a week later, our final class grades having been recorded and secure, Ken asked the instructor why he'd lost 15 points when I only lost 10?

The instructor points at me, smirks, and says; "Well sir, HE obviously studied! And displayed a much higher level of operational awareness under stress."

Ken and I both got A's in the class. But you've been warned!
post #2814 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

However, it is so cold outside that I actually look good in a sweater (wink to CrossFit1). 56F outside with thick, dark clouds overhead (probably t-shirt weather to Nick) and pressure is dropping so maybe my wintertime fantasy is only delayed. At least I have our vixen of the thread to think about (nudge nudge wink wink) to get me thru the no-snow depression.

Lunch will be outdoors, in a VERY public place! Here's where you beat me though, I copied and pasted Phase's calibration settings into a .doc to have on hand for easy reference. I never thought to offer it for public consumption. Add 'gracious' to your resume, right below 'sexy' and 'humble.'
post #2815 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 04:15 PM

LG 47LD520 #2 is up and running, on it's second day now and looking good. I've gone through and tweaked the settings. The picture is really good, SD which is unfortunately much of what I watch currently, sucks. But it only sucks because I know what HD looks like and have a basis of comparison. Shows produced currently and viewed over digital cable look pretty decent.

I think this set has slightly more back light leakage than LG #1 but it seems to be getting slightly better (lessening) with usage. And I do have the back light setting down in the low 40's in all categories except for "sport" (48) which I rarely use but like for the occasional 'big game.' In any case it is only visible when there is no signal, when there is something being displayed I do not notice anything. It certainly isn't a severe enough issue to consider a return or exchange.

I rarely sit down and concentrate on the TV, I am usually busy working or playing on the PC, reading or scribbling notes and flow charts, with the TV on keeping me company. When something catches my ear, I look over and watch. When I do put on a DVD it also looks great. I haven't started dabbling in Blu-Rays yet. I also have a long HDMI cable and feed from my video card out to HDMI 1, and that looks anywhere from a blurry mess to awesome depending on the source and ISP bandwidth constraints. Most of my dedicated TV watching is late, late in the evening; Archie Bunker style.

By the way, when I can swing it (hopefully soon) currently for about the same as the TV cost before any 'deals,' I think this will be my HTIB purchase;
http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/...1BA_Lit602.pdf

(Sorry for the plug Nick, I post because it's a great set up for the price and I'm sure I'll have questions)

Questions, the 520 has only audio and video inputs except for a RS-232c port, and a lone USB port on the side panel. 1) Should I anticipate things like firmware updates that require action on my part? 2) If so, should I find and download onto a thumb drive, then upload into the TV? (I'm wondering if there is controlling software built into the TV, if consumer uses a thumb drive will the TV remote control handle the programming?) or 3) Would it be better (possible?) to hard line a USB connection from PC to TV to control from PC?

I reckon at some point spinning the LG product manual disc would be a good idea. In the meantime, thank you all for enabling my laziness.
post #2816 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Modified Calibration Settings

These are not updated settings, just what I use based on Phase's calibrations in a Word format (.doc). I've put these in a table so you can just tab over and change/modify as you want. I've printed these out and they are suitable for framing should you choose to do so These are the OTA/Cable settings only. I will work on the HDMI settings tomorrow once the appreciation checks start rolling in

Cinema (User) Audio.doc 39k . file

OTA-Cable Cinema (User) Warm.doc 59.5k . file

OTA-Cable Game (User) Warm.doc 60k . file

OTA-Cable ISF Expert 1 Warm.doc 74k . file

OTA-Cable Sport (User) Warm.doc 60k . file
post #2817 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Modified Calibration Settings, Part 2

AVS only allows you to post 5 items at a time so here's the rest of what I have.

OTA-Cable Standard (User) Warm.doc 60.5k . file

OTA-Cable Vivid (User) Warm.doc 60k . file
post #2818 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

These are not updated settings, just what I use based on Phase's calibrations in a Word format (.doc). I've put these in a table so you can just tab over and change/modify as you want. I've printed these out and they are suitable for framing should you choose to do so These are the OTA/Cable settings only. I will work on the HDMI settings tomorrow once the appreciation checks start rolling in

The funny thing is. I originally generated all the setting files ins Excel and it was no trouble to convert to .doc . But AVS only will accept certain files types. I first downloaded then as .doc and almost the first person that tried to download, didn't have Word on on his computer. So I then copied to Notepad so that anyone could view and copy that file type since Notepad is a basic accessory item.

But thanks , now we have "Ottoiszed" setting files!
post #2819 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Very nice work sir, thank you!
post #2820 of 5084 Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

The funny thing is. I originally generated all the setting files ins Excel and it was no trouble to convert to .doc . But AVS only will accept certain files types. I first downloaded then as .doc and almost the first person that tried to download, didn't have Word on on his computer. So I then copied to Notepad so that anyone could view and copy that file type since Notepad is a basic accessory item.

But thanks , now we have "Ottoiszed" setting files!

As we discussed, this is not to take anything at all away from your hard work and dedication to this board. In my mind, you need a break so this is the least I can do for your contributions. If someone can't dl these files, then I will convert to .txt and let them deal with the formatting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page