Official Sony XBR LX900 Owners' Thread (60LX900, 52LX900, 46LX900, 40LX900) - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 515 Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is what I thought, but unfortunately I either have to remove a peice of equipment or add a switcher.

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 515 Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM

hi
i just got my XBR lx900 last week. i wanted to know if anyone else has the problem with the quality of youtube on the tv. i mean for a given video there are different qualities in youtube, 360p, 480p, 720p and for some 1080p. but my tv always goes for low quality ones not 1080p. is there any setting that i have to fix? i thought it might be because of wireless connection but i checked with wired network connection. still the same.

please let me know if this is different on your TVs or if i should fix anything first.

best regards
post #393 of 515 Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallboy View Post

hi
i just got my XBR lx900 last week. i wanted to know if anyone else has the problem with the quality of youtube on the tv. i mean for a given video there are different qualities in youtube, 360p, 480p, 720p and for some 1080p. but my tv always goes for low quality ones not 1080p. is there any setting that i have to fix? i thought it might be because of wireless connection but i checked with wired network connection. still the same.

please let me know if this is different on your TVs or if i should fix anything first.

best regards

I'll check when I get home. Have you tried YouTube thru your TiVo or BluRay (assuming you have these)?
post #394 of 515 Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM

I have had the LX900 60" since november when I got it for 3750 canadian $.
The picture quality is supreme, I have tested out all the other top of the line tv's and can say 100% that the lx900 is by far superior.
The blacks are very deep (mine are at least) and i dont get where they get the bluish or greenish tint. The 3d has much less ghosting than any other 3d tv, but the glasses are a bit bulky and my girlfriend finds them unconfortable. The widgets are a bit slow for my liking but i dont even use them so no biggy, I have my Mac connected when i want to watch any youtube or torrented movies. The sound quality is pretty good, but i have surround sound since I have a spacious living room. The glare isnt a problem since I close the curtains in the rare event that I watch TV during the day, and the crispness of the images is outstanding. video games especially are amazing, with perfect motion, and amazing colours. I have noticed that the remote isnt very responsive when you first turn it on but after a few minutes the problem disappears. The only problem is that the HD tv plans from rogers are very pricy and im still on analog and not digital so i dont get to enjoy HD channels, but I have a laptop connected instead. The smudges are hard to clean, especially since mine is wall mounted, and it is hard to connect anything to the back (such as xbox and ps3) since it is in an inconvenient position.
Overall I'd give this TV a 95 due to the little problems, but nothin that hinders the amazing viewing experience
post #395 of 515 Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
As a current owner of a 60LX900, I was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the LX900 with the new HX929? (other than the HX929 specs already listed on multiple sites)

Likewise has anyone seen any recent ( May 2011) comments on the HX929 from any of the TV guru guys like Chad Billheimer (Cleveland Plasma) or David Katzmaier ( cnet)?

LB
post #396 of 515 Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone recommend the best wireless settings to use with the XBR52LX900? Netflix and Amazon VOD keeps pausing and sometimes I just lose internet connection all together. I've tried several things on my router including going from DD-WRT to Tomato. I have the Asus RT-N16. It's not too far away from my router. All my other devices get excellent signal from the same spot (PS3, HTPC, Xbox 360, Wii, Blu-ray). None of my devices drop signal. Any Sony service mode that can let me adjust the wireless settings on this tv? Thanks in advance.
post #397 of 515 Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM

I don't know, I ALWAYS choose wired wired over wireless. Why don't you just run a wire?
post #398 of 515 Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It would look too messy and I'm not good at tearing my house apart to run wires in between walls/attic. Thanks though.
post #399 of 515 Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Pidge:

I understand your frustration with wireless. I always recommend "wired" connection when streaming video since you want maximum bandwidth to achieve the best video signal to include HD. However, many are not able to run a cable easily . So here's a few tips that worked for me:

1. Make sure your router has the latest firmware: you can check this and update your ASUS router

2. Update your XBR52LX900 firmware as well ( You may need to position your TV near a cable connection to download the update--I believe the latest firmware version is 4.099) Previous updates included enhancements for streaming. ( this alone may solve your problem)

As listed on Sony's eSupport page" Please follow the steps below to check your television's software version to determine if it needs this software update: On the TV remote control, press the "HOME" button to open the TV Home Menu. On the remote control, use the arrows Arrows to select the Settings icon Settings. Use the arrows to highlight the Product Support icon Product Support Icon, and then press the EXECUTE Button EXECUTE Button on the remote control. Use the arrows to highlight the Contact Sony icon Contact Sony Icon, and then press the EXECUTE Button EXECUTE Button on the remote control. The software version number will be displayed at the bottom of the Contact Sony screen. If your software version is PKG4.099AAD or higher, your TV does not need this update. "

There is another solution that you may consider as well. Run the internet over your electric wiring/outlet via a device called "NETGEAR XAVB5001 Powerline AV 500 AdapterKit." This is a great device that is really easy to set up. This particular unit runs about $130 on amazon but there are other cheaper devices too.

Hope this helps!

LB
post #400 of 515 Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 PM

Regarding wireless issues: it is certainly there and its all tied to this otherwise very nice tv. I've had 52" since March and happy with pretty much everything except wireless. Widgets can be faster, remote can be more responsive but those to me are pretty minor. I was looking for great PQ and didn't care about 3d, so snagged the 52" for under $1500 USD from one local retailer who was clearing them out.

About wireless: I also have the Asus RT-N16 running latest Tomato USB. Wi-fi works great, super reliable with all my laptops and desktops never drops connection. I have all devices on static IP addresses and configured the TV for static as well. It would connect fine and would show almost all the bars for reception but you can't watch a movie, from Crackle for example, without wireless completely losing internet connection at least once during the whole movie. My MacbookPro has no problems connecting from the same spot as the TV. I detect about 15 Wifi APs in the apartment so I thought it may be just the crowded 2.4Ghz band. The LX900 manual recommends a 5Ghz AP to use with TV and I wanted to get one anyway so I bought a Cisco E2000 router with selectable 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands.
I loaded the Cisco with Tomato as well and configured it as a 5 Ghz access point with the Asus as the router/gateway. The TV now connected on 5Ghz band to Cisco. That did improve things somewhat and the drops now aren't as frequent as were on 2.4Ghz (although I get worse reception/bars on 5Ghz) but its still too often. I can usually watch a movie on Crackle without losing internet but if it still drops out often enough. Laptops never have issues with both of these routers and get super stable reception, so 99.9% its not the routers.
Another trick that seems to work is if wifi loses connectivity from TV, go to network setting, turn wifi from ON to OFF, wait a few seconds and toggle it back to ON. Then check the connection in the network settings, that will normally re-establish wifi connection. This further proves its the TV problem.
This is a convoluted way of working around it and is not acceptable for such a high-performance TV.

I am sure that running an ethernet cable would solve everything but why advertise or have the wireless feature in the TV ? I'd rather not have it at all if its going to be working half-way or have it there but it should be fully functional.
Running cables thru apartment walls isnt' something I want to do so my next idea is to place the Cisco in the entertainment cabinet under the TV and run a CAT6 to TV's network port, then configure the 2 routers to be on same SSID (bridge mode?) and have the TV communicate thru wired port before Cisco transmits it to the Asus router. I am guessing this should solve the problem just as well as hardwiring everything.
If someone already tried this then let me know if this works well.
Besides wifi, TV pic quality is nice. I would definitely be even more upset about wifi if I paid anything near the msrp for it.
post #401 of 515 Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radviewer View Post

Regarding wireless issues: it is certainly there and its all tied to this otherwise very nice tv. I've had 52" since March and happy with pretty much everything except wireless. Widgets can be faster, remote can be more responsive but those to me are pretty minor. I was looking for great PQ and didn't care about 3d, so snagged the 52" for under $1500 USD from one local retailer who was clearing them out.

About wireless: I also have the Asus RT-N16 running latest Tomato USB. Wi-fi works great, super reliable with all my laptops and desktops never drops connection. I have all devices on static IP addresses and configured the TV for static as well. It would connect fine and would show almost all the bars for reception but you can't watch a movie, from Crackle for example, without wireless completely losing internet connection at least once during the whole movie. My MacbookPro has no problems connecting from the same spot as the TV. I detect about 15 Wifi APs in the apartment so I thought it may be just the crowded 2.4Ghz band. The LX900 manual recommends a 5Ghz AP to use with TV and I wanted to get one anyway so I bought a Cisco E2000 router with selectable 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands.
I loaded the Cisco with Tomato as well and configured it as a 5 Ghz access point with the Asus as the router/gateway. The TV now connected on 5Ghz band to Cisco. That did improve things somewhat and the drops now aren't as frequent as were on 2.4Ghz (although I get worse reception/bars on 5Ghz) but its still too often. I can usually watch a movie on Crackle without losing internet but if it still drops out often enough. Laptops never have issues with both of these routers and get super stable reception, so 99.9% its not the routers.
Another trick that seems to work is if wifi loses connectivity from TV, go to network setting, turn wifi from ON to OFF, wait a few seconds and toggle it back to ON. Then check the connection in the network settings, that will normally re-establish wifi connection. This further proves its the TV problem.
This is a convoluted way of working around it and is not acceptable for such a high-performance TV.

I am sure that running an ethernet cable would solve everything but why advertise or have the wireless feature in the TV ? I'd rather not have it at all if its going to be working half-way or have it there but it should be fully functional.
Running cables thru apartment walls isnt' something I want to do so my next idea is to place the Cisco in the entertainment cabinet under the TV and run a CAT6 to TV's network port, then configure the 2 routers to be on same SSID (bridge mode?) and have the TV communicate thru wired port before Cisco transmits it to the Asus router. I am guessing this should solve the problem just as well as hardwiring everything.
If someone already tried this then let me know if this works well.
Besides wifi, TV pic quality is nice. I would definitely be even more upset about wifi if I paid anything near the msrp for it.

Radviewer: I too own the LX900 and I am able to operate with both wired and wireless (2.5ghz and 5ghz)--without the problems you describe. These are expensive TVs so I can certainly understand your frustration. I am sure you read my recommendations posted above so I wont repeat here.

***However, If you are sure your TV has the latest firmware then you might want to try setting the DNS address on the LX900 TV wireless network setting. Set the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4

Other items to check:
Is your own network secured? ( If not, your neighbors may be using your bandwidth) Security setting on your router--Authentication Method: "WPA2-Personal" and WPA Encryption "AES" is optimal.
Is your router firmware updated to the latest firmware?
How much bandwidth did you purchase with your internet service? To stream video you need a good strong signal and plenty of bandwidth ( some recommend at least 3Mbps to 5Mbps --better 8Mbps + for HD).
Try disconnecting your other internet devices when you stream video to your TV.
Check to see if you can set video streaming as a priority on your router administration software normally called "QoS" function.
Distance from router: The 5Ghz signal has a much shorter broadcast range than 2.4GHz. So if your TV is relatively close to the router then use 5Ghz--if not stick with the 2.4ghz.

Note: I personally switched from the new Cisco 4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router to the ASUS RT-N56U Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router because I found the ASUS produced a more consistent wireless signal while streaming video in my home environment.

I hope these tips help!

LB
post #402 of 515 Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sony announced a new streaming service today (3d experience), link to press release is:

http://news.sel.sony.com:80/en/press...ase/60299.html

it seems to imply that its only available on newer (2011 model) tv sets, but hopefully they will (eventually) provide a firmware update for older sets such as the LX900 models).

Anyone have other info about this?
post #403 of 515 Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

Sony announced a new streaming service today (3d experience), link to press release is:

http://news.sel.sony.com:80/en/press...ase/60299.html

it seems to imply that its only available on newer (2011 model) tv sets, but hopefully they will (eventually) provide a firmware update for older sets such as the LX900 models).

Anyone have other info about this?

I saw this announcement yesterday ( July 13, 2011) and checked for the update. I did an internet content refresh on my LX900 but didn't see the new 3D experience icon. I did the same on my new Sony BDP-S780 bluray player and yes, the new 3D icon appeared under the video menu with "coming soon" noted...so not yet functional.

I purchased the Sony BDP-S780 for this reason--so I would have access to all the new stuff Sony is introducing in 2011 without having to buy a new Bravia--particularly since I spent a small fortune on the 60LX900 last year. So far, I have been really happy with the S-780 ( even though I bought the S-570 when I purchased the LX900 last year).

I highly recommend the BDP-S780 Bluray player to current LX900 users so you too can get access to all the new stuff Sony is rolling out for 2011. ( The VUDU service with true 1080P and DD + 5.1 PQ on this player is phenomenal--much better than all the other streaming services)

If you spend some time searching on the internet you can find some pretty good below-retail prices on the BDP-S780.

LB
post #404 of 515 Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Liked: 12
Just wanted to give an update on my settings I have tried many settings and this is what I have come to prefer. I do alot of daytime and nighttime viewing and find these settings work all the time. I also get the deepest blacks with these settings.

Scene-general
Picture mode-standard
Backlight-8
Picture-95
Brightness-46
Color-52
Hue-0
Color temp-warm 2
Sharpness-11
Noise reduction-off
Mpeg-off
Motionflow-smooth
Cinemotion-auto 2
Black corrector- low
Advanced contrast enhancer-low
Gamma-+2
Auto light limiter-off
Clear white- off
Live color-off

Power saving- low
Presence- off
Light sensor- off

I would give these a try if you own this TV and see what you think.
post #405 of 515 Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrono View Post

Just wanted to give an update on my settings I have tried many settings and this is what I have come to prefer. I do alot of daytime and nighttime viewing and find these settings work all the time. I also get the deepest blacks with these settings.

Scene-general
Picture mode-standard
Backlight-8
Picture-95
Brightness-46
Color-52
Hue-0
Color temp-warm 2
Sharpness-11
Noise reduction-off
Mpeg-off
Motionflow-smooth
Cinemotion-auto 2
Black corrector- low
Advanced contrast enhancer-low
Gamma-+2
Auto light limiter-off
Clear white- off
Live color-off

Power saving- low
Presence- off
Light sensor- off

I would give these a try if you own this TV and see what you think.

cchrono: Thanks for the calibration settings. They are close to what I have already evolved to over the last months--however, I see a few interesting tweaks I can apply based upon your recommendations. Recently I have been adjusting the Gamma 2 points + or - which seems to give me another way to control the dark/bright depending upon lighting or content. Couple of questions:

1. Do you use the same settings for viewing 3D?
2. Do you ever adjust the "advanced" settings?

LB
post #406 of 515 Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

cchrono: Thanks for the calibration settings. They are close to what I have already evolved to over the last months--however, I see a few interesting tweaks I can apply based upon your recommendations. Recently I have been adjusting the Gamma 2 points + or - which seems to give me another way to control the dark/bright depending upon lighting or content. Couple of questions:

1. Do you use the same settings for viewing 3D?
2. Do you ever adjust the "advanced" settings?

correction: I should have asked if you adjust the "white balance" in the Advanced Settings.

BTW I have been using Scene setting = General and Picture Mode to Cinema but some times the screen was a bit too dark for me. As you suggest I changed Picture Mode to Standard and that brought the "pop" back I had been missing!

LB
post #407 of 515 Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM

For 3d I use everything the same except brightness and color I have those both set at 50. For white balance I have messed around with it but never seem to be content, I don't have the proper tools for it so I've gone back to all zero's. I hope to get a colorimeter one day and get it right.
post #408 of 515 Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. Thanks again. I am enjoying my new brighter settings.

LB
post #409 of 515 Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Yep, yeah I always felt something was missing before and finally have been pretty happy.
post #410 of 515 Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post

Can anyone recommend the best wireless settings to use with the XBR52LX900? Netflix and Amazon VOD keeps pausing and sometimes I just lose internet connection all together. I've tried several things on my router including going from DD-WRT to Tomato. I have the Asus RT-N16. It's not too far away from my router. All my other devices get excellent signal from the same spot (PS3, HTPC, Xbox 360, Wii, Blu-ray). None of my devices drop signal. Any Sony service mode that can let me adjust the wireless settings on this tv? Thanks in advance.

I to have had problems keeping a wireless connection.But maybe I'll try my blu ray player to see if it does the same thing.Also,how do you know if you got the latest update for the tv?Is there a way to reboot it?Thanks.
post #411 of 515 Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post

I to have had problems keeping a wireless connection.But maybe I'll try my blu ray player to see if it does the same thing.Also,how do you know if you got the latest update for the tv?Is there a way to reboot it?Thanks.

3DinAK:
You can check the latest firmware from Sony for this TV here:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...ab=downloadTab

If you live in the Americas or Canada I think the last update was June 8, 2011 PKG4.102AAD

To check the firmware version on your TV:
Home Menu--Settings--Product Support--Contact Sony
The software version number will be displayed at the bottom of the Contact Sony screen.

To force a firmware download on the TV use the "refresh internet content" command at:
Home Menu--Settings--Network--Refresh Internet Content

LB
post #412 of 515 Old 08-20-2011, 11:27 PM

I've had my 60lx900 since January thru the replacement program and I've searched all over this forum and googled my problem and can't find anything.

No matter what setting I have on my motion flow setting at I see ghosting on quick camera movements on TV shows & movies.

It's at the point where it's getting aggravatating and I was wondering if ANYONE else has had this problem and has had to make some adjustments to settings. This happens for the most part for HD programming. We don't watch much 3D content but haven't really had a problem with the ghosting the few times we used the tv to view 3D content.

Any suggestions...I'm still under warranty plus I did purchase an extended warranty, so no worries that way....

Thanks in advance....
post #413 of 515 Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller77 View Post

I've had my 60lx900 since January thru the replacement program and I've searched all over this forum and googled my problem and can't find anything.

No matter what setting I have on my motion flow setting at I see ghosting on quick camera movements on TV shows & movies.

It's at the point where it's getting aggravatating and I was wondering if ANYONE else has had this problem and has had to make some adjustments to settings. This happens for the most part for HD programming. We don't watch much 3D content but haven't really had a problem with the ghosting the few times we used the tv to view 3D content.

Any suggestions...I'm still under warranty plus I did purchase an extended warranty, so no worries that way....

Thanks in advance....

Sounds like you might have a defective display. The only time I experience ghosting on my LX900 is in 3D mode and then I really have to look for it--as it's very infrequent and hardly noticeable. Like you I haven't heard or read where others are experiencing ghosting on this TV like you are describing.

Just a thought, are you using high-speed 1.4 HDMI cables ? If not, you might want to try 1.4 cables which you can get for $6-$12 on Amazon (The cheap ones perform just as well as the expensive ones.)

Either way its probably a good idea to schedule a service call with an authorized Sony service tech asap. If in fact your TV is defective they may have to replace the panel on the TV.

LB
post #414 of 515 Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance....

I'm not experience ghosting in 2D either. I dint watch much 3D yet. I am running 1.4 Hdmi cables, could be the solution.
post #415 of 515 Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Sounds like you might have a defective display. The only time I experience ghosting on my LX900 is in 3D mode and then I really have to look for it--as it's very infrequent and hardly noticeable. Like you I haven't heard or read where others are experiencing ghosting on this TV like you are describing.

Just a thought, are you using high-speed 1.4 HDMI cables ? If not, you might want to try 1.4 cables which you can get for $6-$12 on Amazon (The cheap ones perform just as well as the expensive ones.)

Either way its probably a good idea to schedule a service call with an authorized Sony service tech asap. If in fact your TV is defective they may have to replace the panel on the TV.

Thanks, I'll try the 1.4 hdmi cables and let you all know...hope that's the issue, if not I'll call for service. It just seems between the ghosting on quick camera movements and sometimes the very grainy scenes when it's a darker scene is getting a bit unbearable!

The movie I was watching last night "Green Zone" was driving me a bit nuts...between the blur of the quick camera movements and the grainy dark scenes....
post #416 of 515 Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna View Post

I'm not experience ghosting in 2D either. I dint watch much 3D yet. I am running 1.4 Hdmi cables, could be the solution.

thanks, I'll try the 1.4 hdmi!!
post #417 of 515 Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks, I'll try the 1.4 hdmi!!

Hello: Any luck?

LB
post #418 of 515 Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM

I simply love my set, but wanted to ask you whether you have experienced a SNAP sound 15 to 30 seconds after the set has been turned off. I am using an external sound setup, so the snap sound may not be coming from the TV's speakers. Another experience is the set powering off on its own for a second or two and then powering on again. This does not happen often and my wife thinks that I turned the set off via remote. Set is still under warranty until this November but really don't want to fix anything minor. Their are NO heat problem, since the set is on it's stand. Thanks...
post #419 of 515 Old 09-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcord51 View Post

I simply love my set, but wanted to ask you whether you have experienced a SNAP sound 15 to 30 seconds after the set has been turned off. I am using an external sound setup, so the snap sound may not be coming from the TV's speakers. Another experience is the set powering off on its own for a second or two and then powering on again. This does not happen often and my wife thinks that I turned the set off via remote. Set is still under warranty until this November but really don't want to fix anything minor. Their are NO heat problem, since the set is on it's stand. Thanks...

I haven't experienced either of those issues? Worth a service call for sure.
post #420 of 515 Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcord51 View Post

The snap or pop you're hearing is normal. It's explained in the instruction manual. I hear it as well (and at first I was concerned too).

As far as the powering off and back on, try disabling automatic updates and see if that changes anything.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page