Does the picture of movies on LED-backlit LCD TVs look like local TV News to you? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-31-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw a LED-backlit LCD for the first time today. I looked at it and I thought they were playing some kind of a 'making of' Transformers documentary. But no it was the real movie. You know how they shoot a movie with one type of camera/film and shoot your local news broadcast with another? That's the feeling I get. If in the old days you were watching a movie and it looked just like you were watching the news, you would feel like something wasn't right.

The non LED-backlit LCD displays in the store still 'looked like' movies.

What do you think? Is it too life like or is it the LED-backlit LCD technology that makes the actual movie look like special featurette of what it was like filming the movie shot with a TV News camera...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Discussed a million times here. It's called frame rate interpolation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation
post #3 of 20 Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If you have time to clear things up one more time:

Is this a feature that can be turned off?
post #4 of 20 Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 View Post

If you have time to clear things up one more time:

Is this a feature that can be turned off?

What make and model were you looking at? It can be turned off in most if not all models.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you for telling me that it can be turned off.

So basically, when viewing models, you can just ask for "frame rate interpolation" to be turned off, is that right?
post #6 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Yes, although each brand has its own marketing-speak name for it, eg LG call it "TrueMotion". Basically the TV is inventing extra frames to insert between the frames from the original signal to smooth out the motion.

The result is commonly call the "Soap Opera Effect".

Also on some TVs its not just an on/off setting, you can adjust the agressiveness of the processing & get nice smooth motion without too much SOE.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for that. Are there people who really like to watch movies with the "Soap Opera Effect" on? Doesn't it ruin the experience?
post #8 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c627627 View Post

Thanks for that. Are there people who really like to watch movies with the "Soap Opera Effect" on? Doesn't it ruin the experience?

Actually, most people prefer it after getting used to it. If you do a forum search for interpolation or AMP you will find unlimited comments
post #9 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Some people like it, most don't. It's a matter of personal preference. Not only can you turn it off and on, you can also adjust it at points in between.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I'm with BoilerJim that most don't like it, but regardless, absent actual data it's disingenuous to clam that "people get used to it and like it" or that "most people don't."

Suffice it to say, a bunch of here at AVS hate it with a bloody passion. Others think it's the cat's pajamas.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, there have been polls on this forum and the majority prefer it. Argue with the voters
post #12 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I respect the people who like it even if I don't but you know when you watch special features on a DVD like "On the Set of..." kind of a thing where there's a guy with a regular camera just off the set and he's filming the actual scene and when director yells 'cut' and when they laugh afterwords etc.

Well that kind of footage. They prefer to watch the entire movie looking like that? It's just difficult to understand why they would. It doesn't look like a movie, it looks like a documentary.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Actually, there have been polls on this forum and the majority prefer it. Argue with the voters

Polls here are not to be confused with real polls (all of which are flawed). Polls here have the worst kind of selection bias where people who flat out don't like what you are polling about tend not to answer your poll -- even if it has a choice that says "I hate this."

If you wish to argue this axiom, fine, you can. But you'd be wrong. I can promise you that if I saw a poll about "do you like the soap opera effect?" I'd not bother responding. I'm not alone here. Whereas, people who do like it are much more likely to respond, since the poll is about something they actually believe in, they are inclined to find the topic interesting.

If you could randomly survey 100 AVSer, the results would be different -- often dramatically --- from nearly every poll ever posted here (some would align either through the randomness of the universe or because they would not be "pre-loaded" to attract a certain kind of voter). So please don't cite AVS poll results to make your case; it diminishes your case.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Rogo, I'm sure selection bias distorts the results to some degree, but before we could make claims about how signficant the distortion is wouldn't we need some hard data, perhaps we should create a poll* asking people about their selection bias

Seriously though, what we can say for certain is that many people have strong feelings about interpolation, in both for and against.

Personally I use it occasionally and at minimum settings for some TV but not at all for film sources where I'm trying to replicate the cinema feel as best I can. To me some TV stuff and documentaries etc seem to be well suited to a bit of SOE.

*yeah I know, random survey
post #15 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Some people like it, most don't. It's a matter of personal preference. Not only can you turn it off and on, you can also adjust it at points in between.

when we first got our Samsung LED TV, we have AMP enabled, and my wife made a comment about how weird the picture looked. It was a movie, but it seemed like it was shot with a handheld. Once I disabled AMP then the picture watching movies looks much more like it should. AMP on the Sammie's cause the soap opera effect
post #16 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dave, tongue in cheekiness aside, the fact remains that people that don't care about an opt-in survey are less likely to participate.

Any AVS "poll" that asks if people are in favor of some feature, thing, etc. will almost automatically self select into people that are in favor of it. This tends to underrepresent those opposed, but also those that don't care.

post #17 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

when we first got our Samsung LED TV, we have AMP enabled, and my wife made a comment about how weird the picture looked. It was a movie, but it seemed like it was shot with a handheld. Once I disabled AMP then the picture watching movies looks much more like it should. AMP on the Sammie's cause the soap opera effect

It is a funny effect for sure. If you don't know about it--and I didn't--it just looks--well different to be sure. Once I found out why things looked so different I toned it down but didn't turn it off. I tried the custom setting at 1 or 2 Judder and 9 blur but didn't care for that either--finally settled on the "Clear" setting for Motion Control. I don't really notice any "Soap Opera" effect at that setting.

Bob

post #18 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 PM

please tell me how to unable AMP? GOT A NEW SAMSUNG LED HDTV... HATE TO WATCH MOVIES THAT LOOK LIKE DOCUMENTARIES ALL THE TIME...
post #19 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeta Raut View Post

please tell me how to unable AMP? GOT A NEW SAMSUNG LED HDTV... HATE TO WATCH MOVIES THAT LOOK LIKE DOCUMENTARIES ALL THE TIME...
Use your remote, go into menu, find AMP, turn it off.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Liked: 14
I have a 2009 Toshiba with their version of this. It does not create the SOE. I also just purchased a new LG 55LM7600 with TrueMotion. It does create a small amount of SOE. But from what I've read and seen, the AMP on Samsung tv's have the biggest SOE when the feature is used. I for one do not like SOE.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page