Official Sony Bravia KDL NX810 owners' thread (60NX810, 55NX810, 46NX810) - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1561 of 6620 Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Member
 
jctlog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

What did he set your gamma at?

Question was answered. Gamma at 0 and backlight at 4. Use gamma to adjust the brightness to your needs, keep the backlight as low as possible.
jctlog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1562 of 6620 Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe some people reported about a small black dot ... and Sony has to come out to replace something to fix it. You might want to search through the whole thread again

Contact Tigerdirect and see what they can do...otherwise, you might need to work with Sony. I know Amazon has a very good 30 days exchange policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk79 View Post
Hi I recently bought the 55nx810 from tigerdirect. I notice on middle left corner of the screen a small black smudge. I'm not sure if it is a dead pixel because it doesn't seem like it. And I try cleaning the screen but it didn't come off. It's not noticeable when the picture has color but when screen is white u can see it. Should I call for a replacement from tigerdirect and will they allow it?
MySassyGirl is offline  
post #1563 of 6620 Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine is at .29 as well.

Earlier today, the internet was working for for the widget and youtube. I took my laptop to my entertainment room and turned on the TV. I noticed my widget came up, but it lost it's connection. So, I decided to scan my wireless again on the TV, but it failed for some reason. But, my wireless laptop was still working....and soon later on, I noticed that I lost my wireless connection on the laptop. Rebooting the laptop didn't help establish my internet connection for the laptop. So, I decided to unplug my router power for 10 minutes...and my wireless laptop started working again.

So, I'm wondering if TV wireless is causing my wireless router to fail For the 2-3 weeks of owning this TV, my wireless router failed twice already that I had to power it off.

Now, I'm looking different ways to be wired now...I'm not too happy with my wireless setup right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_aeryn View Post
Earlier when I was talking about how my set connected to the internet once, this is the version it downloaded. I was on the phone with Sony support today, and the guy insisted that .029AAS was a code and not the right firmware version (or something, I honestly couldn't understand what he was saying) after I pointed out that 29 was a higher number than 24. He insisted that 24 was the correct version, but it also sounded like he was looking things up on the public website so I'm inclined not to believe him. In any case they're having a technician come out and look so I'll post if there's a successful resolution to the no internet problem in case anyone else reading is having the same issue.
MySassyGirl is offline  
post #1564 of 6620 Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Member
 
VoodooVyper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drift King View Post
SOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm back.

So my TV has cloading right. Theres a lot when the TV is in a Full black screen. But when local dimming is on you dont notice it at all. Now this is the only problem I have with the TV. No flashing, dead pixels, nothing.

Sonystyle said I can return it tomorrow for a new one no questions asked.

What do you guys think? Should I exchange it and risk getting a more messed up TV?
I'd say don't return it. You'll most likely have clouding on the new set and will have to enable Dynamic LED anyways. I had two sets in a row that had a dead pixel, which you can't do anything to mask.

Home Theater (Updated 12/15/2010)
VoodooVyper is offline  
post #1565 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Member
 
williamkusumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scovarrubias23 View Post
I got my TV calibrated by a THX certified professional here in California (Rayjr on the AVS forum). Anyways here are my settings, their are a couple of things that I changed, I'll let you know what those are at the end.

Picture Mode: Custom
Picture: 76
Brightness: 50
Color: 52
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: Min
Everything else: Off

Advanced Settings:
White Balance (this is the big one)
R-Gain:-8
G-Gain:0
B-Gain:-11
R-Bias:+5
G-Bias:-1
B-Bias:+6

Things I changed:
Color Temperature: Neutral (I personally dont like the yellowish tone)
Motionflow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto 2
LED Dynamic Limited: Standard (I didn't like the clouding I was getting with it off. Blacks look even better and I haven't noticed any detail being lost)

This setting are for a darker room, I hope this helps some of you. I know how it felt looking for settings and not being able to find anything.
I tried this and the picture quality was so washed out until I realized I had the ambient light sensor turned on... Now all's good, many thanks for this!

I do prefer Black Corrector, Adv. Contrast Enhancer and Live Color set to Low. My backlight is set to 2.

Warning: Surgeon General has determined that time spent listening to music is not deducted from lifespan.
williamkusumo is offline  
post #1566 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkusumo View Post
I tried this and the picture quality was so washed out until I realized I had the ambient light sensor turned on... Now all's good, many thanks for this!

I do prefer Black Corrector, Adv. Contrast Enhancer and Live Color set to Low. My backlight is set to 2.

This set really should ship with the ambient light sensor off. Is there anyone here that prefers the picture with the sensor set to "on"?
DCIFRTHS is offline  
post #1567 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Feralhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post
Mine is at .29 as well.

Earlier today, the internet was working for for the widget and youtube. I took my laptop to my entertainment room and turned on the TV. I noticed my widget came up, but it lost it's connection. So, I decided to scan my wireless again on the TV, but it failed for some reason. But, my wireless laptop was still working....and soon later on, I noticed that I lost my wireless connection on the laptop. Rebooting the laptop didn't help establish my internet connection for the laptop. So, I decided to unplug my router power for 10 minutes...and my wireless laptop started working again.

So, I'm wondering if TV wireless is causing my wireless router to fail For the 2-3 weeks of owning this TV, my wireless router failed twice already that I had to power it off.

Now, I'm looking different ways to be wired now...I'm not too happy with my wireless setup right now.
I just tried it wired. The connection according to the TV is fine. However, none of the "widgets" (Yahoo News, Facebook, etc) seem to function. At least they don't function in the time I'm going to give them to react. The spinning circle is lovely and everything but with a PS3, PC, android phone and a laptop right here I'll not waste a lot of time trying to make these work. I'd like them to work but I have to pick my battles.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver......
Feralhog is offline  
post #1568 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah. I"m not too worry about the TV internet. I don't use it at all. However, I would like to get the PS3 and my laptop wired through that room.

That's good to know that the widget doesn't work properly even with wired connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralhog View Post

I just tried it wired. The connection according to the TV is fine. However, none of the "widgets" (Yahoo News, Facebook, etc) seem to function. At least they don't function in the time I'm going to give them to react. The spinning circle is lovely and everything but with a PS3, PC, android phone and a laptop right here I'll not waste a lot of time trying to make these work. I'd like them to work but I have to pick my battles.

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #1569 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Newbie
 
TJD33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJD33 View Post

While watching Conan O'Brien last night on my two week old 55nx810, I noticed what looked like a dark smudge on his forehead during an up-close shot The only problem was the smudge wasn't moving with him. After trying to clean the spot off the glass (I thought it was a fingerprint... about the size of a nickel) and a further investigation (viewing other channels, DVDs, PS3), it looks like it's an issue with my panel.

I called Sony support this morning and went through the typical troubleshooting of turning the TV off, disconnecting the power for 1 minute, restarting, then doing a reset. The tech then said it looks like I need a replacement panel and I scheduled a service call for tomorrow morning.

As I mentioned above, the TV is only 2 weeks old. I purchased it from Amazon on Black Friday with the Alice/PS3 bundle deal so I decided to contact them about the issue as well since I am within the 30 day return period. I quickly got through to a CS rep and explained my problem. I told him I spoke with Sony and they wanted to send someone out to replace the panel. I explained I was unhappy with a repair and not what I expected in a brand new TV. He proceeded to do a little typing in a the background and then told me he's scheduled a shipment of a replacement TV and the carrier will pick up the defective one upon delivery.

I must say, I was a little leery of buying the TV online in case of any issues, but the way Amazon has handled this is truly amazing. It was a quick 5 minute phone call to a US based CS rep that was obviously really nice and helpful... The order is is already showing in my account with an estimated delivery of December 20.

Now I just need to cancel the Sony authorized service call for tomorrow!

An update to my ordeal that started back on 12/17 (page 45 here)... My new replacement TV was delivered this morning. The delivery guys from CEVA were great, they unpacked the new TV, helped me take the bad one off the wall, packed it up, and even helped me put up the new one. New TV looks good and so far no noticeable black spots. Merry Christmas!
TJD33 is offline  
post #1570 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sbx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockland County, NY - 10952
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

Mine is at .29 as well.

Earlier today, the internet was working for for the widget and youtube. I took my laptop to my entertainment room and turned on the TV. I noticed my widget came up, but it lost it's connection. So, I decided to scan my wireless again on the TV, but it failed for some reason. But, my wireless laptop was still working....and soon later on, I noticed that I lost my wireless connection on the laptop. Rebooting the laptop didn't help establish my internet connection for the laptop. So, I decided to unplug my router power for 10 minutes...and my wireless laptop started working again.

So, I'm wondering if TV wireless is causing my wireless router to fail For the 2-3 weeks of owning this TV, my wireless router failed twice already that I had to power it off.

Now, I'm looking different ways to be wired now...I'm not too happy with my wireless setup right now.

I had a similar problem with my router freezing intermittantly. I ended up buying a netgear N. So far so good. I'd recommend trying a new router. Can't see how a wireless signal from your TV would hose the router...not that this will solve the widget problem which sounds really odd. BTW - I think fix 29 is for Sony's QRIOCITY or whatever they call it.

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
sbx007 is offline  
post #1571 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sbx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockland County, NY - 10952
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

I played the 3D demo disc with the football game....that was amazing...I thought I was sitting in the stand or standing on the sideline. My next project is to re-wire my cable connection to the entertainment room for the DirecTV.

As for DirecTV, i'm happy with the PQ...reception..HD...recorder..etc. You get free installation throughout your home....HD receivers, etc...can't beat that...

For those who said 3D isn't all that...well...to me...it's all that much of a difference 3D is the future

Really?? ....That's one of the reasons most of us buy these TV's. Isn't it?? I was told there'd be a lot of content around x-mas time. Well, its x-mas. If you have directv you can watch a good basketball game tommorow. If you got cablevision you get no 3d content at all. Maybe I shoulda watched MJ before selling it??.. Nah...

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
sbx007 is offline  
post #1572 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sbx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockland County, NY - 10952
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking at sonystyledotcom right now(USA). The 60nx810 is still the same price it was back in October except you don't get the 3-d kit and the installation so it's actually more money. Then I looked at nextag..same thing..no price change for the 60nx810. Can someone point me to these price drops on the 60nx810 I keep hearing about? - thx.

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
sbx007 is offline  
post #1573 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
bonscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Carmichael,Ca
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

This set really should ship with the ambient light sensor off. Is there anyone here that prefers the picture with the sensor set to "on"?

Of course it should ship with it on. If it dosn't work or improve the pq why even have. I know its personal preferance on how the picture looks but why pay alot more for all the whistles and bells on this tv and then just turn everything off. Why not just buy a cheaper model that dosn't have any of this stuff.
bonscott is offline  
post #1574 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
kpdillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am enjoying my new KDL55NX810. This replaces my KDL52XBR4 that I absolutely loved purchased 2 years ago. It was starting to go. I hope this one lasts longer. Good thing I got the extended warranty on the XBR4.

kpdillon is offline  
post #1575 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's a lovely setting...looks warm and homie which wall mount did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdillon View Post

I am enjoying my new KDL55NX810. This replaces my KDL52XBR4 that I absolutely loved purchased 2 years ago. It was starting to go. I hope this one lasts longer. Good thing I got the extended warranty on the XBR4.


MySassyGirl is offline  
post #1576 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
kpdillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

That's a lovely setting...looks warm and homie which wall mount did you use?

Thanks MySassyGirl! It's a pretty generic wall mount that I got thrown in 2 years ago when I bought the XBR4. It doesn't swivel or do anything fancy but it is pretty adjustable. If I remember correctly the wall mount manufacturer started with an S. I do recall that I originally tried a Sony wallmount but I couldn't get it perfectly centered based on where the studs were positioned.
kpdillon is offline  
post #1577 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Member
 
swixtwix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

I never knew about this I might get one or two

What's your opinion of it?

I use Powerline AV Ethernet adapters as well and find them performing better than my wireless 802.11n (40mhz). Still can't stream 1080p, but when accessing netflix I reliably get their HD content if available. In my case, the wireless signal could weaker due to my laundry room partially in the way... my 60nx810 (mounted on the wall) signal is stronger than my bdp-S570 which is in my media cabinet.

Make sure to get the AV rated powerline kits which can support up to 200mbps... vs other kits that only reach 85mbps or something like that. Unlikely to meet the 200mbps specs, but should get about 50mbps real-world throughput. Get filters for the big appliances in the house also. I use the D-Link kit.

Good luck!
swixtwix is offline  
post #1578 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Member
 
swixtwix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion33 View Post

Just waiting and watching as the prices on the 55 and 60 slowly decline. Sooo bitter as I just want to pull the trigger, but I'm hoping the 60 continues to drop and i can get it in my budget range. The fact that waiting is saving me money is a nice relief, but man I need a new TV!

Not sure if this was mentioned, but retail Sony stores had a nice sale at the end of the year... 60"NX810 for $3300 which I thought was a pretty good deal, can't remember the 55" cost (similar to tigerdirect deal). Anyway, I waited a week hoping they would sellout. They didn't, so I pulled the trigger. Figured I was "destined" to have the unit. Couldn't be happier with the TV so far. Watched Christmas Carol in 3D the first night (unboxed sitting on the floor), pretty nice... better than what I expected to be honest.

Can't believe the people complaining about the sound from the TV. You would think a TV like this deserves a decent HT sound system. The more speakers and subwoofers the merrier. Come on folks. I don't want Sony investing time on built-in speaker technology.

Merry X-mas!
Ken
swixtwix is offline  
post #1579 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Newbie
 
Sorce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^Frankly, I know people have certain standards regarding sound but the built-in speakers weren't as gawd awful as I expected. I think the speakers are designed to reverberate off of the wall. My sound was exactly what I would expect from factory speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyenceLabb View Post

Anyone played Motorstorm yet in 3D on PS3? So far, when it comes to 3D implementation, Motorstorm has done the best job, from the games I've played so far. GT5 3D only stands out when you are in the "in-car" view, and the 3D effect in Black Ops is horrible, IMO

I've played it. It is craaazy! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdillon View Post

Thanks MySassyGirl! It's a pretty generic wall mount that I got thrown in 2 years ago when I bought the XBR4. It doesn't swivel or do anything fancy but it is pretty adjustable. If I remember correctly the wall mount manufacturer started with an S. I do recall that I originally tried a Sony wallmount but I couldn't get it perfectly centered based on where the studs were positioned.

Sanus? I got my mount from them and I am loving it so far.
Sorce is offline  
post #1580 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sbx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockland County, NY - 10952
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralhog View Post

I just tried it wired. The connection according to the TV is fine. However, none of the "widgets" (Yahoo News, Facebook, etc) seem to function. At least they don't function in the time I'm going to give them to react. The spinning circle is lovely and everything but with a PS3, PC, android phone and a laptop right here I'll not waste a lot of time trying to make these work. I'd like them to work but I have to pick my battles.

I'm reading it's the inernet providers obligation to serve up the widgets and handle the communications. Meaning it might work for some providers and not for others. Hence the reason different people w/ different providers get different results.

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
sbx007 is offline  
post #1581 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sbx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rockland County, NY - 10952
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtwix View Post

Not sure if this was mentioned, but retail Sony stores had a nice sale at the end of the year... 60"NX810 for $3300 which I thought was a pretty good deal, can't remember the 55" cost (similar to tigerdirect deal). Anyway, I waited a week hoping they would sellout. They didn't, so I pulled the trigger. Figured I was "destined" to have the unit. Couldn't be happier with the TV so far. Watched Christmas Carol in 3D the first night (unboxed sitting on the floor), pretty nice... better than what I expected to be honest.

Can't believe the people complaining about the sound from the TV. You would think a TV like this deserves a decent HT sound system. The more speakers and subwoofers the merrier. Come on folks. I don't want Sony investing time on built-in speaker technology.

Merry X-mas!
Ken

That's a good deal. a grand less than sonystyle, but when you add in the 400.00 bundle and the installation @ 189.00, it amounts to a 300 dollar difference. Good luck w/ it and enjoy!!. When paying 2-4K for a TV one should get decent sound quality.. I've had Sonys w/ great sound, no need for expensive research. Include that bushin stand. If they can sell it for 99..00 they can include it.
We all have good reason to b**tch about the A.m. radio sound. Hook it up to a bushin stand, soundbar, a/v system and you' won't want to listen to the builtins ever again. They truly do suck.
and a happy NY.

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
sbx007 is offline  
post #1582 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info...I noticed Netgear just released the 500mbps version... After reading up on it...I need to make sure the line is the same from the breaker... I'm no electrician so I'm going to do more research on the powerline. Not sure if I want to go through the attic to get a 100% connection from the router vs. the powerline method...

Question: What if there is an electrical surge and you have the network cable connecting to the router and TV/PS3/etc...does that mean you have a chance of losing all the components attached to it? That's kind of scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtwix View Post

I use Powerline AV Ethernet adapters as well and find them performing better than my wireless 802.11n (40mhz). Still can't stream 1080p, but when accessing netflix I reliably get their HD content if available. In my case, the wireless signal could weaker due to my laundry room partially in the way... my 60nx810 (mounted on the wall) signal is stronger than my bdp-S570 which is in my media cabinet.

Make sure to get the AV rated powerline kits which can support up to 200mbps... vs other kits that only reach 85mbps or something like that. Unlikely to meet the 200mbps specs, but should get about 50mbps real-world throughput. Get filters for the big appliances in the house also. I use the D-Link kit.

Good luck!

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #1583 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Member
 
buxleyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

Question: What if there is an electrical surge and you have the network cable connecting to the router and TV/PS3/etc...does that mean you have a chance of losing all the components attached to it? That's kind of scary.

Use a high quality UPS/line-conditioner/surge that supports RJ-45/coax connections, and filter all your connections through that before reaching any AV equipment.
buxleyp is offline  
post #1584 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks...just looked at my Panamax 5400PM back and it has 2 available jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxleyp View Post

Use a high quality UPS/line-conditioner/surge that supports RJ-45/coax connections, and filter all your connections through that before reaching any AV equipment.

MySassyGirl is offline  
post #1585 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
LCDSareKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtwix View Post

Not sure if this was mentioned, but retail Sony stores had a nice sale at the end of the year... 60"NX810 for $3300 which I thought was a pretty good deal, can't remember the 55" cost (similar to tigerdirect deal). Anyway, I waited a week hoping they would sellout. They didn't, so I pulled the trigger. Figured I was "destined" to have the unit. Couldn't be happier with the TV so far. Watched Christmas Carol in 3D the first night (unboxed sitting on the floor), pretty nice... better than what I expected to be honest.

Can't believe the people complaining about the sound from the TV. You would think a TV like this deserves a decent HT sound system. The more speakers and subwoofers the merrier. Come on folks. I don't want Sony investing time on built-in speaker technology.

Merry X-mas!
Ken

Ken, spot on with the speaker comment. The weakness does need to be mentioned, just so the naive folk don't assume they are getting a "10". So we serve the nx810 a nice slice of humble pie so people know that they should pair a nice surround or LCR. Truthfully while I realize the speakers may be lacking a little they are serviceable.
LCDSareKING is offline  
post #1586 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Member
 
swixtwix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

thanks...just looked at my Panamax 5400PM back and it has 2 available jacks

Just For clarification, the powerline adapter needs to plug directly into the wall and not through a surge protector or line conditioner. Plug the ethernet cable into an ethernet hub to support more than one device (i.e. blu-ray, tv, ps3, xbox, atv, htpc...). If you do have a surge, the adapter will probably be lost...

if you can run direct Cat5/6 cable from your router, that would be the best. Unfortunately, I'd have to rip through a bunch of drywall to accomplish that. Superflat ethernet cable might work for me with some spackle...
swixtwix is offline  
post #1587 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Member
 
swixtwix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSareKING View Post


Ken, spot on with the speaker comment. The weakness does need to be mentioned, just so the naive folk don't assume they are getting a "10". So we serve the nx810 a nice slice of humble pie so people know that they should pair a nice surround or LCR. Truthfully while I realize the speakers may be lacking a little they are serviceable.

Yeah... Wonder how the same folks would feel if they got a Kuro or XBR without speakers at all.
swixtwix is offline  
post #1588 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Member
 
buxleyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtwix View Post

Just For clarification, the powerline adapter needs to plug directly into the wall and not through a surge protector or line conditioner. Plug the ethernet cable into an ethernet hub to support more than one device (i.e. blu-ray, tv, ps3, xbox, atv, htpc...). If you do have a surge, the adapter will probably be lost...

We're talking about filtering the Cat5/6 from the powerline adapter, not the power for the powerline adapter itself.
buxleyp is offline  
post #1589 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Newbie
 
delje08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
excited, had an old sony kdf-60XS955 with optical block issue. Called Sony about issue, with back and forth calls and emails their final offer to me was a KDL-60NX810 for $888 + plus tax. shipped.
delje08 is offline  
post #1590 of 6620 Old 12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
LCDSareKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swixtwix View Post

Yeah... Wonder how the same folks would feel if they got a Kuro or XBR without speakers at all.

They would act like a "wet hen". LOL
LCDSareKING is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl60nx810 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx810 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx810 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led , Sony 60 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Xbr60lx900
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off