Official Sony KDL-EX710 LCD-LED TVs - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll also be trying my NVidia HDMI graphics card in my home theater connected PC, hoping overscan and issues with adjusting it doesn't bite me like it did with the KDS-55A2000 before it, I'll know soon enough...

Sony KDL-55HX800 LED LCD TV
(replaced KDL-55EX710, which replaced '06 KDS-55A2000 Rear Projection)
Sony STR-DA5600ES AV Receiver
(replaced STR-DA5300ES)
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Anybody come up with a good option for local disposal of green hue KDS-55A2000 with the serial number sticker peeled off?

(replaced STR-DA5300ES)
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray
post #183 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkererguy View Post

Anybody come up with a good option for local disposal of green hue KDS-55A2000 with the serial number sticker peeled off?

Park it outside a new housing development with a sign that says

FREE!!!
WORKS!

I got one down the road from me. They're always short on furnishings and picking thru my trash all the time. I put an old recliner out just the other day, walked into the garage to make a sign, and the thing was gone by the time I got back out there. And I'd consider a working TV particularly good trash.

Mine went to the neighbor. They're setting it up in the basement. They've got kids who like to wii, and at least they won't have to worry about them tossing controllers thru the screen on the big set upstairs ...

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #184 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I'll also be trying my NVidia HDMI graphics card in my home theater connected PC, hoping overscan and issues with adjusting it doesn't bite me like it did with the KDS-55A2000 before it, I'll know soon enough...

I saw a vertical line adjustment that should take care of that.
Let us know how it all works out.
My ATI graphics were a bit large for the screen but I was able to adjust tje Sony to scale it correctly.

post #185 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingThunder View Post

I set my 55ex710 up several days ago and ran thru several shows pulled from the dvr using the preset "Home" settings.

Just don't forget to switch to HOME before you get into tweaking your settings. The STORE setting will reset to the factory defaults if turn it off at the main switch or lose power. That's set up so it's easier for the stores to reset the equipment after a full day of customer's pushing their buttons.

Betcha the salesmen wish they had a personal STORE setting too so they could reset after a full day of customers pushing THEIR buttons ...

post #186 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

Glad you like the set I have a question regarding your comment on the overscan. I thought that direct view LCD panels are 1:1 pixel displays. In other words - no overscan when fed a 1080p source. Under what conditions are you seeing overscan? Am I mistaked about the 1:1 pixel display?

There was a small bit of overscan (less than 2%) in the Full picture mode. I bumped the setting to +1 and all was well. I doubt I'd have noticed without using the calibration disc.

I've yet to watch a movie after the calibration so I can't say if the adjustment results in a real world difference.
post #187 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a 460 GTX connected to the 32EX710 via HDMI.
Worked right of the box, zero tinkering required. No need to mess around with overscan settings, and auto scene select is pretty intelligent.
Not sure if you intend to use other connections though. Didn't bother to try analog when I have HDMI.
There is one issue though which would be an annoyance but does not create any functionality disturbances.
Everything worked liked a charm initially. But after updating the drivers to 260.99, then weird things around the control panel occurs.
1. nVidia driver no longer accurately identifies the TV (it sees it as PNP monitor), while Windows 7 still sees the device as Sony TV.
2. You do not have the option to turn off HDMI sound. If you choose the option that turns off sound over HDMI then the TV will return a blank page due to signal error. Of course, the way to get around this if you don't intend to use the TV speakers, is simply set your default sound device to something else in Windows.
3. The option to tinker with color depth and frequency disappears too.
So stick with older drivers if you find any of these problems unacceptable.
Here is an example of what I mean:
post #188 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Been playing around with the DVE dvd a bit. Fair warning - the following are all SD material (480P). Pics are taken at 1.2 megapixel and then jpg compressed for posting.

Here's a set of pics to show how the "guns" are set up on this set. Here is the test pattern provided to balance the colors:

DVE includes a set of color filters to do your basic calibration. First view the pattern thru the blue filter which will show the most gross errors. Once that's adjusted, the red and green should also be good. Theoretically, of course.

So ... here's the results thru the BLUE filter:

That's EXACTLY what you're supposed to get! Wahoo!! But wait ... there's more! Here's the same settings thru the RED filter:

The pattern matches the expected results. The filter masks the correct range of colors that SHOULD be masked. Almost. You can see a couple squares that don't quite disappear outside the range. It's more apparent via the mark one eyeball (I did mention the low res picture thing).Still ... overall, not bad. So, that leaves the GREEN filter:

Even more inconsistencies. Not only do I have shadow blocks outside the designated range for green, I also don't have even color throughout that range. Those adjacent blocks within the range are supposed to blend seamlessly.

I didn't get a set of intermediate shots of the screen prior to adjusting the white balance. So shoot me. Suffice it to say, it was worse with the default 0 settings for bias and gain. What you see is the best I could get with the available menu settings. Once again, not all that bad. Keep telling yourself, this IS an entry level set. Once I got back to watching REAL TV, I went back in and pushed the tint to G5. That gave me much more realistic overall viewing based on my current tweaks. Doesn't mean I won't be paying close attention to see if anybody finds a better way via the service menu.

And it's not Sony's fault. It's YOURS. Well ... ours. We all want our rosy fleshtones and bright green grass on the sports channels, and there's no mfg who doesn't bias their color sets to push the spectrum. Main difference is, the premium sets will have a better selection of menu settings to play with.

post #189 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Thought this would be interesting. Once again, DVE and as you can see, I'm cycling the grayscale bars thru the temp settings.

Pretty good indication of why the WARM2 seems to be the most popular starting point for the tweaks we've seen posted up. That's the closest to true grayscale you can get. Even then, from what I've seen and read, it's nowhere close to the holy grail ... 6500.

Oh. In case you're wondering about the bars on the side - the screen background of the test pattern is true black. The center bars are 4% above that, and the inner bars are 2%. The outside bars are BELOW true black. You adjust the picture until the outside bars disappear, then tweak them up till they're just barely visible. This prevents clipping the black levels and gives you the best possible picture. If you notice any inconsistencies from the left and right sides of the screen, well ... ooPs! I had the camera slightly off center and that's what done it. More on that in the next post.

post #190 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 PM

In a word?
Abismal.
But then again, aren't they all?

Here's a screenshot of the test pattern straight on. Don't mind the blue background - I cranked up the gamma to also show the slightly brighter corners that you've heard so much about. And once again, come to find out, I had the camera slightly off center. AND I had a light on in the other room that was probable giving some reflection. There is no difference in brightness side to side in the real world - trust me on that. Frankly, I don't notice the corners at all with normal programming content using my custom settings.

And here it is from the side at about 45 degrees. With I might add, absolutely no changes except for moving the tripod ...

Well now ... that just ... what's the technical term ... sucks? The specs on these things (if they show them at all) will normally list somewhere around 70 degrees "watchable" angle before you suffer serious degradation of pic quality. I'd say, even at 45 degrees, this is "unwatchable". Food for thought if you've got a large room with scattered seating. You may just find yourself having to duke it out with the rest of the crew for the prime seating position when one of "their shows" is on. High or low viewing as opposed to eye level is just as bad, so you'll want to be careful when you pick a stand. I'd say the "sweet spot" is maybe 15-20 degrees before you start to notice some minor dropoff.

Keep in mind, I DID crank the gamma some for emphasis. It's not REALLY as bad as all that, but it's certainly bad enough.

And once again, not a problem for me. NOBODY gets near my sleepy hollow tv chair. Took me YEARS to get it broke in just perfect for my posterior. And my posterior prefers to be positioned exactly in said sweet spot, and the rest of the room arranged around it. Works for me.

EDIT: I mentioned reflection. I am IMPRESSED with the anti-glare quality of the matte screen. It's actually glossier than my old A10 series, but some of the reflections I'd learned to live with on that one are just gone now. Kudos to Sony on that.

post #191 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Yup. Especially for what I paid.

Here's a couple more pics, and I promise I'm done. These are also decent examples of the B3 engine's upscaling of SD material. That's another bonus for me, as I'm up to my ears in SD. Even my satellite feed is SD. I'd heard Sony did a better job than most, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the results. Here I'm feeding 480p from my DVR ...

Overall picture quality is VERY good. Can't give it an outstanding as that's reserved for the high end sets. All in all, I like the pic and features, and the quality of the build looks good. Pivot stand is shakey, but that's just me. I plan on building it into a box, so that's definitely not a deal breaker. Worth noting if you have a hoard of screaming rugrats tho - I'd consider either nailing it down or making sure it's at least off the beaten path.

If I were to be excruciatingly picky, the slight brightness in the corners and occasional hints of subtle flashlighting might be worth mentioning, but I can't really say it's noticable when watching. More noticable when watching transition screens (switching inputs, etc.) but I'd think that's because there's no real color info being fed to the screen. Can't see it in sidebars or rolling credits (those are feeding true black or better to the screen), so ... eh.

So, my personal unprofessional slightly biased seeing I already own it opinion?

WE NOW RETURN CONTROL OF YOUR TELEVISION SET

post #192 of 1259 Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 PM

I've heard this can either go away or become less apparent as the set burns in.

Here's something interesting. As I was reviewing my research (read: trying to remember what the *#&^$% I did as I posted this stuff up) I was cycling thru some of the test screens on the DVE disk. Last one up was a 50% gray wash. That was showing a slight flare in each corner.

Wandered off, forgot about it ... that was maybe four hours ago.

Just took a peek, and yup ... the grayscale screen is still there, but the corner flares are gone.

?

I'm thinking I was just accelerating the burn in process. Then again, it could come back tomorrow. Or be dependant on how long the set's been running. Who knows? Should be interesting to find out.

post #193 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollysods View Post

Well, I have the 55EX710 on the way and I am having mixed feelings about it because of the reports from these new ones being all over the place.
My situation is, I had a 52XBR6 for 1-yr and 4-months and it failed from the "venetian blind problem" of the LCD panel.
I didn't have the extra warr. on it but after finding out that the XBR4's were getting extended warr. from SONY due to defective panels I felt comfortable calling and trying to get some relief from SONY.
They offered about a 32% discount on a new KDL55EX710, so I wasn't really happy about the whole situation but it was just enough to make me go for it....and I know it is only out of the goodness of SONY's heart that I am getting the discount because after all I was out of WARR. But would you expect a TV like that to fail after less than 1 and 1/2 years....me either.
I felt like that TV show where the bank makes an offer on the suitcase of possible money just almost too good to turn down...ha ha...I would have purchased a SAMSUNG for a replacement but their offer was just good enough for me to go for it.
But after reading all of these people reviews I am wondering if I made the wise choice.
I know, I am rambling, but thanks for letting me.
Time will tell.
I called SONY and tried to ask for other larger screen options but they would only offer this one.....I mean I wold have even considered paying more money for a better and larger screen model. SONY said something about limited supply and that was all they could offer.

Sony offered me the 55EX710 or the 60EX500 for about the same price (about a grand) because of the trouble I was having with a 6 year old WE610 with both the optical block problem and the melted/burnt plastic & electronics around the bulb. They also offered me a 60EX701, but for this they wanted another $600. After some of the disappointing reviews of the 710s came in concerning the uneven backlighting, I looked more carefully at the 500 and read the (very) long thread in AVS. I ended up getting the 60EX500 because of the following (in order):
-Hughh's advice on getting the largest TV that will fit into the room. It really is good advice as long as you have done a good job dealing with the WAF. (BTW, Hugh, sorry about your Rangers.)
-I was (am) not confident that Sony will come out with a 60EX710, and even if they did, it would be out of my price range.
-I looked at both the 700, 710 & 500s at BB, and thought the blacks and viewing angle of the 500s were slightly (not overwhelming) better.
-It was just about impossible to tell about uneven backlighting because the "store settings" are so obnoxiously overdriven, I thought everything looked bad, especially next to some great looking plasmas. (I think the plasma manufacturers were making their case!) So I had to rely on the postings here and on the 700 and 500 boards, which gave thumbs-up on the 500s having a truly consistant and even CCFL backlit screen.
-I did not care about screen thickness, weight, bezel thickness or internet ready features.
-I cared slightly about energy consumption, but not enought to go for smaller or lower PQ TV.
I sent Sony my paperwork on 10/21 (not overnight mail), and I received the TV yesterday - just a little over a week! I'm volunteering for a congressional campaign, so I'll set it up after the election. When I do, I'll post my thoughts on the 500 forum.

BTW, did you know that a 60" TV has almost 20% more screen area than a 55", and a 55" has 37% more screen area than a 47"? And if you watch letterbox movies, this extra area is much appreciated!
post #194 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are connected to a PC, and care for color accuracies or gray-scale.
This is a site to go and free!
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test

In the end, I decided not to cough up for $65 software (aka DisplayMate) that I would possibly use only once and never use again.
post #195 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

Yup. Especially for what I paid.

Here's a couple more pics, and I promise I'm done. These are also decent examples of the B3 engine's upscaling of SD material. That's another bonus for me, as I'm up to my ears in SD. Even my satellite feed is SD. I'd heard Sony did a better job than most, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the results. Here I'm feeding 480p from my DVR ...

Overall picture quality is VERY good. Can't give it an outstanding as that's reserved for the high end sets. All in all, I like the pic and features, and the quality of the build looks good. Pivot stand is shakey, but that's just me. I plan on building it into a box, so that's definitely not a deal breaker. Worth noting if you have a hoard of screaming rugrats tho - I'd consider either nailing it down or making sure it's at least off the beaten path.

If I were to be excruciatingly picky, the slight brightness in the corners and occasional hints of subtle flashlighting might be worth mentioning, but I can't really say it's noticable when watching. More noticable when watching transition screens (switching inputs, etc.) but I'd think that's because there's no real color info being fed to the screen. Can't see it in sidebars or rolling credits (those are feeding true black or better to the screen), so ... eh.

So, my personal unprofessional slightly biased seeing I already own it opinion?

WE NOW RETURN CONTROL OF YOUR TELEVISION SET

Could you post your settings? I would like to try them, thanks in advance!
post #196 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

To anyone who owns the 40 inch EX710, can you please MEASURE the exact width of the TV please? actual measurements are different the published specs. i have a very tight area i am hoping to put this tv in. Thanks

Bump

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #197 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

Bump

Don't forget, the TV needs room to "breathe" so you don't want it too tight. Overheating can be a problem if there is no air circulation.
post #198 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 AM

NOSTRA: great posts, thanks! Test patterns are always gonna show you the "cons" of the tvs, but thankfully, we don't watch test patterns all day Some of those things will never be noticed by the viewer under normal conditions.

tn001d: sorry, can't help you. I haven't even seen a 40 anywhere yet.

sucha: congrats on the very FAST delivery of your replacement tv. I too wanted to move up to the 60", but I don't have any confidence in Sony right now, so I wanted to give them as little $ as possible. The 500's I saw definitely looked better than the EX710's, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it - and hopefully for a much longer time.

Fools like me are getting the run-around from Sony. Took them 2 days to even confirm to me that they received my paperwork. That was on the 20th. As of today, not only do I NOT have my tv, but Sony STILL has not even processed my order yet and told me that they have no idea when it will be processed.
post #199 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Nostra - Outstanding posts about your tv. That's the type of post that goes a long way in informing members. Glad you like your tv and keep up your posts!
post #200 of 1259 Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Sucha deal! Glad you went for the 60" screen. I don't think you will regret going for a larger rather than a smaller screen. That's what happened to me around 10 yrs ago with my first HiDef TV. I settled for a 55" and within a week I knew I had made a mistake. In those days they didn't take tv's back, unless it was a defective, beyond repair unit.

I know you'll enjoy your 60EX500. Just about every published review I have seen has rated this model highly, just as well as most respected members that regularly post on AVS.

As for the Rangers, well...the most incredible season finally came to an end. Tell you the truth, in a way I was glad. After watching the Rangers eliminate the Yankees, the games against the Giants pitching were like torture.

I was able to get a ticket for last night's game. The Rangers fans showed their class. Many of us shook hands with a large group of Giant fans seated nearby and they showed their class by congratulating the Rangers for their victory over the universally hated Yankees. Also, while the Giants players celebrated their well deserved victory on the field, most of the fans down the fist base line where I was kept chanting in unison...THANK YOU RANGERS, THANK YOU RANGERS!!! THANK YOU RANGERS!!! Unlike the Yankee fans, there were no reports of hooliganism against the opposing fans and the players' families!
post #201 of 1259 Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Sony Exchange received my information on October 23 and I never heard from them so last week I called and they said everything is fine and my order should be processed within two weeks. This morning I got pissed off and wrote Scott at Sony; from the facebook sight, and he checked my case # and told me my order had shipped. It turns out that my TV should have been delivered yesterday but Sony didn't give the shippers my phone number and never told me that it had shipped. Should be delivered tomorrow between 11&3 finally. So if you are having trouble with Sony Exchange than contact Scott:http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have...V/182875766612
Looking forward to having a TV without a green screen!
post #202 of 1259 Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM

You guys that are allowing your new sets to "warm" up to the new environment before turning it on - is this recommended or just something that some of you; ahem...with all due respect overprotective folks are doing?

Nostra - your photos look great. Would you mind posting your settings so others can bask in such bliss?
post #203 of 1259 Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Excellent, no issue with overscan, it seems to be automatically shifting into pixel by pixel mapping mode when switching my connected, full 1920x1080 1080p mode, with no fiddling needed whatsoever (factory defaults).

I did (later) see a warning about the latest NVIDIA driver, and while it does have some limitations, not a problem for me.

And for the first time, from power on through finished booting, I can see the BIOS screens and such (55A2000 couldn't sync those modes), so no need for secondary VGA analog connection anymore, nice.

(replaced STR-DA5300ES)
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray
post #204 of 1259 Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rabbit View Post
Sony Exchange received my information on October 23 and I never heard from them so last week I called and they said everything is fine and my order should be processed within two weeks. This morning I got pissed off and wrote Scott at Sony; from the facebook sight, and he checked my case # and told me my order had shipped. It turns out that my TV should have been delivered yesterday but Sony didn't give the shippers my phone number ....
Same thing (almost) happened to me back on 10/27/2010, when Sony had also forgotten to give shipper my phone# as well! See my post here:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...4#post19399014

(replaced STR-DA5300ES)
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray
post #205 of 1259 Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Same thing (almost) happened to me back on 10/27/2010, when Sony had also forgotten to give shipper my phone# as well! See my post here:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...4#post19399014
They forgot to put my number on too. Thank god I called a couple days before with a question. The lady on the phone said it happens 70% of the time.
post #206 of 1259 Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM

For now anyway. These are what I'm currently using for my SD (Dish Network thru Panasonic DVR) signal. Only difference between this and HD OTA is I turned the black corrector and advanced contrast enhancer off, and set the sharpness to minimum. HD signal don't need all that. At any rate, my settings are probably way down from what most people have been posting up, but give em a try ... might surprise you. As with any such tweaks, if you don't like em at first, give it a day or so for your brain to adjust.

Picture Mode Custom
Backlight 1
Picture 80
Brightness 57
Color 49
Hue 0
Color Temperature Warm 2
Sharpness 2
Noise Reduction Off
Motionflow Standard
CineMotion Auto 1

Advanced Settings Menu
Black Corrector Medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Medium
Gamma -1
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Color Off

White Balance Menu
R-Gain -3
G-Gain -7
B-Gain -1
R-Bias -4
G-Bias -3
B-Bias -3

Ambient Sensor ON

Kinda going against popular opinion using some of the advanced features, but I find they work. For me anyway. Turning the ambient sensor on eliminated a lot of weird artifacts and washes in dark screens. Anyone who's seen Jacob's Ladder, the cut scenes when Jezzie is dancing with the devil were completely bozo. Uneven lighting, washed out, flashing - just trashed. Turned the ambient sensor on, and got good black.

I'm running some homebru bias lighting now. I've got a large ceiling lamp with a GE reader lamp (daylight spectrum) installed on a dimmer (cranked way down) behind the comfy couch. Also dug up an old Solarex desk lamp rated for 6500F, just like the pros recommend. Unfortunately, that was a bit bright and you can't put a dimmer on it. Did some more digging and came up with an old gooseneck lamp with a GE Reveal 40w bulb AND a dimmer. That's rated at 4500F or thereabouts. Aimed that towards the back of the set and only a couple inches away. Cranked that way down - no heat issues, and I get a good bounce effect and a gentle wash against the back wall all around the screen. Improves the blacks, and much better for my light sensitive polish baby blues. The ambient sensor also seems to like the setup. Without the lights, I do get some random weird flashing with quick brightness cuts. Might just have to look around some real bias lighting now that I know what it can do for me.

post #207 of 1259 Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the settings, I am going to try them out. I can't find the store/home setting that was a recommended change, how do I do that?
post #208 of 1259 Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM

That's only available in the initial setup. You'll have to reset the tv to factory fresh to make the change from STORE to HOME. If you're still in STORE mode, you'll lose any menu changes you've made if you lose power or do a full power down by flipping the switch on the side. I imagine that's surprised a few folk all ready ...

Press the UP ARROW on the remote and hold, at the same time press the POWER button, wait 2 seconds and Reset will appear at the lower left corner, let go of both buttons. Wait 30 seconds and a new setup will start.

You WILL lose any changes you've made to your personal user settings, including any internet stuff. Be just like when you first popped it out of the box, ok. Christmas all over again. Kewl!

post #209 of 1259 Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Nostra - May I ask which Scene Sensor are you using for those settings. I'm just curious because Ambient Light ON from what I saw on my tv only does a decent job on Cinema. I use General Scene and Ambient Sensor just seems to set everything too dark.

We do not watch many movies, but for regular tv the Advanced Contrast Enhancer was driving me nuts on it's lowest setting. I finally turned it off because I could see the picture contrast changing too often. It's possible the implementation on your new EX710
has been improved over my EX700. Other than that, your settings look very similar to mine.

Keep up your interesting and entertaining posts. They make this topic worth visiting (:
post #210 of 1259 Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Ladies and gents, for your edification and pleasure tonight, I will attempt to adjust my set while juggling three dogs standing on my head in a bucket of pistachio pudding ... ana one ana too ...

After grazing the forums, I IMMEDIATELY turned off the ambient sensor due to the multitude of posts vilifying it. Played around some, and as mentioned, had some weird stuff happening. Turned it on, and voila! I like it!

Now ... and this is a stretch ... I do believe but don't quote me, that the ambient sensor's performance is affected by ambient light.

Duh ... right? But bare with me here ... everyone's environment is different. I'd think that any reflective surfaces could mess with how the sensor reads the room. I've managed to minimize those over the years. I have one window directly behind the set, and bay window to the right, but that's recessed enough that I can control the light with blinds. The bias light I'm using doesn't seem to affect how the sensor operates either, so I wouldn't be too concerned with any steady light sources. The room is a neutral color (almond). Semi-gloss, which is frowned upon by the AV crowd (as in ... ARGH! HE DIN"T) but it's textured plaster so there's no reflection. The biggest reflective surface anywhere near the screen, interestingly enuf, is the set stand. Why they'd put a gloss surface right under the sensor is ... inexplicable. Mine has a towel over it right now. Not to improve the sensor, but to block the bias lighting from coming under the set. I'm almost done modding the cabinet that I'll be mounting the set into - the stand will be history when I get that done.

Be nice to have a bit more info on what exactly the engine does with the sensor input, and how it bounces off your other settings. Backlight, brightness ... all that would certainly affect the response, and I doubt they've programmed for all possible variations. Maybe I just got lucky.

Oh - and I keep it on General with my custom settings, except for sports. I've also turned the color down some on sports ... tuned to "honolulu blue" ...

GO LIONS!

The contrast enhancer is a recent development for me ... I'll probably be experimenting with that for a while. For now, I haven't noticed any real inconsistencies (which I imagine would tend to be more conspicuous with "live" or your average low budget sitcom than with quality movie material. Don't forget also, I'm running mostly SD ... but I haven't run into anything on HD that sends me running for the spew bucket with it on either.

And yes - it could be an improvement over the EX700 series. I understand they went with a whole new chipset on the B3 engine. Oughta be a law against doing that without at least calling it a B3v2 or somesuch. Not sure exactly when that happened - whether it was with the model change, or maybe slipstreamed into the EX700 later in the production run. I also wouldn't be surprised if they cooked some changes into the firmware and forgot to mention it.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page