Official Sony KDL-EX710 LCD-LED TVs - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My A10? It's going to basement for gaming. Your plans seems well thought out. I'll keep it to a few tweaks here and there.

Why allow to acclimate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by net_synapse View Post

I just got a call from my sister this morning asking me to install her new
KDL-46EX710 that arrives tomorrow.

She has been debating the purchase of her first LCD TV for the past three years.

God I hope this does not turn into a nightmare purchase...

*** UPDATE ***

I installed the TV for her yesterday.

I really did not do too much in the way of calibration yet but here are my thoughts:

1. The TV looks really good when feed DVD / Blu-ray signal.

2. HD performance was a bit lackluster on most channels but this is not due to the TV but is caused by the compression of the signal from cable provider.

3. The set definitely suffers from flashlight effect on all four corners.
(Note: I was able to lesson the effect somewhat with some tweaking, hopefully I can improve or completely correct this issue by spending more time with the set in the future...

TWC (Southern Manhattan) | 4640HDC | ODN 7.3.0_29
post #93 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The set definitely suffers from flashlight effect on all for corners.

I've seen a few posts that lead me to believe that could be due to manhandling a set into position. More times than not, you'll have two people picking it up by the top and bottom corners. That stresses the panel a bit and could cause temporary bright spots.

You could try massaging a corner to see if it helps (not sure if lotion would help ) or just let it go for a bit and see if it fixes itself.

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #94 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplates View Post

Why allow to acclimate?

Common sense with any electronics. More so I'd think with something as big and complex as one of these puppies. By the time your set arrives, it'll have been bouncing around in a truck or plane for a while, moving across time zones and climates. We're down in the 50s around here for highs, so there's at least a 20 degree temp differential just getting it in the house. I always at least let the hi tech goodies warm up to room temp.

Wonder if they put DEW sensors in these things? I asked earlier with no response. If there's any condensation inside, a DEW equipped unit won't even power on until the brain says it's ok.

Besides, it gives you time to read the book ok ...

Last I heard, they don't provide a printed manual anymore. Cheez ... here's a link.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=KDL46EX710

Oh. If there's any doubt as to the similarities across the EX700 and EX710 product lines, it looks like the link to the OFFICIAL 46EX710 from the OFFICIAL SONY DOWNLOAD SITE is for a 32EX700. Whooda thunk, eh.

post #95 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Any way to get a printed copy of the iManual?

post #96 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM

uhhhhh, I've seen this "massaging" thing in a few different threads now. At first I thought it was a joke, but I guess it isn't? So, what exactly are you supposed to do? And this is supposed to help with clouding, right? I think I'm gonna try the other suggestions first, you know, get to know the girl a little... let her get used to her new environment and then run it a few days before I start tweaking.

I've seen quite a few posts today of people getting shipping confirmations from Sony. I received the email approving my 55" replacement so now I'm waiting for the shipping email.

Thinking about mounting it on the wall up high with a tilt, but I'm concerned that the tv being on that tilt will eventually cause some problems. Anyone read or know of issues developing with LCDs on a tilt mount for an extended period of time?
post #97 of 1259 Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

I've seen a few posts that lead me to believe that could be due to manhandling a set into position. More times than not, you'll have two people picking it up by the top and bottom corners. That stresses the panel a bit and could cause temporary bright spots.

You could try massaging a corner to see if it helps (not sure if lotion would help ) or just let it go for a bit and see if it fixes itself.

I can assure you that the set was handled as gently as possible.

I agree that the TV should have some run time under its belt before screaming and ripping hair out of your head.

Once the set is used for a bit I will revisit and try to tweak for maximum performance.

TWC (Southern Manhattan) | 4640HDC | ODN 7.3.0_29
post #98 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by net_synapse View Post

I can assure you that the set was handled as gently as possible.

I agree that the TV should have some run time under its belt before screaming and ripping hair out of your head.

Once the set is used for a bit I will revisit and try to tweak for maximum performance.

I agree. In any case, the sets I viewed did not have any issues. And if there WAS an issue and I did not notice then it makes no matter to me. Good luck to all with their tv's.
post #99 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 AM

I received my 46EX710 on Wednesday afternoon, but have not had much time to watch (with the exception of a Phillies game or two). My first impression - it is a much better television than the 42A10 that it is replacing. Even my wife, who really liked the A10, was stunned by the picture's increased detail and more realistic color.

This weekend will be the time to apply tweeks. I will look for the problems noted in other posts (flashlight effect).

As for choice of televisions, I was offered a 40EX500 (NC), 46EX710 ($325), 55EX501 ($625) or a 52NX800 ($875). I traveled to a local Sony Style outlet and yacked with a salesman who advised that the major difference between the sets was the Bravia 3 Engine. Said that the difference between the EX710 and NX800 was mostly cosmetic (the Monolith built in edge) and internet. Said the Motionflow 240 did not add much to the viewing experience. Also, the NX800 has a funny way of keeping the set upright - it does not have a swivel base but instead is placed in a slit in the base and leans back slightly.

It never entered my mind to ask about other sets. Guess I am a more passive consumer and still kinda shocked that I was being offered a new television.

Anyway, I may find that this is not a "perfect" television, but it looks much better than what I was watching and does not have a big blue blob in the center of the picture.
post #100 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has there been any info put out as to when the 60" may hit the streets?
post #101 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

Common sense with any electronics. More so I'd think with something as big and complex as one of these puppies. By the time your set arrives, it'll have been bouncing around in a truck or plane for a while, moving across time zones and climates. We're down in the 50s around here for highs, so there's at least a 20 degree temp differential just getting it in the house. I always at least let the hi tech goodies warm up to room temp.

Wonder if they put DEW sensors in these things? I asked earlier with no response. If there's any condensation inside, a DEW equipped unit won't even power on until the brain says it's ok.

Besides, it gives you time to read the book ok ...

Last I heard, they don't provide a printed manual anymore. Cheez ... here's a link.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...mdl=KDL46EX710

Oh. If there's any doubt as to the similarities across the EX700 and EX710 product lines, it looks like the link to the OFFICIAL 46EX710 from the OFFICIAL SONY DOWNLOAD SITE is for a 32EX700. Whooda thunk, eh.

Jeeez...we're not talking about fine wines that most be laid to rest at proper temperatures prior to opening and consuming...hehehehe.

My Tv was up and partially running about 20 minutes after delivery. Outside temperature was close to 100 and humid, inside around 75, thanks to air cond. After around 5 months it's still performing great! Almost as great as the Texas Rangers...heheeheeee!

In fact, I was advised to unpack and turn on the tv prior to signing the receipt, if the box looked like it had been kicked around. Thankfully, the box and tv were delivered in top shape.

Here's hoping you guys get your tv's soon and in great shape.
post #102 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Having told Sony that I would take their offer of a KDL55EX710, I decided that I should go look at one. Best Buy had it on the wall so high that you couldn't really tell anything about the picture. Does it really have a black bezel on the top and sides with a silver gray bezel on the bottom? After leaving Best Buy I went to Sam's Club for provisions where I saw the best looking set of the day, a Vizio XVT42 3SV, wow what a picture. Anyway I'd appreciate it if one of you owners would post about the bezel. I thank you!
post #103 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen the EX710 in person, but that sounds like my EX700, with silver on the bottom.

Here's a test just published on the Visio: http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...784/Motion.htm
post #104 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 04:34 PM

LCDs ARE temperature sensitive and can be damaged by extremes. They're typically rated from 54F to 104F ambient temp, or thereabouts, depending where you look. If you think back to the bad old daze, I successfully killed a couple wrist watches just wearing them outside to shovel snow. Granted, there's been some serious progress since then, but the principles remain the same.

I remember reading in a newspaper recently (yes - they still print them!) that cold weather destroyed a set. Dude put one in his cottage. Came winter, he did as he'd always done to winterize the place, thinking nothing of the shiny new tv sitting in the corner. Come spring, it worked, sort of, but was basically unwatchable. Lots of dead spots, stuck pixels, shimmer and such as he described it. I was also able to goooogle up a couple RV websites that recommend you remove LCDs (and most other portable electronics) prior to parking them for the winter.

Anyway ... Yes - I am talking extremes here. Not saying a 20 degree difference WILL affect a panel, but ... why take a chance? I did find a couple references that suggest you allow at least 30 minutes for the set to settle out and reach room temp in any case.

I suppose we're lucky these things don't have any memory foam in them - wasn't that long ago, a store refused to deliver a Tempur Pedic bed I'd purchased. They got to the house, but it was below freezing all day and apparently the truck got loaded wrong. Late in the day, the mattress was frozen stiff, and they were afraid it would crack. True dat! When they showed up a couple days later, early in the morning, they even brought along a warning from Tempur as evidence they weren't just blowing smoke.

BTW - congrats to those Rangers ... one more mountain.
Hey batter batter batter!

post #105 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkin71crosby87 View Post

uhhhhh, I've seen this "massaging" thing in a few different threads now. At first I thought it was a joke, but I guess it isn't? So, what exactly are you supposed to do? And this is supposed to help with clouding, right?

I got bored waiting for my TV to show up, so I read all 80? pages of the EX700 thread. Saw a couple references to the bright corners issue. Couple mentions of that settling down over time, and a ponder or two about maybe that could be caused by handling the tv at the corners when setting it up. Seems reasonable - press lightly in the corner of your computer monitor and you'll see the same sort of thing. Not as drastic, but you're talking a bunch less weight and pressure. I suppose, common sense would dictate you just be real careful not to touch the screen at ANY time if you can help it.

(Is it true the 710 has a metal back on it? That would certainly help (one would think) to stiffen out the set and minimize any loading on the screen itself.)

Oh. Massage. Lotsa posts on the topic throughout the LCD threads. Closer to home, one guy posted up that he had the bright corners on an EX700 and was able to massage them out - mostly. The rest settled down over time and you really got to look for it now. He started the massage (light pressure - circular motion) just outside the bright spots, then worked his way slowly to the corners. Couple other people posted back that it also worked for them.

Anyway - couldn't hurt? Just be careful not to press too hard. I hear the best is to do a couple test presses to establish the correct pressure to use, just enough to show a slight bloom around the finger, then go from there. Also highly recommended to use a clean microfiber cloth to keep from marring the surface.

post #106 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Virtually anything, including fine wines, can be damaged by extreme temperatures. The truck that delivered my tv was not air conditioned and if the outside temperature was close to 100 then the inside must have been around 150-160 with the hot Texas sun beating on it. But the tv was not ON, otherwise it probably would've been damaged trying to operate under such adverse conditions. Now, if they had the tv sitting outside outside of the truck, under the sun, that would've been a different story.

Geeez, they have snow where you live, REAL snow? Must be fun! That dude's cottage must have been close to the North Pole...hehehe! Anyway, it will take you 20-30 minutes to look over the box, take the box apart and take the foam, plastic stuff off the tv, etc. If it was so critical, they would have all kinds of warning stickers all over the place. One thing these manufacturers are really good at, it's called CYA!

Man, good thing the Rangers won last night. It rained all day and they even had tornado warnings just north of Dallas. They would've had to play two games on Sunday. I saw a huge lighting bolt just on the other side of the tall magnolia tree in front of our house. It momentarily set off our burglar alarm. Don't know why, the front of our house seem to attract lightning quite often. Years ago I was at the computer and my CRT monitor went into cardiac arrest due to a lighting bolt. The guy across the street saw it and told me it landed about 4 feet from the magnolia tree. It fried my garage door opener and my then new Sony TV console.
post #107 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, Hugh, on the Rangers big win. Now there are only two teams left in MLB that have never made it to the World Series (the Mariners & the Nationals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruffin View Post

As for choice of televisions, I was offered a 40EX500 (NC), 46EX710 ($325), 55EX501 ($625) or a 52NX800 ($875). I traveled to a local Sony Style outlet and yacked with a salesman who advised that the major difference between the sets was the Bravia 3 Engine. Said that the difference between the EX710 and NX800 was mostly cosmetic (the Monolith built in edge) and internet.

I, also, was offered the 52NX800, but it looks like that model has been discontinued. It's been replaced by the 55NX810. One of the most important differences between the EX & the NX line is the finish on the screen. The EX has a matte surface, better suited for brighter rooms so the reflection off the screen is minimized. The NX series has a gloss surface, which yields better contrast, but it better be in a darkened room.

The EX710 series is smaller & lighter and more energy efficient than the equivalent EX700. Looking closely at the EX500 series and the EX700 series, The blacks, angle of view & backlight evenness looked better on the EX500 than the EX700, in my opinion. Even though the 500s have the "Bravia 2" engine, and the 700s have "Bravia 3", I think that has more to do with the 700s having internet capability. Of course, the 700s feature LED-edge backlighting which yields a much thinner panel and consumes less energy.
post #108 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Don't know why, the front of our house seem to attract lightning quite often.

Lightning can be fun. Up till lately, I was one of those who'd see a big storm moving in, grab a beer and head for the screen porch to watch the world fall apart. Couple months back, did that, just got comfortable, and CRACK!!

Blew the transformer right off the utility pole. I didn't hear it land, what with the ringing and all. Talk about blue blobs? All I was seeing was BLUE BLOBS. Stumbled inside, headed for the basement, and cowered in the corner in my slightly soiled underwear ...

Not so fond of storms now.

I did find out that those "whole house" surge protectors do work. My utility company talked me into one a few years back that mounts right behind the meter. Seems to me it was $160 or thereabouts installed. I had a couple GCI sockets that tripped, and lost my modem. Not bad, all considered. Reset the GCIs, find a new modem, fill the crater in the front yard where the transformer hit and I'm good to go.

Well, that and running out the next day to get an alert weather radio ... and some new shorts.

post #109 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yikes, that had to be a scary moment! Man, it could've hit your house instead! I often wish I had one of those whole house surge suppressors, but we do not have a friendly utility company. I could call on an electrician, but around here electricians and plumbers charge more for a service call than doctors do...no, I am not kidding!

Well, I can be thankful, the surge suppressors protected my Sony tv, iMac, etc. and the house didn't get hit.
post #110 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM

Ya. From what I understand, I paid about half what the going price was for the surge unit, and no labor. I look at it as getting back some of the monthly charges hidden in the small print that have absolutely nothing to do with electricity OR it's delivery. "Securitization"? That's not even a word! "It's not our fault - blame it on the terrorists!!" Ka ching! They just added another line item for "system access". Ka ching! And why the hell is it I have to pay an extra buck for "energy optimization"?? Ka ching! If it's optimized, it should oughta be cheaper, right?

Anyway, I did put a surge protector on the modem. I should probably check into putting something on the satellite feeds too. Does DISH build anything into their standard installation?

post #111 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyway, I did put a surge protector on the modem. I should probably check into putting something on the satellite feeds too. Does DISH build anything into their standard installation?>>>

On all of their installations, they are supposed to ground the dishes. I haven't inspected them, but judging by some shoddy work I have seen on my installation and others, I have my doubts. Anyway, I switched to DrectTv before the baseball season started because they are the only ones that carry the MLB Network.
post #112 of 1259 Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM

I may have to switch too. Not for MLB, but just for principles.

Called them up a couple weeks back to check on upgrading to HD. I'm still running standard definition from my original installation 10 years back. They wanted me to agree to a two year commitment.

My response. I did that ten years ago. You want another two year commitment? I did that ... like ... EIGHT years ago. They also wanted my to sign up for AutoPay on a credit card (I still do snail mail) and pay an extra $6 a month for a "service agreement". But we'll wave the minimum $75 charge to install the new dish and receiver!

I hung up on em. Not in that big a hurry. I've got a decent selection of HD off the air here. Besides - I figure, won't be long they're gonna want to shut off all the standard feeds to make room for max HD. Right now, they're pushing a $99 for life HD package trying to make a few more bucks before they switch over completely. When that happens, seems to me they'll pretty much have to upgrade the equipment at no charge to keep me as a customer.

Plan B? Switch to DirecTV. They'd want about the same - two year commitment, autopay, blah de blah, but they're also throwing in discounted programming AND free movie channels for new customers too.

post #113 of 1259 Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 AM

I very much enjoyed reading the following article:
http://www.lyris-lite.net/quick_and_dirty_tv_setup.html
hughh had posted it over in the 701 thread....Thanks hughh!
post #114 of 1259 Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, what really bugs me is they hardly ever include their existing customers on all the good deals.

Way back when ESPN announced they would have their Sunday baseball game in HiDef and their first game was going to be from The Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, I called DirecTv. They told me they didn't have a contract to carry it, but were working on it. I gave them until 10 days before the first pitch was thrown on HiDef. They didn't come through, so I bolted to DishNet and stayed there until last spring.

If anyone is thinking about switching, they can get a sweet deal by switching to either of those two. The best place to find out about the deals, best equipment, etc. is here:
http://www.dbstalk.com/

DirecTv has a new box that new subscribers can get for nothing. It's much faster than the one I have. I think that's the one people getting what they call "Total House" get.
I can get that box, but it costs $200 and that's the price for the lease of this box, I do not own it. So, if you're thinking about switching, I recommend you do the same thing you've been doing on this board and become fairly knowledgeable for when you finally get to talk deals with them.

Keep us updated, friend!
post #115 of 1259 Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rabbit View Post

I very much enjoyed reading the following article:
http://www.lyris-lite.net/quick_and_dirty_tv_setup.html
hughh had posted it over in the 701 thread....Thanks hughh!

Glad to know someone found the article enjoyable and useful. That's what we're here for, to learn and to share.
post #116 of 1259 Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Well ... that and spread rumors ...

post #117 of 1259 Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM

I got offered one of these in 46/55" as a replacement for my KDS-R50XBR1 which has OB problems once again.

Has anyone received a 55EX710 yet that has a good, uniform backlight? This and black level are probably the two things I care the most about, I tend to watch a lot of video that has very dark scenes, and flashlighting and such really drive me up a wall. Another thing, does anyone have any idea what input lag is like for gaming? I'm pretty sure Sony is just going to wash their hands of me once I get the replacement, so I want to make sure I'm making the right decision before pulling the trigger.

Based on this thread and you guys talking about bright corners, etc, I've emailed back asking for more options. I'm really hoping that I get offered the XBR-52HX909...I think it might be the only set I'd truly be happy with.
post #118 of 1259 Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrem View Post

Based on this thread and you guys talking about bright corners, etc, I've emailed back asking for more options. I'm really hoping that I get offered the XBR-52HX909...I think it might be the only set I'd truly be happy with.

Tell them you want to hear their offer for that tv. I've seen people talk about getting offers on tv's they asked for, but it seems to come at a much higher price and somewhat less of a *discount*.
post #119 of 1259 Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 AM

Got my 46ex710 last night. Hooked her up and am mostly satisfied. Set seems to suffer a bit on extreme angles but it's reasonable. Watching the Hockey game last night on versus was a pleasure without any yellow blobs on the ice. Motion Blur was at a minimum if hardly noticable unless looking for it. My only complaint is that there is some pinkish flesh tones under certain lighting conditions. I'm hoping a some good tweaking will take care plus I need to hook up via HDMI. Should have gotten that cable yesterday. Didn't not notice any corner flashlighting but I'm not too concerned with that.
Today I hook up the WiFi.
post #120 of 1259 Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Today I hook up the WiFi

Let us know how that goes! Wireless...Did you use the Sony dongle? Did you use the lan connection?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page