Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post
Go to the Settings menu>Sounds>Key Tone>Off
Key tone off ... check.

beoooeOOOO

(so much for that)

That's one of the first things I did - got rid of all the clicking and beeping and bonking as I navigated the menus. I've also got tv speakers "ON" (obviously) and audio out is "FIXED".

Like I say ... it ain't me ... its them. Ah well ... the crosses we bear ...

My Onkyo was a system package deal. All wood cases, front and center are double 5" +tweet, good powered sub and rearX4 are 5". Got that with the 46A10 and real happy with it. Only "upgrade" was to replace the craptastic zipcord wires with good Belden zero oxygen shielded cable. Pricy, but you wouldn't believe the difference it makes. Pretty sure I posted this pic up earlier, but what's a few more pixels. You can see the center and FR and the sub. I built the stands for the front speaks so I could stack the sub and keep both at the same height.

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
The only other thing I could suggest is resetting the Onkyo to factory standards. It's a simple procedure delineated in the owner's manual.
post #363 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The only other thing I could suggest is resetting the Onkyo to factory standards. It's a simple procedure delineated in the owner's manual.
Nah ... then I'd have to remember how I set it up years ago. Then again, about the only thing I've changed on it is the speaker distances. Mine is primitive enough it doesn't have the auto-configure button.

In case you were wondering about the Bose speaks hanging on the wall, those are the rear channels (two of em anyway) for my old skool quad. I've got another set mounted to complete the rear array midway and firing forward. Sorta like "sexaphonic" sound ...

Now THIS is my pride 'n joy.

If I ever get the feeling that I want to add a bit more OOmph to the Onkyo, I've got that cabled in to help. 600 watts per channel, baby cakes ...

* For some of the youngsters out there ... those boxes at the bottom of the cabinet are full of what we called "records". The thing on the top is called a "turntable". I forget what that great shiny thing on top of the speaker is, but it sure looks kewl ...

post #364 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

[quote=
For a smallish oval speaker firing out of a plastic cabinet, they're really not all THAT bad. .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think he EX55710 speakers are better than the on board speakers the 52XBR6 had....so until I get some speakers it isn't that bad to use the speakers on the EX. I have it mounted on the wall so it has no resistance.
post #365 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Just two years ago, my 18 yr old granddaughter wanted to know what was that thing...that's when I finally realized it was time to get rid of my old Thorens turntable.

I still got about 500-600 LPS but I can't get to part with them yet...I told my wife she can put-up with them for just a few more years. After I'm gone then she can do whatever she wants with them...
post #366 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I still got about 500-600 LPS but I can't get to part with them yet...
Send em over - I'll put them out of your misery ...

The stereo pic is actually an older version of the setup. I HAVE made some attempts to upgrade. Shoved the turntable over and added an HTPC, and am currently doing digital transfers of all my ancient treasures to the hard drive. I figure a terrabyte should be enough. I've even managed to improve some of the old tapes - those were starting to degrade, but nothing that a pass or two thru some restoration software couldn't handle.

I have real fun with my air mouse too. Make some arcane symbols in the air pointed in the general direction of the HTPC, and voila ... music! Even better, I've coded all the FIVE STAR stuff, and if I can't decide what to listen to, just set that playlist to random playback. Catch a tune I want to hear more of, , I'm there. Either that, or I'm trying to find my mouse after I bounced it off the monitor ...

post #367 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I hadn't seen a reel-to-reel in years! Original purchase? What kind?
post #368 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Teac. Bought that one brand new in Hong Kong back in '74. Still works too - I had the capstans rebuilt and the belts replaced a couple years ago. Pretty high tech for it's day - thing's got IC speed regulation and soft start solonoid controls on the transport. None of that slam BAM! thank ya maam stuff and stretched tape you had with the tiller knobs you found on the really ancient stuff. When you consider the age of some of the tapes I'm trying to preserve digitally, that's a GOOD thing.

Don't want you to think I'm all set in my ways on the audio front. I recently discovered SACDs and wOw. Add to that, a LOT of my favorite jams are being remastered and re-released in 5.1 digital. Same with DVD/Audio. Just got done listening to Red (King Crimson) and I know it's hard to believe, but there's a noticable difference between the new digital version and the original vinyl I've been grinding to dust for 30 years ... really ... it's true!

post #369 of 1259 Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Teac was a big deal in those days! I went on a short shopping spree to HK back in '68. Got a camera and a Sansui receiver. Back then, Sansui was turning the tide and making receivers a new wave in th stereo world.

Too bad SACD is a dying proposition...they could've made i big time. Too late now!
post #370 of 1259 Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Anyone found a wifi dongle outside of sony's expensive one that works with these sets?

I have the 46ex710.
post #371 of 1259 Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan View Post

Thanks! I think I'd be happy with either one, I might just get the HX701 if there's still one left, but if not grab a 710. Like your name btw, I'm just across the harbour from Sid's hometown..Thanks again for the reply!

No problem. Gongrats on your purchase! Did you make it over for the parade and get a glimpse of the Cup? That had to be the biggest "smalltown" parade ever. I was shocked at the number of people that turned out.

Still using the EX700 setting's from the Chad B calibration, the only thing I changed was to turn off Cinemotion. I've actually been using Motionflow on high for the hockey games and it looks great. I haven't had a chance to do anything with the DVE bluray, but I can't imagine I would get better results.

Just ordered the Denon 1611 AVR from Electronics Expo and Mirage Nanosat 5.1 speaker package from World Wide Stereo - got great deals on both - especially from WWS (they really hooked me up!). Ordered new "high speed" HDMI cables, speaker wires & banana plugs, and a wall mount from Monoprice.

LPs (that's Long Playing records for the kiddies out there ): after getting rid of most of my collection years ago, I've started buying them again...
post #372 of 1259 Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Hi guys, I'm looking to replace my 40v2500 with a 46". Was looking at this set and I have a little question about the sound output through the optical cable since my receiver only has 2 optical inputs for it (need 4).

If i plug my ps3/360/pc and HD tuner into this tv through hdmi and connect the tv to the receiver through the optical cable will it output 5.1/DTS? Will the sound quality suffer greatly compared to a direct connection? The salesman said it should work but well, he didn't seem like the most informed guy.

I'd rather get an HX800 but they're about 800 more right now. Anyone been following the pricedrop rate of the sony's over the past few years? Would hate to see that set drop 500 in 6 months.
post #373 of 1259 Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Nope didn't see the cup unfortunately, shoulda made the time. So you're from the HRM too? I picked up an HX701 55". It's very good so far, just trying to tweak it a bit but it's close.
post #374 of 1259 Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM

Well after two weeks with the 46ex710 I have to say I love it. My bleeding problem is no longer present in the level it was before. Tighten the screws back up some seemed to take care of the problems. So im happy and I let Sony know about my issue they told me if it pops back up again call them up they will send out a tech to fix it. So no noticeable bleed and no odd issues with it overall. Menu is kinda lagging and I wish there was a quick option to pick a scene other then through the option remote. Also wish it didnt cover half the screen when picking mode. Other then that its damn nice and those looking to purchase will enjoy it.
post #375 of 1259 Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat_fan View Post

Nope didn't see the cup unfortunately, shoulda made the time. So you're from the HRM too? I picked up an HX701 55". It's very good so far, just trying to tweak it a bit but it's close.

Nah, I was able to watch it on Fox Sports Pittsburgh
post #376 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoman View Post

I have noticed bleeding mainly at corners and washout and faint lighting along the sides. I have managed to lessen this by going along the outside edge of the tv and pressing both sides of the plastic firmly in place. I have heard creaking through out, mainly on the top two corners. This made it look better along with some massaging of screen. Oddly enough on the left side panel near top if i press screen I get a click like something is loose. Could just be a plastic connector holding the frame on. Blacks look 80% better on both sides. Still had alot of noticeable bleeding from upper left corner. I loosened screw in back on top left and saw a difference. Intrigued I just started loosen all of the back panel screws around frame. Now let me set this straight I hardly even moved them just enough to notice it turn really. This has cut down on my bleed problem considerably. Is it all gone now, no. The wash loss I was getting which was the most annoying is now unnoticeable. It had a straight cut off as well 25% of the left side of screen. I first though panel was bad. I haven't noticed anything else off but a strange lil tornado type thing very thin lasted only a few seconds. Not sure what it was. The most important thing you can do with this set is give it a week to play with it. Light bleed will calm down, even with out doing what i mentioned above just takes a couple days.

Uncanny. I have EXACTLY the same gripes with my 46" EX710 - left side 22% fade etc. I'll try the methods you carried out to look for improvements! I might as well also repost a comment I just left on 'avforums.com':

From the left there is an even light fade that covers approximately 22% of the screen, fading inwards. Then bleeding on the right hand corners - top and bottom. I can also see in a perfectly dark room patches of haze in various locations within the screen, no-where near the edges. When viewing normal content, all of this is hardly noticeable but I can detect the left side being slightly lighter - it is apparent.

I'm linking to a photo taken during the day so due to a fair amount of ambient light I have set the exposure time to create a slightly emphased effect over what one would normally see under these situations. However at night with no ambient light it's certainly more severe with the patches showing up within the screen and the right edges more pronounced. It is a 46" so possibly the bleeding is more severe the larger the screen? I'm just wondering if this is something I have to live with - from reading other posts it seems most are happy with only backlight visible at the corners.

Copy and paste for image - not enough points to post on forum: www.andrewb.co.za/misc/kdl-ex710.jpg

EDIT: I've set the backlight to '4' based on optimal callibration settings found @ led-tvbuyingguide.com (I say 'optimal' based on trust as I'm no expert at callibration myself). Power saving is set to 'off', not 'low' or 'high' (which also disables the custom backlight setting). Based on what's considered optimal, I don't want to drop backlight levels or switch power saving on to minimise the problem, with the visual trade-off most likely then incurred.

Can someone comment on my gripe? Am I just being unrealistic (a normal byproduct of LCD / LED vs the more expensive local dimming array) or is this a possible defect? Thanks!
post #377 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoman View Post

Well after two weeks with the 46ex710 I have to say I love it. My bleeding problem is no longer present in the level it was before. Tighten the screws back up some seemed to take care of the problems.

I have loosened the screws and I'm not sure if psychosomatic but it DOES seem a little better - viewing at night I'll have a better benchmark at my disposal. How does one 'massage' the screen? Damp cloth and move in circular motions very lightly? I don't want to damage pixels... I've had the unit for a week and it's not often used, prob 1-2 hrs per night so hopefully over time it gets better, as yours has

Anyone got an idea on the panel type? I did a test on the unit and got the full model number: 'T460HW04 V5' (unit off, then press 'i+' then '5' then 'vol+' then power on).
post #378 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin4u View Post

i see alot of you have your settings on custom
and i have tried both the settings a few pages back
but they seem to dark and dull
the room does have alot of sunlight if that makes a difference

i find the vivid and the first two settings set close to max make a huge difference

am i missing something here

I can't post links due to not enough stars but I'll attempt to post this link with crude hack: w w w . led-tvbuyingguide.com/sony-led-tv/sony-kdl40ex710-calibration.html
post #379 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

Hi there, I see to have exactly the same panel as you - same serial number with H (presume Hitachi ISP panel) within... how's your backlight bleeding? Got an approx 22% fade inwards on left hand side? Just wondering if this is commonplace with the panel itself. Thanks.
post #380 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbaddeley View Post

Hi there, I see to have exactly the same panel as you - same serial number with H (presume Hitachi ISP panel) within... how's your backlight bleeding? Got an approx 22% fade inwards on left hand side? Just wondering if this is commonplace with the panel itself. Thanks.

Same here. I've tried all the possible solutions posted here and have had little or no improvement. Set goes back tomorrow for an HX800. Hopefully that will be better.
post #381 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplates View Post

Same here. I've tried all the possible solutions posted here and have had little or no improvement. Set goes back tomorrow for an HX800. Hopefully that will be better.

in South Africa we pay a fat premium on this sort of thing. I hold down a decent job and the EX710 was more than 1/2 my months salary! I do not have the luxury of a quick, impulsive upgrade and 3d capabilities here is at least double the price.
post #382 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Nope, since it begins with "T" it's an AUO panel.
post #383 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

Thanks for info. does suck ass that, can't find other words to describe. maybe that's also why I'm getting some bleed than others with 40 and 55" screens. 55" was precisely double the price here in South Africa and I was buggered if I'd pay that for another 9" - already cost me an arm and a leg. Only other options was a Samsung but from what I've been reading the Sony's have their advantages irrespective of panel type. Funny thing is I can view it from the most extreme of angle and can't see any fade or lack of picture quality... if so, it's very slight.
post #384 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM

What I find wierd is that the review here:
http://led-tvbuyingguide.com/sony-le...dl46ex710.html

Links to the 40" for the full review. The site is scoring them identically, when they have different panel types and according to Digital Versus the one is inferior to the other.
post #385 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

Just read this: 'According to the Taipei Times, AU Optronics won a "gold" award for having a green factory. One of four in the world to receive the LEED gold standard, the 8.5 generation facility boasts a water recycling rate of 90%, equal to 3 million tonnes of tap water a year. They have wind-powered generators built into ventilation shafts, and they're willing to share this technology with other green-minded factories. They hope to become carbon-neutral next year.'

As a bit of a treehugger myself, that sits well with me - what the heck, I can live with all of this
post #386 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:

in South Africa we pay a fat premium on this sort of thing. I hold down a decent job and the EX710 was more than 1/2 my months salary! I do not have the luxury of a quick, impulsive upgrade and 3d capabilities here is at least double the price.

Nothing quick or impulsive about it. Don't want the corners bleeding as bad as they do. Period.....
post #387 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Just pulled the trigger on a 32" Ex710 for my daughter. I'm hoping it is a good match for her needs. Sure could use some settings for a 32" if anyone has them? She not much into this AVS stuff so I would pass on the setting to her to try.
I'm still enjoying my two 50" 3rd gen & 8th generation Pio plasma's. Hope they last a long, long time.

Mike
post #388 of 1259 Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 PM

k so here it goes ,

man i dont know where to start
ive had the 40' almost a week
almost took it back twice but didnt
i know about clouding and flashlighting

ive read over 50 pages in the 700 thread
and all here
im on info overload

but it all comes down to (for me) the biggest tv i can fit
since it is the smallest 40' anyone makes 37 1/2 inches wide
and i have no other options unless there is a 37 that would blow me away that someone here knows of ???

i have to be honest
ive tried all the different settings posted here and 700 thread
and they all seemed very gray and cloudy/smokey/foggy
i do have lots of windows in the room and watch sports mostly
and have found the vivid works best for me
i must be a newb then, cause the 30' vega hd tube i had previous had the best picture of all plasmas or lcds in this household on vivid settings

so here is me, the rookie

backlight 7
pic 92
bright 41
color 65
hue 0
color temp cool

sharp 13 ....of all settings this is the least noticable difference i have found besides white balances
noise off
mpeg off
motion standerd havent got used to that yet in high setting seems laggy
cine auto 1

now the questions

1. is there a way to save settings?

2. is there a true owners manual out there that actually has the settings listed

3. i have an old sony reciever str-k990p and when i plug into dish box vip 722
i get the blue light on reciever tellling me its true sound but it has .5 sec delay (lipsync)
i dont get blue light plugged into tv directly through optical

4. my 'pc to tv' program asks for ip address when i run
i type it in and it doesnt do anything?

5. connections .... ive had the old hdmi cords for 5 years is it nec. to upgrade for 120 refresh
dont need the ethernet option yet and

6. i have avia cal. disk running through ps2 through rcas is that a worthless setting cause of connection when in HD

7. dish guys do all your blue screens look like this
if not how do you fix

bad pic. but you can see the clouds
here is black if it works

ands here is the 22%

thxs 4 listen

newb out
post #389 of 1259 Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 AM

Something bizarre happened this morning.
My receiver apparently stopped forwarding HDMI video signal from my PC to my 32EX710.
Cross tests suggests the cables are in good condition.
I can get video with the graphics card directly connected to the TV.
The receiver setup OSD menu can also be displayed on the TV, so that suggests a good connection as well.
Everything was working fine for about a month now, not sure what happened this morning to trigger this.
Anyone have ideas? Thanks.
post #390 of 1259 Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukin4u View Post
k so here it goes ,

man i dont know where to start
ive had the 40' almost a week
almost took it back twice but didnt
i know about clouding and flashlighting
Check this link for calibration: http://led-tvbuyingguide.com/sony-le...libration.html

I'm going to get this unit returned ASAP and look into a Samsung C6900 with edge precision dimming. Will cost me over 25% more (as I got a good deal on the Sony) but I'm not living with this clouding - can't watch this screen. Hope the Samsung doesn't disappoint even though the dimming is edge vs local (I can't afford local dimming as it's 2x the price at present in my country). You've got the 40" which uses the PVA panel so all good
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page