LG 55LE5500 No picture after firmware update - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thats great to hear d10man. I also bought my 55LE5500 from Conns! They also took immediate care of me when the original set bricked and they got me a new one the next day. I've purchased a few things from Conns and they have always been great to me.

Did you get the free wall mount and Wireless Media Receiver box (LG AN-WL100). Have you figured out what to do with yours because I cant find a real use for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d10man View Post

The LG technician came to my house, turned on the TV, saw the problem, turned off the TV and said, "The mainboard has to be replaced". Great..... He said they didn't have one in stock and the earliest he could get a replacement TV was 7 to 10 days. He had no idea when a new mainboard would become available. So, I called the place where I bought the TV and they immediately said to just box it up, bring it back, and they would give me another one. Boxed it up and took it to them. Came home with a brand new one. It is now hooked up and working great and no, it is NOT hooked up to the internet. Turning off the update feature will be one of the very first things I do.

So, I have a new TV (the other one was only 10 days old). The LG tech told me to call him no matter what the outcome and he would come and hook up his flash drive to the set and upgrade it. I'm not even sure I want to do that at this point.

I do have to say this..... I bought the TV at Conn's Electronics/Appliance. Those people have bent over backward to help me resolve the problem quickly and as painlessly as possible. I will definitely go back to them when I'm looking for appliances or electronics. Best Buy is right across the freeway but after the run around they gave me when I was looking to buy a TV, I won't be going back to them for anything anytime soon.

Hope everyone else who is having trouble gets their TV up and working soon. Have a good weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Since you mentioned there was no dedicated thread for this model, I made one. Here ya go - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283720

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayz View Post

Do you have 5500? I have ordered 55LE5500 how is the TV? Dont have dedicated thread for this particular model, I read on 5400 one.

post #63 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FML View Post

So it looks like LG took the bad firmware off their servers.

No update available on my 42ld550 also. v.8 update was avalable yesterday though.
post #64 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txskeets View Post

Since you mentioned there was no dedicated thread for this model, I made one. Here ya go - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283720

Oh... Thanks
post #65 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Decided to test this and see if I got an update. As soon as I plugged in my network cable and launched Netapps, it promptly told me there was a software update available. I cancelled out of it and disconnected the cable. Not going through that again. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgforme View Post

No update available on my 42ld550 also. v.8 update was avalable yesterday though.

post #66 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Decided to test this and see if I got an update. As soon as I plugged in my network cable and launched Netapps, it promptly told me there was a software update available. I cancelled out of it and disconnected the cable. Not going through that again. :-)

I have a 47LE8500.

The FW Version 8 that has bricked so many TV's has been pulled. My TV is still at the FW 6...and I decided not to upgrade because of all the reports of bricking.

I just checked for updates this minute, and no update is available. I am happy LG decided to pull it for the xxLE8500's.
post #67 of 120 Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should ask your local LG Tech to stop by for a "no charge" Update on your LG HDTV Software/Firmware for you. Time to get up to full functionality with that Puppy....
post #68 of 120 Old 10-16-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I've thought about it, but right now, I dont really care about the netcast features. I might use VUDU every now and then and as far as Netflix goes, thats already on my 360, PS3, etc, so for now, I'm content just using the TV without the netcast stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

Maybe you should ask your local LG Tech to stop by for a "no charge" Update on your LG HDTV Software/Firmware for you. Time to get up to full functionality with that Puppy....

post #69 of 120 Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I've thought about it, but right now, I dont really care about the netcast features. I might use VUDU every now and then and as far as Netflix goes, thats already on my 360, PS3, etc, so for now, I'm content just using the TV without the netcast stuff.

08.00.02 Software/Firmware might provide more improvements then just a Netcast Update......

txskeets... I revised my comment above since we would never know for sure unless LG decides to provide the info as to exactly what changes the firmware update provides beyond the obvious.
post #70 of 120 Old 10-16-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

What other improvements does it have other then turning the 55LE5500 into a paper weight?

Quote:

08.00.02 Software/Firmware provides more improvements then just a Netcast Update......

post #71 of 120 Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 PM

I would like to thank you for this forum. I feel like I have a support group and am not the only one this happened to or that it was all my fault.

My problem start Monday, oct 11. I turned on the TV, did it's thing, popped up with a new version of software available for your TV. So being the good little solider that I am, based on iphone updates, pushes to my workstation in the office, etc. I followed instructions. And of course what did I get, a brick.

I'm no glad I found this forum. LE and the server repair man all made me feel like it was my fault for accepting the software load.

So I called LG, very sorry, scheduled a tech to come out Thursday. So I wanted patiently, rearragned my work schedule to work from home, then got a call that the tech was sick and dr told him to stay home. "So what day should we schedule you next week after he is better". I raised a fuss, so they contacted an authorized repair company. Tech came out, had to call LG who told him to replace the main board, expect it 7-10 days. This is crazy.

I also bought mine at Conn's so I am going to do what the other individual did and see if I can get a replacement from Conn's. But did I read it right, even if I get it working, I will not be able to watch Netflix directly on the tv without the update?
post #72 of 120 Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Its true you wont be able to use the netcast applications or the widgets if the update is still available. Some people have reported that the update is no longer available when they check on their TV. I can tell you that checking my tv at this very moment, my current version is 05.00.05 and when I check the update version it tells me the update version is 6.00.04. This is definately different then then 8.x.x version that bricked my TV to begin with. I'm tempted yet scared out of my mind to update to the 6.00.04 version and see what happens, but I'll be pissed if I brick the set because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmartinez03 View Post

I would like to thank you for this forum. I feel like I have a support group and am not the only one this happened to or that it was all my fault.

My problem start Monday, oct 11. I turned on the TV, did it's thing, popped up with a new version of software available for your TV. So being the good little solider that I am, based on iphone updates, pushes to my workstation in the office, etc. I followed instructions. And of course what did I get, a brick.

I'm no glad I found this forum. LE and the server repair man all made me feel like it was my fault for accepting the software load.

So I called LG, very sorry, scheduled a tech to come out Thursday. So I wanted patiently, rearragned my work schedule to work from home, then got a call that the tech was sick and dr told him to stay home. "So what day should we schedule you next week after he is better". I raised a fuss, so they contacted an authorized repair company. Tech came out, had to call LG who told him to replace the main board, expect it 7-10 days. This is crazy.

I also bought mine at Conn's so I am going to do what the other individual did and see if I can get a replacement from Conn's. But did I read it right, even if I get it working, I will not be able to watch Netflix directly on the tv without the update?

post #73 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Its true you wont be able to use the netcast applications or the widgets if the update is still available. Some people have reported that the update is no longer available when they check on their TV. I can tell you that checking my tv at this very moment, my current version is 05.00.05 and when I check the update version it tells me the update version is 6.00.04. This is definately different then then 8.x.x version that bricked my TV to begin with. I'm tempted yet scared out of my mind to update to the 6.00.04 version and see what happens, but I'll be pissed if I brick the set because of it.

See that is why I am wondering about whether to look into returning the model. I really love the TV but not if it will become fully function by either not accepting a download or accepting a bad download. Let us know how it works if you decide to do it.
post #74 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still on the fence about installing it. I really love the TV and am not overly concerned about the netcast app and widgets since I can do netflix, etc on my 360 or PS3 which is already hooked up to this set. I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Quote:

See that is why I am wondering about whether to look into returning the model. I really love the TV but not if it will become fully function by either not accepting a download or accepting a bad download. Let us know how it works if you decide to do it.

post #75 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 12:30 PM

What's Life without a little Risk! Go for the current available Software/Firmware Update fellow LG HDTV Adventurists! Be Brave and Dive in! Live Life on the Edge! If you get "Bricked" it will be like checking into "HDTV Rehab" to "Ween" you off the HDTV Addiction for a few days until the LG Tech/Medic arrives to re-connect your HDTV iV Tube.

This latest episode of software/firmware "Bricked" LG HDTV's will probably result in LG offering fewer if any future Software/Firmware Update enhancements for our models of LG HDTV's .... so LG can avoid the potential future risk of "Bricking" more LG HDTV's.
post #76 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano583 View Post

Update to my 55LE5500:
The service tech just left, he was on the phone with tech support and they blamed it on doing a wireless update. I disagreed, since a few of you it failed with a wired update as well. They did not admit to LG having an issue with the firmware update, no surprise.
A new main board is the suggested route. That will be ordered and i should receive a call back when it arrives. Service tech said that LG parts have been arriving fast lately. He said he could be back early next week.
I've had the TV 2 months otherwise i would just return it.

Update today, I received the following email from LG.

Mr. Kemper,

Please call me at your earliest convenience. We would like to know if you would be willing to allow us to send you a test software update via USB Flash Drive to see if it resolves the issue you are having with your TV. My contact information is below.

Apparently i was 1 of 3 individuals that they would like to test trial version 9. They are overnighting the USB drive (129mb) to me and I'll try it tomorrow.
post #77 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Mr. Kemper,
Please call me at your earliest convenience. We would like to know if you would be willing to allow us to send you a test software update via USB Flash Drive to see if it resolves the issue you are having with your TV. My contact information is below.

Apparently i was 1 of 3 individuals that they would like to test trial version 9. They are overnighting the USB drive (129mb) to me and I'll try it tomorrow.

Very interesting! If you successfully install Version 9 let us know ASAP the most obvious results of the install and if it included a "NetCast" addition for "Skype". I wonder how the 129mb ver.9 install compares in size to ver.8 install or prior installs?
post #78 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. You will have to let us know how it goes. Am I understanding correctly that they want you to use the USB drive on your current bricked set?

Quote:

Mr. Kemper,

post #79 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Interesting. You will have to let us know how it goes. Am I understanding correctly that they want you to use the USB drive on your current bricked set?

Yes, my TV is bricked and they want me to test out the newest version via a USB drive. I figure i will give that a shot since i can do that on my own time and not take off work waiting around for a service tech to open up my tv and replace a board.
My main board replacement was scheduled for tomorrow. I postponed the service tech appointment until after I figure out if the USB drive update is successful.
post #80 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Cool....let us know your results. Glad SOMEONE from LG seems to realize the seriousness of this issue.

Quote:

Yes, my TV is bricked and they want me to test out the newest version via a USB drive. I figure i will give that a shot since i can do that on my own time and not take off work waiting around for a service tech to open up my tv and replace a board.
My main board replacement was scheduled for tomorrow. I postponed the service tech appointment until after I figure out if the USB drive update is successful.

post #81 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Well I spoke to LG today and they feel they are holding up their end by repairing the tv. They also said that you should be able to use netcast without Abernathy the push. I'll believe it when I see it. Us there a key stroke combination to see if v6 will come down and magically fix everything?
post #82 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

If you click on menu, then hit the red button (it should say customer service on the screen), it should bring up a menu with software update listed. If you go into the software update, you should be able to do a version check.

Quote:

Well I spoke to LG today and they feel they are holding up their end by repairing the tv. They also said that you should be able to use netcast without Abernathy the push. I'll believe it when I see it. Us there a key stroke combination to see if v6 will come down and magically fix everything?

post #83 of 120 Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Well I still have no picture. Was hoping I could just trigger the push. I'll just have to wait. Thanks
post #84 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Mr. Kemper,

Apparently i was 1 of 3 individuals that they would like to test trial version 9. They are overnighting the USB drive (129mb) to me and I’ll try it tomorrow.

and the result of the LG Version 9 Software/Firmware (loaded from USB Flash Drive) Update attempt for "Bricked" LG HDTV is ......... ?????????
post #85 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:

and the result of the LG Version 9 Software/Firmware (loaded from USB Flash Drive) Update attempt for "Bricked" LG HDTV is ......... ?????????

TV is still bricked. I plugged the USB in and the instructions said 3-10 minutes to download and then it should restart/reboot. I walked away after 15 plus minutes and the TV hadn't done anything. A little while later i went downstairs and the TV was off. I turned it on and still bricked. I tried the sequence two more times and nothing.
I will be calling my LG contact first time tomorrow morning.
post #86 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:

TV is still bricked. I plugged the USB in and the instructions said 3-10 minutes to download and then it should restart/reboot. I walked away after 15 plus minutes and the TV hadn't done anything. A little while later i went downstairs and the TV was off. I turned it on and still bricked. I tried the sequence two more times and nothing.

Well when my tech came out last Friday, his first thought was to download the correct version of the software onto a USB drive but when he spoke ot LG, they told him that they did not think the TV would recognize the software on the USB drive. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

But I have another thought, has everyone seen the RS232 connection on the back of the tv that is labeled service only? Have any of the techs that have been out to see you ever used that? I guess that is why silly me thought this would be a 5 min fix. You hook up a device, download the correct software, badda bing, badda boom.
post #87 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the USB Flash Drive loaded with Software/Firmware Version 9 Update Install would work on a "Non-Bricked" LG55LE8500 HDTV currently loaded with Version 08.00.02 ?

Did the LG Tech give any special instructions for the Version 9 install other then turning on your LG HDTV and inserting the USB Flash Drive into the LG HDTV USB Port ?
post #88 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM

I just went to bring up the Yahoo widgets, and the TV informed me that there was another new update available. I canceled out. I checked manually, and the TV says the new version is 08.00.05.

Any risk takers with an le8500 want to give this a go and report back?
post #89 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked on my LE5500 and it still shows 06.00.04 as the available update on my set. Still not willing to take the plunge and try that update yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

I just went to bring up the Yahoo widgets, and the TV informed me that there was another new update available. I canceled out. I checked manually, and the TV says the new version is 08.00.05.

Any risk takers with an le8500 want to give this a go and report back?

post #90 of 120 Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 PM

After discussing it with the family, we decided to go ahead to let it update. The download took about 3 minutes, the TV rebooted, and thank heaven I still have picture and sound, and network functionality has been restored. the only odd thing was that towards the end of the download, the progress window disappeared, but I went back into the check update window and that brought it back just as it finished.

for anyone interested. By going into the channel menu, highlighting auto tuning, and pressing "1" 5 times, I can tell you that version 8.00.05 was compiled on 10/18/2010 by kwansu.lee.

Also for anyone interested, my yahoo finance widget still won't fetch a value for the Dow.

So there you go folks, don't say I never did anything for the forum.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page