Official Sony XBR LX900 Owners' Thread (60LX900, 52LX900, 46LX900, 40LX900) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 515 Old 12-17-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Box had a hole the exact shape as a forklift fork near the bottom of the box.
I made the guy wait while I opened it, no damage on set but it did make me wonder what kind of idiots they have moving expensive TV's around!

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 515 Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN View Post

Send back, 4 dead pixels are not acceptable.

+1

not acceptable ottb, sonylistens is very good about taking care of these kind of issues, take pictures and send it over.
post #153 of 515 Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched True Grit on Blu-ray tonight, whatever on 3D this set has great 2D!

post #154 of 515 Old 12-19-2010, 07:21 PM

After about a week and watching my eagles make an unbelievable comeback. So far I am very impressed with this tv so far. Have only watched cable tv through dcx3400 on comcast. Just got legend of the guardians 3d blu ray and will watch soon but my onkyo 606 hdmi is on its way out so I haven't felt like rewiring everything gonna be getting new receiver prob within next two weeks. The eagles game looked better then any football I have ever watched on my sxrd xbr2. My current settings that I have been pretty happy with so far are.
Backlight-3
Picture-78
Brightness-51
Color-55
Hue-0
Warm 2
Sharpness 9
Everything else set to off sometimes when watching basketball I have put motionflow on standard or clear 1 with pretty good results. I'm interested in seeing others settings as sometimes I'm amazed by the picture and other times i feel I can probably be getting more out of it.
post #155 of 515 Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 PM

How do I check my firmware on my new beautiful 60" LX900. What should it be and how do I manually update it as I can only seem to find auto update on standby. I'm not even sure how to put it in Standby. LOL.
Thanks for any help guys, I'm using Gotchas picture settings exactly and it looks damn good.
post #156 of 515 Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra248 View Post

How do I check my firmware on my new beautiful 60" LX900. What should it be and how do I manually update it as I can only seem to find auto update on standby. I'm not even sure how to put it in Standby. LOL.
Thanks for any help guys, I'm using Gotchas picture settings exactly and it looks damn good.

Check This link for instructions on firmware updates.

My Nov 2010 set had the latest firmware when it shipped.

post #157 of 515 Old 12-21-2010, 09:51 AM

Updated successfully to 4.081 Thanks guys. One more question, as I am hooking everything up to my Sony receiver that supports ARC but never plan to use TV speakers, should I just go ahead and hook to the non ARC HDMI input?

Audio Return Channel
post #158 of 515 Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 AM

This guy did his own calibration using DisplayMate Calibration and his are way different +10 Backlight for instance. I've tried both, still going with Gotchas, I didn't like the idea behind the +10 Backlight and 90 Picture. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links but here you go.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm
post #159 of 515 Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra248 View Post

This guy did his own calibration using DisplayMate Calibration and his are way different +10 Backlight for instance. I've tried both, still going with Gotchas, I didn't like the idea behind the +10 Backlight and 90 Picture. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links but here you go.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...alibration.htm

I tried his settings and was not happy with them everything looked washed out
post #160 of 515 Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

For those that are not happy with their picture I would recommend downloading the AVS HD 709 disc and spend some time learning how to calibrate your display. If you are not able to download/burn the image onto a disc, then you can purchase the Spears & Munsil calibration disc. These guys are well respected and are authors of the infamous DVD shootouts and current player BD player reviews. The instructions are easy to use and it will get you close to where you want to be.

I will point out one thing, for those that are new to calibration, you may not be use to how a properly color/gamma/gray scale corrected display looks. It does not POP with colors like it does in stores, but it is accurate and close to what film should look like. I use calibrated settings for watching films only, and for sports I turn on all the motion crap.

The best option which is an additional expense is a professional calibration, not from the big box tech, but one that is recommend from folks on this forum. I debated early on when I got into AV whether this was worth it and came to the conclusion if I spend $$$ on a display why not get it professionally calibrated so I can enjoy it for years to come knowing I am getting the absolutely best picture I can.

Professional calibration is almost an equalizer when it comes to picture quality between some of these modern displays.
post #161 of 515 Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Good info, all! I have my custom settings somewhat dialed in, but I will try a calibration disc as well, and maybe this coming spring I'll have it pro-calibrated. I'm pretty impressed with this set as it sits, though.
LL
post #162 of 515 Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Not having a real PRINTED Manual, I want to know if I can just do these 2 things...and how.

1. Turn off the darn SONY logo Light.
2. Stop the tones when you turn the set on.

TIA

P.S. I hate these iManuals!
post #163 of 515 Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Not having a real PRINTED Manual, I want to know if I can just do these 2 things...and how.

TIA

Under Home>Prefrences>Front Panel illumination

Under Home>Sound>Key Tones
post #164 of 515 Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

TIA

You know there is also a PDF version on sonys web site.
It's just the way things are going now a days, think of all the trees that will be saved when all manuals are iManuals.
I wonder how long it will be before Steve Jobs sics Apples lawyers on Sony for calling it an "iManual"?

post #165 of 515 Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM

I will be having a 60LX900 as a replacement to xbr2 in couple of weeks time as my credit card has been been charged for the amount(authorized). I went to BestBuy to check it out, to me it seemed better than my xbr2 set. But I was blown away with Samsung UN65C8000 picture quality compared to LX.

I just hope LX wasn't calibrated like Samsung might have been and both units have similar picture quality.
post #166 of 515 Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

You know there is also a PDF version on sonys web site.
It's just the way things are going now a days, think of all the trees that will be saved when all manuals are iManuals.
I wonder how long it will be before Steve Jobs sics Apples lawyers on Sony for calling it an "iManual"?

I will look again but I did not see a pdf version. I saw an iguide.

I did look again and only saw the 24 page quick setup guide. It just shows to select language and then shows how to get to Options without giving any. Anyway, I got it all done!
post #167 of 515 Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

Under Home>Prefrences>Front Panel illumination

Under Home>Sound>Key Tones

Great, I will try it!

Then I will try your other settings!
post #168 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 01:08 AM

So, when it comes to using the 3D glasses has anyone taken the time to compare the Sony TDG-BR100 versus the Xpand X103 universal glasses? I am trying to figure out what is going to be best with the TV as I would like to have 4 sets so that I can share the 3D experience with another couple.

If you have been toying around with the 3D glasses, have you taken into account this article???:
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20189737969

I am just trying to figure out what to do to optimize my 3D experience. So far, I have been absolutely stunned by the performance.
post #169 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 AM

I have a quick, maybe dumb question, after setting up my wireless connection, we tried to watch a movie trailer. Everything worked, except the audio wouldn't play back through my bose surround, I had to switch back to the tv speakers. Did I miss a setting? DVD and CD and regular TV all work with the bose surround. Thanks.
post #170 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbdude View Post
I have a quick, maybe dumb question, after setting up my wireless connection, we tried to watch a movie trailer. Everything worked, except the audio wouldn't play back through my bose surround, I had to switch back to the tv speakers. Did I miss a setting? DVD and CD and regular TV all work with the bose surround. Thanks.
Will OTA programing play over your surround?
Do you have the audio out from the TV going to the surround receiver?

post #171 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 11:49 AM

OTA programs all play through the surround, as do DVD movies. Using all the same cables I used with the XBR2, with a line from the set to the reciever, it just wouldn't play through the surround when we were checking out the wireless stuff, like netflix. I have HDMI from the cable box to the set, and red green and blue with an audio cable from the bose to the set.
post #172 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbdude View Post

OTA programs all play through the surround, as do DVD movies. Using all the same cables I used with the XBR2, with a line from the set to the reciever, it just wouldn't play through the surround when we were checking out the wireless stuff, like netflix. I have HDMI from the cable box to the set, and red green and blue with an audio cable from the bose to the set.

There is an audio setting to use external speakers only
post #173 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Did that. I think its the bose system. I can't use the LX900 remote to pick up the bose surround either, Sony doesn't even list a code at the e-support site.
post #174 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanu View Post

I will be having a 60LX900 as a replacement to xbr2 in couple of weeks time as my credit card has been been charged for the amount(authorized). I went to BestBuy to check it out, to me it seemed better than my xbr2 set. But I was blown away with Samsung UN65C8000 picture quality compared to LX.

I just hope LX wasn't calibrated like Samsung might have been and both units have similar picture quality.

how much were you having to pay upfront to upgrade to 60in LX900 if you do not mind me asking?
post #175 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried the 2D to 3D option? Just wondering if it is even worth trying...like on football.
post #176 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Finally got to set up my 60LX900. A replacement for my 60XBR1. So far very impressed with the picture. Still playing with the settings and haven't tried any 3D yet. I don't think the screen glare is any worse than the XBR1. Was wondering though what everyone is using to clean the screen with ?
post #177 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSearfoss View Post

Finally got to set up my 60LX900. A replacement for my 60XBR1. So far very impressed with the picture. Still playing with the settings and haven't tried any 3D yet. I don't think the screen glare is any worse than the XBR1. Was wondering though what everyone is using to clean the screen with ?

I use the monster screen cleaner works well for me got it years ago when I was working at circuit
post #178 of 515 Old 12-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Just watched my first 3d movie legends of the guardians. Super impressed by the 3d saw no ghosting or crosstalk. Only complaint was flashing lighting in the corners due to backlight being on full blast does anyone have any settings to combat this. Anybody think loosening the screws in the corners would help. Either way I think if the movie was 16x9 I wodnt have even noticed and the picture and 3d were beyond my expectations even my wife was impressed and it takes a lot to impress her when it comes to tvs.
post #179 of 515 Old 12-27-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrono View Post

Just watched my first 3d movie legends of the guardians. Super impressed by the 3d saw no ghosting or crosstalk. Only complaint was flashing lighting in the corners due to backlight being on full blast does anyone have any settings to combat this. Anybody think loosening the screws in the corners would help. Either way I think if the movie was 16x9 I wodnt have even noticed and the picture and 3d were beyond my expectations even my wife was impressed and it takes a lot to impress her when it comes to tvs.

In 3D mode the backlight is on full and it cannot be turned down.
post #180 of 515 Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Ok so I've now watched legend of guardians, resident evil afterlife, and despicable me all in 3d the tv handle everything better then I expected from reading reviews and the opinions of how off handles 3d I experienced crosstalk only twice once in one scene of resident evil and in the opening of despicable me when the title comes up. This tv just continues to satisfy me. Wasn't sure how it would be coming from an sxrd. I highly recommend anybody thinking about a 3d set to consider it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page