spdif - dolby not available - samsung ln46c650 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
valsamis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to pass Dolby Digital audio through from my LN46C650 to my AV receiver like this:

xbox -> HDMI -> LN46C650 -> TOSLINK -> AV receiver
cable -> HDMI -> LN46C650 -> TOSLINK -> AV receiver


when i go to the menu - the dolby digital is greyed out...

how do i fix that? Please help! I had it working for a year and then i took everything apart to mount my flatscreen on the wall and now everything is PCM.

failure in my life
valsamis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
spiritfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If it is similar to my 6800 Samsung, DD is only output when delivered directly through the TV tuner. If you get your signal from your cable box, you need to output the DD from there to your receiver. I don't have an HDMI receiver yet, so I output the DD signal from my cable box to my receiver via an optical audio cable. You should be able to do the same thing since your hookup is similar.

Bob

spiritfox is offline  
Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
MJDDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

If it is similar to my 6800 Samsung, DD is only output when delivered directly through the TV tuner. If you get your signal from your cable box, you need to output the DD from there to your receiver. I don't have an HDMI receiver yet, so I output the DD signal from my cable box to my receiver via an optical audio cable. You should be able to do the same thing since your hookup is similar.

That's how I do it as well. Works great.
MJDDawg is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Newbie
 
rashid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay to let me get this straight. If I use the TV as a Media Player to play content from my Network, it will not output the audio on the SPDIF?

If someone can please respond if my understanding above is correct. Because that would really suck. What is the point to have a TV that is such a wonderful media player that can play pretty much anything that is HD quality over the network only to not be able to get audio output using SPDIF.
rashid420 is offline  
Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Newbie
 
rashid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid420 View Post

Okay to let me get this straight. If I use the TV as a Media Player to play content from my Network, it will not output the audio on the SPDIF?

If someone can please respond if my understanding above is correct. Because that would really suck. What is the point to have a TV that is such a wonderful media player that can play pretty much anything that is HD quality over the network only to not be able to get audio output using SPDIF.

From the manual for my LN46C630

SPDIF Output
SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface) is used to provide digital sound, reducing interference going to speakers and various digital devices such as a DVD player.
Audio Format■■: During the reception of a digital TV broadcast, you can select the Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format from the options PCM or Dolby Digital.
By connecting to 5.1ch speakers in a dolby ✎✎digital setup, maximize your interactive 3D sound experience.
Audio Delay■■: Correct audio-video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver (0ms ~ 250ms).

This really stinks to high heaven
rashid420 is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Newbie
 
jowie74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid420 View Post

This really stinks to high heaven

I have a new UE40D6750 and came across this thread... I'm really surprised Samsung TVs have this problem, considering how technically well featured they are in other departments. It means rather than having just one optical audio cable, I now have to buy two more for each of the other boxes, not to mention needing to keep switching between inputs on the Receiver.

It's the first thing about the TV I have found to be a disappointment. Surely HDMI can transmit a 5.1 digital audio signal?
jowie74 is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How many DLP/LCD/Plasma can output 5.1 off the incoming HDMI?

Probably like 2%.
schan1269 is offline  
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Newbie
 
jowie74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

How many DLP/LCD/Plasma can output 5.1 off the incoming HDMI?

Probably like 2%.

Really? Why do you think that is? I would've thought supporting digital audio passthru would be a no-brainer... But then what do I know!
jowie74 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off