Using a 52" Sony Bravia as a Computer Monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-25-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright I know it sounds a little silly, but I have a 52" Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR4 - that has an outstanding picture on blu ray and High Definition television. I decided I wanted a 60" bravia in my living room and am debating whether to sell this 52" or keep it as a "way over the top huge computer monitor" instead.

Any time I have ever hooked any computer up to display on a television though - including this one - the picture was almost a joke. Nothing like the quality of my 20" LCD nor my 13" LCD laptop. I just assumed that the bigger you get, the worse the quality is.

I work from home and wont be doing gaming on it. But even Outlook didn't look very good at that large of a size.

1) Is it possible to retain full high definition video quality when you've got a computer hooked up to a Sony Bravia? Like to the point that its still as outstanding in quality and clarity as any High Definition video?

2) What will I need as far as hardware? I purchased a pretty nice Velocity Micro system with an Intel i7 processor and NVIDIA Gforce video card..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Not sure if the XBR4 has full chroma resolution (might blur colored text) but it should be fine over HDMI.

1080p is not that high resolution for a monitor of its size but if you turn sharpness to 0 and all processing off it should look good.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A 52" TV can be an excellent monitor. Make sure they have the over-scan OFF (turn on "full pixel" mode). When set in default 16:9 mode the TV scales ALL images sent to it which really messes up the 1080p resolution you paid top dollar for.

When reading text at extremely close distances to the screen (relative to screen size) you will be able to see individual pixels. This may or may not bother you. Keep in mind you will be at 0.5X screen size to viewing distance ratio if you are sitting 2 ft from the screen. I tried a 42" as a monitor and it was overkill, couldn't imagine a 52". A 32" would be a good size as a super monitor
post #4 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
I use my 55B650 as a PC monitor from time to time. It works. via VGA input.

post #5 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. The 60" is set to arrive in the next couple days, so I will give this a try, although I may need further clarification on where these settings are located exactly:

* Turn sharpness to 0
* Turn all processing off
* Turn over-scan OFF
* Turn on "full pixel" mode

Thanks.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well here is how my setup is going to look. I expect to get brain tumors galore, and some sort of "burnt eyeball" syndrome eventually, but it will be fun in the meantime.

My desktop computer tower does not seem to have an HDMI out for display. A guy at Fry's Electronics told me I could use a "Digital Out to HDMI In" cable that has HDMI on one end and the digital plug on the other.

Will this give me the same video quality as an HDMI-out slot directly on the video card would?

Thanks.

PS ... still need help with the 4-5 things listed above. I know how to turn sharprness to 0 on the bravia, but the rest? I have an XBR5 by the way ...
LL
post #7 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSBurger View Post

Thanks everyone. The 60" is set to arrive in the next couple days, so I will give this a try, although I may need further clarification on where these settings are located exactly:

* Turn sharpness to 0
* Turn all processing off
* Turn over-scan OFF
* Turn on "full pixel" mode

Thanks.

Anybody?
post #8 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Anybody?

Hi AVS Burger
I also have a Sony XBR4 TV. Here is how you access and adjust the settings in question.
On your XBR4/5 remote press the "Home" button to get to the XMB bar. Scroll over to the left side of the XMB bar and under "Settings" heading first select "Picture". Scroll down in the picture submenus until you get to Noise Reduction and turn it off. Do the same for MPEG Noise Reduction as well as DRC Mode. They should all be turned to off.
BTW, remember on the Sony remote to press the small round center button in the middle of the scroll wheel in order to save each of your selections before you press the return button to exit the submenus.

Now exit the "Picture" area and under the "Settings" heading find "Screen". Look for the submenu "Display Area" and select "Full Pixel".

One other suggestion, under the same "Settings" heading, find "Video Options" submenu "Game/Text Mode" and select whatever input you are using to connect your computer to the TV and set that input to "On". For example, I am using a standard VGA video cable from my laptop's video out port connected to the XBR4's "PC" input on the left side of the TV. So I have my XBR4's PC input set to "On" in the "Game/Text Mode" submenu.
That should do it for you. Let us know how it works and looks when you get it set up.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

I use my 55B650 as a PC monitor from time to time. It works. via VGA input.

wow that tv has a mean flashlight in the center of screen
usually its the corners
post #10 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

My desktop computer tower does not seem to have an HDMI out for display. A guy at Fry's Electronics told me I could use a "Digital Out to HDMI In" cable. It has HDMI on one end, and the digital plug (into the video card on the computer) on the other.

Will this give me the same video quality as an HDMI-out slot directly on the video card would?
post #11 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

My desktop computer tower does not seem to have an HDMI out for display. A guy at Fry's Electronics told me I could use a "Digital Out to HDMI In" cable. It has HDMI on one end, and the digital plug (into the video card on the computer) on the other.

why not use:

PC video input: 1 (rear) with D-sub 15 and L/R stereo mini plug connection
post #12 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

why not use:

PC video input: 1 (rear) with D-sub 15 and L/R stereo mini plug connection

1) I dont know why not because I dont know what that means

2) I was wondering about a yes or no on the question above. Could you let me know your thoughts on that first?

3) Then let me know why your suggestion is sufficient / better?

Need more info! Thanks
post #13 of 20 Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

wow that tv has a mean flashlight in the center of screen
usually its the corners

It's the camera flash!
post #14 of 20 Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly View Post

One other suggestion, under the same "Settings" heading, find "Video Options" submenu "Game/Text Mode" and select whatever input you are using to connect your computer to the TV and set that input to "On".

That last setting took the display from an incredibly brilliant high definition display to a rather dim display with a yellow hue to everything. Text is more easy to read, but why does it have to completely change the entire quality and hue of the display? My HD videos now look like crap in this setting - far less brilliant in color and MUCH less definition. No longer high definition. Can't I have clear text and at the same time keep the amazing color / brilliance?

There seems to be a disconnect here between high definition video, and what a typical computer monitor displays.

Thoughts?
post #15 of 20 Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:

That last setting took the display from an incredibly brilliant high definition display to a rather dim display with a yellow hue to everything. Text is more easy to read, but why does it have to completely change the entire quality and hue of the display? My HD videos now look like crap in this setting - far less brilliant in color and MUCH less definition. No longer high definition. Can't I have clear text and at the same time keep the amazing color / brilliance?

What kind of cable did you end up using to connect your computer to the XBR4 . . . a VGA video cable to the TV's PC Input or a HDMI cable to one of the TV's HDMI inputs?

The "Game/Text Mode" provides the optimum screen for viewing images with fine lines and characters. I use this setting for editing and viewing Powerpoint presentations, etc. But you should know that I am not using my computer connected to my XBR4 for watching HD videos and Hi Def images like you are so I have never seen the degraded quality that you mention.
If you don't like what "Game/Text Mode" does for your image then experiment and turn Game/text Mode off and decide what looks better for your viewing habits. If you still have the original Sony XBR4/5 Owner's Manual, check out page 38 for "Screen settings for PC Timings (HDMI or PC Input)" for more ideas and adjustments you can make.

While you are at it, you may also want to experiment in "Picture" settings again with DRC Mode turned back on and set to either Mode 1, then try Mode 2 (only available for 1080i format). Be aware though that DRC Mode is not available when Game/Text Mode is set to on. Also, experiment with the Color Temperature settings . . try Neutral or some of the others.
I am sure you can come up with something that looks good to your eyes. But remember the XBR4 is a high end TV, not a large computer monitor.
Have fun experimenting and good luck.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Got a DVI to HDMI adaptor, slapped it on the end of the DVI cable and voila !

Although important tip for future surfers: Some of the HDMI inputs wont accept a signal from a computer so if you get the message on screen signal not recognized ... just use a different HDMI input on the back.

I agree there is definitely a difference between a high end television and a computer monitor. The hue is more blue and colors are far more brilliant. But tiny single pixel text does not display well even in High Definition television. Nor do some fine lines.

So there is a disconnect in that regard. Im not using my computer for video primarily but its nice to have a brilliant beautiful eye-candy display ... as the Game/Text setting is very yellow and muted in all ways possible.

Ill mess with some of the other settings.
post #17 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Messing with the standard "Picture" options (remote: "Options > Picture") fixed all my issues and kept the text readable. Mission accomplished. It looks outstanding. Thank you for all the help guys!
post #18 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Messing with the standard "Picture" options (remote: "Options > Picture") fixed all my issues and kept the text readable. Mission accomplished. It looks outstanding. Thank you for all the help guys!

Congratulations! Glad to read you have it all worked out. Thanks for sharing your story with us. At 52 inches, your XBR4's gotta be the biggest computer monitor I've heard of.
Hope you enjoy your new 60 inch TV, too!
post #19 of 20 Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly View Post

The "Game/Text Mode" provides the optimum screen for viewing images with fine lines and characters. I use this setting for editing and viewing Powerpoint presentations, etc.

Resurrecting this thread as I have now purchased a 55 inch Sony Bravia NX810 ... the newer one - 3D capable. I have followed all the same steps as the other TV mentioned above, yet the text displays poorly. Basically how it was displaying before I switched the *other* TV to "Game" mode (as per suggestions above). Doing that on the other television fixed the quality of text display perfectly but made everything dim. I then went into options and manually adjusted brightness and hue. With this TV, "Scene Select" Game mode does not fix the text display problem. This TV also has a "Document" mode for text display, but the text looks no different.

The only other difference is that, connected to this TV is a very small 13" Sony Vaio laptop with what I would assume is a far inferior video card. I am using HDMI-out on both the other system and this laptop. The other TV is connected to a gaming system with a solid video card. Would that really play a role in the display of something as simple as text?

Video card specs on this laptop:

Processor: NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M GS GPU with Total Available
Graphics Memory of 1500MB (max.) and Mobile Intel® Graphics
Media Accelerator 4500MHD with Intel® Clear Video Technology
with Total Available Graphics Memory: 1300MB (max.)
Video RAM: 256MB of dedicated video RAM
Technology: Hybrid Graphics System
Chipset: Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
Max. External Resolution via VGA: 2048x1536
Max. External Display Resolution via HDMI™ : 1920x1080
Max. External Resolution via DVI: 1920x1200

Quote:
While you are at it, you may also want to experiment in "Picture" settings again with DRC Mode turned back on and set to either Mode 1, then try Mode 2 (only available for 1080i format). Be aware though that DRC Mode is not available when Game/Text Mode is set to on.

I dont have a "DRC Mode" on this new television. Can someone tell me where to find the equivilent , or at least tell me what DRC stands for so I can make an educated guess from the existing menu items?

Thanks.
LL
post #20 of 20 Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Okay I figured it out.

For this 2nd television - Bravia 55" NX810 .... and this particular laptop Vaio ... the settings to get the best font :

Choose Scene Select and choose Cinema. Oddly enough "Document" produces crap quality fonts.

The previous TV mentioned at the top needed "Game" as its setting.

Odd.... anyways... fixed.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page