Official Sony Bravia KDL NX810 owners' thread (60NX810, 55NX810, 46NX810) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6628 Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

go for the NX810. It is brighter, less reflections and looks better design wise. Per this hardwarezone.com review it provides a better picture than the HX and the LX. www.televisioninfo.com has detailed reviews on the LX, NX, HX, although their NX review numbers are not accurate-the hardwarezone.com is accurate. I for one think the NX is worth the extra bucks. The only issue is the audio quality and I assume the HX has the same propblem. Now, the HX909 is full array LED and should be the best picture but its around $3400 with no deals. There was a comparison on the various models features somewhere in this thread that I thought was great to help in your decision and clearly the NX was the best value in the features area especially with the free bundled 3D starter kit

Reviews:
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm
http://www.hardwarezone.com/product-guide/view/84364/review/93280

Did you compare the HX800 to the NX810 and notice the NX810 was brighter or are you saying this based on the review?

I read the hardwarezone.com review and they say the NX810 has a better picture than the LX900 but they did not mention the HX800 at all.

I was thinking maybe the black panel screen may give the HX800 a slight edge in PQ but not sure if that comes with any trade-offs such as a darker picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6628 Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2847 View Post

Did you compare the HX800 to the NX810 and notice the NX810 was brighter or are you saying this based on the review?

I read the hardwarezone.com review and they say the NX810 has a better picture than the LX900 but they did not mention the HX800 at all.

I was thinking maybe the black panel screen may give the HX800 a slight edge in PQ but not sure if that comes with any trade-offs such as a darker picture.

I already stated that I thought the brightness measurements of the televisioninfo.com were inaccurate and are not what I have experienced myself, both in my home and at Best Buy displays

Don
SW Florida area
post #363 of 6628 Old 11-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

I already stated that I thought the brightness measurements of the televisioninfo.com were inaccurate and are not what I have experienced myself. It appears you did not look up the tvinfo.com comparisons of the 3 HDTV models, based on your statements regarding the HX model

I said the review you quoted from hardwarezone.com did not mention anything about the NX being better than the HX, it only said better than the LX900. So where did you see them mention its better than both? Instead of getting defensive and seemingly butt-hurt, why not just answer the question?

"Per this hardwarezone.com review it provides a better picture than the HX and the LX."
post #364 of 6628 Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you guys had to choose, would you buy a 55NX810 or a Samsung Un55c6500? Its my first HDTV but im stuck between the two X_X. Or a 46" HX 909.
post #365 of 6628 Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Didn't see this thread until now... was trying to find this thread in the 3D section...
Ended up getting the Amazon bundle 55NX810 + Alice Bundle + PS3 and should be delivering this week. Looks like the bundle has ended, but the price keeps going down..
Now to look for 2 more pairs of 3D glasses for the kids...
post #366 of 6628 Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post

If you guys had to choose, would you buy a 55NX810 or a Samsung Un55c6500? Its my first HDTV but im stuck between the two X_X. Or a 46" HX 909.

I saw samsung in person, colors look way unnatural
post #367 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM

I was wondering if any one played Xbox 360 or PS3 on the 46NX810 series or 55nx810. I was wondering how is the gaming on these TV's. I am a big gamer so need to know before i spend !@#$ of money. Thank you really appreciate it.
post #368 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddhi143 View Post

I was wondering if any one played Xbox 360 or PS3 on the 46NX810 series or 55nx810. I was wondering how is the gaming on these TV's. I am a big gamer so need to know before i spend !@#$ of money. Thank you really appreciate it.

I have a PS3 hooked up to it and it looks awesome. I'm just a casual gamer though. Anything particular I should be looking for?
post #369 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziddhi143 View Post

Ive played a few games on the 55NX810. So far, input lag in game mode is minimal, feels like its around 30ms which is very good/responsive.

Halo reach, killzone 2 and a few others all looked/played amazing on it. The PQ on this TV is very bright (i find its brighter than most other LCD's especially other Sony's) which is a great benefit for gaming/3d content.
post #370 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM

I know many of you guys aren't real happy with the separate wired 3D Emitter and would rather it be built into the bezel. It's a valid point for aesthetic reasons because it avoids clutter and another ugly cable.

But, there are some great advantages to the NX810's separate, movable 3D emitter:

1. In my installation, it's a necessity because my TV bezel will be covered by a decorative wood frame which would block the signal from a built-in 3D emitter. I can hide the emitter's cable in the wall and put the emitter where I want it and where it works well.

2. I think I remember hearing on a different thread that Sony's separate 3D emitter transmits a stronger signal than the built-in version. I'd love to see a test on this! I wonder what the maximum transmission distance is for both types.

3. Since the NX810 emitter is movable, you can adjust it so that it works well wherever you sit in the room.

4. You can hide it when you're not using it.

5.TV's like the NX810 tend to be less expensive than the ones with built-in emitters.

So look on the bright side!

John Carmichael
post #371 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM

My us appliance bought 55NX810's serial # starts with a 5 too.
post #372 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Any owner can comment on clouding on this set? Anyone has some and to what degree is it noticeable. Usually, with some kind of local dimming, it can mask clouding, but when playing videogames, you usually deactivate local dimming since it may introduce input lag.

thanks,
post #373 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Any owner can comment on clouding on this set? Anyone has some and to what degree is it noticeable. Usually, with some kind of local dimming, it can mask clouding, but when playing videogames, you usually deactivate local dimming since it may introduce input lag.

thanks,

This was a concern for me, because I have an older samsung and sony which both have clouding issues, and it really bothers me when I'm watching a dark movie. First, let me say that I am VERY satisfied with the 55NX810. Second, there is some very slight (very slight) clouding on my NX810.

I watched Alien on blu-ray, which is a very dark movie, specifically to look for clouding and flashlight issues. For 99% of the movie, I was very impressed. No flashlights were visible in the black bars above and below the image. No flashlights or clouding were visible in any of the star fields or space scenes. Honestly, it was stunning to look at.

I noticed faint clouding in the middle 1/3 of the screen at a couple of different points when Dallas (Tom Skerritt) enters the ventilation shafts to flush the Alien out. The only light, initially comes from the flamethrower he's carrying, and the rest of the screen is supposed to be completely black. I also noticed it at a couple points when the crew was using the computer, and letters were the only things displayed on the screen. It was faint, and I think I may be able to minimize the clouds even more.

I had the backlight set at 3, auto dimming (or whatever Sony calls it) set at standard, gamma was at 0, and brightness was at 47. I intend to mess with the settings to see if I can further minimize, or even eliminate the clouds altogether - without negatively affecting picture quality. Even if I am unable to fix this issue, I am very satisfied with this TV. With the above settings in a dark room, the black bars were completely black. It was fantastic.
post #374 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLY5 View Post

This was a concern for me, because I have an older samsung and sony which both have clouding issues, and it really bothers me when I'm watching a dark movie. First, let me say that I am VERY satisfied with the 55NX810. Second, there is some very slight (very slight) clouding on my NX810.

I watched Alien on blu-ray, which is a very dark movie, specifically to look for clouding and flashlight issues. For 99% of the movie, I was very impressed. No flashlights were visible in the black bars above and below the image. No flashlights or clouding were visible in any of the star fields or space scenes. Honestly, it was stunning to look at.

I noticed faint clouding in the middle 1/3 of the screen at a couple of different points when Dallas (Tom Skerritt) enters the ventilation shafts to flush the Alien out. The only light, initially comes from the flamethrower he's carrying, and the rest of the screen is supposed to be completely black. I also noticed it at a couple points when the crew was using the computer, and letters were the only things displayed on the screen. It was faint, and I think I may be able to minimize the clouds even more.

I had the backlight set at 3, auto dimming (or whatever Sony calls it) set at standard, gamma was at 0, and brightness was at 47. I intend to mess with the settings to see if I can further minimize, or even eliminate the clouds altogether - without negatively affecting picture quality. Even if I am unable to fix this issue, I am very satisfied with this TV. With the above settings in a dark room, the black bars were completely black. It was fantastic.

Check your eco settings, do you have the light sensor on or off?
post #375 of 6628 Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just received my 60" NX810, and I am having a problem with the stand It may just be something wrong with the way I installed it, so some input would be appreciated.

When the screw that holds the TV to the stand is tightened, I can't swivel the TV. If I loosen the screw, the set swivels with no problem. Am I missing something

Any help would be appreciated.
post #376 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmichael View Post

I know many of you guys aren't real happy with the separate wired 3D Emitter and would rather it be built into the bezel. It's a valid point for aesthetic reasons because it avoids clutter and another ugly cable.

But, there are some great advantages to the NX810's separate, movable 3D emitter:

1. In my installation, it's a necessity because my TV bezel will be covered by a decorative wood frame which would block the signal from a built-in 3D emitter. I can hide the emitter's cable in the wall and put the emitter where I want it and where it works well.

2. I think I remember hearing on a different thread that Sony's separate 3D emitter transmits a stronger signal than the built-in version. I'd love to see a test on this! I wonder what the maximum transmission distance is for both types.

3. Since the NX810 emitter is movable, you can adjust it so that it works well wherever you sit in the room.

4. You can hide it when you're not using it.

5.TV's like the NX810 tend to be less expensive than the ones with built-in emitters.

So look on the bright side!

Another advantage of the removable emitter might be that it would be easier to replace if newer technology were to come along.

Here's a photo of the 40" Mitsubishi CRT set that has been a dear friend for quite a few years and still has a great picture. I gave it to a neighbor who I'm sure will be very happy with it.

Below is my new 55NX810 installed on the old base, after a coat of gloss black paint.

I must say that I am delighted with everything about it except the audio. I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade to fix it, if that is possible, or a new set of speakers. Any suggestions? As I have said before, I don't think that the optional speaker stand would look very good sticking out both sides of the base, and I am getting quite attached to the swivel feature of the standard base.
post #377 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: See this post for updated information.

Anyone using a Hi-Def TiVo, or any other device connected to the NX810 directly via HDMI cable?

I noticed that approximately 7 out of 10 times, using a TiVo S3, I hear a pop coming from the TV's right speaker, at the beginning of a recorded program - right before recording's dialog kicks in. It also happened when switching from TiVo Central to Live TV (and a couple of other places) but playing a recording is the most reliable way to reproduce the pop. The TiVo is connected directly via HDMI to the NX810 (I also tried switching HDMI inputs with no luck).

After changing every setting I could think of, I finally changed the audio output on the TiVo from Dolby Digital to PCM, and the pop stopped - completely.

I never had this problem with the previous Sony LCD that was hooked up to this TiVo (same cable). I also don't get this problem in the other room with my SXRD, and TWO TiVos hooked up via HDMI.

Will someone try and duplicate this situation, and let me know if you get the same thing. Just pressing play on a recorded show, and allowing the video and sound to appear on-screen is enough to make this happen. As I said, it happened 7 out of 10 times.

Thanks!
post #378 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

My (hopefully) last concern is that the black plastic that covers the back of the display, does not sit totally flush to the back of the edge-to-edge panel. This is near the controls in the bottom right corner of the TV. You have to look at it from the side to notice it. The reason I noticed it is that when I walked into the room, I saw a small white light coming from the area. Upon closer inspection, and as I stated above, I noticed that the back bezel wasn't flush against the back of the screen. I can actually see metal in the gap that exists.

I am going to try an post two pictures, one of the small light leakage, and another of the actual gap. It's hard to photograph!

I see that there are a couple of similar gaps in different places around the perimeter of the TV, but they are very small gaps compared to the one I am concerned about.

Is this "separation" fairly common / normal to this type of panel, or is it something that I should ask Sony to send me a new TV over?

Below: Simply a pic of the light coming through the side of the set where the separation is:

Below: A pic of one of the areas that is separated between the back bezel, and the screen. The metal that appears silver is actually a "copper" color in real life.

post #379 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:

I'll check the eco settings this evening.
post #380 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbean View Post

I just received my 55NX810 bundle from US appliance this morning. The box was pretty beat up, I almost refused it but didn't want to wait for a replacement. I set it up and it looks great, no damage found (thank god!). I just watched Alice in 3D through the PS3 that came in the bundle (after upgrading the firmware to 3.5). The PS3 runs through my Onkyo TX-808 and then to the TV with high speed HDMI. Everything works, passing the 3D works perfect.
I have one question, I didn't get any paperwork with the TV. I am aware of the I-manual, but nothing was in the box. No quick set up guide, no warranty card, no manual, no micro soft cloth, nothing. Just the TV remote and stand. I want to register my TV at Sony and get the free 3D movies and 4 3D game downloads. I wall mounted the TV and can't read the back of the unit with out taking it down and I assume I need the Serial number to register it. Can I find the serial number on the I manual?? Maybe on the box?

Thanks,
Mike

I found the serial number on the lower right corner on the back. I was able to take a picture of it by sliding my camera behind the tv.
I registered with sony and the 2 free movies are on their way, but how do I get the 4 free 3D PS3 games?

Hello all. New to the forum and it has been a great resource!

I too ordered the NX810 bundle from US appliance and it is supposed to be here friday via ABF freight. I too was concerned about the TV surviving freight shipment so I called US appliance. I spoke with them and they stated the percentage of undamaged sets wasn't perfect but was livable. They also claimed my set would be band strapped to a pallet to assure it stayed in the upright position and prevented the box from getting tossed around. Sounded good so I ordered it...Concerned to hear that someone else got a beat up box from US appliance.

I'll keep everybody posted. I guess if it shows up sans pallet and beat to **** I will probably refuse delivery....wish me luck...

Andy
post #381 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone take a photo of the BACK of the NX810 ? (or direct me to a link, if it has already been posted)
I need to see if my BDI Avion floating mount will work with this set. THANKS

Edit: 55NX810
post #382 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchi View Post

Can someone take a photo of the BACK of the NX810 ? (or direct me to a link, if it has already been posted)
I need to see if my BDI Avion floating mount will work with this set. THANKS

It will depend on the size of the display. You can find the VESA specs at SonyStyle and compare those to the VESA specs of your mount.
post #383 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

Hello, new guy here so i ordered the 55NX810 from US Appliance as well, i should have it by the end of next week, i have an older receiver the Sony HT-SS2000 3 HDMI inputs one output, from what i've been reading it won't work with my new tv, i was looking into upgrading the receiver to this one Sony STR-DH710 but i also heard that getting a 3d blu ray player with dual HDMI inputs will do the job, i just want to have one cable running from the tv to the receiver any suggestions? what should i do?
post #384 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM

I ordered my 55 inch KDL NX810 from sonystyle and it is set to arrive sometime next week. I plan on getting the TV professionally calibrated but wanted to know what some other owners are using for their settings so I can play with the TV while im waiting for it to be calibrated. I know their are settings on tweaktv.com but wanted to know what others were using.

Thanks in advance!!
post #385 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic View Post
I ordered my 55 inch KDL NX810 from sonystyle and it is set to arrive sometime next week. I plan on getting the TV professionally calibrated but wanted to know what some other owners are using for their settings so I can play with the TV while im waiting for it to be calibrated. I know their are settings on tweaktv.com but wanted to know what others were using.

Thanks in advance!!
me too.
post #386 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

thanks,
I have clouding over I'd say 40% of my screen, however not noticeable at all during regular watching, can see slightly on dark scenes only, not a big concern. just don't let it bother me as theres nothing I can do about it and is not noticeable 90 % of the time.
post #387 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
The light sensor was on. I've since turned it off and lowered the backlight to one. I raised gamma to 0 and lowered brightness to 45. This hasn't quite eliminated the issue, but I find these settings to be the most pleasing for watching blu-ray.
post #388 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM

My dog leads me to believe that he wants a pair of 3-D glasses too.

post #389 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGLY5 View Post
The light sensor was on. I've since turned it off and lowered the backlight to one. I raised gamma to 0 and lowered brightness to 45. This hasn't quite eliminated the issue, but I find these settings to be the most pleasing for watching blu-ray.
Yeah i noticed with it on it makes the picture much darker/duller and i didnt like it. This TV seems VERY bright compared to most other LED's ive seen once the light sensor is off. In a way its good because it creates more pop, but the black levels suffer.

I think a backlight of 1-2 with brightness at 50 is perfect with the light sensor off. This is the best ive seen this set look so far.
post #390 of 6628 Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any feedback regarding any of my posts listed below?

Stand / Swivel

Dolby Digital Popping Noise
UPDATE: Sony blames it on the STB. See here.

Poor assembly?

I'm hoping some owners can chime in
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl60nx810 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx810 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx810 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led , Sony 60 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Xbr60lx900
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page