Possible to fix LCD tv with damaged screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I don't know too much about the insides of LCD tv and any help would be greatly appreciated. Someone accidentally knocked over my 52" Sharp LCD tv and now the LCD screen is damaged. There's no noticeable damage from the exterior when the tv is off, but when turned on there's noticeable damage. I attached a picture I found online of what my tv looks similar to when turned on (sorry can't find my camera). There's still sound from my tv and some picture "behind" the damaged areas of the screen.

My friend's neighbor (about 4 hrs away) has the exact same tv but no longer works due to some internal problems. I'm not sure what it is but he has taken it to a professional and was told it doesn't have anything to do with the lcd screen. He's upgraded to a 3D set and is willing to give me his broken tv so I can replace my lcd screen with his. I wanted to know if that is even possible? Can I take apart my tv and his tv and simply replace my broken LCD screen with his screen? I'm willing to make the 8 hr round trip if it's possible. A guy at bestbuy told me maybe so I thought I ask on this forum since guys here are way more knowledgeable. Thanks!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Your post is somewhat contradictory. The title mentions that the screen is damaged and you confirm the same thing in the narrative, but then you say there is no noticible exterior damage when the TV is turned off. So how can you say it's a screen issue? Do you see cracks in the screen when the TV is on?

Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking that if the TV actually toppled over, there is probably internal damage as well as any damage that may or may not have occurred to the screen. We certainly don't have enough information to assess whether or not the TV is repairable at a reasonable cost.

Looks like time to go shopping for a new one and keep "Someone" away from it next time.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Unlikely .. for various reasons ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

sorry about the confusion....I can't see any damage when the tv is off. But my tv looks like the picture I posted when the tv is on. The tv toppled over and hit my coffee table...there's no break on the outside of the plastic screen.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
IMHO, if you know for sure that it's a damaged panel, it's possibly worth the 8 hour drive.

You also need to consider that after the 8 hour drive and time to replace the "new" panel that you could possibly have the same problem if you're just guessing. I guess you have to make the call if it's worth you time and effort. (and hopefully have the "expertise")

Who knows what happened when your TV fell over (as suggested in post #2)?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Since the TV is unusable as is......you really only have these options......buy a new set.......take your friend's set and attempt surgery......or bring the set into a local repair shop and get an estimate. Unfortunately you may have to pay for the estimate.

Tough call.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its obvious from the picture that the LCD panel is broken. I repair such damage to laptops regularly, using either a new lcd panel or one from a dead donor laptop with the same panel. If you can lay your hands on an identical TV with a good panel then you should be good to go.
As for the 8 hour drive, put on some good music, enjoy the scenery and take very good care of the replacement so it doesn't get broken on the trip home.
Of course, it won't be easy exchanging the panel, lots of disassembly, lots of screws, lots of connections and lots of care needed when removing the panel from the old TV and putting it into the new TV to make sure it doesn't flex too much and crack. Like a sheet of glass, keep it vertical and well supported. A 52" panel is going to be heavy!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just move the all the boards from your set to "his set". Sometimes you get lucky and all the boards are mounted on a single tray.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
... and move all the boards from his set to yours. One of the combinations may be lucky.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page