Official LG 47LX6500/55LX6500 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 973 Old 09-30-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 689
The LG 47LX6500 & 55LX6500 look pretty darn nice so we desided to crack one open and give it a test. Reveiw from Chad B coming......

More info >>> Click Here and Click Here

These units are price very well, especially when the bundle is applied.

LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 973 Old 10-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thank you so much for starting a thread on this model. I bought a 55" back in August and have found almost nothing about it as far as reviews or calibration settings. The few reviews I did find were quite uncomplimentary regarding black levels and 3D performance.

I only have one 3D movie (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs), and saw a considerable amount of ghosting. The black levels also seem poor even with local dimming on.
post #3 of 973 Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I can tell you that chad was very impressed with this unit, I am sure his review will be up within the next few days.

-These just took a nice price drop and LG has an amazing bundle which includeds 4 pairs of 3D glasses and the BX580 3D blu ray player
post #4 of 973 Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 489
This week I had the pleasure of getting together with Chris from Cleveland Plasma to evaluate one of LG's new 3D capable displays. LG's 55" LX6500 is a sleek, extremely thin LCD utilizing an edgelit LED backlight with local dimming. I got a first look at the LX6500 at LG's CEDIA exhibit a week prior to the review. I was not able to test the 3D capabilities of the LX6500 at the time of the review, though I had sampled it with true 3D content at CEDIA and had no complaints.

The LX6500 sports four HDMI 1.4a inputs, with three on the back and one on the side. It's NetCast internet connectivity includes access from content providers such as Netflix, CinemaNow, Vudu, YouTube, Yahoo Widgets, Picasa, and others. If you want to go wireless, an optional WiFi adapter is available; and the LX6500 is capable of receiving a wireless 1080P signal with the addition of an external transmitter box and receiver.

The LX6500's screen diffused reflections more than a typical glossy screen, although not to the extent of the LG LH90's matte screen. With the set turned off, it did a very good job of keeping the screen dark with the lights on. In addition, it's extremely high light output capability means that the image will be able to cut through high ambient light and still be easily visible. However, direct reflections were smeared over a larger area than on most glossy screens, while at the same time being more distinct and visible than on a matte screen. As long it is positioned so that bright light from lamps or windows are kept to the side of the screen rather than behind the viewer, I believe it will work well in a typical bright living room.

LG's LED Plus backlight with local dimming keeps the profile slim and the power consumption low, although the 16 dimming zones in the review set's 55" screen are far coarser than last year's LH90 or other full LED local dimming sets. With local dimming turned on, different quadrants of the screen will dim or lighten based on the program material that is actually displayed in that general area. The zones without content are never totally extinguished, though; they are merely dimmed. This local dimming action improves the contrast ratio and darkens the black level. I was reminded of Sony's Advanced Auto Iris feature on their SXRD displays, because it electronically boosted dark images while reducing blacks. That combines to increase the perceived contrast ratio in dark scenes without sacrificing shadow detail. However, the black bars at the top and bottom of a 2.35:1 movie tended to pulsate somewhat from dark to light gray, especially in dark scenes. Since the backlight is around the edge of the screen, central objects in the image will cause the zones above and below or to the sides of the image to light up. It is not a rapid strobe effect; rather, it's more like how washout from the side of a flashlight's direct beam lightens certain areas of a dark room as the flashlight is swept back and forth. I believe the LX6500's local dimming brings enough improvement to outweigh this side effect, although it has the potential to be distracting. Measured in a dark room with a Chroma5 colorimeter and exposure time set to maximum, blacks improved from a light gray .072 footlamberts with local dimming off to a dark gray .008 fL with local dimming on. With LD on, the LX6500's blacks were only slightly lighter than a nearby Panasonic VT25. Full on/off contrast ratio improved from 570:1 with LD off to an excellent 5231:1 with LD on. The ANSI checkerboard contrast measured around 570:1, and the local dimming did not significantly change that reading.

Edge lit screens tend to have problems with uniformity; and with a black screen, there was an area near the top left corner that was a lighter shade of gray. However, with brighter images the LX6500's screen looked very uniform.

Another weakness of LCD displays, regardless of their use of LED technology, is degradation of the image off to the sides or past the top and bottom of the screen. Some sets can be so bad in this regard that merely moving from the center cushion of a three seat couch to one of the end cushions will cause the color and contrast to wash out. I was very impressed with how well the LX6500's color and contrast held up off to the sides; at angles far beyond where most competing displays would be showing the "three P's" (pale, pasty people), the LX6500 still looked quite natural. Only with test patterns was I able to see that the whites looked a little off-white when I moved to the sides. While moving directly above or below or side to side had little effect on the image, Rock Band guitarists beware: moving diagonally (up and to the side or down and to the side) caused much more degradation.

The sound from the built in speakers was mediocre, with an emphasized and peaky midrange and low volume capability. However, that was with the default sound settings, so it is possible that better tonality could be coaxed from it.

Before calibration:

I put on some familiar demo material to see how the different picture presets looked. Standard mode looked plenty bright, with hot, vibrant color. However, I also noticed significant pumping, and dark objects in the image sunk down into black. I also noticed quite a bit of graininess in the image, and saw fleeting glimpses of motion blockiness. Standard mode, while not to my liking, would tend to catch the eye in a brighter room and show a vibrant (though far from accurate) image.
Movie mode, on the other hand, looked remarkably lifelike; though contrast looked weak. Movie's relaxed, stable image was satisfying in a dark room. Shadow detail was better, and the color looked pretty natural except for a very slight off-white tone. The image had a good sense of depth, and textures were smooth and grain free. Pans had the "soap opera" look, and the image sometimes blocked up a little during motion. Movie mode's measurements are shown in attachment #1. The only thing that dismayed me about the picture in movie mode was the poor blacks and contrast; but I took a peek at the picture adjustments, and local dimming was turned off by default.
If you can't afford to get your set professionally calibrated, you can get a good image on the LX6500 by doing the following:

* put it in movie mode and, starting with the default settings, turn local dimming on
* bump up the brightness a couple clicks
* adjust the backlight to your room's lighting conditions
* go to the 2 point white balance adjustment; reduce the red gain and increase the blue gain.

One of the LX6500's most important features is the ISFccc picture mode. Quoting LG's glossary: ISFccc stands for the Imaging Science Foundation certified calibration control. This refers to TVs that contain the detailed calibration controls necessary for professional certification by the Imaging Science Foundation. The goal is to achieve performance parameters such as accurate color temperature, gray scale tracking as well as other performance parameters that are optimized for varying viewing conditions. The resulting ISF "day" and "night" modes will then be accessible by the user to experience the best their LG HDTV has to offer.

The ISF picture modes include an optional 10 point white balance/gamma adjustment and a partial CMS adjustment with brightness and hue for each primary and secondary color.

There is a selection for wide, standard, EBU, SMPTE, or BT709 color space. Surprisingly, there was no measured or visible difference between wide or standard, and the other selections just introduced varying amounts of red deficiencies in the color luminance. The SMPTE preset showed the strongest amount of red deficiency.

The defeatable edge enhancement had more effect than the same control in LG's LH90. I turned it off at first, but after viewing some video I found I preferred the picture with it set to low. The low setting sharpened the picture a bit without causing too much over enhancement.

The 240 Hz processing has separate adjustments for judder and blur reduction in steps from 0 to 10. I found that with judder it was pretty much all or nothing, with 0 showing normal film judder and 1 through 10 eliminating the judder and giving a somewhat too smooth look to pans.

The LX6500 showed full resolution in a 1080i film based moving resolution pattern, and it displayed 1080P/24 material properly.

I found the LX6500's ISF modes to be a pleasure to calibrate, though it would be beneficial to make sure your ISF or THX calibrator has plenty of experience with recent LG displays.

The resulting measurements after calibrating ISF Night mode are shown in attachment #2. This shows superb performance, with very tight gray scale tracking, nearly perfect gamma, and very low color error.

After calibration:

When I was finished, I put in my familiar demo material from the DVE Blu Ray and The Dark Knight Blu Ray, viewed in both 1080i and 1080P/24.
The LX6500's color after calibration is absolutely incredible. Flesh tones looked very natural, with the right amount of ruddiness in faces but no chronic sunburn. Blond hair looked real, with no hint of greenish tinge. Whites looked pure, and there was no hint of the slight off-white tinge that was apparent in movie mode before calibration. Color intensity was spot on; the inside of the bank at the beginning of The Dark Knight looked the proper richness, and the robber's masks seemed to pop out of the screen.
The image was very smooth, with no added textures and a soft, yet detailed look. The picture was stable, and shadow detail was excellent. Dark images did not sink into a black blob. The high light output capability let bright scenes come through with power.
It reminded me somewhat of an E-Book reader with an electronic paper display; very easy on the eyes, and just exciting enough not to look bland. With the edge enhancement on low, resolution and detail looked great.
However, the LX6500's sole weakness became apparent when The Dark Knight transitioned to the first dark, letterboxed scene. "Pop" is just not one of this set's strong points in high contrast or dark scenes. Though the local dimming helps, it is not nearly as effective as that of the full LED sets like LG's Infinia LE8500. Also, the varying brightness of the letterbox bars described above came into play. These issues will be much more apparent when watching dark, letterbox movies in a light controlled room than when watching sports or regular TV.

Whether the LX6500's contrast will be an issue for you will depend on your viewing habits. I found most aspects of the picture to be very seductive. For TV lovers with bright living rooms who want 3D capability in a beautifully designed and versatile set, the LX6500 is a strong contender.

LG 55LX6500 bef cinema.pdf 174.546875k . file

LG 55LX6500 after ISF night.pdf 167.837890625k . file

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300

Why I don't publish settings
Review index and rankings
post #5 of 973 Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 AM

Did you get a chance to look at any 3D material? I only have Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and I found the crosstalk very distracting (especially on background objects) I have also tried a few 3D clips from different websites and found them pretty much unwatchable. Perhaps there is something wrong with my set.
post #6 of 973 Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
Chad, thanks for your thorough review. I bought this TV about a month ago and been struggling to get calibration settings and reviews for it. Haven't tried the 3D material much, although I did play Motorstorm 3D on the PS3 and was particularly impressed.

Do you have any recommendations about which advanced settings should be disabled for optimal viewing? I read that you turned local dimming on, do you remember any other advanced settings that made a huge difference in this set's performance?

TIA.
post #7 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #8 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 01:19 PM

I have it and I have a big problem with it.
This is my second 47LX6500 first one had serious backlight bleeding in left bottom and in upper right corner .Since it was on arrival they exchanged it with a new one.

Second one still has a problem at bottom left side (backligh bleeding severe.)

What should I do ?

I mean they both have the problem at same area do you think it can be solved through firmware or should I contact local technical service again ?

Ps:would you like screenshots ?
post #9 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotscreen View Post

I have it and I have a big problem with it.
This is my second 47LX6500 first one had serious backlight bleeding in left bottom and in upper right corner .Since it was on arrival they exchanged it with a new one.

Second one still has a problem at bottom left side (backligh bleeding severe.)

What should I do ?

I mean they both have the problem at same area do you think it can be solved through firmware or should I contact local technical service again ?

Ps:would you like screenshots ?

Backlight bleeding as in flashlighting in the corners?

Mine has pretty poor backlight uniformity without local dimming.

I would like to see a screenshot.
post #10 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 PM

no not in corners but like a manufacturing fault.
It flashlights over little bright objects with pure black background and i'm fin e with that but whenever i'm wathcing a dark or black screen or playing with ps3 that bleeding really distracts me.

I'm afraid that even in 3rd panel there would be same problem so ı dont know what should I do. LG really screwed up with this series.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #11 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM

If you guys want I can also upload pictures of 1st panel and 2nd one with same ps3 screen to compare.
post #12 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 02:49 PM

I assume that is what the screen looks like with no input, so I guesss local dimming is off.

What is your backlight set at?
post #13 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Well this was at 100 for highlighting the problem area.
That is with black image from pc.

You can still see it at 30 if you turn on local dimming and dont go past 25-30 it is tolerable.
However firmware problem or hardware problem it is a problem as you can see, it has this on one side and not on the other.

I'm going to contact LG directly about this on Monday. I'll let you know about that.

I also have 42LE5300 and E2350 monitor and they are superb.

LE5300 does not have this much uniformity problem even @ 100 backlight against 30 backlight of LX6500 and it doesn't even have local dimming.

My bet is on firmware or some service menu settings cause it seems like local dimming doesn't work on these areas or something like that.
post #14 of 973 Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Good luck. Don't let them give you a line about that being "normal".
Let us know if there is a firmware update for this TV. I bought the wireless adapter for that very reason.
post #15 of 973 Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 PM

Just unboxed my set about an hour ago.
post #16 of 973 Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM

the 3 d picture is pretty amazing. I bought the lg lx580 blu ray player and Lg offers free Imax 3d Under the Sea dvd mail in offer. The Under the sea dvd is great. I have a 125 gallon reef tank next to my tv and the picture from under the sea compares to watching my reef tank. I also have Cloudy with a chance of meatballs and Monster House. The only issue I have is having to turn 3d feature on and off on tv and dvd on and off numerous times for it to play correctly. But once its set , 3d is awesome. There has to be something that I'm doing wrong. Also when you turn on the LG blu ray player it switches the tv input automatically and you have no control over tv menu.
I originally bought the 55LH90 but returned it because screen was scratched, however I think that picture was better than my 55lx6500.
post #17 of 973 Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Amazon is offering an insane deal for the 47" version. I bought this TV, with a FREE LG 3D Blu ray player and 4 free 3D glasses for less than 14 hundred dollars. I couldn't pass that up! I'm looking forward to hearing some more about this TV in the forum and some suggestions for calibration. Note: One site had a terrible review for this TV, so I hope that is not the norm.
post #18 of 973 Old 10-17-2010, 01:56 AM

why is the prices on amazon falling so sharply on this TV. Is there something wrong with it?
Please suggest. Its seems like a really gr8 deal which i don't want to miss if the TV is good enough. So please send in your views asap.
post #19 of 973 Old 10-17-2010, 02:24 AM

lazura, u can add tivo premiere tcd746320 for almost free. It's part of their bundle deal. Order Total: $1,429.17. However, not much reviews on this TV. Well, we'll see I'm in 4 for 1. I can't miss this deal
post #20 of 973 Old 10-17-2010, 02:30 PM

$640 from 55" to 47". Is that worth it? Price on the 47" package looks great, seems high on the 55".

I've already had a 47" LG LH90 and want to go bigger for the living room.
post #21 of 973 Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinZ28 View Post

$640 from 55" to 47". Is that worth it? Price on the 47" package looks great, seems high on the 55".

I've already had a 47" LG LH90 and want to go bigger for the living room.

27% higher price for... 37% more screen area. 55" is immensely bigger than a 47". Unless you can only fit a 47" youll regret not going bigger
post #22 of 973 Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 AM

How does this TV compare to Sony NX810?? Any idea?
post #23 of 973 Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Anyone having issues receiving HD broadcast channels? I have my TV plugged into my coax. On my old TV I could type in 7.1 and see my local HD channels, but the new TV doesn't seem to recognize them.
post #24 of 973 Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by tackhouse1 View Post

Anyone having issues receiving HD broadcast channels? I have my TV plugged into my coax. On my old TV I could type in 7.1 and see my local HD channels, but the new TV doesn't seem to recognize them.

Doesn't the panel have a way to scan for QAM channels? What does the manual say to do?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #25 of 973 Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM

I just set up my 47" TV and I have been very pleased. I got the great Amazon deal I mentioned above and the TV arrived within 2 days via a commercial delivery service. I am just using the standard settings with a wired LAN connection and so far I'm very pleased with the picture. I haven't made any adjustments yet, so I'd be glad to hear from others what settings they are using (I have no idea how to perform the calibration settings mentioned by Chad B in this thread). I hooked up my PS3 (with an HDMI 1.4 cable) and I was also very impressed with the 3D effects. I played the Motorstorm 3D and Wipeout 3D demos and they looked really cool! I was so impressed with these demos that I'm now really looking forward to the 3D versions of Killzone 3 and GT5 (if it is ever released).

I have also played around with the 'widgets' a little and Netflix worked immediately. The only downside I have experienced so far is that the YouTube app is very slow. Also, I'm looking forward to using the VUDU app to view some HD movies (they give you one free one to start).

Note: As soon as I started up my TV, it downloaded a firmware update. So, maybe this firmware update fixed some of the issues listed in previous posts.
post #26 of 973 Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 AM

Yes, when I checked there was a new software update for mine. I think it was 3.10.20. There was also an update for my 580 Blu-ray player. I popped in the only 3D movie I have (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) and it did seem that the ghosting was less than the last time I checked it.

The new software also fixed my issue of having to turn on Local Dimming every time I turned the TV on.
post #27 of 973 Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 PM

Another new owner of this TV. Overall pleased with it. Picture quality is quite good. However, still fighting with the "Trumotion" controls and trying to figure out what "Judder" and "Blur" do... (According to the manual on LG's website: Judder adjusts noise of the screen; Blur adjusts after-image of the screen... ??? >_<)

As far as 3D goes, most of the videos I've found to watch have pretty bad ghosting. However, I did find an Avatar trailer video (1080p resolution side-by-side 3D) which looked quite good. I guess the quality of the 3D depends heavily on the source material?
post #28 of 973 Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM

It would be great if someone was able to post some calibrated settings for this model like in this LG thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1271152

Seems not many people on this forum own this model since this thread is almost a month old and only 27 replies.
post #29 of 973 Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 AM

The Real Cinema Setting on my 47LX6500 is grayed out and can't be changed.
I have a HD cable box and a blue-ray player connected to an Onkyo TX-SR608 with HDMI 1.4 cables. I then go from the 608 to the HDMI1 input on my 6500 with a HDMI 1.4 cable.
Is there a way to activate the Real Cinema Setting so it can be changed?
I also have a 32LE5300 connected the same way with the Real Cinema Setting grayed out.

Thanks in advance

Herman
post #30 of 973 Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 AM

What do you have hooked up to "HDMI1"? If it's a Blu-ray player outputting at 24 Hz, then the TV would probably just automatically assume you want "Real Cinema" enabled(???)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page