Official Sony KDL-EX710 LCD-LED TVs - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW - I got the OB replaced again on my 60 XBR1. It's working real well, but after comparing the pq with my 60EX700, no way! The EX700 has much deeper blacks with better detail, brighter whites again with better detail and overall much sharper! Reason why the XBR1 is now relegated to the master bedroom for occasional use. Also, who knows how long before the color blobs return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

"The Quick & Dirty TV setup guide tells you how to make your newly purchased, just-turned-on HDTV look like it should - not crap!"

"If you've never watched a calibrated display before, then the chances are that you've been brainwashed/conditioned into thinking that blue-tinted whites are the "correct" whites. They aren't. Select your TV's "Warm2" (if it doesn't have one, use "Warm") colour temperature preset. Although this won't be bang-on 6500k (unless you're very, very lucky), it will be far closer to the 6500k mastering standard than the "Cool" or "Normal" settings (which are typically around 9000k and add a blue wash over your entire picture)."

"If you have never seen movies (or TV shows) the way they were intended to be seen, at 6500k, then the chances are you will think the picture looks too dull or too yellowy at first. Again, you're just used to the incorrect image - stick with the Warm option for awhile, change back to how you used to have it, and chances are, you'll be shocked."
http://www.lyris-lite.net/quick_and_dirty_tv_setup.html

I hear you.....if you knew how much time I spent on the XBR4 Thread and XBR4 calibration thread when I first got my tv.....I set up one of the options under Warm 2 and one under Cool. Watched them for a week and went with Cool. As "they" say on the AVS forums....YMMV.
post #543 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM

I've had my 55 inch 710 for a few days now and I'm still very pleased with it. I haven't noticed any flashlighting. I thought I saw some a couple times when I was really looking hard but if it was there it wasn't enough to really be bothered about. Right now I have my standard def Directv hooked up to it using the composite cables (white, red and yellow). I get a good bit of pixilation when watching TV this way. I tested it using a streamed movie through the wii and the picture was great so I'm hoping when I get my HD receiver and a HDMI cable hooked up the pixilation will go away. I have only found the custom, standard and I think movie picture modes. Aren't there more than this? Also I can't see a difference with motion flow on vs off. Is there just certain content where this becomes readily apparent?
post #544 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Custom, Vivid and Standard. Custom will give you the more adjustments so you can dial in a pq closer to the incoming signal. Vivid will exaggerates all the colors.

Normally use Motion Flow Low and Cinema 2. With Motion High will give you some "soap opera". With it off, you will lose some motion resolution. However, if you are a gamer, then from what I've read, you should turn it off. I am not a gamer, if I am misinformed, someone will chime in.

I have my tv connected to DirectTV via HDMI and i don't ever get any type of pixillation. Once you get connected, go to the DirectTV menu and select the maximum resolution you plan to use (1080). If you're planning to purchase 1080p movies, select that resolution as well and you'll be set.

Let us know once you get the HD box installed. Also, just curious which model of box they bring you.
post #545 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM

They are coming out Friday morning. I'll try and remember to report back.
post #546 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post

They are coming out Friday morning. I'll try and remember to report back.

Wow, nice X'mas present! I know you and your family will love the high def channels. I can't keep my wife from watching the HGTV channel, but what the heck, baseball season is over and so is the Cowboys season ): hehehe.
post #547 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Defintely. Its most noticeable during commercials as when I point it out to people that is when they notice it the most. But who cares about commercials though right, im just saying thats when its most noticable. To me it makes the biggest difference while watching hockey, maybe cause the motion is so fast moving up and down the ice.
post #548 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM

I just watched the movie Collateral on my kdl46ex710. This is the first time in two months of ownership where I most admit the flashlighting had a affect on the content, proabley because the whole movie basically takes place at night.
post #549 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm watching the news with a scroll bar across the bottom. The text looks a little larger when it first comes on screen from the side then smaller towards the middle. Is this normal?
post #550 of 1259 Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Well, I'll be taking my 46EX710 back and exchanging it for a 46EX500. I looked at both sets in the store and the quality on the 46EX500 didn't seem any worse than the 710 and maybe even better. The display model 710 also displayed flashlighting problems and part of the screen was brighter than the rest. Just like the two 710's I've been through. The display 500 didn't show these problems and from reading the 500 thread doesn't seem to be as big of a problem.
post #551 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 AM

So then, as owners of the Sony EX710, would you recommend this television to a HDTV first timer (recognizing of course the potential problems inherent to this class of a tv - viewing angle, flashlighting, etc)?

Thanks for your input!
post #552 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrabak View Post

So then, as owners of the Sony EX710, would you recommend this television to a HDTV first timer (recognizing of course the potential problems inherent to this class of a tv - viewing angle, flashlighting, etc)?

Thanks for your input!

without hesitation
post #553 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your input!

Not for the money...NO
post #554 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplates View Post

Not for the money...NO

So....do you feel that the TV is ok but overpriced or that the TV is flawed and should therefore be cheaper?

Thanks!
post #555 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 AM

I'm a HDTV first timer. I got the tv last weekend and the hd should be hooked up in the morning so obviously I can't speak to the hd part yet. I can say I am pleased with the tv. Maybe I'm not picky enough or just don't know what flaws to look for but I haven't seen anything in the tv to make me second guess the purchase. If there is flashlighting I haven't seen it yet. I do occasionally look in the corners or along the side to see if it is there but haven't noticed any. Maybe I just haven't watched the right content where it becomes apparent. Honestly, unless it is just terrible I would probably never notice anyway. I watched Return of the Jedi last night and the picture was great. My only problem is getting used to the big screen and higher pq than I had with the 32 crt I was using. Sometimes I do wonder if the motionflow is making it look a little different than I'm used to but I'm not sure if that is because I've read so much about it here or I'm still just getting accustomed to a 55 inch led vs 32 inch crt.
post #556 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

After 2 weeks with the 46ex710 I am moving on. There were a number of things I liked but in the end the viewing angle was really too poor. A foot or two in either direction just kills the picture, and I didn't realize how much that would effect the experience.
post #557 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Is anyone here happy with thier ex710?
post #558 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

After 2 weeks with the 46ex710 I am moving on. There were a number of things I liked but in the end the viewing angle was really too poor. A foot or two in either direction just kills the picture, and I didn't realize how much that would effect the experience.

Right now my spot on the couch is approx 30 degrees off center. Is the viewing angle going to be an issue for me? If not this TV then what is a better choice for viewing angles?
post #559 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 AM

I really don't notice much degradation with off angle viewing. Again, I think I'm pretty easy to please though.
post #560 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now my spot on the couch is approx 30 degrees off center. Is the viewing angle going to be an issue for me? If not this TV then what is a better choice for viewing angles?

Most LED tv are limited to no more that 15-20 degrees off center. Some are limited even more. My advice, get a plasma.

All plasma tv have issues as well, but they seem to provide the best viewing angles. The thing to remember is that there is no such thing as a perfect tv. You have to learn to live with the vagaries of each set.
post #561 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1987 View Post

Is anyone here happy with thier ex710?

I like mine, a lot!!!

I'm not sure if the problem is that some of these sets are fine and some have "excessive" flashlighting or fading on the side --OR-- some people are REALLY critical of every aspect of their HD viewing!!??

If you're one of the really critical people, I think you should go for a more expensive set...after all, this is pretty much an entry level set from Sony from what I've read.

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #562 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Most LED tv are limited to no more that 15-20 degrees off center. Some are limited even more. My advice, get a plasma.

All plasma tv have issues as well, but they seem to provide the best viewing angles. The thing to remember is that there is no such thing as a perfect tv. You have to learn to live with the vagaries of each set.

Ok, probably a stupid question....what would an image look like with 30-40 degrees off center viewing? I mean would it just look slightly washed out or are we talking unwatchable? I would love to get a higher end set or a plasma, but the maximum TV size that I can go for right now is 32 inches.
post #563 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't answer that question objectively. What might be acceptable to me might be objectionable to someone else. All I can say is that you PROBABLY will not like it.
post #564 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Ok, probably a stupid question....what would an image look like with 30-40 degrees off center viewing? I mean would it just look slightly washed out or are we talking unwatchable? I would love to get a higher end set or a plasma, but the maximum TV size that I can go for right now is 32 inches.

You might want to go to a store and do some experimenting on viewing angles...best way to tell what you'll find acceptable.

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #565 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Overall im happy with mine. It took my gaming experience to a whole new level. The clarity of the picture is amazing compared to my old flat screen. The flashlighting doesnt bother me cause you dont notice it at all while watching sports and thats mostley what i am viewing, you do notice while certain scenes of movies/tv shows are on but has minimal effect on the picture. I know people have complained about the viewing angles, and since i know that i have asked people what they have thought that has viewed mine and no complants. Not to mention the energy saving features are awesome, and love how you only gotta set the picture one time for whatever your trying to view. gaming, theater mode, cable, etc.
post #566 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Would anyone happen to have a link to any pictures of off angle viewing for the ex710? I agree that I need to go to a store and see firsthand but if anyone had any pictures in the meantime they would be appreciated. I live an hour away from any store that carries this model (though the size is sold out and the demo model is no longer there - they have the other sizes though) and the weather has been bad so it may be a while before I can go see one firsthand.
post #567 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The ex710 was/is my fisrt choice in my LED vs Plasma buying journey. It's hard to look at off-angle viewing in the store. I'm surprised someone commented that anything more than a 15-20 degree variation kills the PQ. That is quite a small cone.
post #568 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post

The ex710 was/is my fisrt choice in my LED vs Plasma buying journey. It's hard to look at off-angle viewing in the store. I'm surprised someone commented that anything more than a 15-20 degree variation kills the PQ. That is quite a small cone.

some people are morons. there is nothing wrong with this tv and its priced competitively [ I paid 989 ] . this off angle viewing nonsense is just that: what do you have 4 people sitting in a line or something so you cant watch it? get real here, its a good tv for the price. it makes me kick myself for not staying with sony in the first place over samsung [which had a defect they wont take ownership of] . the menus the channel functions everything except the tinny sound [no plans to hook up to receiver since its in an office] but the picture is very good. brings back the old 'looking thru a window' feel again. make sure you get some good settings to show it off. its not the best but not the worst either. a good workmanlike led edge lit display and nothing more or less.
post #569 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Would anyone happen to have a link to any pictures of off angle viewing for the ex710? I agree that I need to go to a store and see firsthand but if anyone had any pictures in the meantime they would be appreciated. I live an hour away from any store that carries this model (though the size is sold out and the demo model is no longer there - they have the other sizes though) and the weather has been bad so it may be a while before I can go see one firsthand.

dont be stupid. you cannot accurately judge an hdtv picture without seeing it in person. PERIOD
post #570 of 1259 Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_b_avs View Post

dont be stupid. you cannot accurately judge an hdtv picture without seeing it in person. PERIOD

No need to imply stupidity......this is all pretty new to me. I asked because I respect the opinions and experiences of the forum members...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays