How does Vizio "really" compare to Samsung or Sony - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 131 Old 09-16-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a secondary tv that won't get too much use. I saw the Vizio's at Sam's and they looked pretty good at a glance, but how do they actually compare picture wise to Samsung or Sony LED's?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 09-22-2010, 01:52 PM

My 47" Vizio died yesterday after about 4 years, the Costco TV guy says they have a 40% return rate on Vizio.
post #3 of 131 Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There have been failure rate numbers posted in this forum I beleive from CR(?) and Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG and Vizio are all within 3% of each other if I remember correctly.
post #4 of 131 Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Reviews of Vizio's new LED local dimming LCDs have been pretty good. If I was going to buy one of those, I would go with Vizio.

Ted
post #5 of 131 Old 09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have always loved Samsungs but the more I read about newer LED Vizios the more I think my next TV will be a Vizio.
post #6 of 131 Old 09-22-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Vizio is great until it breaks. Good luck finding parts, you can't buy from Vizio.
post #7 of 131 Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have yet to read anything in this forum of Vizio owner that could not have their display fixed due to lack of parts...the same cannot be said for a few other manufactures.
post #8 of 131 Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post

I am looking for a secondary tv that won't get too much use. I saw the Vizio's at Sam's and they looked pretty good at a glance, but how do they actually compare picture wise to Samsung or Sony LED's?

Before I purchased both of my 55" Vizio's I did much comparison to LG, Samsung and Sony to name a few, and I did not feel, and still dont feel any of them are better than the Vizio's,,, matter of fact I personaly think my new'est 55" LED/LCD Vizio puts out a better picture than all the others mentioned,,, and at a lot less cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsiniard View Post

My 47" Vizio died yesterday after about 4 years, the Costco TV guy says they have a 40% return rate on Vizio.

Yea,, Vizio's made 4 years ago were not that great,,, but a few years ago Vizio stepped up their game and started putting out some really nice very dependable products.

I have had zero problems with my Vizio TV's and my Vizio soundbars,, all have worked perfectly and better than I expected.

As far as the "Costco TV guy" saying they get 40% retrun rate on Vizio's, Im sorry but I have to call BS on that one.

First off,,, "IF" Costco was getting 40% of the Vizio's they sell "back", they would not be selling Vizio's,,,,, NO bussiness in their right mind would continue to sell a product with such a high return rate.

Also, I am pretty good friends with some folks that work at Costco and Sams Club and I have asked them about that very subject,,,, they told me "employees from BOTH stores" that the Vizio's are the least returned of any of the brands they sell.

I also have many friends that own Vizio's (after seeing mine, and on my recomendations to buy one) and not ONE of them has had any problems at all with their Vizio's !!!!!

The Costco TV guy is 100% totaly full of crap, if he in fact did tell you that !!!!!!

Cheers
Davyo
post #9 of 131 Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Although I still can't convince myself to buy a Vizio, I will admit they have come a really long way in the past four years. I was at Sam's Club yesterday and the Vizios were holding their own against most of the others. I was also somewhat impressed with some of the Philips TVs on display (also something I never though I'd say). I don't know if it was the store feeds that were making them look good or if some of the secondary manufacturers are getting their act together.
post #10 of 131 Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
CNET rates the Vizio XVT553SV as one of their top 5 TVs.
post #11 of 131 Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

CNET rates the Vizio XVT553SV as one of their top 5 TVs.

In fact they rate it number one for LED tvs. My beloved LG 55LE8500 fell to number two after the Vizio review.
post #12 of 131 Old 09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuNan View Post

In fact they rate it number one for LED tvs. My beloved LG 55LE8500 fell to number two after the Vizio review.

Keep in mind they still haven't tested the LG LX9500 or Sony NX810, but the Vizo with it's matte screen is a great set, especially in viewing environments with a light of natural light.
post #13 of 131 Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have always been a Sony guy. Then about four years ago I wanted a flat panel for the bedroom. Took a chance on a 32" Vizio for $700 over the comparable Sony at $1200 at Costco and it's been working fine ever since.

I just purchased the XVT553SV last month and am absolutely loving it. I was about to bite on the LG Infinia 55" 8500, but am very happy that I didn't. The Infinia is a very nice set, but needs a dark room to work it's magic due to the highly reflective screen.

I also have a friend with a 551 and another with a 552 that are very happy.
post #14 of 131 Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmm...

Sounds like Vizio just might be the new Samsung...

Samsung started out much the same way...

Now anyone know when their new 2010 72" LED is going to be released?

There is not much of 2010 left!

LOL

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
post #15 of 131 Old 09-26-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
The real question is Vizio quality coming up to Samsung and Sony levels or are Samsung and Sony coming down to Vizio levels? I have a feeling its in the middle somewhere.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #16 of 131 Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems that parts quality these days have improved substantially and is (quality) at the point where component failures are not that common any more. Level of integration has improved as well. The whole TV's these days are made out of only two modules: power supply with LED supply source / control, and AV processor / tuner board with integrated T-CON section. This brings major reliability improvements and reduces signal degradations. It also removes contacts' oxidation problems… and reduces cost and time to assemble the units. I think next year or 2 will see all major manufacturers trying to achieve the same, present level of quality (and nothing more) with as fewer / cheaper components as possible to improve profitability. Perfect time for “outsiders” (like Vizio) to catch-up and cash-in. The real quantum leap is yet to come with AMOLED technology. 3D technology is out there just to keep us consumers occupied (dare I say fooled?) thinking they (manufacturers) are giving us something worth while… but in reality it means almost no investment in R&D + extra revenue from those insanely expensive 3D glasses and vastly overpriced 3D TV’s. At this stage we (consumers) are at huge loss, unfortunately…. unless you go for cheap, “standard” and very good Vizio’s and alike that utilise proven technology.

Boky
post #17 of 131 Old 09-27-2010, 04:11 AM

As far as I know, Vizio still uses IPS panels, which produce much lighter blacks than the VA panels used by Samsung and Sony. If all your TV watching is done a bright room, then a Vizio will probably produce acceptable PQ. If you watch TV in a darkened room, forget it.
post #18 of 131 Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post

As far as I know, Vizio still uses IPS panels, which produce much lighter blacks than the VA panels used by Samsung and Sony. If all your TV watching is done a bright room, then a Vizio will probably produce acceptable PQ. If you watch TV in a darkened room, forget it.

How do you explain the great black levels of the XVTxx3 series then?

Statement is too general.
post #19 of 131 Old 09-27-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

The real question is Vizio quality coming up to Samsung and Sony levels or are Samsung and Sony coming down to Vizio levels? I have a feeling its in the middle somewhere.

The thing is that these days most manufacturers are not making the entire TV themselves. They are all buying components from others makers to integrate into their sets and that includes panels.

It's difficult to do, but you really have to ignore the label these days and concentrate on reviews, both professional and by owner's in order to get good feedback.

It used to be that if you wanted the best, you bought a Sony Trinitron. No longer the case.
post #20 of 131 Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

How do you explain the great black levels of the XVTxx3 series then?

Statement is too general.

The local dimming feature of the XVTxx3 series makes the IPS black level a mute point. Try turning it off and just dimming the backlight. The screen can hold a candle to my 52B750 Samsung.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #21 of 131 Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The local dimming feature of the XVTxx3 series makes the IPS black level a mute point. Try turning it off and just dimming the backlight. The screen can hold a candle to my 52B750 Samsung.

I can't compare, but I bought the set for the local dimming capability and see no point in turning it off anyway.
post #22 of 131 Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 AM

na
post #23 of 131 Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM

If local dimming or some other technology is able to bring equality of black levels to IPS panels as compared to other panels, then Vizio have succeeded in neutralizing panel dependency on black levels. The achieved black levels are not invalidated because some other company uses a better panel to do the same.
post #24 of 131 Old 09-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Buying any local dimming capable set and simply shutting it (local dimming control) off really defeats the purpose of buying a locally dimming set in the first place - no matter the price - dontcha think? This goes for pseudo local dimming or dynamic edge-lit sets as well.

Buy a basic CCFL or entry level LED set if you're compelled to shut off designed in features of the most expensive sets. Those functions are there for a reason.

Seriously
post #25 of 131 Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatot View Post

Buying any local dimming capable set and simply shutting it (local dimming control) off really defeats the purpose of buying a locally dimming set in the first place - no matter the price - dontcha think? This goes for pseudo local dimming or dynamic edge-lit sets as well.

Buy a basic CCFL or entry level LED set if you're compelled to shut off designed in features of the most expensive sets. Those functions are there for a reason.

Seriously

What I am saying is the panel is of a lower quality and requires the assistance of local dimming to beat a CCFL set. Technically if the panel quality was the same they would look about the same with local dimming turned off.

post #26 of 131 Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsiniard View Post

I work at Costco and we sell Vizios 10:1 over any other brand. Inherently, we see more come back because we sell a hell of alot more. But, if you crunched the numbers I'm sure they are all very close in return rate.
post #27 of 131 Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Maybe Vizio should change their name like LG did. Because LG was GOLDSTAR. I do remember there was a time Samsung wasn't know for being the best. I own 2 Sony's and love them BUT, I can't justify the Sony pricing too much more. I'd take the Vizio 55" XVT3 over most of Sony's models. Hell, I can buy 2 55" XVT3's for nearly the price of a Sony 60" NX 800.

Is Vizio as good? They are getting closer and closer every new model the launch.
post #28 of 131 Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridlon View Post

Maybe Vizio should change their name like LG did. Because LG was GOLDSTAR. I do remember there was a time Samsung wasn't know for being the best. I own 2 Sony's and love them BUT, I can't justify the Sony pricing too much more. I'd take the Vizio 55" XVT3 over most of Sony's models. Hell, I can buy 2 55" XVT3's for nearly the price of a Sony 60" NX 800.

Is Vizio as good? They are getting closer and closer every new model the launch.

Vizio doesn't need to change their name.

The XVT3 series surpasses everyhting Sony currently makes except for the HX909.....in fact the XVT3 series is the highest rated LCD according to Cnet.

There are always folks who will be skepitcal of new/newer brand names. It's always been that way.
post #29 of 131 Old 09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Vizio is by no means a new brand. And they seem to be making a pretty good name for themselves through the value retail channels. However, the XVT3 is edge lit and not a contender against any of the bigger names except on price. And to say that the XVT3 is only bested by the Sony HX909 is laughable on technical merit but acceptable as an opinion.

Lastly, CNET is a joke. Another piece of the information puzzle hunt, OK, I'll grant you that but putting so much emphasis on what those CNET knucklehead says is about as valuable as making your buying decisions on what those G4tv clowns say during the GadgetPrOn segments.
post #30 of 131 Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 PM

“the XVT3 is edge lit”???
OK, that made your conclusion worthless.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page