Official Sony KDL-EX710 LCD-LED TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1259 Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that Sony Style now has in stock and is selling the EX710 in sizes 32, 40, 46 & 55 inches. Still waiting for the 60" announcement. I would like to see any reviews on these new sets, especially comparing them to the discontinued EX700 series. My understanding is that they might have changed panels and/or panel manufacturers.

Other differences between this and the EX700 series are that they have reduced the size of the outside bezel (making the total outside dimensions smaller), the units weigh less, and the power consumption is lower for a given size. I'm actually interested in the 60" version, and even though that panel might be different PQ than the others, I still hope reviews on the smaller sizes will indicate a trend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1259 Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Sony is supposedly shipping the EX710s. Anybody have one and willing to write a review?
post #3 of 1259 Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 PM

Liked: 11
Part of the infamous "optical block" fiasco. Pretty good price considering my KDF-E42A10 was over five years old. Certainly better than having to eat the whole price of a replacement set.

I was scanning the forum looking for tweaks - probably a little early for that? Wasn't aware this model was a new release. Figured it was an older series they were clearing out of the warehouse to try and appease the hoards of angry BLUE CLOUD sufferers ... Just makes a good deal a better deal, eh. As far as tweaks go, I did all the goodies on my 3LCD and ended up with a whole nuther box - the grey scale and red push changes were killer.

* I was gonna take you to task on the thread title - LCD-LED? Never heard of such a thing! Then I read the small print off the Sony site - that part slipped right by me. They had so many other bells 'n whistles that hadn't even been thought of when my old set was built. OOps ... my bad. Apparently there IS such a thing. I was so happy with my 3LCD till it went south that I wasn't keeping current on the tech.

Then again, there's no longer any such thing as 3LCD, is there?

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #4 of 1259 Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM

I am getting my 55ex710 within the next week or two. It is a replacment for my sxrd 50xbr1 under the sony replacement plan. I guess with only 3 posts here, there are no preferred setting yet?
post #5 of 1259 Old 10-09-2010, 12:32 AM

PC Richards has some of the 710's on their website. I have a friend who works there, gonna stop by....hopefully they are on display. Don't expect an expert review though, I have seen some nice TV's in the stores only to find they aren't that great based on multiple reviews.
post #6 of 1259 Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 PM

The only reviews I've seen to date seem to imply that the "edge led" backlighting used in EX700-710 series tends to fade some towards the center and leaves something to be desired if you're looking for that perfect picture.

Haven't seen any real reviews yet, so take that with a pound of salt I suppose. I expect a true 100% LED screen would have a more consistent response across the pixels, but ... a lot of that would depend on overall lighting conditions, viewing angle, black levels, etc, ad nauseum. I'd think that might be a GOOD thing ... your attention will normally be pulled to the center of the screen anyway, and the larger screens could benefit by a bit more highlighting towards the edges, right?

(You can all say you saw it hear first when Sony adds an "enhance edges" selection to the menu. )

In any case, I'm fairly positive I'll see a major improvement what I'm looking at now. Does make me wonder if I should have settled for the 40" free tv they offered. That didn't have the edge lighting listed in the specs. Then again, there were a LOT of features that one didn't list that are in the EX series (most importantly, the MotionFlow high(er) refresh rate), and I'd hate to go smaller. Given my choices ... well, keeping my fingers crossed.

* Haven't heard back from Sony yet, but I just mailed the "evidence" in last Monday. I suppose I should give them a jingle sometime this week if they don't get back to me soon.

post #7 of 1259 Old 10-10-2010, 06:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSTRADIMWIT View Post

The only reviews I've seen to date seem to imply that the "edge led" backlighting used in EX700-710 series tends to fade some towards the center and leaves something to be desired if you're looking for that perfect picture.

Haven't seen any real reviews yet, so take that with a pound of salt I suppose. I expect a true 100% LED screen would have a more consistent response across the pixels, but ... a lot of that would depend on overall lighting conditions, viewing angle, black levels, etc, ad nauseum. I'd think that might be a GOOD thing ... your attention will normally be pulled to the center of the screen anyway, and the larger screens could benefit by a bit more highlighting towards the edges, right?

(You can all say you saw it hear first when Sony adds an "enhance edges" selection to the menu. )

In any case, I'm fairly positive I'll see a major improvement what I'm looking at now. Does make me wonder if I should have settled for the 40" free tv they offered. That didn't have the edge lighting listed in the specs. Then again, there were a LOT of features that one didn't list that are in the EX series (most importantly, the MotionFlow high(er) refresh rate), and I'd hate to go smaller. Given my choices ... well, keeping my fingers crossed.

* Haven't heard back from Sony yet, but I just mailed the "evidence" in last Monday. I suppose I should give them a jingle sometime this week if they don't get back to me soon.

You realize the EX700/710 is an entry level Edge LED right? Not sure what you are expecting.
post #8 of 1259 Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

You realize the EX700/710 is an entry level Edge LED right? Not sure what you are expecting.

I don't think we are expecting anything. Just trying to get reviews and preferred settings if anyone has them. This is the TV sony is mostly offering for the SXRD replacement.
post #9 of 1259 Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM

I expect I expect to get the best dang tv I can get for my $325 ...

That said.

The whole concept of edge lighting seems to be something of a stopgap measure at best. Not saying it ain't kewl and all, but I understand it's just a step along the road to the next gen LED screens. Even Samsung admits when cornered that the concept is basically flawed, in that there's no localized dimming available for additional impact and enhanced black levels. Go back a generation, and those capabilities are there. The older panels could light, kill, or dim even, individual LEDs throughout the backlight panel as needed.

So ... this is progress?

Another common complaint I see is they've gone with a high gloss screen to enhance contrast. Tradeoff, as one would expect, is more reflection issues. I personally don't see that as a problem - I keep the room dim anyways. I'll also have a much wider point of view to work with than the current projection screen offers, so I should be able to tweak the angles a bit as needed to eliminate any hot spots.

Certainly not a deal killer for me ... especially at the price, but if I had to purchase a new unit at full retail, I'd certainly have to do some fairly serious coin-flipping before deciding.

I figure at worst, this one might last me till they perfect those full immersion nano-implants we've all been waiting on ...

post #10 of 1259 Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Found this on CNET. Interesting read ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10208593-1.html

Food for thought ... the big selling point of "edge led" tech is screen thickness. The last gen backlighting schemes couldn't do less than 3" front to back on the cabinet. The New! Improved? edge leds are supposed to be good down to 1".

Which begs the question ... why is the Sony version EX710 series listed at 3" ???

post #11 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found this on CNET. Interesting read ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10208593-1.html

Food for thought ... the big selling point of "edge led" tech is screen thickness. The last gen backlighting schemes couldn't do less than 3" front to back on the cabinet. The New! Improved? edge leds are supposed to be good down to 1".

Which begs the question ... why is the Sony version EX710 series listed at 3" ???

That 3" is on the bottom, behind the bezel and it's only about 1 1/2" height. The rest of the Tv is so thin you can't hardly measure (:. Of course, I am referring to my 60EX700 which should be pretty close the newer EX710.

I got my Tv as a replacement for the original XBR1 that had bad optical blocks. So far this Tv for our purpose has filled the need in every way. Just remember, no such thing as a perfect Tv, no matter what brand or price.
post #12 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Thanx for that ... just to confuze the issue (as if it wasn't confusing enough as is) rumour has it the short lived EX700 have been a better screen overall, but Sharp couldn't supply enough panels to keep Sony happy, so they "improved" to the 710 series which sports a Samsung panel.

Gotta love those rumour mills ... I also saw where Sharp had some quality control issues, and also where Samsung just gave Sony a better price point. That'd make sense, as Sony probably figures they need to allow max profit per unit so they can afford to provide replacements when THESE blow up ...

I did find a side view of the 710 ...

One of the advantages of the panel switch is they were able to use a narrrower bezel which did reduce the cabinet size by an inch or so, both length and width. As you say, the top of the panel is only about an inch thick, but it does stay wide most of the way up - I expect that's a compromise to keep cost down on the power supply and circuit boards. Power consumption is up a bit, which one would expect with the larger components. I'd also think better heat dissipation, but then again, there'd probably be more heat to dissipate ...

Also worth mentioning ... looks like the only models Sony offers with local dimming on the backlight are in the HX and NX series. Once again, they're inconsistent there with some of their shiny new 3D models having it, and some not, with no obvious regard to suggested retail. Argh! Either way, some further poking about on the internet, and Samsung now assures us that they've addressed the dimming at the center of their current standard(?) edge-lit led backlite.

I'm thinking this would be what the ancient Chinese would have called "interesting times" re: video tech.

post #13 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanx for that ... just to confuze the issue (as if it wasn't confusing enough as is) rumour has it the short lived EX700 have been a better screen overall, but Sharp couldn't supply enough panels to keep Sony happy, so they "improved" to the 710 series which sports a Samsung panel.

<<Gotta love those rumour mills ... I also saw where Sharp had some quality control issues, and also where Samsung just gave Sony a better price point. That'd make sense, as Sony probably figures they need to allow max profit per unit so they can afford to provide replacements when THESE blow up ... >>>

Reading the British review of their 40EX703 (similar to our EX700) should help you understand some things about the panels. Note that the SPVA panel is manufactured at the JOINT Samsung/Sony factory:

The KDL40EX703 is also the first Sony-branded HDTV we’ve reviewed that uses a Sharp UV2A panel, rather than the Super PVA type which Sony has been manufacturing with Samsung for half a decade now. It’ll be interesting to see if Sony’s new business partners can meet or exceed the generally high quality images that are characteristic of SPVA panels, while at the same time, keeping the chassis slim. Let’s see how the Sony KDL40EX703 stacks up!

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100724786.htm

<<>>

Obviously, neither of us know a thing about Tv engineering. I don't know where in hell you get all those theories.
Let's try to stay with known facts, ok?

Best,
Hugh
post #14 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Well, obviously I know next to nothing about tv engineering ... that should be crystal clear in my prior choice of a 3LCD. What I do know, in my own little mind, is that it showed me the best picture available at the time, and that was 720P max side by side with the top of the line 1080P big rigs. As always, a lot of it is all about personal perception in the long run. I do remember seeing some fairly poor reviews and commentary on the tech at the time, and as usual, worried, pondered, evaluated ... and then went my own way.

Thanx for the link - here's a notable quote that I've committed to memory:

Quote:

Unlike Samsung (and now LG), Sony do not advertise explicit control over the Deblur and Dejudder parameters of the Motionflow system. What does that mean in practice? Normally, this means that if users want to reap the benefits of the higher motion clarity given by the system, they have to tolerate some degree of motion interpolation during films, which makes them look very tacky and video-like. Fortunately, closer testing reveals that this functionality actually is present here, meaning that the Sony KDL40EX703 can be configured in a way which preserves the filmic motion of movies and avoids the soap opera effect. Setting [Film Mode] to Auto1″ allows our Sony KDL40EX703 sample to interpolate motion to its heart's content, giving films the unnatural video feel. Auto2″ on the other hand protects against this, and using the Auto2″ [Film Mode] alongside the Motionflow system means that users can see films as intended, and with clear motion. We tested this with all three dominant input signal types: 24p, as well as 50hz and 60hz sources, and confirmed that with this configuration, all retained their filmic look. Excellent!

Good to know. I'd think there's a lot more options hidden away in the super secret service menus. That can be sort of like russian roulette if you don't know the super secrets of how NOT to blow the thing up, which I suppose has something to do with why they hide them in the first place. I do think that the standard options for picture adjustment are lacking, but that's true for any set. Both LCDs I've got benefited enormously from grayscale and red push tweaks.

Also worth noting tho ... the British 703 series you linked comes with a Sharp panel, and everything I've seen on the 710s available stateside says Samsung. Apples and oranges again. Drat. Any volunteers who have one handy willing to tear theirs down and settle the question? AssUming of course, anybody's got one, there's any continuity across the different screen sizes, and there's any way for the amateur sleuth to decode the part numbers once you gut the thing ... I do think it'd be a major hyuk if two "identical" units got ripped open and found to have little or no similarity under the covers. Not unheard of with early production runs.

post #15 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Just got off the phone with Sony in Florida.

Good news is they've received my documentation and approved the replacement. Should be about a week before I see the new set.

Bad news is they haven't a clue either whether it's a Sharp or Samsung display ... not surprising, as I expect they're just a phone mill processing claims.

... and no, I'm not volunteering to tear mine apart when I get it to find out ...

post #16 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Reports from IF Calibrators on AVS indicate that there is nothing any longer to be gained from the service menu. Those days are long gone!

It has been long reported by news organizations that what you called "rumor" in indeed a fact as to why Sharp is no longer providing panels to Sony. If you are interested, I provided a list of Sharp panel sizes utilized in the EX700. It's in the EX700 topic.

BTW - I agree with you about the stelar pq of the old 3LCD Sony. I got my 60" XBR1 fixed...again, and retired it to the master bedroom for occasional use.
post #17 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM

So if I understand right...The 46EX700 is better then the 46EX710..How does the 46NX700 compare to both of them??The shop by my house has all three..I have a LG 47SL80 they are swapping out..I can get a LG 47LD650 free of charge or pay more for the Sony's..Just wondering what your thoughts are..Thanks for your help..
post #18 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreeneyezz View Post

So if I understand right...The 46EX700 is better then the 46EX710..How does the 46NX700 compare to both of them??The shop by my house has all three..I have a LG 47SL80 they are swapping out..I can get a LG 47LD650 free of charge or pay more for the Sony's..Just wondering what your thoughts are..Thanks for your help..

I don't know why you understand that the EX700 is better than the EX710.

We haven't even seen the EX710!
post #19 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM

I was going off one of your reply's that said it may have a better panel...
post #20 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going off one of your reply's that said it may have a better panel...

Perhaps you misconstrued my reply. I think it was all about the Sharp panel. Yes, it bested the SPVA panel, but just barely. Anyway, panel is one of the many equations that go into the making of a quality Tv.

My gut feeling is that as usual, the new EX710 will best or equal the EX700 and maybe will trail in some other things. We'll have to wait for professional tests.
post #21 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 PM

I did misunderstand you...And thank you for clearing that up for me hughh...With my first post...What would you do??
post #22 of 1259 Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did misunderstand you...And thank you for clearing that up for me hughh...With my first post...What would you do??

I haven't seen the NX in person. Each person has it's own priorities. Many will chose picture quality above else. Others will go for price or extra stuff such as internet. In my case, if I see a Tv reflecting like a mirror, I don't even bother to take a second look. That's because of our viewing environment. To each it's own.

Make sure you purchase a Tv where you have a good return policy. The best I know is Costco. They give you 90 days and if you don't like it, take it back and no questions asked!
post #23 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

...I see is they've gone with a high gloss screen to enhance contrast. Tradeoff, as one would expect, is more reflection issues...

...Power consumption is up a bit, which one would expect with the larger components...

...Gotta love those rumour mills...

Ironically, it appears that you are helping create these rumors. As I stated in the very first post, the only differences I see in the Sony specs are the 710 series is lighter, smaller and is MORE energy efficient. Where did you hear it had a gloss screen and was less power efficient? The specs prove otherwise.

I'm still waiting for the first impressions on the 710. If someone can comment who has seen it, and possibly compare it with the same size 700, we can get some opinions based on facts, instead of conjecture.

When you get your 46EX710 please post your thoughts and let us know if you think it was worth the $325
post #24 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Way I read it ... (having seen none of the above) ...

Looks like they all spec out about the same, with the NX series being more or less the EX in a prettier package. NX also has WiFi, where EX needs an addon WiFi adapter. The EX710 is a slipstream version of the EX700 with the major difference being a Samsung screen instead of the Sharp unit that was in the EX700. Not sure what they used in the NX.

Only complaint I've seen about the NX is the tilting base supplied with the set tends to wobble some. Maybe see if you can get them to throw in the fancy upgrade base if you do decide to go that way?

Oh. I did see it mentioned that the NX speakers sound tinny. Then again, they all do. Can't imagine life without full surround 7.1 myself anyways.

Only reason I got into this whole thing is my prior set was one of the infamous Sony "cloudy blobbers". The 46EX710 is what they're offering as a replacement right now, so I'm sort of a captive audience. I suppose the good news is they're offering new production instead of warehouse clutter - the bad news is these things are so new they apparently haven't much of a track record.

If you don't mind waiting a week or so, I'll post up a review of mine when it comes in. Then again, most anything would be a VAST improvement over what I'm watching now, so an objective review may be a stretch. What with all the blue blobs and yellow clouds (and yes, even yellow blobs and blue clouds, oh my) on my ailing 3LCD, watching the tube lately has been quite the experience - not. On the brite side, I have been catching up on my reading.

Ah. I did find this rather in depth article on the NX that might be worth a read:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1270795540

post #25 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Way I read it ... (having seen none of the above) ...

Looks like they all spec out about the same, with the NX series being more or less the EX in a prettier package. NX also has WiFi, where EX needs an addon WiFi adapter. The EX710 is a slipstream version of the EX700 with the major difference being a Samsung screen instead of the Sharp unit that was in the EX700. Not sure what they used in the NX.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

I do look forward to your review, though!
post #26 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimperley View Post

Guys,

I got a new 46" as a replacement for my XBR2. The corners (3-4 inches out) are all brighter in dark and light scenes. I'm pretty disappointed to say the least. I checked out an EX700 (I thought the picture would be pretty similar) at a local store and it had minimal bleeding of light from the LEDs and I was able to live with that but the 710 I received last week is horrible. I don't care how much you turn down the backight either, it's just ridiculous. I've sent another e-mail to Sony about it. I'm sure they are getting as tired of me as I am with them. Is it too much to ask for a TV that you can just watch and enjoy?

Here is a quote from the EX700 thread. First impression is not good. Could the 710s have more bright-spots than the 700s? Please post your comments if you see this TV.
post #27 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 AM

Specs can be almost as misleading as rumours ...

Power Consumption - I assUme you're going with the "Estimated Annual Energy Consumption figures Sony lists. Granted, the 710 wins based on that estimate, BUT, that also factors in that the "presence sensor" is shutting the screen down every time you walk out of the room. Here's a link citing the higher power consumption when it's actually running.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1279884508

I plan to find that feature wholeheartedly annoying right quick and disable it as soon as I find the remote. At that time, it'd be interesting to see what happens to total watts out. I suppose in the interest of fair play, I SHOULD probably give it a chance to see what sort of delay we're talking, or how sensitive the sensor is, or if I can adjust it to suit. It could seriously impact my ability to do my gourmet thing in the kitchen while watching the news in the other room, and I expect a serious impact with a half cooked porkchop when the thing shuts off just when they're announcing the lottery numbers wouldn't do the set much good.

Now ... is FlatPanelShd.Com spreading rumour or fact? Dunno - they don't say where they got their stuff either ...

Glossy panels - dang ... where'd that link go? Somebody call Microsoft and tell them they need to add a SAVE SEARCH feature to favorites. I do remember seeing a web report that specifically stated the EX710 had a glossy panel. I did find the following at CNET Asia:

Quote:

For the record, we did not pick up any telltale signs of lackluster blacks from the 2009 LED TVs during a Samsung demonstration to the media. This could be attributed to their glossy screens which enhance contrast, though at the expense of visible reflections.

I suppose you could take that as a positive maybe that the units supplied to Sony are high gloss also. Check the pics at FlatPanelShd.Com ... certainly not a matte by any stretch of the imagination. Once again, I don't expect that to be an issue for me, but well worth considering if you have a lot of shiny stuff or light sources in the viewing area. My screen will be recessed in a cabinet with a black matte interior anyway ... my experience is, that helps tremendously to reduce any ambient light issues.

post #28 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Whether the screen is a matte or gloss finish should be an important consideration to most people. If you do not have to worry about reflections, perhaps a glossy screen would be better suited for you. The Sony EX series usually has the matte screens, regardless of what a marketing graphic looks like. I would be very surprised if they changed this. But I guess one never knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

The 700 and 710 are supposedly the exact same the 700 being more energy efficient.

I do apologize for claiming that you started the rumor about the increased power consumption of the 710s. I also have seen others mention it, including your source from Flatpanels. But I do blame you for continuing it. The well-respected author of the article, Rasmus Larsen, from the Denmark based web site states that when you compare the technical specifications the energy consumption is higher on EX710. Well, if you now look at the technical specs on Sony's site, it actually shows that the larger 55ex710 is more energy efficient than the smaller 52ex700! The 46 version that you are getting is more energy efficient than the 700 series with the same size screen. Perhaps Mr. Larsen was mistaken, or perhaps the specs actually changed (he wrote the article almost 3 months ago), but it is up to us to check the facts so we have accurate information.

BTW, both the 700 series & 710 series have the auto-shutoff feature. Please, look at the specifications on Sony's SonyStyle site.
post #29 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

<<>>

No problems. The menu allows for a variety of times as well as OFF. I have our EX700 set at 25 min. My wife usually sits reading e-books on her iPad with the Tv on CNN news during the day. After a while the video shuts off, however the audio continues. After a while the whole Tv will shut off, but by that time my wife has got up from her chair to get coffee, bathroom call, etc.

BTW - MY 2010 EX700, some models depending on size got Sharp others got SPVA. The 60EX500 was the only model shod with Sharp panels in that line, also several higher models got Sharp panels as well.

Flatpanels is based in Denmark, so I presume they got their info on the EX710 from Sony Europe.
post #30 of 1259 Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 AM

I visited a BestBuy a few days ago to see the ex710 in person as I was offered the ex710 as a replacement for my TV with an optical block problem. The screen sure looked as though it had a Matte finish to me. Don't know if BestBuy still had the ex700 hanging and slapped a ex710 label on it, however...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page