Official Sony Bravia KDL NX810 owners' thread (60NX810, 55NX810, 46NX810) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is the PIP Feature?
I purchased the magnificent 55NX810 last Saturday. I have no complaints about the picture quality. It's fantastic in both 2D and 3D.

But I see an annoying problem:

I CAN NOT ACCESS THE PIP (picture in picture) FUNCTION.
According to the i-Manual, to access PIP, you go to Options then to PIP while watching air or cable TV. Surprisingly, the PIP setting does not appear anywhere in Options! I couldn't find it in the HOME menu either. I tried finding it in Options with different inputs on the screen: HDMI, Component, TV, and PC (with an HDMI connection). Still no success. It's almost as if this TV does not have PIP. Do any of you owners have PIP on this set?

John Carmichael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
my 55nx810 even wobbles at the top with the new optional Bushin TV stand that basically supports the entire bottom edge of the TV. It wobbled about the same with the standard TV stand that comes in the box. I guess these TVs are just too big to be steadfast sturdy

Don
SW Florida area
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbx007 View Post

With what? the 55nx810?. 60nx810 I'm not seeing that. It looks fine from any angle. No wash outs, just great quality picture from any source. I see no flashlighting. Perhaps your unit is defective?

55nx810, watching from approx 3.2m/10feet in a dimmed room (but not completely dark). The TV is wall-mounted, center in the eye level of a seated person. Bright content is ok but dark scenes reveal that the black in the corners and near the sides is lighter. If you move slightly to the left or right the effect amplifies. When walking around the TV - i.e. watching from above (+2-3 feet) and/or from an angle (>30°) the black is no more black, its rather grey and the picture contrast, even in bright scenes, is visibly reduced.

Backlight: 4-5, Picture: Max, Brightness: 50, LED Control - Min or Standard, off is even worse as the backlight is then constantly on.

I'd say it's typical for an LCD, just didn't expect it to be so much pronounced. Honestly, it's hard to beleive any LCD would have a great picture from an angle greater than, say, 45 degrees.

Can you please confirm that your tv has the same picture quality even in the circumstances which I described above?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitore View Post

55nx810, watching from approx 3.2m/10feet in a dimmed room (but not completely dark). The TV is wall-mounted, center in the eye level of a seated person. Bright content is ok but dark scenes reveal that the black in the corners and near the sides is lighter. If you move slightly to the left or right the effect amplifies. When walking around the TV - i.e. watching from above (+2-3 feet) and/or from an angle (>30°) the black is no more black, its rather grey and the picture contrast, even in bright scenes, is visibly reduced.

Backlight: 4-5, Picture: Max, Brightness: 50, LED Control - Min or Standard, off is even worse as the backlight is then constantly on.

I'd say it's typical for an LCD, just didn't expect it to be so much pronounced. Honestly, it's hard to beleive any LCD would have a great picture from an angle greater than, say, 45 degrees.

Can you please confirm that your tv has the same picture quality even in the circumstances which I described above?

Although I do not have this Panel [yet] I can confirm by looking at several in diff't lighting conditions that this is unfortunately normal - I'm sure others will weight in here as well. That is why I've been waiting to purchase this panel; it's very-very good but because of it's limitations I think the purchase price [for the 60" anyway] needs to be right around $3K. What gets me is that if you read the past article(s) on the OptiContrast panels, I thought that the issues of back light bleed, and contrast fall off axis was suppose to be greatly improved, when in reality it seems worse then some other previous models.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitore View Post

I had a hx701 and had similar issues, espicially with view angle from an upward position or 20 degree or more off dead center. Unfortunately, this is due to the Samsung pannel used in the TV.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks guys for sharing your experience - I feel a little bit better if it's likely not just my faulty set though it would be much better if someone could finally make LCDs able to compete with plasmas in this regard.
Picture usually looks much better in the shop under bright lights and running the shop-mode with all the insane picture adjustments but only at home you find out how the TV really performs
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmichael View Post

You are correct. The stand is not real great. The TV does wobble with the slightest touch, and on mine, the left side droops down about 1/2".

I can't wait to get it mounted on the wall. It scares me that it wobbles so much!

Geez. Did you put it together yourself?. the base on my 60nx810 is pretty sturdy, I would not give it a wrap, or try and knock it over, but sony-guy even put a level on the stand the TV base was put on then a level when set up. Yes, if you touch the sides it will wobble a bit but nothing like what I'm hearing. Not doubting anyone, just letting you know the 60nx810 on the 21-1/8 x 15 inch base it comes with is pretty sturdy for my case. In fact the dog runs into it all the time as she races to bark out the window..hasn't knocked over..(yet).

60nx810 | htfs-470 | BX-58 | PS3 | SA 8300HD STB
Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

This may help
http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

Outstanding! - thanks a lot. Great read!
Sony-guy was right.. 1.4 it is w/ethernet! yes!..

High Speed HDMI Cable
The High Speed HDMI cable is designed and tested to handle video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies such as 4K, 3D, and Deep Color. If you are using any of these technologies, or if you are connecting your 1080p display to a 1080p content source, such as a Blu-ray Disc player, this is the recommended cable.

High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet
This cable type offers the same baseline performance as the High Speed HDMI Cable shown above (1080p video resolution and beyond), plus an additional, dedicated data channel, known as the HDMI Ethernet Channel, for device networking. HDMI Ethernet Channel functionality is only available if both linked devices are HDMI Ethernet Channel-enabled.

Thanks for the link!!

Visit our settings page:
(SETTINGS ONLY!!) Sony Bravia KDL NX810 @ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1312645
Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

my 55nx810 even wobbles at the top with the new optional Bushin TV stand that basically supports the entire bottom edge of the TV. It wobbled about the same with the standard TV stand that comes in the box. I guess these TVs are just too big to be steadfast sturdy

Sorry. I was speaking of the 60 inch kdl60nx810. I really tried to knock this thing. Not really hard, but after seeing the dog whack the stand and seeing reports of wobbly 55"'ers I did a few "tests" on the 60" and really can't see any weakness as far as wobble goes. It's quite firm and sturdy, it would take someone fallin on it lto knock it over is what I'm saying. I think.. that's the 60", I can't say for the 55: like I said. the base is 21 and 1/8" wide and 15" deep. This set won't tip over..(famouse last words).. I hope not anyway. That would really be bad.

Visit our settings page:
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joealbracht View Post

This may help:

What Hasn't Changed:
With all these spec versions around, and equipment and cables having been designed and tested in accordance with one version or another of the spec, it's natural that people worry about the compatibility of equipment and cables. Device compatibility is a complicated subject and is really outside our area of expertise, but when it comes to cables, we can give some reassurance. The basic characteristics of standard HDMI cables have not changed from one spec version to another. They have the same conductors, in the same configuration, wired to the connector in the same manner. There is only one qualification to offer here: with HDMI 1.4 the spec introduced a new optional "Ethernet and Audio Return Channel" feature, which does require slight changes in cable architecture. Because this is an optional feature, however, compliance with the 1.4 specification, in itself, says nothing about whether a compliant HDMI cable will support this feature.
Apart from the Ethernet/Audio Return Channel, what this means is that, in terms of supporting features and protocols (e.g., HDCP, Deep Color, x.v.YCC colorspace, new multichannel audio formats), all HDMI cables have been designed to the same standard, no matter what specification version they were designed or tested under. In other words, if you have a cable which was certified compliant under one spec version, and you now buy a new DVD player which is 1.4 compliant, there is no need to replace your HDMI cable to "upgrade" to the new version. Your cable will go on working.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...s.htm?hdmiinfo

Great cables & they know what they know their business.

Very cool. Thanks for that! one!!, combined w/ the link provided by the other nice poster it makes it all quite simple.. You can't go to wrong wiith HDMI 1.4 cables from costco @ 2/40.00. I bought the right cables AND sony guy ws right. I can swear the TOP HDMI port has ARC written above it. I'll check. - thanks again!

Visit our settings page:
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmichael View Post

Do any of you owners have PIP on this set?

Do these have PIP? I'm concerned because I had read someone stating these 810s did not. The SonyStyle website says differently. I find it unlikely that a top of the line TV would neglect such a common feature, but that may result in me not buying it. I'd like to have the capability to use it as a PC screen and watch TV.

Can anyone confirm that it can display pnp from two different HDMI sources?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Very cool. Thanks for that! one!!, combined w/ the link provided by the other nice poster it makes it all quite simple.. You can't go to wrong wiith HDMI 1.4 cables from costco @ 2/40.00. I bought the right cables AND sony guy ws right. I can swear the TOP HDMI port has ARC written above it. I'll check. - thanks again!

In a pinch, that's not bad, but I swear by Monoprice for my cables... lowest cost, and I've never had a problem. Their HDMI cables boast 3D and ARC support.

Got my shipment notification from US Appliance for my 55NX810, now just waiting for the call from the delivery company...
Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Just ordered 60NX810 at Best Buy in Silver Spring, Maryland! They just got NX's at their Warehouse with earliest delivery date Oct 28th. Getting mine delivered Saturday the 30th! Will post comments after delivery...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Debating between 52 inch xbr vs 55 810

Bedroom should be fine either way ! Personally I am xbr fan. Better warranty too but bigger tv plus all kit kaboodle for same $$$ confuses me!! Decisions!&!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtocolOH View Post

In a pinch, that's not bad, but I swear by Monoprice for my cables... lowest cost, and I've never had a problem. Their HDMI cables boast 3D and ARC support.

Got my shipment notification from US Appliance for my 55NX810, now just waiting for the call from the delivery company...

I really wanted to go cheap w/ the cables, but when I compare the 12 ft 1.4/ethernet cables by wirelogic to the cheapo brands, they're thicker, the connectors more durable.
whasaaaab likes this.

Visit our settings page:
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 PM

Verbiage from Sony Style website:

"For a limited time, save on select BRAVIA® HX800 Dynamic Edge LED backlit 3D HDTVs, plus get a free BDP-S470 3D Blu-ray Disc(TM) player and 3D starter kit which includes two pairs of TDG-BR100/B 3D active glasses and a TMR-BR100 3D sync transmitter (a $549.96 value) with purchase. You'll also get free basic TV installation with purchase."

Sony Style package does not include NX810 series.

At BB, I like dealing with local merchant for purchase this large. Got free delivery and do not need install. Also, I'm a member of BB's Reward Zone and get $20 worth of points for every $250 spent - or almost $350 towards future purchases.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

Did u get white glove free? More so I don't understand advantages of hdmi 1.4 cables ?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGeoff View Post

Do these have PIP? I'm concerned because I had read someone stating these 810s did not. The SonyStyle website says differently. I find it unlikely that a top of the line TV would neglect such a common feature, but that may result in me not buying it. I'd like to have the capability to use it as a PC screen and watch TV.

Can anyone confirm that it can display pnp from two different HDMI sources?

Hi Geoff:

I have tried connections of almost every type. (HDMI & Component from set top box, Air TV from internal tuner, Cable TV from RF cable, and PC w/ HDMI. (I did not try PC with VGA or Composite from set top box however). I also auto-programed the air TV and Cable channels. I turned the TV off then on. Nothing works. PIP still does not appear in the Options list. I now think that PIP is not available on this set as advertised by Sony. I hope at least one of you actual owners can prove me wrong. Does PIP work for any of you NX810 owners?

John Carmichael
Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I really wanted to go cheap w/ the cables, but when I compare the 12 ft 1.4/ethernet cables by wirelogic to the cheapo brands, they're thicker, the connectors more durable.

Well, Monoprice makes the thicker cables, too, see further down the page... their standard 28-gauge ones go to 10ft long, but for bigger runs, they go all the way to 24ga. I have some of their bigger gauge HDMI-to-DVI cables (might be 26ga instead of 24ga, still pretty beefy), and there's nothing flimsy about them.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Did u get white glove free? More so I don't understand advantages of hdmi 1.4 cables ?

No, I paid $90 for white-glove instead of threshold delivery.

The whole HDMI version thing is confusing, I'll grant you. I actually find the Wikipedia article pretty illuminating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

Bottom line, an HDMI 1.3-compliant cable (which they've been making for years now) can do everything that an "HDMI 1.4" cable can, with the possible exception of the Ethernet-over-HDMI channel (see pins 14 and 19 of the connector). A "High Speed HDMI" cable is simply rated to handle the added bandwidth needs to push full-resolution 3D video and such. So, an "HDMI 1.4" cable is ensured to have a working Ethernet channel, and is up to the task of carrying 3D content, that's all.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Well, Monoprice makes the thicker cables, too, see further down the page... their standard 28-gauge ones go to 10ft long, but for bigger runs, they go all the way to 24ga. I have some of their bigger gauge HDMI-to-DVI cables (might be 26ga instead of 24ga, still pretty beefy), and there's nothing flimsy about them.

I've read the articles and I'm still confused here. I buy my cables at mycablemart.com. Quality stuff, great prices. Monoprice looks good too... maybe I'll try them out one day.

I have an NX810. It's connected to DirecTV via an HR24 DVR with a 1.3b spec HDMI cable. I also have an Apple TV connected to the NX810 with a 1.3b spec HDMI cable. I'm getting a Sony Blu-Ray/ Google Internet TV player as soon as it's off of back-order, so I'll need another cable to connect it to the NX810. I'm also interested in purchasing a Sony Soundbar (CT-350), and assume that will connect with HDMI as well, but I guess I'll figure that out when I get it. I don't have the 3D emitter, and it's not on the top of my "to do" list, but I'd imagine that would take an HDMI cable as well if I decide to add it. Sounds like I may run out of HDMI ports on the TV, but that's another story all together..

Why would I need 1.4a spec HDMI cables? Does any this gear require an "Ethernet" channel? (any examples of what gear necessitates an "Ethernet" channel?) Additionally, am I getting a less than optimal PQ now because I'm running a 1.3b vs. 1.4a spec cable? I'll replace the cables if I need to, but I'm just trying to understand if it's actually necessary.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwolner View Post

I've read the articles and I'm still confused here. I buy my cables at mycablemart.com. Quality stuff, great prices. Monoprice looks good too... maybe I'll try them out one day.

I have an NX810. It's connected to DirecTV via an HR24 DVR with a 1.3b spec HDMI cable. I also have an Apple TV connected to the NX810 with a 1.3b spec HDMI cable. I'm getting a Sony Blu-Ray/ Google Internet TV player as soon as it's off of back-order, so I'll need another cable to connect it to the NX810. I'm also interested in purchasing a Sony Soundbar (CT-350), and assume that will connect with HDMI as well, but I guess I'll figure that out when I get it. I don't have the 3D emitter, and it's not on the top of my "to do" list, but I'd imagine that would take an HDMI cable as well if I decide to add it. Sounds like I may run out of HDMI ports on the TV, but that's another story all together..

Why would I need 1.4a spec HDMI cables? Does any this gear require an "Ethernet" channel? (any examples of what gear necessitates an "Ethernet" channel?) Additionally, am I getting a less than optimal PQ now because I'm running a 1.3b vs. 1.4a spec cable? I'll replace the cables if I need to, but I'm just trying to understand if it's actually necessary.

Thanks!

Monoprice 1.4 cables cost less than $5.00 and they work fine for my 55NX810
As for HDMI connects, if you buy a sound bar that is ARC compliant, you can connect yoiur BluRay to the sound bar HDMI IN port and then connect the soundbar HDMI out port to your TV's HDMI ARC port (the NX810 has 1 ARC HDMI port). Allows you to connect two HDMIs to one port since the ARC function passes HDMI thru to the TV and it passes TV audio back to the soundbar on the same cable!
As for the 3D emitter, that has it own port on the back of the TV and it is NOT one of the four HDMI ports.

For the future, some of the higher priced surround amps accept 2-3 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out so the amp acts like a splitter to the TV, which would allow you to expand the number of HDMI devices beyound the 4 TV inputs.

Don
SW Florida area
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Previous poster addressed the "what connects to what" issues. Regarding picture quality, unless I'm mistaken, cable quality will not affect picture quality -- either the cable is built to handle high-speed data transfer, or it isn't. It's all-digital, so I don't see how a "premium" cable will provide any marginal or significant improvement in PQ. If the link works, it works, you don't need to replace your cable. I suppose that it's possible, if you're using a non-high-speed cable, the system may detect that it can't get a high-speed signal through, and revert to a non-deep-color mode, for instance. I seem to recall in some thread I read recently that someone used their existing HDMI cable to connect their PS3 to the NX810, and the PS3 wouldn't recognize the NX810 as 3D-capable, so he used the Sony-supplied HDMI from the Alice 3D kit, and that worked. My guess is, his old cable wasn't high-speed compatible.

Regarding Ethernet... I don't know what equipment out there employs that today. Be curious to find out.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Previous poster addressed the "what connects to what" issues. Regarding picture quality, unless I'm mistaken, cable quality will not affect picture quality -- either the cable is built to handle high-speed data transfer, or it isn't. It's all-digital, so I don't see how a "premium" cable will provide any marginal or significant improvement in PQ. If the link works, it works, you don't need to replace your cable. I suppose that it's possible, if you're using a non-high-speed cable, the system may detect that it can't get a high-speed signal through, and revert to a non-deep-color mode, for instance. I seem to recall in some thread I read recently that someone used their existing HDMI cable to connect their PS3 to the NX810, and the PS3 wouldn't recognize the NX810 as 3D-capable, so he used the Sony-supplied HDMI from the Alice 3D kit, and that worked. My guess is, his old cable wasn't high-speed compatible.

Regarding Ethernet... I don't know what equipment out there employs that today. Be curious to find out.

Thanks! If I understand correctly, both 1.3b and 1.4a are "High Speed". 1.4a adds an Ethernet channel. I'm getting the feeling I don't need 1.4a, but I read others on the thread that are using it anyway. Not sure there is an added benefit to PQ.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Monoprice 1.4 cables cost less than $5.00 and they work fine for my 55NX810
As for HDMI connects, if you buy a sound bar that is ARC compliant, you can connect yoiur BluRay to the sound bar HDMI IN port and then connect the soundbar HDMI out port to your TV's HDMI ARC port (the NX810 has 1 ARC HDMI port). Allows you to connect two HDMIs to one port since the ARC function passes HDMI thru to the TV and it passes TV audio back to the soundbar on the same cable!
As for the 3D emitter, that has it own port on the back of the TV and it is NOT one of the four HDMI ports.

For the future, some of the higher priced surround amps accept 2-3 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out so the amp acts like a splitter to the TV, which would allow you to expand the number of HDMI devices beyound the 4 TV inputs.

Thanks! Looks like I won't have an issue when I finally pull the trigger on the soundbar.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks! If I understand correctly, both 1.3b and 1.4a are "High Speed". 1.4a adds an Ethernet channel. I'm getting the feeling I don't need 1.4a, but I read others on the thread that are using it anyway. Not sure there is an added benefit to PQ.

Based on the following from http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...mi-cables.html, I'm confused all over again.

It says Ver. 1.4 also introduces support for 3D over HDMI - supporting common 3D formats and resolutions up to 1080p. Supported resolution to up to 4096x2160p24 or 3840x2160 at up to 30Hz.

------------------

HDMI Version 1.3 has brought about significant enhancements to the original HDMI specifications - with the most important being increasing the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz or 10.2 Gbit/s data stream.

It also supports Deep Color with 30-bit 2560x1600p75, 36-bit 2560x1600p60, and 48-bit 1920x1200p60 xvYCC color space compared to the original 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr specified in previous HDMI versions.

Other optional features include output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers; it incorporates automatic audio syncing or auto lip sync capability; and as indicated earlier on, Version 1.3 has brought with it definitions for HDMI Cable categories 1 and 2 - this apart from defining a new mini HDMI connector (Type C) for portable devices.

HDMI versions 1.3a, 1.3b, 1.3b1, and 1.3c mainly updated the list of CEC commands, and added HDMI compliance tests.

HDMI Version 1.4 - released earlier this year - has so far completed the relatively long list of HDMI versions and with it, there came a number of major additions to the already important additions brought about by Version 1.3. The most important additions related to version 1.4 are the addition of a 100 Mb/s HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC) between HDMI connected devices and an increase in the supported resolution to up to 4096x2160p24 or 3840x2160 at up to 30Hz.

In addition, Ver. 1.4 also introduces support for 3D over HDMI - supporting common 3D formats and resolutions up to 1080p, an expanded support for color spaces designed specifically for digital still cameras like sYCC601 and Adobe RGB, an Audio Return Channel for upstream audio transfers over the same HDMI cable, a Micro HDMI Connector - that is almost half the size of a standard 19-pin HDMI connector, sort of equivalent to a mini USB connector, and an Automotive Connection System for better in-vehicle HDMI use.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Based on the following from http://www.practical-home-theater-gu...mi-cables.html, I'm confused all over again.

It says Ver. 1.4 also introduces support for 3D over HDMI - supporting common 3D formats and resolutions up to 1080p. Supported resolution to up to 4096x2160p24 or 3840x2160 at up to 30Hz.

In addition, Ver. 1.4 also introduces support for 3D over HDMI - supporting common 3D formats and resolutions up to 1080p, an expanded support for color spaces designed specifically for digital still cameras like sYCC601 and Adobe RGB, an Audio Return Channel for upstream audio transfers over the same HDMI cable, a Micro HDMI Connector - that is almost half the size of a standard 19-pin HDMI connector, sort of equivalent to a mini USB connector, and an Automotive Connection System for better in-vehicle HDMI use.

You know the old quote-'if you can afford to buy a yaht, then you can affprd to not worry about the fuel costs!' Why not spend $5.00 and buy monoprice hi speed HDMI cables and then you will not have to worry. For my case, I went out and spent $10 and bought two 1.4 cables from monoprice, as I had similar concerns over the cross talk on the forums regarding HDMI cables. These cable are almost as confusing as the difference between the various Sony 3D models!

Don
SW Florida area
Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:

That's correct, that's version 1.4 of the HDMI protocol. As for the cables, those haven't changed. Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

When the HDMI 1.3 spec came out, they realized that for deep color and other things, they were going to need more bandwidth. So they defined Category 1 (normal speed) as all existing cables that could handle 75MHz, and defined Category 2 (high speed) as cables built to handle 340MHz. An "HDMI 1.4 cable" is in all likelihood just a high-speed Category 2 HDMI cable.

So, don't get confused over it. There's nothing special about the cable that's required to support 3D or ARC, it just needs to be high-speed certified.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

You know the old quote-'if you can afford to buy a yaht, then you can affprd to not worry about the fuel costs!' Why not spend $5.00 and buy monoprice hi speed HDMI cables and then you will not have to worry. For my case, I went out and spent $10 and bought two 1.4 cables from monoprice, as I had similar concerns over the cross talk on the forums regarding HDMI cables. These cable are almost as confusing as the difference between the various Sony 3D models!

This is a good point. I have the 1.3b now so it was a question of whether to swap out or not. Screw it. I'm placing an order for a couple 1.4a's. They aren't expensive, and I won't have to think about it ever again... Or at least until the geniuses come out with 1.5.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

That's correct, that's version 1.4 of the HDMI protocol. As for the cables, those haven't changed. Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

When the HDMI 1.3 spec came out, they realized that for deep color and other things, they were going to need more bandwidth. So they defined Category 1 (normal speed) as all existing cables that could handle 75MHz, and defined Category 2 (high speed) as cables built to handle 340MHz. An "HDMI 1.4 cable" is in all likelihood just a high-speed Category 2 HDMI cable.

So, don't get confused over it. There's nothing special about the cable that's required to support 3D or ARC, it just needs to be high-speed certified.

Thanks for the help!

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl60nx810 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx810 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx810 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr52hx909 52 Lcd Tv Direct Led , Sony 60 Inch 3d Led Hdtv Xbr60lx900
Gear in this thread