Official Sharp Aquos/Quattron LC-XXLE920UN/LC-XXLE925UN Owners - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

...I am scare that 52" (smallest size they have) would be big for my living room (seating distance of about close to 9 feet).

I think you'll be fine at least when you're watching good HD. 9 feet divided by 52 inches is a ratio of 2.08, which for a person with normal eyesight gives a clear picture with good HD. SD, or poorer quality HD, may look grainy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM

No, all advanced features are set to off.
Quote:

thanks, did you had aquos 240hz enable when watching the game?

LC-60LE920UN
Quote:

which model and size exactly were you using?

No, not at all.
Quote:

notice any weird trail/separation of the puck when it moved really fast? I notice this on older sharp, mainly the 700un in a soccer game, when the ball was going really fast, I could see the ball multiple time on screen. wondering if the issue was fixed on the new quattron 920 series.

I don't think that would be an issue. For our 60" - seating is anywhere from 9 feet to 12 feet, any seat in the house is a good one
Quote:

also, can you guy comments on size vs your seating distance? I like the additionnal features that the 920un series brings to the table (tone down colors, 240hz, better contrast, nicer looking bizel) but I am scare that 52" (smallest size they have) would be big for my living room (seating distance of about close to 9 feet).

Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To Dave.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's always been my understanding that ratio should be calculated by display width (probably somewhere in the 47 inch neighborhood) and not the diagonal viewing area measurement.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClerkDante View Post

To Dave.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's always been my understanding that ratio should be calculated by display width (probably somewhere in the 47 inch neighborhood) and not the diagonal viewing area measurement.

All screen sizes are calulated diagonal. So I believe the measure always takes the diagonal size into account. Most TV manufacturer will tell you to take your TV diagonal size and multiply it by 3 and it should be the seating distance.

Some store will tell you to multiply the screen size by 2.5

Here, most people tells you it's by 2. hard to figure who is right and who is wrong.

I think, as dave said, that if you were mostly only watching blurays, 2 times the screen size is a good distance. Problem come when you watch other sources. TV HD feed aren't as great as bluray and introduce defects/artifacts. same goes with sports and regular SD feed. This is when, a smaller TV is better since it masks those defects.

This is where I am hesitating. If I was watching bluray only, 52" would be good, hell I could even go bigger. But I still watch regular HD feed TV and occasionnaly, SD feeds (although those are almost inexistant now). Add to this that I am coming from a 32" at 9feet view distance and I am a bit scared to find 52" huge.

I had and returned a few 46" so I know this is works well for me. I did own and return 1 plasma which was 50" and it looks like 50" was fine in the end for my 9 feet. But it was a plasma and the picture was more smooth/not as sharp as a LCD/LED.

the thing is, I like the feature of the 920 (colors more under control, screen uniformity is better, 240hz for sports, etc) which are not available in the 810/820 series which is the only model offering 46".
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's always been my understanding that ratio should be calculated by display width ...and not the diagonal viewing area measurement.

In that case one would multiply by .87, the ratio of width to diagonal on a 16:9 screen. But since TVs are always measured diagonally, I don't see the point of measuring this way. A diagonal measure has the advantage that it is meaningful whether you are talking about a 4:3, 16:9 or one of the rarer ultra-wide screens.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Is that the 52" 920un?

How far is your seating distance with this TV? are you watching sports? how would you describe the motion blur on it?

Yes, that is the 52" 920.

My seating distance is approx. 10 feet, it'll be a bit more once it gets mounted.

Big hockey fan, no noticeable blur, although I have the advanced settings off.
I have remarked how easy it is to follow the puck on screen, both because of the size (upgrade from 42") and the lack of blur. I don't find the puck or players have any noticeable blur when I am watching.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 AM

Just adding a comment for those who are debating viewing distances. I just received my 52" 920 and installed the viewing distance is 8'3". Haven't noticed any ill effects while watching a blue ray and gaming is glorious. Wouldn't trade it for anything at this point.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone can comment on blacks on this tv? Anyon can post picture of a dark scene?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM

So, not to be a greedy bastard or anything, but where the heck are the calibration posts? The crappy 820 that I returned for this set has a ton of pro calibrated settings posted in it's thread, but I can find very little (here or otherwise) for the 920.

Is it the price point? Are there just not many out there?
Old 12-31-2010, 03:57 PM

Just got mine today finally pulled the trigger. If you are on the fence due to the cost east coast tvs has the 52le925un for 2000.00 w free shipping. This may be a new years eve special. Cheapest I have seen on the net.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, not to be a greedy bastard or anything, but where the heck are the calibration posts? The crappy 820 that I returned for this set has a ton of pro calibrated settings posted in it's thread, but I can find very little (here or otherwise) for the 920.

Is it the price point? Are there just not many out there?

What was wrong with your 820?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:

What was wrong with your 820?

Mine suffered greatly from the clouding and flashlighting discussed pretty heavily over in the 820 thread. I was fortunate enough to have coerced them to send me a 920 as a replacement. This set is stunning. I just wish there were some strong settings out there. Optomom (I think that was the name) got the 820 calibrated to near perfection, so now as glorious as the 920 is, I'd love it locked down as well as the 820 got.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mine suffered greatly from the clouding and flashlighting discussed pretty heavily over in the 820 thread. I was fortunate enough to have coerced them to send me a 920 as a replacement. This set is stunning. I just wish there were some strong settings out there. Optomom (I think that was the name) got the 820 calibrated to near perfection, so now as glorious as the 920 is, I'd love it locked down as well as the 820 got.

Have you tried applying the same settings to the 920?

also, how far away from your set are you? do you have a 52" ?

finally, since you owned both verison (820 / 920) beside the clouding issue, what other differences do you see between both TVs. Any other improvements beside screen uniformity?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Have you tried applying the same settings to the 920?

also, how far away from your set are you? do you have a 52" ?

finally, since you owned both verison (820 / 920) beside the clouding issue, what other differences do you see between both TVs. Any other improvements beside screen uniformity?

I kind of assumed since they're different panels that the settings would be entirely unique but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

I bought the 60 inch and we are about 12 feet away. It was actually a step down from a 106 inch projector screen from about 15 feet so it clearly doesn't feel the least bit overwhelming.

Really everything is better. The default colors are more natural, sports don't suffer motion blur, aside from the screen uniformity there is also no visible edge light leakage. The wifi dongle also is a nice addition. There's also a movies on demand app that wasn't on the 820 but I've not used it.

I stumbled across a press release (dated 2008) while back that said as part of the Aquos Advantage program they will calibrate your new set via the ethernet port. My questions are as follows:

1) Anyone know if they still provide this service?

And

2) How in the world would it work? Access to the port wouldn't seem to provide any sort of confirmation of display characteristics
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Oh good lord. So I called Sharp this morning about the press release I saw. The say "of course sir, I'd be more than happy to help you get the best picture possible out of your new Aquos".

The dude then logs into my set and switches me to dynamic mode.

I'm not sure what I expected, maybe an upload of pro calibration settings or access to a special calibration menu or something, but nope, that was it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I kind of assumed since they're different panels that the settings would be entirely unique but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

I bought the 60 inch and we are about 12 feet away. It was actually a step down from a 106 inch projector screen from about 15 feet so it clearly doesn't feel the least bit overwhelming.

Really everything is better. The default colors are more natural, sports don't suffer motion blur, aside from the screen uniformity there is also no visible edge light leakage. The wifi dongle also is a nice addition. There's also a movies on demand app that wasn't on the 820 but I've not used it.

I stumbled across a press release (dated 2008) while back that said as part of the Aquos Advantage program they will calibrate your new set via the ethernet port. My questions are as follows:

1) Anyone know if they still provide this service?

And

2) How in the world would it work? Access to the port wouldn't seem to provide any sort of confirmation of display characteristics
Hmm... after reading your post I did some googling and I found details here:

https://www.aquosadvantage.com/AboutAQUOS.aspx (US)
http://aquosadvantage.sharp.ca/AboutAQUOS.aspx (Cdn)

Which includes in part:

" * 1-877-AQUOS09 is a dedicated toll-free number for use exclusively by our AQUOS Advantage members.
* All calls are answered by a highly trained AQUOS Advantage Advisor to ensure that you receive immediate assistance with your inquiry.
* AQUOS Advantage Advisors are experts in Sharp's leading Full HD 1080p LCD technology and can guide you through initial product set-up, maximize the quality of your AQUOS LCD TV picture and sound, and find the right solution for your customer support needs."

I'm just speculating as I have never been in this program before, but its sounds like they'd guide you through the process and answer any settings questions you would have.

Has anyone else registered with this program? It seems the American program is somewhat more comprehensive than the Canadian one. I still haven't registered my set though.

Any comments?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh good lord. So I called Sharp this morning about the press release I saw. The say "of course sir, I'd be more than happy to help you get the best picture possible out of your new Aquos".

The dude then logs into my set and switches me to dynamic mode.

I'm not sure what I expected, maybe an upload of pro calibration settings or access to a special calibration menu or something, but nope, that was it.

I wouldn't rely to much on this. Most TV manufacturer will tell you right off the bad to leave the TV on default settings, which is bad in itself.

Secondly, remotely, the aquos customer service can't really see the end results of modification. The "extend" of the service they can provide you is, let say you complain about the TV being too bright in your dark basement, they will point you out to the setting to change (in this case the backlight setting) and maybe even adjust it down with you watching until you are satisfied. don't expect anything more out of this.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster. I was thinking of picking up a 920 (52") and only have a SUV (09 Santa Fe) to transport it in. Since I live in a fairly remote location, delivery is not an option, short of paying 400$.

I've been reading quite a bit about transporting TVs horizontally, and most seem to agree that laying LCDs flat is not really a problem, providing you are careful. Plasmas are a no-no, of course. Considering this puppy has a glass screen, do you think it would be considered more dangerous to lay this particular model horizontally than other LCD/LED TVs ?

It is almost a 2-hour drive, and I would try to keep it as upright as possible, but it may be better to just lay it flat if it can't be completely upright.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrash3 View Post

Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster. I was thinking of picking up a 920 (52") and only have a SUV (09 Santa Fe) to transport it in. Since I live in a fairly remote location, delivery is not an option, short of paying 400$.

I've been reading quite a bit about transporting TVs horizontally, and most seem to agree that laying LCDs flat is not really a problem, providing you are careful. Plasmas are a no-no, of course. Considering this puppy has a glass screen, do you think it would be considered more dangerous to lay this particular model horizontally than other LCD/LED TVs ?

It is almost a 2-hour drive, and I would try to keep it as upright as possible, but it may be better to just lay it flat if it can't be completely upright.

Thanks for your help.

I skipped the delivery charge and transported my 920 (60") in the bed of my truck lying flat (glass side up) for about an hour drive and had no issues whatsoever. The guy that loaded it for me also said it would be fine this way as long as glass side is up. I did drive like a grandma on the way home though.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotonicnite View Post

I skipped the delivery charge and transported my 920 (60") in the bed of my truck lying flat (glass side up) for about an hour drive and had no issues whatsoever. The guy that loaded it for me also said it would be fine this way as long as glass side is up. I did drive like a grandma on the way home though.

Thanks for your input. Now I just need BB to get more in stock before the sale ends so I can actually go get it.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your input. Now I just need BB to get more in stock before the sale ends so I can actually go get it.

I am in the same situation. Best buy in Canada is completely sold out even at their warehouse. I did manage to get a raincheck from my local BestBuy store so that even if they don't receive the TV past January 6th (last day of the great sales on the TV), I have the price locked down for the following 30 days and I can even renew my raincheck for another month if they don't have it in stock.

I suggest you do the same just in case they don't get stocks before the sales ends.

I have a mazda 5 and I too am puzzled if the 52" box would fit on my car. If anyone could provide us with measurements of the box, that would be great, I could save a 50$ in shipping.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I am in the same situation. Best buy in Canada is completely sold out even at their warehouse. I did manage to get a raincheck from my local BestBuy store so that even if they don't receive the TV past January 6th (last day of the great sales on the TV), I have the price locked down for the following 30 days and I can even renew my raincheck for another month if they don't have it in stock.

I suggest you do the same just in case they don't get stocks before the sales ends.

I have a mazda 5 and I too am puzzled if the 52" box would fit on my car. If anyone could provide us with measurements of the box, that would be great, I could save a 50$ in shipping.

I tried that yesterday. The guy told me they don't do rainchecks on Boxing Day sale items. May I ask which store you tried ? (Also in Canada here. I have 4 stores within a 2-hour drive)

I agree on Box measurements. If anyone could give us that it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendy View Post

Has anyone else registered with this program? It seems the American program is somewhat more comprehensive than the Canadian one. I still haven't registered my set though.

Any comments?

Hi Fiendy,
I registered my LC60LE920UN with the Canadian Sharp site, and have dealt with them 3 times. Wait time on the phone was minimal, the fastest I have experienced. The reps were nice to deal with (no attitude at all), so I am assuming that only longer-term staff get these jobs. Despite that, they were all unable to advise me on my audio cable issue. See my 2 posts above (page 3) on audio cables for more details.

I was surprised that no one could help me troubleshoot the AV mini jack set up, especially since I was told that the buzzing complaint was very common. I was also a little disappointed with the response I got when I surmised and then learned that the optical audio output only does 2.0 stereo . All they did was read out to me (it sounded like) the same Sharp statement twice about how the company recommends optical audio output for "optimal sound from over-the-air digital broadcasts". It was me who had to translate their statement for myself but in the reverse, = "Sharp does not recommend using optical audio ouput for signals from any of your AV components".

By the way, even though I registered and called the Canadian site, the staff on the other end of the phone were from the US each time, so I am assuming that there is only one Aquos Advantage CSR team for North America.

Prof. Bergman, Moonbase Alpha
Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I tried that yesterday. The guy told me they don't do rainchecks on Boxing Day sale items. May I ask which store you tried ? (Also in Canada here. I have 4 stores within a 2-hour drive)

I agree on Box measurements. If anyone could give us that it would be greatly appreciated.
I live close to Montreal and got my rainchecks to the bestbuy closest to where I live which is in Pointe-Claire.

The employee even offered me the rainchecks, then realized it was a boxing day deal, went to confirm with someone else, which I assume was her manager, came back and did me the rainchecks.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

BTW anyone ran an input lag test on this TV? I'm assuming input lag won't be an issue since this is a Sharp TV and the 810/820 has been tested at 30ms, but wondering if someone did one on the 920 just to be sure?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:

I live close to Montreal and got my rainchecks to the bestbuy closest to where I live which is in Pointe-Claire.

The employee even offered me the rainchecks, then realized it was a boxing day deal, went to confirm with someone else, which I assume was her manager, came back and did me the rainchecks.

The price online is now at $2200 for some unknown reason. At this price it's too much. Guess I'm going with my 2nd choice (LG 55LD650).
Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The price online is now at $2200 for some unknown reason. At this price it's too much. Guess I'm going with my 2nd choice (LG 55LD650).

I still see the price at 1799 for the 52" 920un Sharp on the BB website. The price is suppose to last until january 6th.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I still see the price at 1799 for the 52" 920un Sharp on the BB website. The price is suppose to last until january 6th.

You're right. It's now back to 1800. It was at 2200 for about an hour this afternoon, and then came back down. Very weird. But my chances at getting it are slim to none anyway. They won't take a raincheck no matter what I do. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:

You're right. It's now back to 1800. It was at 2200 for about an hour this afternoon, and then came back down. Very weird. But my chances at getting it are slim to none anyway. They won't take a raincheck no matter what I do. Consider yourself lucky.

I also saw the price flip around today - maybe an early indication as to what the price will be after the 6th. I'm also looking for the 52" 920UN, went to BB in the GTA a couple days ago and I saw that they had 45 on order when I asked the guy to do a store check. He had no idea if those were in-transit or not. All stores were sold out except for one in Victoria BC that had 1 left. I'm holding out hope that they actually receive them in the next day or so and make em available online..nevertheless I'll try and sweettalk a BB employee tomorrow for a raincheck anyway.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 12
It's funny reading canucks here about the BestBuy sale. I'm waiting for my 920 52" too. Bought it on the 19th. And there was no stock of anything for our 2 stores.

I wanted a 60" badly but didn't like what I read about the 810 although it looked better in the store then the Sony I wanted. For the deal I got... the 920 was the solid choice.

Supposed to get a phone call when it gets to Edmonton. Apparently that's their distribution center.