Best LCD for a bright room and wide viewing angles - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting complaints from my family about my 5 year old Samsung HLN series DLP 46 inch...it's somewhat dim in the brightly lit room with lots of windows during the day where it is located, and also since it's set fairly high up in an armoire, the vertical viewing angle is an issue as the picture degrades if you watch it while sitting on the ground for example. The bulb is new.

My research tells me to go LCD for the brightest pictures, with a matte screen. I already have another room that is a dedicated home theater, this TV is used for casual watching HDTV and occasional DVDs but anything technical I can watch in the home theater.

I want to keep the cost below $1500, and it needs to be 46 inches.

Any suggestions?

Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM

Take a look at the LG 47" 47LE5400 LED LCD. It has a matte screen which will help you during the daytime. You can get it with an IPS panel which has among the best viewing angles for LCD's.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Sharp's 810 and 920un Led series are amoung the brightest LCD tv out there and Sharp always manage great view angle on their TV.
post #4 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Sharp's 810 and 920un Led series are amoung the brightest LCD tv out there and Sharp always manage great view angle on their TV.

Maybe at one time Sharp had an advantage in viewing angle, but not now. They score below average in viewing angle.

Brightness is great but not necessarily the same as low reflective screen.

If you have a link to professional reviews that support your statements please post the link.
post #5 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM

take a look at Vizio xvt553sv it is LED backlit...it has matte finish and got excellent reviews..got editors choice on cnet and just bit over ur budget.
post #6 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Maybe at one time Sharp had an advantage in viewing angle, but not now. They score below average in viewing angle.

Brightness is great but not necessarily the same as low reflective screen.

If you have a link to professional reviews that support your statements please post the link.

I had Sharp's 700un for 2 weeks and it beat the crap out of any samsung, Sony and Lg's that I tried regarding view angle. LG's being the worst followed closely by Samsung and sony. To LG's defence, the LD520 that I tried might have been a VA pannel and not an IPS, unfortunately, it's too late for me to check.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM

I just saw the Sony ex710. Its 46" and really good looking and definitely in your price range
post #8 of 28 Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM

I went in to get a Samsung 6300 and decided on the Sony because of it's matte screen and how much better the frame looked. The Sony also came with netflix in it which wasn't really a factor for me cause I have it in my blu Ray already
post #9 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM

At $1500 you can keep an eye on Dell's website for their deal on the Sharp 6088UN. ABSOLUTELY love mine. Their presets were Ok at first. Ended up using similar settings to those listed in the owner's thread.

I've got a large picture window on one side and lots of kitchen lights coming in from the other side. There is NO issue with glare. Though slightly faded, I can still see a very good picture at 160 deg.

This was coming from a Sharp 46D92U which also had great angles. And trust me, though there's and extra 14" diagonally, it doesn't really take up that much more room vertically or horizontally.

Have a good one,

neomaine
post #10 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

I had Sharp's 700un for 2 weeks and it beat the crap out of any samsung, Sony and Lg's that I tried regarding view angle. LG's being the worst followed closely by Samsung and sony. To LG's defence, the LD520 that I tried might have been a VA pannel and not an IPS, unfortunately, it's too late for me to check.

I asked for professional test results not your personal observation of exactly one Sharp 700un. We don't know what size it was nor why you only had it for 2 weeks.

Actual professional testers found these Sharp models had only Fair Viewing Angle, compared to some brands and models that ranked Very Good.

Sharp models ranked Fair in Viewing Angle:

1) Sharp 52LE700UN
2) Sharp 60E77UN
3) Sharp 60LE810UN
4) Sharp 46LE820UN
5) Sharp 40LE700UN
6) Sharp 40LE810UN

I am not going to waste any more of my time right now pointing out which panels actually tested Very Good in Viewing Angle.

The next time someone asks you about professional reviews you might think twice about what connection your private experience with something you had for 2 weeks has to do with professional testing.
post #11 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

I asked for professional test results not your personal observation of exactly one Sharp 700un. We don't know what size it was nor why you only had it for 2 weeks.

I am not going to waste any more of my time right now pointing out which panels actually tested Very Good in Viewing Angle.

The next time someone asks you about professional reviews you might think twice about what connection your private experience with something you had for 2 weeks has to do with professional testing.

Why in the world are you so upset with this member - he simply offered his opinion as a member. I also wondered why the two weeks and size but I didn't take his opinion as being a negative to be slammed.

I've owned a 57" Sharp for four years and have no viewing angle issues at all and never have at 8.5'. Size matters and viewing distance matters in that equation and it's a CCFL matte screen - I can agree that I see far more viewing angle issues with most LED Edge lit panels that I've never observed on my Sharp and I think that viewing it four years and being a Member here gives me a right to express that Opinion - otherwise I guess we may as well take the discussion to a "Professional Mensa Members Group Only" Site and that doesn't exist here and why the hostility over the person expressing their opinion? The OP asked for members of their Opinion and he simply offered his summary opinion and who gives a crap if it doesn't match your list - are we lemmings here?

Perhaps you could be right in a massively large viewing area but most of us don't have our HT in rooms that large and his previous was 46".

I suggest an 55" EX500 Sony for his Budget or the Sharp 88U 60" or LG5400 or Samsung 46C750 - he doesn't have the budget for the higher end panels at $1500.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #12 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Hi there,

I would agree with those who are recommending LED TVs due to the nature of lighting in your room. Keeping your budget in mind, I came across the following models:

- LG TruMotion 47LE5400 47-inch Class Television 1080p LED HDTV
- Samsung Touch of Color UN46C6300SFXZA 46-inch Class Television 1080 p LED HDTV

Keep us posted with what you decide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyremington View Post

I'm getting complaints from my family about my 5 year old Samsung HLN series DLP 46 inch...it's somewhat dim in the brightly lit room with lots of windows during the day where it is located, and also since it's set fairly high up in an armoire, the vertical viewing angle is an issue as the picture degrades if you watch it while sitting on the ground for example. The bulb is new.

My research tells me to go LCD for the brightest pictures, with a matte screen. I already have another room that is a dedicated home theater, this TV is used for casual watching HDTV and occasional DVDs but anything technical I can watch in the home theater.

I want to keep the cost below $1500, and it needs to be 46 inches.

Any suggestions?

post #13 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyremington View Post

I'm getting complaints from my family about my 5 year old Samsung HLN series DLP 46 inch...it's somewhat dim in the brightly lit room with lots of windows during the day where it is located, and also since it's set fairly high up in an armoire, the vertical viewing angle is an issue as the picture degrades if you watch it while sitting on the ground for example.

Any suggestions?

Brightly lit... LCD screens are typically brighter than plasma so this will likely suit you better. Any mentioned above... but I favor Sony.

Even in a bright room, reflections may or may not be a problem, if it is, a matte screen LCD like the Sammy 630 or Sony Ex500 are great options.

Viewing angle from the ground... LCD pales substantially next to plasma. A plaz will perform better in this area. If reflections are not problelmatic, I've found the Panasonic S2 to be a surprisingly bright screen (for a plaz). This may work well, not sure of sizes though.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!

Sony 52W4100 LCD, LG 42PG25 Plasma, Sony 46Z5100 LCD, Samsung 19D4000 LED, Samsung BD-P 2550, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S350, LG BD570, Panny DMR-EZ485V
post #14 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actual professional testers found these Sharp models had only Fair Viewing Angle, compared to some brands and models that ranked Very Good

Since I'm still investigating my options in my own hunt for a new TV, I'd love to have the link to these viewing angle test results. I already knew Sharps were so-so. I have also observed that LGs are the worst and Panasonics seem to be the best. But my observations are just that: casual observations. Plus I never took the time to determine the nature of each TV's panel lottery (thank you, LG and Samsung).

So if you have the link handy, I'd definitely like to peruse it.
post #15 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 PM

I would recommend IPS panels for better viewing angel.

Go for LG.

Do not go for samsung if you are looking for 46+ LED screen. It has light bleed problems from corners of the TV and the more bigger size, more is the light bleed.

Sony has Dynamic Edge Lit LED TVs, but no IPS panel !!

Well if you are buying edge lit LED TVs, I would ask you to go one step ahead and take some FullHD content which is mostly pictorised in dark env and test on the model you chose.
post #16 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post

Since I'm still investigating my options in my own hunt for a new TV, I'd love to have the link to these viewing angle test results. I already knew Sharps were so-so. I have also observed that LGs are the worst and Panasonics seem to be the best. But my observations are just that: casual observations. Plus I never took the time to determine the nature of each TV's panel lottery (thank you, LG and Samsung).

If the LG was bad then it wasn't one with an IPS panel. Any of the LG's with IPS panels have better viewing angles than almost any other manufacturer not using an IPS panel.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmino View Post

Plus I never took the time to determine the nature of each TV's panel lottery (thank you, LG and Samsung).

So if you have the link handy, I'd definitely like to peruse it.

It came up in the LE5300 thread, and the same method has been found to also apply to the LE5400.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 AM

I have a samsung ln52a630 in a very bright sunroom, has minimal glare and great picture.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I just came across the Panasonic L42D2 at Best Buy and it had the best viewing angle of any set on the wall. I mean it was extremely good. First, it caught my eye as being one of the sets with the brightest pictures. Later, I noted that the picture stayed bright from the side no matter the angle. The Samsungs and others faded, but the Panasonic stayed bright. I guess that it CAN be done with LCD, after all!
post #20 of 28 Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Panasonic? All of those are IPS with bright screens and great viewing angles. Only go up to 42" though.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Actual professional testers found these Sharp models had only Fair Viewing Angle, compared to some brands and models that ranked Very Good.

Could you please provide a link to a site that publishes professional reviews of LCD TVs and, in particular, their viewing angles?

Thank you.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Panasonic, LG, and Vizio. The only companies offering IPS panels so you have great viewing angles.

post #23 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Thank you Tigerriot, but my question was about reviews, not manufacturers.
post #24 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexoren View Post

Thank you Tigerriot, but my question was about reviews, not manufacturers.

Well, I shared with you who makes TVs that actually have good viewing angles. Sharp is not one of them.

Any 47 inch model from LG or Vizio is going to have an IPS panel. All their other sets are not guaranteed to be using one.

Any Panasonic LCD model will have an IPS panel.

post #25 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

Well, I shared with you who makes TVs that actually have good viewing angles.

And I appreciate that.

That said, not all IPS panels are created equal and it's nice to see some independent testing.
post #26 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexoren View Post

And I appreciate that.

That said, not all IPS panels are created equal and it's nice to see some independent testing.

What testing are you expecting to find? I've never seen a site "test" viewing angles for TVs. The best I've seen are a quick mention of their opinion on the viewing angles, and half the time I've found these opinions to be dubious at best. If the TV has an IPS panel you can be certain it's going to have as good a viewing angle as LCD's can produce.

post #27 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM

LG with IPS is going to be the best viewing angle.You can pick up a 47LW5600 for well under $1500 and it's 3D and comes with the glasses ! Most people here know of the place I am talking about but forum reals prevent me from letting you know where to get the best deal.
post #28 of 28 Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

What testing are you expecting to find? I've never seen a site "test" viewing angles for TVs. The best I've seen are a quick mention of their opinion on the viewing angles, and half the time I've found these opinions to be dubious at best.

TelevisionInfo.com claim to have a testing methodology. In particular, see their viewing angles section.

My question regarding the reviews was provoked by spyboy's post and should be taken in that context.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page