Best 32inch LCD as of 9/16/2010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I am sure that there have been similar questions floating around for the last several years, but.......

As of right now, what is the best 32 inch LCD TV on the market?

I know that with this smaller size I am limited as far as really cool features such as 3D or full array backlighting. Unfortunately for me 32 inches is all I have room for. Hoping for decent PQ and black levels.

Any input would be appreciated. Have a great day!
ehrabak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Odysseus18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1230050
Odysseus18 is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This same question is asked nearly every day. If you do a search under "32" you will find many threads answering you question

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=15920964
omeletpants is offline  
post #4 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

This same question is asked nearly every day. If you do a search under "32" you will find many threads answering you question

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=15920964

Sorry the link comes up with nothing. I did a search for 32 and I didn't find anything recent. Sorry to be a pain and thanks for noticing my post!
ehrabak is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It comes up with every discussion of 32" sets on the forum. You have to click on it and go through the threads.
omeletpants is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

It comes up with every discussion of 32" sets on the forum. You have to click on it and go through the threads.

Sorry - Am new to this and was probably looking in the wrong spot. Thank you for your time.....
ehrabak is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Member
 
Plasmachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

It comes up with every discussion of 32" sets on the forum. You have to click on it and go through the threads.

\\

It says sorry no matches. Try your search again.
Plasmachick is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
You know, sometimes it's easier and a heck of a lot nicer to give a guy the information he wants rather than point him to a thread that may be great in theory but in actual practice is as worthless as the computer space it takes up...

So, my choice for best 32" TV this year would be the LG 32LE5300 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED LCD HDTV with the Sony KDL-32EX500 close behind.

Hope this helps to give you a starting point.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

You know, sometimes it's easier and a heck of a lot nicer to give a guy the information he wants rather than point him to a thread that may be great in theory but in actual practice is as worthless as the computer space it takes up...

So, my choice for best 32" TV this year would be the LG 32LE5300 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED LCD HDTV with the Sony KDL-32EX500 close behind.

Hope this helps to give you a starting point.


It does. Thanks!
ehrabak is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

You know, sometimes it's easier and a heck of a lot nicer to give a guy the information he wants rather than point him to a thread that may be great in theory but in actual practice is as worthless as the computer space it takes up...

So, my choice for best 32" TV this year would be the LG 32LE5300 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED LCD HDTV with the Sony KDL-32EX500 close behind.

Hope this helps to give you a starting point.


Interesting.....not the Sony ex700 or 710? Can I pick your brain as to why? I hadn't even considered the LG until now because I always hear people talking about Sony or Samsung.......interesting....I will have to look into that model. Thank you so much!
ehrabak is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

You know, sometimes it's easier and a heck of a lot nicer to give a guy the information he wants rather than point him to a thread that may be great in theory but in actual practice is as worthless as the computer space it takes up...

So, my choice for best 32" TV this year would be the LG 32LE5300 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED LCD HDTV with the Sony KDL-32EX500 close behind.

Hope this helps to give you a starting point.

Thank you for posting more than a link to a month's worth of reading

As far as the best 32, the tests results I have seen put the LG32D520 ahead of the LG32LE5300. The reason is that the sound quality from the built in speakers in the LGLE5300 rated only Fair as opposed to the LG32D520 where the rating for the built-in speakers is Good. This is what the professional testers had to say about the sound quality from the built-in speakers on the LG32LE5300. "Sound was only fair, OK for typical programming but shortcomings obvious with movie soundtracks and music."

Another good choice would be the Samsung LN32C530, available at Amazon.
spyboy is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Thank you for posting more than a link to a month's worth of reading

As far as the best 32, the tests results I have seen put the LG32D520 ahead of the LG32LE5300. The reason is that the sound quality from the built in speeakers in the LGLE5300 rated only Fair as opposed to the LG32D520 where the rating for the built-in speakers is Good. This is what the professional testers had to say about the sound quality from the built-in speakers on the LG32LE5300. "Sound was only fair, OK for typical programming but shortcomings obvious with movie soundtracks and music."

Another good choice would be the Samsung LN32C530, available at Amazon.

Spyboy, you may be right. I went to Best Buy this afternoon while my wife was next door at Kohl's and looked at every 32" TV they had on display. To my untrained eye, the best looking one was the LG 32LD550 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV, a step up from the 32LD520. The LG 5400 was on display (same panel as the 5300, just a little more cheesecake added on) and the picture quality was nearly identical to the LD550.

The LG 32LD550 was next to the Sony KDL-32EX500 and as much as I like the Sony, the LG blew it away.

ehrabak, the reason I didn't mention the EX700 is because it's being phased out and the EX710 is a new model which I haven't seen in stores yet. I assume it's available in 32" but I'd have to look it up to be sure (you can do that also).

Whatever panel you choose, please audition them in person first to see which one looks the best to your eyes. And, as spyboy said, take a look at the Samsungs also. I have two Samsung 650's (an A650 and a B650) and love them both.

Good luck in your search, ehrabak.
BoilerJim is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Codename_Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Either the LG 32LE5300 or 32LE5400 with IPS panel.
Codename_Falcon is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Member
 
ThomasH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

You know, sometimes it's easier and a heck of a lot nicer to give a guy the information he wants rather than point him to a thread that may be great in theory but in actual practice is as worthless as the computer space it takes up...

So, my choice for best 32" TV this year would be the LG 32LE5300 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED LCD HDTV with the Sony KDL-32EX500 close behind.

Hope this helps to give you a starting point.

I agree. Some of these self appointed forum monitors are a real pain. I am sure they are also active in their neighborhood associations.
ThomasH is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is your viewing distance?
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Newbie
 
u2ugly2nv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Spyboy, you may be right. I went to Best Buy this afternoon while my wife was next door at Kohl's and looked at every 32" TV they had on display. To my untrained eye, the best looking one was the LG 32LD550 32-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV, a step up from the 32LD520. The LG 5400 was on display (same panel as the 5300, just a little more cheesecake added on) and the picture quality was nearly identical to the LD550.

The LG 32LD550 was next to the Sony KDL-32EX500 and as much as I like the Sony, the LG blew it away.

ehrabak, the reason I didn't mention the EX700 is because it's being phased out and the EX710 is a new model which I haven't seen in stores yet. I assume it's available in 32" but I'd have to look it up to be sure (you can do that also).

Whatever panel you choose, please audition them in person first to see which one looks the best to your eyes. And, as spyboy said, take a look at the Samsungs also. I have two Samsung 650's (an A650 and a B650) and love them both.

Good luck in your search, ehrabak.

I haven't seen the bravia 700. But I have been looking the the EX710 on amazon for under $900. Here is the direct link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL32EX71...4787915&sr=1-1


I'm actually wondering if this set has like a motion flow type feel to it.

I'm gonna have to look at it more to see if it actually has a glossy screen like the samsung and lg leds.
u2ugly2nv is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Newbie
 
u2ugly2nv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsallen View Post

if im not mistaken, Sony KDL32EX710 has an ambient sensor feature that adjust picture brightness base on room lighting condition.


your right. It does have that feature.
u2ugly2nv is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

What is your viewing distance?

I am guessing between 8 and 9 feet.

Now I have a 27 inch TV right now. I understand that the 32 inch HDTV is wider but a bit more narrow. I am worried now about the narrower vertical size. Is it very noticeable? Anyone else go from a standard 4:3 27 inch TV to a 16:9 32 inch TV? I wish I had more space......
ehrabak is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you rearrange the room to fit a larger TV? Are you stuck with an entertainment center?
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Member
 
Plasmachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrabak View Post

I am guessing between 8 and 9 feet.

Now I have a 27 inch TV right now. I understand that the 32 inch HDTV is wider but a bit more narrow. I am worried now about the narrower vertical size. Is it very noticeable? Anyone else go from a standard 4:3 27 inch TV to a 16:9 32 inch TV? I wish I had more space......

Yes. I had a 27 on a stand in a small nook flanked by 2 narrow bookshelves. I had to remove one of the bookshelves so it could fit.
Plasmachick is offline  
post #21 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Plasmachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrabak View Post

I am guessing between 8 and 9 feet.

Now I have a 27 inch TV right now. I understand that the 32 inch HDTV is wider but a bit more narrow. I am worried now about the narrower vertical size. Is it very noticeable? Anyone else go from a standard 4:3 27 inch TV to a 16:9 32 inch TV? I wish I had more space......

Yes. I had a 27 on a stand in a small nook flanked by 2 narrow bookshelves. I had to remove one of the bookshelves so the 32" could fit.
Plasmachick is offline  
post #22 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Can you rearrange the room to fit a larger TV? Are you stuck with an entertainment center?

Sadly for now I am stuck with the entertainment center I am currently using (and that is why I am stuck at 32).
ehrabak is offline  
post #23 of 29 Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmachick View Post

Yes. I had a 27 on a stand in a small nook flanked by 2 narrow bookshelves. I had to remove one of the bookshelves so the 32" could fit.

Did the 32 inch screen look ok or did you notice or were you bothered by the shorter screen?
ehrabak is offline  
post #24 of 29 Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Member
 
Plasmachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrabak View Post

Did the 32 inch screen look ok or did you notice or were you bothered by the shorter screen?

I'll try to post a pic for you so you can get an idea. The small nook is half of a reach in closet. It was sort of extra space and was perfect to stick the tv in there.
Plasmachick is offline  
post #25 of 29 Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Newbie
 
sweatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you i still find it good ans.

My Favorites 3D Projector
sweatar is offline  
post #26 of 29 Old 09-19-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrabak View Post

Sadly for now I am stuck with the entertainment center I am currently using (and that is why I am stuck at 32).

I really consider getting rid of the entertainment center, otherwise you will buying smaller TV's than you otherwise would until you let go. It's tough letting go of the entertainment center that the wife loves and/or you paid a fortune for just a few years ago. You'll be happier in the long run for making the switch and getting the larger TV
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #27 of 29 Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrabak View Post

Did the 32 inch screen look ok or did you notice or were you bothered by the shorter screen?

I have a 32" LCD TV in my bedroom and while the PQ is excellent, I find I must sit rather close to get any kind of immersive effect. I try to sit 4-5 feet from it if not closer as this allows me to get the maximum benefit out of the 1080p resolution. For a primary TV, I would get at least a 37" or 40" if not a 46" or more.

Your viewing distance is large and so you should really consider getting a TV stand/new entertainment center. The most common regret TV buyers have is not getting a big enough screen. While I love my 32" B650, I can't help wondering how much more immersive a 37" or 40" would have been, even for a bedroom.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #28 of 29 Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Servicetech571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I have a 32" LCD TV in my bedroom and while the PQ is excellent, I find I must sit rather close to get any kind of immersive effect. I try to sit 4-5 feet from it if not closer as this allows me to get the maximum benefit out of the 1080p resolution. For a primary TV, I would get at least a 37" or 40" if not a 46" or more.

Your viewing distance is large and so you should really consider getting a TV stand/new entertainment center. The most common regret TV buyers have is not getting a big enough screen. While I love my 32" B650, I can't help wondering how much more immersive a 37" or 40" would have been, even for a bedroom.

I got a 50" plasma in the bedroom. Yes it's overkill but I bought it locally as a refurb for less than you guys are talking about for 32" 1080p sets. Once we got use to the HUGE bedroom TV (About a 10' viewing distance, so not really so huge) we can't see going back to a smaller set.

IMHO the 32" 1080p displays are best suited as bad azz computer monitors Let me find a deal on one and my 23" is getting demoted
Servicetech571 is offline  
post #29 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ehrabak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

I really consider getting rid of the entertainment center, otherwise you will buying smaller TV's than you otherwise would until you let go. It's tough letting go of the entertainment center that the wife loves and/or you paid a fortune for just a few years ago. You'll be happier in the long run for making the switch and getting the larger TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I have a 32" LCD TV in my bedroom and while the PQ is excellent, I find I must sit rather close to get any kind of immersive effect. I try to sit 4-5 feet from it if not closer as this allows me to get the maximum benefit out of the 1080p resolution. For a primary TV, I would get at least a 37" or 40" if not a 46" or more.

Your viewing distance is large and so you should really consider getting a TV stand/new entertainment center. The most common regret TV buyers have is not getting a big enough screen. While I love my 32" B650, I can't help wondering how much more immersive a 37" or 40" would have been, even for a bedroom.

I had been mulling this over for a while. Quick satisfaction with the 32 inch tv or save for (possibly significantly) longer and get something bigger and better. Lol my wife says I can have a bigger TV but she gets to pick out the furniture that it goes on. hmm.....depending on how this goes it may be a very long wait for a new TV indeed......

I know I have gone off topic with this thread and I am sure that some moderators are probably peeved. Sorry!
ehrabak is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off