Do I really need high speed HDMI cables for an LED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my situation: I just bought the Samsung UN40C6300 LED. It's hooked up with a Monster MC700HD HDMI from a Sony STRD810 Receiver. The picture and sound are great but here's my question. I have the 120hz Automotion feature on this TV and I happen to like that "soap opera" look to my movies. Problem is that every few minutes there is a subtle 'jump" in the picture, like a frame was skipped. It happens no matter what i am watching. Is this what is known as judder? Do I need a higher speed cable to fix this( not necessarily Monster) or is the HDMI I have good enough and I am just stuck with the jump? Also, if I do need a higher speed cable, do I just need to change the one going from my receiver to the LED? Because, I also have MC700 going from my LG BD570 Blu Ray and my cable box into the receiver and I need to make those higher speed as well? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
The Monster MC700HD has a minimum rating of 10.2 Gbps which applies to the longest lengths produced. Shorter lengths perform significantly better than the rated spec so the cable shouldn't be a limiting factor. Your Sony also looks to be a fairly current model so it should be HDMI 1.3 compliant. Your cables/transport path is certainly fast enough. Sounds like processing judder and it's the trade off you get when using picture enhancements.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
unless your HDMI cable is faulty, its not the HDMI cable.

You only need a high speed rated HDMI cable for 3d playback. HDMI 1.4 is for this purpose.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #4 of 10 Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
If you are using any current inexpensive HDMI cable for your HDTV cable or satellite STB then it is a high sped cable.
Also see:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/tra..._logo_pub.aspx
post #5 of 10 Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
There wont be any image upgrade from using a quality original hdmi 1.0 to a brand new cable.

All the cables are capable of the required bandwidth for hd.

However there are features that the different newer cables offer such as two way communication between devices and 3d etc that you need the newer cables for.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

bypass the receiver...

boky
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post

bypass the receiver...

boky

Sorry. I need more specifics. I don't know what that means.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM

My experience Tonight.

I just got the Samsung UNC Series 8000 3D LED TV. I hooked it up and the picture is kinda fuzzy and blotches all over the screen. I Had it connected to the DIsh Net with an old generic HDMI cable that came with a Toshiba DVD Recorder. I tried to fix the settings and still got a poor picture.

So I unplugged the generic HDMI and tried another brand and instantly the picture improved! Plenty of AV guys will swear up and down that HDMI is HDMI no matter what, but after tonight I am thinking about getting a higher end cable. Since this is one of the new 3D HDTV's I guess you have to go for a high quality cable. Anyone else had this happen???
post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjsouth View Post

My experience Tonight.

I just got the Samsung UNC Series 8000 3D LED TV. I hooked it up and the picture is kinda fuzzy and blotches all over the screen. I Had it connected to the DIsh Net with an old generic HDMI cable that came with a Toshiba DVD Recorder. I tried to fix the settings and still got a poor picture.

So I unplugged the generic HDMI and tried another brand and instantly the picture improved! Plenty of AV guys will swear up and down that HDMI is HDMI no matter what, but after tonight I am thinking about getting a higher end cable. Since this is one of the new 3D HDTV's I guess you have to go for a high quality cable. Anyone else had this happen???

HDMI is HDMI unless you are doing something that requires faster speed like 3D or are running very long cable feeds like some in-wall systems in people's homes.

I have a $10 HDMI cable hooked up from my PS3 to my TV and it works like a charm. No fuzz. I've seen $6 HDMI cables perform admirably.

Now, if you have a "fuzzy" HDMI cable, it probably means the cable is faulty, or you are having a handshake issue or something of that nature (though handshake issues normally cause the lack of a picture, not fuzzy pictures). High quality when it comes to HDMI cables doesn't necessarily mean super expensive, just that it is made out of high quality materials and built well. You can get a high quality HDMI cable for $25 to $50. You don't have to spend $100+ like Monster Cable wants you to believe.

Just remember that the HDMI spec has minimum requirements that all of the manufacturers who build HDMI compatible devices must adhere to. And those minimum specs ensure that as long as the cables are working properly, your digital signal will be clean as a whistle. Going above the minimum spec probably won't do too much to clean up your signal (unless it is a long cable run as mentioned before) but will "future proof" you against needing to buy faster cables when upgrading to 3D equipment.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvidfil View Post

Sorry. I need more specifics. I don't know what that means.

Plug the cable directly from the player to the TV. If you are still having the issue it could either be the player or the cable. If you don't have the issue, then it is something going on within the receiver as it gets the signal from the HDMI, processes it, then sends it to the TV. Many modern receivers have the ability to either send the signal through its own internal processing (which can upscale, deinterlace etc) or simply pass the signal through to the TV without processing. If you can, set your receiver as pass through for the video signal and it should only process the audio and the signal will pass directly to your TV untouched. That could fix the issue if your receiver's processing is mucking up the signal.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page