Need help to decide if Sony Exchange offer is good - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony KDL-46W3000 HDTV which is 2.5 years old and out of warranty. Last week, it has developed a green vertical band at the center. Sony authorized service center representative had a look and said that the LCD panel needs to be replaced (total cost in excess of $1600).

Spoke to Sony Customer Relations (Sony Exchange) and since I am out of warranty, the best offer they gave me was:

KDL46EX710 $975.00 + local sales tax
KDL52NX800 $1,475.00 + local sales tax

I need some help from my knowledgeable peers in deciding if these offers are good or if there are other equivalent HDTVs (not necessarily Sony) with similar features and better prices that I can go for. I have only a week to decide and I do not want to spend too much money.

I researched that KDL46EX710 has just come out (hence no reviews yet) as the 700 series has been discontinued, but there are technically no differences between the two.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAdviceOnHDTV View Post

I have a Sony KDL-46W3000 HDTV which is 2.5 years old and out of warranty. Last week, it has developed a green vertical band at the center. Sony authorized service center representative had a look and said that the LCD panel needs to be replaced (total cost in excess of $1600).

Spoke to Sony Customer Relations (Sony Exchange) and since I am out of warranty, the best offer they gave me was:

I need some help from my knowledgeable peers in deciding if these offers are good or if there are other equivalent HDTVs (not necessarily Sony) with similar features and better prices that I can go for. I have only a week to decide and I do not want to spend too much money.

I researched that KDL46EX710 has just come out (hence no reviews yet) as the 700 series has been discontinued, but there are technically no differences between the two.

I have a sony kbr 60" lcd projection that i paid $3,500 for 4 years ago. Within the first year I had to replace the bulb and other maintenance at a cost of $550. Recently I have experienced a green hue to the picture that cant be corrected no matter what settings are changed and had the tech on the phone trying different trouble shootings fixes. They sent me an offer that im pasting below.

Thank you for contacting the Sony Exchange Dept.,

As discussed, we provided you an offer to replace your television.

KDL55EX710 $425.00
KDL46EX710 No Charge

If you decide to accept the offer, please contact Sony at 888-993-7669 within 1 week.

Upon your acceptance of the offer, you will need to confirm your ship to address by phone and provide a credit card number. Please review your address as this will be the delivery location.

If my TV is over 4 years old and they gave me this offer you should demand a better one than your getting. if the offer expires just call back and ask for another offer and demand a better deal.

as much as I like my 60" im taking the 46" for free.
Dont know if I have to give back my TV in exchange. If I do than Im asking for a bigger and better model since I have $4,000 invested already.
If they want to keep me as a customer of there products for over 30 years they better show their appreciation by standing by their loyal customers.

good luck and let me know what happens. I will do the same.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The difference with your situation and the OP is that the SXRD was part of a Class Action Lawsuit settlement which does not cover his panel or any other models and unlikely he can claim what has been offered SXRD owners. Were it not for that Lawsuit Sony would not owe you anything and the argument that you spent $4K still doesn't extend your warranty as I paid $6500 for my Sharp 4 years ago and were it to die they wouldn't owe me anything and I also owned your SXRD at $3800 and the only reason for your offers was the Lawsuit settlement and it's a great deal and amortizing your viewing for 3-4 years already and your offered a panel at $475 is very cheap considering the market drop in pricing has been dramatic as Mits 65" RPTV's are now selling for under $1K often. With $475 you get a fresh start all because of the class action law suit many have taken advantage of on this forum, yet that settlement is not available to the rest of us here.

To determine if that is a good deal for you simply scan all related models offered on EBay or other B&M's to see if it's a deal or not but they actually don't owe you anything since your WARRANTY expired and is not part of any lawsuit settlement that I've ever observed on this forum and I don't recall any history of your problem - and so if there's no extended warranty you gambled and lost without the insurance but it appears they're offering you about a $400 discount on the NX800 versus one on Amazon and is WIFI, BE3 with 240Hz and should have much better black levels than your current Sony and you'd be surprised at how much more immersion that 6" can provide with a 52" versus a 46" if your going new go larger if you can.

Be Happy and Grateful and enjoy!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The bottom line is that a bad offer is better than nothing. Since Sony doesn't have to make any offer to you, my advice would be to accept it or buy another brand and get nothing. In this case, a partial bird in the hand is better than nothing in the bush.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikruiser View Post

I have a sony kbr 60" lcd projection that i paid $3,500 for 4 years ago. Within the first year I had to replace the bulb and other maintenance at a cost of $550. Recently I have experienced a green hue to the picture that cant be corrected no matter what settings are changed and had the tech on the phone trying different trouble shootings fixes. They sent me an offer that im pasting below.

Thank you for contacting the Sony Exchange Dept.,

As discussed, we provided you an offer to replace your television.

KDL55EX710 $425.00
KDL46EX710 No Charge

If you decide to accept the offer, please contact Sony at 888-993-7669 within 1 week.

Upon your acceptance of the offer, you will need to confirm your ship to address by phone and provide a credit card number. Please review your address as this will be the delivery location.

If my TV is over 4 years old and they gave me this offer you should demand a better one than your getting. if the offer expires just call back and ask for another offer and demand a better deal.

as much as I like my 60" im taking the 46" for free.
Dont know if I have to give back my TV in exchange. If I do than Im asking for a bigger and better model since I have $4,000 invested already.
If they want to keep me as a customer of there products for over 30 years they better show their appreciation by standing by their loyal customers.

good luck and let me know what happens. I will do the same.

The biggest regret people have is not buying the largest panel they can afford and that fits their viewing room. FWIW, I would have gone with the 55. A 55 inch panel has 43% more screen area than a 46 inch panels and the impact of the 55 would (IMHO) be well worth the $425.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

If you can afford it, you might want to go with the 52NX800.

I would think about what you would do if you refuse these offers and have to pay for a replacement with your own money. If you think you'd be happy with a 46 inch panel, then the 46EX710 is a good decision.

If you think you would really like to go bigger and get a 52 (not to mention a 55), then the offer on the 52NX800 makes sense.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

The bottom line is that a bad offer is better than nothing. Since Sony doesn't have to make any offer to you, my advice would be to accept it or buy another brand and get nothing. In this case, a partial bird in the hand is better than nothing in the bush.

x2 and there's people that say that Sony has bad customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

The difference with your situation and the OP is that the SXRD was part of a Class Action Lawsuit settlement which does not cover his panel or any other models and unlikely he can claim what has been offered SXRD owners.

Though this is true, the second poster said he had an LCD projection, not an SXRD. However the LCD models were subject to lawsuits and a service campaign as well.

The OPs set is also covered by a service campaign though, found here (Canadian version but the US version will be similar):
http://www.sony.ca/view/612.htm

So there may have been lawsuits or at least a lot of people with the same problem on the 52W3000, hence why the OP got "offered".

Quote:

You can pretty much get any TV from Sony provided they have it is stock, and the discount will be continuous based on size (at least that's the way it seems from the SXRD offers). I.e. Whatever discount you see on the 46", from the price they are selling it, is typically the same dollar-amount discount you'll get on a more expensive set if you ask for that. Same goes with the 52". Note that these discounts are fixed, you can't really negotiate them. The other guy that talked about his LCD has a different case--they decide the discounts on offers based on things like original selling price of the sets, degree/frequency of the problem, decisions in lawsuits etc. Essentially you take what they give you, which IMO definitely better than them telling you to take a hike and buy a new set like some manufacturers might do.

I would assume the 46" would be out given you had a 52" before? The NX800 is a good set but the only thing I would mention there is that the new 2011 NX810 is significantly better. It looks pretty much the same but adds features like edgelit local dimming (not as good as backlit local dimming but still local dimming), as well as the Opticontrast panel, and 3D to boot.

Quote:

Yeah the EX710 is just slimmer than before, that's pretty much it. The NX800 to NX810 though, as mentioned, nets a few more very worthwhile features. You might want to ask them what they would want for a 52NX810 and weigh that against the price of the 52NX800 and decide from there.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you don't have a problem with CCFL I would see if Sony would negotiate on an EX500. You might be able to get a larger display with less out of pocket. Why both technologies have their strengths and weaknesses you can make a good argument that the picture quality on EX500 is just as good as the 700. Why not try to eek out a few more inches of display size for possibly less money?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page