Official Sony Bravia KDL NX810 owners' thread (60NX810, 55NX810, 46NX810) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6623 Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ProtocolOH,
Please let us know when yours arrives!!! I am using your time line to guess when mine will arrive. I ordered online Friday morning (29 Oct), received my confirmation email this morning ( 1 Nov), and hope to hear from the delivery company this week.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6623 Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Liked: 15
Picked up the 55 inch 4 days ago. Some minor clouding however not noticeable during regular viewing so I'm not going to worry about it. Sound is ok, not terrific, can live with it. Not going to comment on the PQ until I get it dialed in to where I like it. So some questions regarding this.

1 - Can't seem to get my reds right, any suggestions?

2 - Motion Flow and Cinemotion, I assume one or both will cause the soap opera effect. I've tried all combinations on different types of programming, I can't see any difference using either of these. What would be the setting for the max soap opera effect? And would either of these settings cause artifacts or decrease in black level?

3 - LED Dynamic control - again can't see any difference using this, what does this do?

4 -3d conversion sucks, not seeing much of anything here.

5 - Any other tips you guys might have would be greatly appreciated.
post #273 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 AM

hey guys. just got on the us-app deal also. just waiting for the tv bundle to come now. i was wondering if you guys would be able to give your opinions on some speakers. i was debating between these two models on sonystyle: SU-B505S (TV stand with built in speakers) and HT-CT350 (40" sound bar and subwoofer).
**can't post links yet due to low post-count.

i dont really have room for a whole speaker system, so these seemed like good alternatives to getting better audio performance.

also, are the tv stands pretty stable? this is my first flat-screen ever and was wondering if the tv stand is sturdy enough to withstand earthquakes (i live in socal) or hyperactive nieces/nephews. sorry if this is a dumb question...i'm not very handy with tools and such so i don't know much about securing large objects.
post #274 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye18455 View Post

hey guys. just got on the us-app deal also. just waiting for the tv bundle to come now. i was wondering if you guys would be able to give your opinions on some speakers. i was debating between these two models on sonystyle: SU-B505S (TV stand with built in speakers) and HT-CT350 (40" sound bar and subwoofer).

i dont really have room for a whole speaker system, so these seemed like good alternatives to getting better audio performance.

also, are the tv stands pretty stable? this is my first flat-screen ever and was wondering if the tv stand is sturdy enough to withstand earthquakes (i live in socal) or hyperactive nieces/nephews. sorry if this is a dumb question...i'm not very handy with tools and such so i don't know much about securing large objects.

I am very happy with the 55NX810 optional TV stand (SU-B550S). The speaker sound is great, almost equals the sound of a much higher wattage surround sound system. The beauty of this stand is that it integrates with the TV, so no extra controls, and it accepts Dolby 5.1 as well as DTS. 40w system, so the bass is not as good as my BOSE surround sound system, but certainly acceptable. The installed speakers with the NX were totally unacceptable and almost a cause to return the TV. Oh-yes the TV is very stable in the stand since it supports the TV weight the entire width of the TV. Consider paying the extra expedite cost since it's shipped from CA and will take 2 weeks if you do opt for normal delivery

Don
XBR-55X900A

SW Florida area

post #275 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I ordered SU-B5055S to address the weak speaker issue on the 55NX810 (it sounded like tin can). The idea was that I don't want to introduce another receiver or decoder (HT-CT350) when I only watching TV. I already have B&W speakers setup with Marantz if I watch movies. SU-B5055 seem to be the better options for me.

plus, it integrate with TV's design~~

at least this is my though.

regards,
post #276 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:

The Bushin stand integrates beautifully with the TV and gives 2.1 sound. For the same money though you can buy the HT-CT350 with simulates 5.1 and has a separate sub woofer. Look at the "hands on research on the Cruchfield site for a good feature breakdown:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158HTCT...=detailed_info

It integrates electronically, but doesn't connect to the TV. I've been debating getting the CT350. I was planning on laying the bar at the base of the TV. My concern is that it will block the bottom half inch of the TV since the TV on it's stand don't clear the height of the sound bar.
post #277 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM

The other option might be to go for the ct150 which may be a bit shorter. Apparently it sounds just as good as the ct350 anyway...
post #278 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

The other option might be to go for the ct150 which may be a bit shorter. Apparently it sounds just as good as the ct350 anyway...

Viper, this issue isn't the length, it's the height of the speaker bar. I like the idea of simulated 5.1.
post #279 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwolner View Post

Not claiming it to be a groundbreaking trend. Just passing along something I read that may be of interest to the group, especially since it mentioned statements made by Sony executives to investors and analysts. Just another CFO adjusting his YE outlook, but very telling of what's likely to come in the next 30-45 days. I wonder if the high end sets we enthusiasts are interested in will also drop in price, given that the market for high end sets is more inelastic when compared to the lower end TV set market. I'm also sure this economy is preventing some enthusiasts from making purchases or maybe some are just settling for something less in quality. Everyone makes trade-offs in life...

Not sure what my age has to do with it my decision to share the information with the group. No worries though, I've already purchased my 60NX810, and I don't really have too much buyers remorse (other than trying to justify to myself the huge price leap between 55 and 60, and if the extra 5" of screen was worth it). I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. I am to. In life, you can always wait for things to come around, or you can strike when you feel the opportunity is appropriate for you. Everyone has their own personal approach...

It's a great post and you're probably right..Yes, the economy ain't to great. Jobs are in short supply and most fear they may lose the one they have.
I was just saying and (what I say is more or less meaningless..) is for my case, I don't have the time, or don't want to wait. I could but rather not. Most certainly prices will fall, new technologies, new models, holiday shopping, etc. but that 60 incher hasn't budged and I wanted it. Will it budge come x-mas b/c the CEO made some comments? perhaps(most probably). I don't "trust" CEO's anymore...Sorry..I can't trust those guys.

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #280 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwolner View Post

Viper, this issue isn't the length, it's the height of the speaker bar. I like the idea of simulated 5.1.

I understand that, when i said a bit shorter i meant in the height not the length. Sorry should of been more specific on that as the width is shorter as well.
post #281 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I understand that, when i said a bit shorter i meant in the height not the length. Sorry should of been more specific on that as the width is shorter as well.

Whoops... I misunderstood...

I was thinking though... If I could build an inch/ inch and a half high wood pedestal for the TV to stand on with factory stand attached to add just enough height to clear the sound bar. Then when you lay the sound bar in front, you won't even see the pedestal and the sound bar would no longer block the TV... I could stain it the color of the wall unit it's going on... I bet it wouldn't be noticeable at all... ooooooooooooooor I'll have thousands of $$$ worth of gorgeously designed electronics standing on thousands of $$ worth of furniture with a home made pedestal that looks like absolute $h!t.
post #282 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbean View Post

Please let us know when yours arrives!!! I am using your time line to guess when mine will arrive. I ordered online Friday morning (29 Oct), received my confirmation email this morning (1 Nov), and hope to hear from the delivery company this week.

Well, I finally got the call from the delivery company, looks like I'll be getting mine Friday. Seems that the delivery window will depend largely on who's delivering it and what their schedule looks like. To recap:

Mon 10/18, late - Ordered online w/ US Appliance, got confirmation
Wed 10/20 - Got my sales receipt/invoice (that's when it's official)
Mon 10/25 - Got notice from US Appliance that my order has shipped
Tue 10/26 - Shipping company site says "Picked Up" in Plainville, IN
Sun 10/31 - Status changed to "Load"
Tue 11/2 - Status changed to "Unload", location is now Cleveland OH area
Fri 11/5 - Scheduled delivery (got call 11/2)

So, about 14 business days total from initial receipt of order to delivery. Not exactly lightning fast, but I'm not in a hurry. The delivery company has been sitting on it for a while now, but what are ya gonna do. Other people have gotten their US App orders days ago, it's probably luck of the draw how close you are to a distribution warehouse and how motivated the shipper is.
post #283 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the update. I'll let you know when mine ships!

Mike
post #284 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM

I just received my shipping email. Looks like it will be in my area on Friday the 5th. I am going to call and arrange a dock pick up on Friday, otherwise they will deliver the following week.

Mike
post #285 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any deals on the 46"?
post #286 of 6623 Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 PM

thank you so much guys on the input for the speakers. i think i've decided to go with the 40" sound bar just because i like the idea of simulated 5.1 sound.
post #287 of 6623 Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Liked: 17
Received my TV yesterday afternoon from US Appliance. This thing is awesome! One gripe I have is the off angle viewing but not a big deal for me, that is just something I have to put up with going back to LED LCD.

**One thing, the left side of my TV hangs slightly lower using the included stand. How do I fix that?
post #288 of 6623 Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmminez View Post

Any owners out here with a 46" that can comment on black levels/flashlighting/clouding? Looking for the final pieces of the puzzle to hit the buy button! Its between:

46NX810
46XBR9
46XRB10

NX810 55" was at the high end flatpanel shootout representing Sony and the Sonystyle HQ Rep stated they have rated it's black levels as "Infinite". The NX810 scored very well at the Shootout BTW.

46" is kind of small for my HT tastes though, I saw them yesterday at Sonystyle in our area and it's perhaps the nicest styled TV in the lineup IMO. Black levels were excellent but if you stick to a 46" you may want to order the custom monolith sound bar stand since the bezel is so small the sound quality is perhaps it's weakness without a SS System or that Sound Bar available up to 55" models.

You can check out the Flatpanel Shootout for 2010 at Youtube but it's split up into over 20 sessions. I'd go with the NX810 myself with those choices with that sound bar but personally I have quite an expensive SS for my HT but if not that monolith stand sounds and looks great for a stand alone system.

I'm holding out for CES 2011 to see if anything bigger than 60" is on the horizon otherwise I'd buy the NX810 but figure CES is but two months away to see what's new and bigger for 2011 before deciding and by then the prices wil drop a bit further.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #289 of 6623 Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony doesn't have a stand w/speakers for the 60 inchers. They suggested the 350 - sound bar w/ subwoofer. The idea was to not have any external speakers, but since none exists, they're persistent to sell the 350.

Visit our settings page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #290 of 6623 Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

NX810 55" was at the high end flatpanel shootout representing Sony and the Sonystyle HQ Rep stated they have rated it's black levels as "Infinite". The NX810 scored very well at the Shootout BTW.

46" is kind of small for my HT tastes though, I saw them yesterday at Sonystyle in our area and it's perhaps the nicest styled TV in the lineup IMO. Black levels were excellent but if you stick to a 46" you may want to order the custom monolith sound bar stand since the bezel is so small the sound quality is perhaps it's weakness without a SS System or that Sound Bar available up to 55" models.

You can check out the Flatpanel Shootout for 2010 at Youtube but it's split up into over 20 sessions. I'd go with the NX810 myself with those choices with that sound bar but personally I have quite an expensive SS for my HT but if not that monolith stand sounds and looks great for a stand alone system.

I'm holding out for CES 2011 to see if anything bigger than 60" is on the horizon otherwise I'd buy the NX810 but figure CES is but two months away to see what's new and bigger for 2011 before deciding and by then the prices wil drop a bit further.

Bigger the better. for sure. 2 months is a long time.

Visit our settings page:
post #291 of 6623 Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post
Have her take a look at one in person, she will let you spend the $400. The monolith design is exquisite.
+1 nicest design Ive ever seen for a TV so far now that the bezel around the screen is so thin. I wonder if Sony will ever match this one again from a design standpoint, it might be a while.
post #292 of 6623 Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847

+1 nicest design Ive ever seen for a TV so far now that the bezel around the screen is so thin. I wonder if Sony will ever match this one again from a design standpoint, it might be a while.
Indeed, that Bezel did force me to reconsider my decision to consider 55 nx 810 over 52 xbr but finally, my logic showed me the path..lol
post #293 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Tried to find out the calibration settings but there is only a final report for each TV on the web. Anyone happened to come across the settings used for this TV willing to share it?

Thanks!
post #294 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

I have it on good authority that this design is selling more sets than Sony have for years now. They can't build them fast enough and were not expecting to sell as many as they have. (part of why they had to switch from Sharp back to Samsung)

Apparently the TV division in Japan has made their first profit for quite some time this year.

I would not be surprised-or disappointed-if they stuck with this design again next year. Perhaps they could refine it slightly by integrating the 3D transmitter, and changing the design of the inputs on the back. I would much rather have downwards or sideways facing inputs to let the screen mount closer to the wall.
post #295 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 AM

Sony Bravia KDL55NX810 reviewed by CNET Australia here getting editor's rating of 8.2
post #296 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 AM

new firmware? just check mine...

PKG5.024AAS

website only has 5.022 listed. My tv auto updated and I had 5.018 shipped with tv as I check a day or two ago.
post #297 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 AM

I activated the Netflix and Flickr features last night. Both work quite well and are user friendly. The Netflix movies streamed directly to the TV are just as good as those streamed to my computer.

John Carmichael
post #298 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I have it on good authority that this design is selling more sets than Sony have for years now. They can't build them fast enough and were not expecting to sell as many as they have. (part of why they had to switch from Sharp back to Samsung)

Apparently the TV division in Japan has made their first profit for quite some time this year.

I would not be surprised-or disappointed-if they stuck with this design again next year. Perhaps they could refine it slightly by integrating the 3D transmitter, and changing the design of the inputs on the back. I would much rather have downwards or sideways facing inputs to let the screen mount closer to the wall.

Oh yeah thats the one thing i couldnt believe about the NX810. After designing such a beautiful set i cant believe they put some of the inputs near the MIDDLE of the back panel. What were these guys thinking? Surely people are going to want to wall mount a TV this nice...

Very surprised, but i guess something like an HDMI switcher can help. And the emitter not being built-in i agree was another bad call, but at least its easy to hide so you dont really see it.

IMHO the input placement is the real problem with the design on this set.
post #299 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I know. I want someone to come out with a TV that can mount with the back flush against the wall. I'm sure it could be done if they actually thought about it. Whats the point in the TV being so thin if it has to be 2" out from the wall as soon as you want to plug anything into it. The only thing I could see being a problem is powering the set but perhaps you could have a recessed power box behind the screen or something?

Wireless HDMI would be good too. There are add-on boxes for $200 now that are uncompressed 1080p60 and less than 1ms delay so they would even work for gaming. If they can sell an external box for $200 there is no reason for that technology not being built into a premium display.

Its a shame that wireless power tech exists but wont be implemented for a number of years. It would be great if all you had to do was mount the screen on the wall anywhere no wires to deal with at all, just plug everything into a receiver box.
post #300 of 6623 Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:

I know. I want someone to come out with a TV that can mount with the back flush against the wall. I'm sure it could be done if they actually thought about it. Whats the point in the TV being so thin if it has to be 2" out from the wall as soon as you want to plug anything into it. The only thing I could see being a problem is powering the set but perhaps you could have a recessed power box behind the screen or something?

Wireless HDMI would be good too. There are add-on boxes for $200 now that are uncompressed 1080p60 and less than 1ms delay so they would even work for gaming. If they can sell an external box for $200 there is no reason for that technology not being built into a premium display.

Its a shame that wireless power tech exists but wont be implemented for a number of years. It would be great if all you had to do was mount the screen on the wall anywhere no wires to deal with at all, just plug everything into a receiver box.

There is no problem with the wiring for super slim wall mounts since the inputs on the back are neatly RECESSED into a spacious cavity on the back of the TV!!!!

I've got a lot of cables attached and they all fit nicely into the recessed back and don't protrude at all. I am using a super thin Sanus mount that only has .55 inches of clearance between the wall and the set.

Also, the inputs are not in the back center, but are off to the left of center, so they don't interfer with the wall mount.

John Carmichael
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl60nx810 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx810 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx810 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led , Sony 60 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Xbr60lx900
Gear in this thread - Xbr52hx909 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page