Official LG 47LX6500/55LX6500 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 973 Old 11-07-2010, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes,
Want to hear about 3D performance. We have a great 42" Hitachi 1080 Plasma and do not want to buy this and be disappointed. He have a PS3 and saw the Panny Plasma 3D demo that was incredible. I then looked at the Sony Nx810 and it was Horrible. Lots of Flicker.

I really want to get the Amazon Deal,1599 free ship, 4 pairs and Blueray player but want to hear about the 3d Performance.

We are all HD, HD antenna and Ps3. My Kids want the 3D games. I want the 3D movies. But if there are tons of Artifacts, I may have to wait for the 47" Panny Plasma to be in stock.

Please comments ASAP.

Thanks,

Norm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 973 Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 PM

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...00-3d-lcd-hdtv

Check it out.
post #93 of 973 Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 PM

I did try shaun white skateboarding in 3d. it was ok but not designed for 3d it felt tacked on just to ride the 3d train. but it looked good and added a bit to the experiance pity about the average gameplay. gets blury during panning movement but thats more brain not keeping up rather than tv.
The flickering gets less noticeable when you start concentrating on the game play, also dark room helps alot.
post #94 of 973 Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nklemens View Post

Yes,
Want to hear about 3D performance. We have a great 42" Hitachi 1080 Plasma and do not want to buy this and be disappointed. He have a PS3 and saw the Panny Plasma 3D demo that was incredible. I then looked at the Sony Nx810 and it was Horrible. Lots of Flicker.

I really want to get the Amazon Deal,1599 free ship, 4 pairs and Blueray player but want to hear about the 3d Performance.

We are all HD, HD antenna and Ps3. My Kids want the 3D games. I want the 3D movies. But if there are tons of Artifacts, I may have to wait for the 47" Panny Plasma to be in stock.

Please comments ASAP.

Thanks,

Norm

Where are you finding that deal?
post #95 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 AM

Btw, I used Starman's settings and I like the balance between the life-like look of the trumotion and the cinema quality. However, just like many are saying, I am noticing some blur and artifacting but it seems to be dependent on the source.

For instance, I watched Avatar on HBO on Saturday night and hardly noticed any distortion, the picture was amazing. And then when I was watching Bad Boys II on TBS, it was noticeable. I really think it's the source.

Also, anyone have a PS3 and watch or play any of the 3D demos? I tried to play it kept giving me an error. Do I really need the 1.4 hdmi cable?
post #96 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_tu View Post

Btw, I used Starman's settings and I like the balance between the life-like look of the trumotion and the cinema quality. However, just like many are saying, I am noticing some blur and artifacting but it seems to be dependent on the source.

For instance, I watched Avatar on HBO on Saturday night and hardly noticed any distortion, the picture was amazing. And then when I was watching Bad Boys II on TBS, it was noticeable. I really think it's the source.

Also, anyone have a PS3 and watch or play any of the 3D demos? I tried to play it kept giving me an error. Do I really need the 1.4 hdmi cable?

As long as it is designated as a "High Speed" cable, you should be fine. I assume that you have the latest firmware update installed for your PS3?
post #97 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Which settings? Trumotion, Noise, and Digital Noise all set to "High"?

Quote:

Yeah. In my experience, sports have been the best while shows on TBS have been the worst...

Quote:

I don't believe 3D uses any extra pins. (AFAIK, HDMI 1.4[a] only added pins for the "audio return channel".) Have you updated the firmware on your PS3?
post #98 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Amazon until Nov 13th. Free shipping too. Must buy from Amazon, not another merchant.
post #99 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Amazon until Nov 13th. Free shipping too. Must buy from Amazon, not another merchant.

Not too shabby if you have to have 3D. (And if that's the case, why not go Plasma?) Otherwise, merely warm.

Although, I think I may have gotten in on the deal of the year. Glad I bit when I did! (That is, of course, non-clearance and not needing to sit out in the cold starting at 9:00 pm Thanksgiving night... )
post #100 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanDXE View Post
Which settings? Trumotion, Noise, and Digital Noise all set to "High"?
I did all your settings you posted.

Quote:
I don't believe 3D uses any extra pins. (AFAIK, HDMI 1.4[a] only added pins for the "audio return channel".) Have you updated the firmware on your PS3?
Weird, I tried to play the MLB demo and it said it couldn't find the signal and that either A. I needed a 1.4 hdmi cable or B. the source was bad. Considering I dl'ed it from the PS Network, I don't think it was the source.

Oh wait...now that I'm thinking, all my cables are 1.2 and my PS3 is running through my receiver which the output is 1.2 as well. That could be the reason why and now that I think about it...I might have to get a new receiver if it doesn't have 1.3 and 1.4 support, right?
post #101 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I've been posting a lot...

Are you talking about just the single list of settings? Or that list + the updates I've discussed?

Quote:
I might have to get a new receiver if it doesn't have 1.3 and 1.4 support, right?
Sure... why not?

However, I'm kind of disappointed in the pairing between my TV and the Onkyo HT-RC260 I picked up. It seems the TV is supposed to be able to control the volume on the RC260 via HDMI, which it does when I enable it on the TV every single time I turn everything on... Also, the TV has no problem turning the receiver off when I turn off the TV, but it never turns the receiver on for me...

Also, issues getting the Blu-ray player to communicate with the TV when attached through the RC260. Oh: and the RC260 won't recognize my iMac plugged in via HDMI except for when using the "AUX" port on the front of the RC260. However, while it recognizes the iMac, it doesn't display any video
post #102 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Well, I've been posting a lot...

Are you talking about just the single list of settings? Or that list + the updates I've discussed?

Sure... why not?

However, I'm kind of disappointed in the pairing between my TV and the Onkyo HT-RC260 I picked up. It seems the TV is supposed to be able to control the volume on the RC260 via HDMI, which it does when I enable it on the TV every single time I turn everything on... Also, the TV has no problem turning the receiver off when I turn off the TV, but it never turns the receiver on for me...

Also, issues getting the Blu-ray player to communicate with the TV when attached through the RC260. Oh: and the RC260 won't recognize my iMac plugged in via HDMI except for when using the "AUX" port on the front of the RC260. However, while it recognizes the iMac, it doesn't display any video

I did the setting where you said you liked it the most (someone else quoted you).

My receiver does the same thing. When I had my Panasonic plasma plugged in, it used to control the audio and it turned on and off when I powered on the television, now it doesn't which is annoying bc I hate to use all these remotes when I used to be able to use one.

Also, I notice my receiver is going straight to the TV setting and not the SAT (hdmi) setting ever since I've changed televisions.

This tv is amazing, but it's got a few little things that needs tweaking.

Edit: turned the noise reduction settings to high...let's see how it goes.
post #103 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Well, I got my copy of IMAX Under the Sea 3D in the mail today. All I have to say is, it's a good thing I paid what I did for this TV and it just happened to be 3D!

If I had bought this TV solely for the 3D, I'd be really, really pissed. There's so much crosstalk, it's almost unwatchable at times. Clearly the display can't switch the pixels quickly enough when it needs to go from black-to-white...

Oh well! Hopefully they'll fix this with a firmware update...?

IF YOU'RE BUYING FOR 3D, GET A PLASMA!!!
post #104 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmandxe View Post

well, i got my copy of imax under the sea 3d in the mail today. All i have to say is, it's a good thing i paid what i did for this tv and it just happened to be 3d!

If i had bought this tv solely for the 3d, i'd be really, really pissed. There's so much crosstalk, it's almost unwatchable at times. Clearly the display can't switch the pixels quickly enough when it needs to go from black-to-white...

Oh well! Hopefully they'll fix this with a firmware update...?

if you're buying for 3d, get a plasma!!!

noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #105 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Weird, I tried to play the MLB demo and it said it couldn't find the signal and that either A. I needed a 1.4 hdmi cable or B. the source was bad. Considering I dl'ed it from the PS Network, I don't think it was the source.

Oh wait...now that I'm thinking, all my cables are 1.2 and my PS3 is running through my receiver which the output is 1.2 as well. That could be the reason why and now that I think about it...I might have to get a new receiver if it doesn't have 1.3 and 1.4 support, right?

If you are running the PS3 through your AVR, it needs to be 3D capable as well. I notice both Starman and myself have an Onkyo HT-260 which is 3D capable.

Absolutely agree with Starman that the 3D quality on these TVs is pretty poor. The last firmware update on mine did help the 3D quality a little, but it still isn't anything to brag about. I have played the few 3D PS3 demos, and you are not really missing much.
post #106 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaC View Post

If you are running the PS3 through your AVR, it needs to be 3D capable as well. I notice both Starman and myself have an Onkyo HT-260 which is 3D capable.

Yeah, but I don't have my Blu-ray player going through my HT-RC260. I did before, but then the "Simplink" wouldn't work right...

Along those lines, did you setup your TV to control the volume of your RC260? Mine is so spotty! The TV is always able to turn the RC260 off, but it almost never turns it on, and I have to re-pair it (with the Simplink) every time I turn the TV on just so I can control the RC260's volume with the TV remote...
post #107 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Ugh...as if I wasn't frustrated enough, now I cant have surround sound on 3d content.
post #108 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Did you try the left right button on the remote totry and eliminate ghosting? The review I listed above stated that ghosting was eliminated when this was pressed.

Let me know. I would only be buying this TV for the 3D. The Samsung 720P 50" plasma has great reviews fro under $1K.

Let me know the final judgement on 3D with this TV. I would be using an Onyko 806 for AV receiver. I just pass through my HDMI.
post #109 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM

My firmware is 3.02.09 btw, is anyone's higher/lower?
post #110 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Did you try the left right button on the remote totry and eliminate ghosting? The review I listed above stated that ghosting was eliminated when this was pressed.

Let me know. I would only be buying this TV for the 3D. The Samsung 720P 50" plasma has great reviews fro under $1K.

Let me know the final judgement on 3D with this TV. I would be using an Onyko 806 for AV receiver. I just pass through my HDMI.

It's odd because the reviews say that the 3D is nothing superb, but I don't remember seeing it this bad. I hope for sure that a firmware update is coming out soon.
post #111 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Ugh...as if I wasn't frustrated enough, now I cant have surround sound on 3d content.

I don't follow... Update your firmware maybe?

Quote:

My firmware is 3.02.09 btw, is anyone's higher/lower?

3.10.20 with no updates available.

Quote:

Naw, dawg. Do you understand how 3D works? If the left and right images are switched, it just looks like a jumbled mess. Completely different from the "ghosting" (i.e. crosstalk) issue.

Here's a video I made showing the crosstalk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKWOhLHNlU8
post #112 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM

I Think I will go for another 3D plasma. Have not seen a bad review for one yet. LCD/LED in 3D are all over the place for reviews.

Thanks,

Norm
post #113 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:

3.10.20 with no updates available.

Interesting...mine doesn't show any updates and it's a lower version.

And to my point about no surround sound, I was talking about my receiver. I will have to see if there is some firmware update for that.
post #114 of 973 Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I Think I will go for another 3D plasma. Have not seen a bad review for one yet. LCD/LED in 3D are all over the place for reviews.

Yeah. If you really care about 3D that much, it's a no-brainer: go with plasma.

But, 720p? Anything larger than ~30" has got to be 1080p IMO

Quote:

Interesting...mine doesn't show any updates and it's a lower version.

And to my point about no surround sound, I was talking about my receiver. I will have to see if there is some firmware update for that.

Weird...

And, ok. That makes more sense.
post #115 of 973 Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:

I read the review link you posted (all excited about a better 3D picture) When I swapped the left/right it increased the ghosting considerably

If I was buying a TV for 3D I would also recommend staying away from this one and going with a plasma.
post #116 of 973 Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 PM

My two cents on the 55LX6500:

Pros:
  1. Power - I'm coming from a '06 47" Westinghouse @ 250W. This baby sips @ < 65W when running.
  2. Video Files -It played a TS 6Mbps H264 5.1 w/AC3 5.1 off of a Flash drive perfectly. Wouldn't stream it, but it would stream WMV VC-1/WMA Pro 4Mbps (720p). MEPG2/AC3 1080p(?) worked as well.
  3. Netflix only allows to view your instant queue, no searching. The quality however, is awesome.
  4. Somebody said youtube is slow. Mine is pretty snappy. Biggest complaint is that doesn't seem to support HD.
  5. I'm really happy with the 2D display quality, but again... '06 47" Westinghouse.

Cons:
  1. 3D - Even with flipping the L/R sync, it still ghosts. Maybe a firmware update will help?
  2. LAN connector sticks way out that back and I know better than to use wireless. Technically you are supposed to have 4" clearance anyway, but a low profile mount would look awesome.
  3. Yahoo Widgets only use the 25% of the screen, and I had to do a reset to get them to install. I need to look into this more...

Questions for the group:
  1. As I understand, the PS3 can't do 120Hz. Would buying a standalone Blu-Ray player help the poor image quality I'm seeing in 3D?
  2. So, I have an HDMI 1.4 amp that has an ethernet connection. As I understand the TV acts as the Ethernet hub (stupid), can the receiver act as the hub as well? I don't want to run another cable to the TV.
  3. Can the audio return channel handle 6 channel audio (This of course assumes that the TV will decode WMA Pro as 5.1)? I'll eventually have the answers for 2&3, but it would be useful to know in advance.
post #117 of 973 Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Well I have played about 2 hrs of call of duty black opps in 3D, I did enjoy the depth within the screen, it made the appearance of the gun pointing into the screen and the bullets flying around the perceived depth of the screen nice. There was some severe crosstalk issues especially in the cut scenes.

Not positive that this is a tv issue or mostly a lack of settings with a tacked on 3D. The game only has the settings to turn 3D on, there are no screen size, viewing distance or intensity setting, all of which are essential as individuals perceive 3D in different amounts.

3D for online multiplayer is a no go, altho you can use it the video lag is a major disadvantage and once again the lack of settings detracts from the experience.

In summary it needs allot of polish but the potential is there for good single player 3D gaming experiences, I am going to finish the game in 3D for the game is enjoyable in 3D and the issues are mostly bearable.
post #118 of 973 Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburckh View Post

1. As I understand, the PS3 can't do 120Hz. Would buying a standalone Blu-Ray player help the poor image quality I'm seeing in 3D?

Nah. I bought my TV as part of a bundle that came with an LG 3D Blu-ray player (the LG BX580) and it still has the terrible crosstalk issues.

Regardless, Blu-ray 3D is only 1080p/48Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storquer View Post

There was some severe crosstalk issues especially in the cut scenes.

Not positive that this is a tv issue...

I am. See my Youtube video above. (Edit: Ah, hell. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKWOhLHNlU8)

This TV has horrible crosstalk, plain and simple...
post #119 of 973 Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM

I highly encourage everyone who owns this TV to go to the Amazon.com page for it and write a review, making sure to give the "3D experience" a one-star rating. Hopefully if there's enough bad press there, LG will take notice and issue a fix(?)

Either that, or they'll just write it off and completely ignore the fact that the TV exists anymore...

Actually, what do you think? Can we start a class-action lawsuit for false advertising? This TV really isn't 3D... Maybe 2.5D...
post #120 of 973 Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Thanks to all. I found the Panny 46 PGT may be the way to go. I have only found 1 for $1100, but it's at a Ma and Pa type electronics store and I try to stay away from them.

Still looking and thank you all.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page