Vizio XVT3SV - RVR (Random Vizio Reboot) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 200 Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A call to owners of the Vizio XVT3SV - RVR (Random Vizio Reboot)

Let me preface - the new Vizio XVT3SV 55" is a fantastic TV. Great blacks, color, and features (backlit LED & matte screen). Probably the best bang for the buck - period.

With that said...

Has anyone noticed while watching TV, the picture freeze - then the lighted Vizio logo turn yellow, then blink for several seconds, and then the Vizio Apps logo appear on screen, and finally, the picture return? (Looks like a "reboot" or, affectionately "'RVR" = Random Vizio Reboot)

The above has now happened on at least 3 random occasions since I purchased the TV about 30 days ago. Given the 3rd time - I realized this goes beyond a weird one-time anomaly.

It's a new set, just released, so I am putting this out there to see if 1) it's defective and I'm unlucky in the batch lottery, 2) others have noticed the same thing and we can track the issues, and 3) if a larger issue, work to get a resolution.

It starts with the first report...

[setup: Vizio (input 1 HDMI) -> (via HDMI) Onkyo -> (via HDMI) Direct TV]

**The same comments were posted in the larger Vizio XVT3SV thread - but probably deserves its own thread **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 200 Old 09-18-2010, 04:28 PM

This does sound like an issue as a few owners have reported it. Thanks for bringing this issue to the forefront.

Based on reviews this TV is a great deal. However this issue needs an explanation/resolution.
post #3 of 200 Old 09-18-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Other owners reporting the RVR syndrome:

Date: 9-18-10
User: prspect06
Model: 473
Setup: [setup: Vizio (input 1 HDMI) -> (via HDMI) PS3]
Original Post: #post19210091

Date: 9-18-10
User: wirechild73
Model: ?
Setup: ?
Original Post: #post19210502
post #4 of 200 Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Date: 8-27-10
User: Tom the Piddler
Model: 553
Post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19110930

Date: 8-26-10
User: mcmachete
Model: ?
Post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19105691
post #5 of 200 Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM

It has happen to me on two occasions both while accessing the internet apps, however the tv did not reboot itself the picure just froze and i had to unplug the tv from the rear (as per the owners manual) to reboot. [Model 423sv,purchased at BJ's, assembled in mexico, connected via Hdmi -1 dish Network ]
post #6 of 200 Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Liked: 12
Mine ( bought it today!!) Actually freezes up after being on about 15 seconds. Can't even make it through the setup. If I leave it on it will reboot after about 5 mins, and continue to do that. After the initial 15 seconds there is no response to remote input and it must be unplugged to reboot. Then the whole thing starts over.
post #7 of 200 Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a serious concern for someone like myself looking forward to seeing the 473 in a store soon and, perhaps, making a purchase. I hope this issue works out because the reports on picture quality are all good.
post #8 of 200 Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM

RVR'd on 09/16/2010. Our 553, #89, shutdown and restarted, with the VIZIO flashing. This unit is on a UPS with voltage regulation, so that should eliminate any voltage problem problems. It worked OK before and since then.

Model 553

TV/RF only with an UPS with voltage regulation

#89 is the last 2 digets in the serial number. The prior mentioned report is for our other 553, #87. Both sets have been active since 08/03/2010, and each set has now RVR'd once.
post #9 of 200 Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

No problems with my 553....had it for just over a month now.
post #10 of 200 Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 AM

Liked: 12
I took my first set back to Costco yesterday. I contemplated waiting a week or two to get a higher serial #. Something that came off the line later where they may have been able to work out any mfg defects.
When I got there for the return I spoke to the electronics guy and found that they had just recieved a fresh shipment. Serial # went from like 300 on the first set to 3710 on the second set.
I'm a happy owner now. Works as advertised. Although I haven't tried everything out yet.

Anyone have a link to picture settings, or mind posting their settings?

Thanks and Good luck to all.
Costco was such a pleasure to deal with on this issue as well. Down right easy.
post #11 of 200 Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewrt View Post

I took my first set back to Costco yesterday. I contemplated waiting a week or two to get a higher serial #. Something that came off the line later where they may have been able to work out any mfg defects.
When I got there for the return I spoke to the electronics guy and found that they had just recieved a fresh shipment. Serial # went from like 300 on the first set to 3710 on the second set.
I'm a happy owner now. Works as advertised. Although I haven't tried everything out yet.

Anyone have a link to picture settings, or mind posting their settings?

Thanks and Good luck to all.
Costco was such a pleasure to deal with on this issue as well. Down right easy.

Go to Cnet and you will find the link there to their picture settings....2nd page of the review. Tweak as needed from there.
post #12 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM

RVR here as well. The set just freezes terribly. It happened to me 3 out of 4 times I watched TV in the last 2 days. Usually the TV will be on, the cable channel on and working fine, but when I want to do anything the set will not respond even though it is on and the program looks fine. I have to creep behind the set and reboot. The last one took well over a minute and finally returned to normal, but this is totally unacceptable for me as it is difficult to reach the power cable and is happening regularly now.

I may jump ship and pick up a CCFL LG instead. Any ideas if this will get resolved? Is is related to older production models not the new ones? Your thoughts?
post #13 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman_76 View Post

RVR here as well. The set just freezes terribly. It happened to me 3 out of 4 times I watched TV in the last 2 days. Usually the TV will be on, the cable channel on and working fine, but when I want to do anything the set will not respond even though it is on and the program looks fine. I have to creep behind the set and reboot. The last one took well over a minute and finally returned to normal, but this is totally unacceptable for me as it is difficult to reach the power cable and is happening regularly now.

I may jump ship and pick up a CCFL LG instead. Any ideas if this will get resolved? Is is related to older production models not the new ones? Your thoughts?

I got one of the first 553's out there and have not seen this issue......yet.

I would first place a call to either Vizio or if you bought it at Costco....their Concierge service. Maybe they have a solution or recommendation.

If no sugar there, then I would exchange for another and see how that goes before dumping and running.
post #14 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm curious if the owners who have experienced this have their displays networked and if so could the problem be caused by the display going out and searching for firmware upgrades and then not recovering afterwards?
post #15 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

Hi all. The set is going back. After looking at the set up close I also found a weird box around 16 pixels wide and 4 pixels high exhibiting a pink tint. At first it looks like a smudge but after looking closer it is a very strange problem that is pink and surrounds the pixels. The pixels in the pink "box" or "block" work fine though. I thought it was the source. It turns out to be there no matter if a source is present or not. With that and the freezing issue, Amazon has agreed to refund me fully. I may still pick up another 553, but they are back ordered now. Man, I really loved the set...*sniffle* Maybe the next 553 will be pristine. Fingers crossed!!!
post #16 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Just bought this past Friday and no issues yet. Absolutely beautiful screen, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
post #17 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had a freeze up once. Had to unplug and reboot. Not what I consider a serious problem if this only happens rarely. After all there is serious computing and processing going on - no real surprise that there are some issues with early firmware.
post #18 of 200 Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanp View Post

I had a freeze up once. Had to unplug and reboot. Not what I consider a serious problem if this only happens rarely. After all there is serious computing and processing going on - no real surprise that there are some issues with early firmware.

Apparently this doesn't just happen to Vizio.....a friend of mine bought his Dad a Sony 52" W series set last year and had to do the re-boot routine once on that.
post #19 of 200 Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Just had another random Vizio reboot(RVR) on my 473xvt last night while watching SVU. This is about the fifth time it's happened since I received the TV 2 weeks ago.

It's now to the point of being disconcerting. I unplugged the TV overnight and cleared the memory back to factory settings in hopes that will fix it.

Input 1 is HDMI to my comcast box and Input 2 is to my PS3. It has happened on both inputs so far.
post #20 of 200 Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 AM

I just received my new XVT373SV from Dell yesterday. Everything was working fine until I turned it on this morning. After about a minute the picture would freeze, the remote would not respond and the TV would turn itself off after a few seconds. This occurred no matter what the source material was.

I called Vizio and was told to unplug the TV, hold the power button on the TV for 45 seconds and then turn the TV back on. The Vizio logo on the front of the TV cycled yellow and white several times and then turned on. It seems to be working so far.
post #21 of 200 Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Well.....after owning this set for about 35 days I had my first issue. The TV would not respond to the Vizio remote. I could get the Directv remote to work and change channels and get a picture, but the Directv remote would not control the volume on the TV.

It was like the TV lost communication with the remotes.

I unplugged it and let it cycle through the boot cycle and it immediately worked as normal with the remotes.

I don't want to return it because I love this TV and there are no others that I would want from Costco.

Hopefully this is not a persistent issue.
post #22 of 200 Old 09-26-2010, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

I too just encountered the "other" issue with my Vizio....the "Un-responsive mode".

The Vizio logo would stay lighted (White) - but not respond to any remote command. Via the remote, I could not power down or change input. I couldn't even power down via the jog dial on the TV itself. The TV was completely un-responsive.

My only option would be to unplug the TV.

After unplugging the TV for 3-5 minutes, then plugging the power cord back in, the Vizio logo would flash between yellow (orange) and white for what seemed about 5 minutes.

After that, it finally turned solid yellow (orange) and then responded to the remote. At that point, I could use the remote to turn the TV "on".

I now have experienced both the "RVR" and the "UM" aka "Unresponsive Mode"...

I am really concerned there is something serious with the current firmware.
post #23 of 200 Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancethereal View Post

I too just encountered the "other" issue with my Vizio....the "Un-responsive mode".

The Vizio logo would stay lighted (White) - but not respond to any remote command. Via the remote, I could not power down or change input. I couldn't even power down via the jog dial on the TV itself. The TV was completely un-responsive.

After unplugging the TV for 3-5 minutes, then plugging the power cord back in, the Vizio logo would flash between yellow (orange) and white for what seemed about 5 minutes.

After that, it finally turned solid yellow (orange) and then responded to the remote. At that point, I could use the remote to turn the TV "on".

I now have experienced both the "RVR" and the "UM" aka "Unresponsive Mode"...

I am really concerned there is something serious with the current firmware.

I'm not that concerned....yet.....as this has only happenned to me once and unplugging solved the problem.

I am concerned that I will have to do this many more times in the future and I certainly don't want that.

I'll bring this to Vizio's attention on Monday.

This may be an internet related issue.....freeze-up or unresponsive mode.......or is it the firmware.......it does not surprise me that this type of thing happens or can happen......I've seen it on a Sony also........same fix.....unplug.....especially since these TV's are now essentially computers.
post #24 of 200 Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 AM

Add me to the list. Two weeks and I have one reboot and one black screen fade out that required a manually unplug/reboot. The black screen seemed to occur when it flipped from HD to SD channel.
post #25 of 200 Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancethereal View Post

After that, it finally turned solid yellow (orange) and then responded to the remote. At that point, I could use the remote to turn the TV "on".[/b]

Same occurrence once on my 37" XVT3SV and resolved as described above. I had ordered mine on pre-order. So far have not seen the re-boot issue. Keeping fingers crossed.

Plasmahidef
post #26 of 200 Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlclark View Post

I just received my new XVT373SV from Dell yesterday. Everything was working fine until I turned it on this morning. After about a minute the picture would freeze, the remote would not respond and the TV would turn itself off after a few seconds. This occurred no matter what the source material was.

I called Vizio and was told to unplug the TV, hold the power button on the TV for 45 seconds and then turn the TV back on. The Vizio logo on the front of the TV cycled yellow and white several times and then turned on. It seems to be working so far.

This problem just happened to me today for the first time. I've had the RVR problem and now this. I reset the TV just as you did and now it works again. Have you had this problem occur again?
post #27 of 200 Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 PM

Can people please report if they have the TV hooked up to the internet, and if so, hard wired or wi-fi?

I have only had this TV (XVT473) a week, but have not had the problem yet. I am not hooked up to the internet though. (I guess I am old school, I use my phone as a phone, my tv as a tv and my computer as a computer, and I don't like to let different foods touch on my plate either.)

I know my computer and cable box (DVR) both need rebooted from time to time. If the TV is connected to the internet, wouldn't it make sense that it needs rebooted sometimes too.

Edit: I suppose I should add that the first TV I brought home wouldn't even turn on, but the 2nd one seems to be working fine.
post #28 of 200 Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie555 View Post

Can people please report if they have the TV hooked up to the internet, and if so, hard wired or wi-fi?

I have only had this TV (XVT473) a week, but have not had the problem yet. I am not hooked up to the internet though. (I guess I am old school, I use my phone as a phone, my tv as a tv and my computer as a computer, and I don't like to let different foods touch on my plate either.)

I know my computer and cable box (DVR) both need rebooted from time to time. If the TV is connected to the internet, wouldn't it make sense that it needs rebooted sometimes too.

Edit: I suppose I should add that the first TV I brought home wouldn't even turn on, but the 2nd one seems to be working fine.

I've had my set now (553) for about 40 days or so. I'm connected to the internet (FIOS) via hard wire. It's much faster that way.

I have only had one freeze-up where the remotes would not operate the TV and the lighted Vizio symbol remains white. Unplugging returned the TV back to life.

I have not seen the RVR.
post #29 of 200 Old 10-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Question to Vizio - And our 2 - 553's are performing very well. But each unit has restarted once by itself and did a lot of orange light blinking on the restart. Assume these restarts were due to the units rebooting due to an operation or system problem and they did what they were supposed to do, reboot?

Vizio's answer - The connected TV's update their firmware during this process.

My comment on Vizio's answer - On the reboot question above (RVR?), we have OTA and are not connected to the internet. Vizio's answer makes since if your connected to the internet. We've asked for clarification on this.

Tom
post #30 of 200 Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Piddler View Post

Question to Vizio - And our 2 - 553's are performing very well. But each unit has restarted once by itself and did a lot of orange light blinking on the restart. Assume these restarts were due to the units rebooting due to an operation or system problem and they did what they were supposed to do, reboot?

Vizio's answer - The connected TV's update their firmware during this process.

My comment on Vizio's answer - On the reboot question above (RVR?), we have OTA and are not connected to the internet. Vizio's answer makes since if your connected to the internet. We've asked for clarification on this.

Tom

How does one check to see what firmware version you are on?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays