Would you buy a 72" flat panel TV if it was available? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy a 72" flat panel TV if it were available at a reasonable price?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

There seems to be some "consternation" as to weather there is a market out there for a 72" flat panel TV.

Would you buy a 72" flat panel TV if it was available for roughly the same price as the 63-65" flat panel TVs that are made today?

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No. Don't have the space nor interest in having a monster TV dominate a room.
omeletpants is offline  
post #3 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
 
ROMAN O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nationwide Staples
Posts: 4,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes since I cant swing for the 85 inch Panasonic pro
ROMAN O is offline  
post #4 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member
 
TNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Bay Area CA
Posts: 1,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

No. Don't have the space nor interest in having a monster TV dominate a room.

Same here. I could go for upgrading my current set (4 years old), but omeletpants is right, I don't have the room for it, about 55 would be as big as I could go.
TNG is offline  
post #5 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spdntrxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pleasanton,Ca
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My answer would be "no" knowing roughly what the price would be.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
spdntrxi is offline  
post #6 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Member
 
brazen17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes since IMO smaller does not = movie experience. And no, I don't want to sit 4 feet away from a smaller screen! It's just not the same.
brazen17 is offline  
post #7 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
You forget to put "Probably," "Maybe," and ABSOLUTELY NOT! as other possible answers.

So I just checked (hell) no.
BoilerJim is online now  
post #8 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

My answer would be "no" knowing roughly what the price would be.

LOL, the question was...

If the price was roughly the same as a 63"-65" that is made today...


Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
post #9 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think a 72" is probably the "perfect" size...

I was amazed coming from a 52" to a 65" at just how much I had missed in the picture on the 52"...

I watch the same movies on the 65" that I did on the 52" and see things, in the background especially, that I never saw on the 52" - it's like a whole new movie...

I can only imagine what a 72" would bring...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
post #10 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spdntrxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pleasanton,Ca
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

LOL, the question was...

If the price was roughly the same as a 63"-65" that is made today...


yeah but price range from less then ~3k to ~6k (sammy 65 LCD) in that size range. So which is it ? 72" for $3k or $6k.. for $3k I might change my answer...but we know that is not happening soon. Just trying to add some realism to your question which it needs. 72 would be perfect for my room and viewing distance, 65 is ok since my wall mount is capable of moving 2' forward when needed.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
spdntrxi is offline  
post #11 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BoilerJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

I think a 72" is probably the "perfect" size...

I was amazed coming from a 52" to a 65" at just how much I had missed in the picture on the 52"...

I watch the same movies on the 65" that I did on the 52" and see things, in the background especially, that I never saw on the 52" - it's like a whole new movie...

I can only imagine what a 72" would bring...

Color me stupid, but I can't imagine having a behemoth of a TV in my living room at any price. Don't get me wrong, I love TV but I don't want my life dominated by one.
BoilerJim is online now  
post #12 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davegow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had cataract surgery so my eyesight is better than 20/20. For that reason I have no use for a TV that large unless I was going to watch it from another room. In my world not everything is Blu-ray perfect 1080p60. At the 10-11 or so feet I'd be likely to be sitting at, a 60 inch would be about ideal. A 72 inch would make signal imperfections on many of the satellite programs I like to watch much too grainy.
davegow is offline  
post #13 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,066
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 386
This "poll" again suffers from a selection bias that renders it pointless. If you just don't care, you are unlikely to respond to this poll. If you want a 72-inch TV, you are very likely to respond.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #14 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

This "poll" again suffers from a selection bias that renders it pointless. If you just don't care, you are unlikely to respond to this poll. If you want a 72-inch TV, you are very likely to respond.

The poll is only "pointless" to you because it totally goes against your ranting...

It is in no way a scientific poll, no, but it does gauge the relative feelings on the matter...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
post #15 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually when I got my 65" I just started to laugh before it was up on the wall...

It looked huge...

But once it was up on the wall and after watching a few movies I found myself wanting a bigger one...

Now looking at it, it doesn't seem "that" large

I think a 72" would be perfect...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
post #16 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Member
 
malkin71crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: the igloo
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen17 View Post

Yes since IMO smaller does not = movie experience. And no, I don't want to sit 4 feet away from a smaller screen! It's just not the same.

Agree!
malkin71crosby87 is offline  
post #17 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spdntrxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pleasanton,Ca
Posts: 1,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok.. if they can put a one inch bezel (or less) around the thing and one big flat piece of glass on the front basically make it look like an LG Infinia set... I'll take it. If it's a 72 inch version of the current panny 65VT25..then you can keep the monster.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
spdntrxi is offline  
post #18 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,066
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

The poll is only "pointless" to you because it totally goes against your ranting...

It is in no way a scientific poll, no, but it does gauge the relative feelings on the matter...

No, it does not gauge relative feelings on the matter. That's precisely what's wrong with it. You can run the poll if you want to; no one is going to stop you.

But the poll is irrelevant and completely invalid, even for "gauging relative feelings" because, again, the responses will fail due to selection bias. If you don't care, you won't respond. If you care, you are much, much more likely to respond.

There is not a large group of people who are opposed to 72-inch TVs; but there are a large group of people who will never buy them. In other words, they don't care.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #19 of 134 Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OP...if or when you run the the poll again it may work better if ask it in this manner...If the price the aesthetics and the build quality of the display were exactly the same what size would you prefer, a 46"/47" a 55" a 60" or a 72", or something close to that effect.
topr is offline  
post #20 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

No, it does not gauge relative feelings on the matter. That's precisely what's wrong with it. You can run the poll if you want to; no one is going to stop you.

But the poll is irrelevant and completely invalid, even for "gauging relative feelings" because, again, the responses will fail due to selection bias. If you don't care, you won't respond. If you care, you are much, much more likely to respond.

There is not a large group of people who are opposed to 72-inch TVs; but there are a large group of people who will never buy them. In other words, they don't care.

You are, quite frankly, wrong...

If you knew anything about research and "polling" (read) you would know that people are much more likely to go out of their way to voice a negative opinion than a positive one...

Again, it's not a scientific "poll", it is just informative and does gauge the relative feelings on a larger TV.

Sorry if the results are totally opposite of your "opinion" on the matter.

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
post #21 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am actually thinking of buying a 72" or even 82" flat panel for my bathroom. So basically my ceiling would be made of TV.
JamE55 is offline  
post #22 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #23 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The MAIN reason people dont buy a larger than 55" LCD/LED panel is because of PRICE !!!!!!

The MAIN reason panel most makers dont offer a larger than 55" LED/LED panel is because of PRICE !!!!

When there are 65" or 72" LCD/LED panels selling for the same prices 55 incher's are selling for right now, people will buy them.

A great example,,, the Panasonic 65" plasma's are almost always sold out or on back order,,,, and thats plasma,,, as we all know,, LCD/LED has gained a huge popularity over plasma but people are still buying the Panny 65 incher's because they offer the best bang for the buck for a 65" display.

On side note,,, Im buying a 65" Panny S2 plasma later this week even though I like LCD/LED more than plasma,,,,, Im just sick and tired of waiting for an LCD maker to come out with a 65" or bigger panel that is reasonably priced.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #24 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, I want one. I've owned a 73" for over 8 years and I wouldn't buy anything smaller (I have a large room and sit 12' away). I still love my picture but I'd like many of the features of newer flat panels. I would not pay over $5000 and at that price it would have to be great (and possibly cook or clean).
bmcleod is offline  
post #25 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Member
 
Turbo Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went from a 72" Samsung DLP to a Mitsubishi 82" DLP. The 72" would be a little small for me. If they made a larger flat screen at a reasonable price I would consider after my 4 year warranty is up. I sit at about 12 1/2' away from my screen.

McIntosh MX150 2-MC601's, 1-MC303, MCD500, MVP881BR, MCLK12, Parasound Z v.3 zone amp, Parasound Z v.2 zone tuner, Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3d blue ray player, Wadia 171i transport, Mac Mini, JL113 Subwoofer, Direct tv dvr, Mitsubishi 82837 & 3DC-1000 3d starter pack, Martin Logan CLX aniversary,...
Turbo Ron is offline  
post #26 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There have always been monster TV like projection and RVPT and DLP and they haven't been very popular. To say a certain size is on back order is meaningless because not many were made. The sale of a 70" set would be rounding error on the industry total of sets sold.

Fact is the average house and room sizes won't support these behemoths. The average house in America doesn't have a basement or rec room. Additionally, most people don't want a TV to dominate their lives and take over rooms. It doesn't fit into the decor or room proportions. This forum represents a minute subset of the consumer population and hardly representative of the desires of the real world.

Again, look at RVPT popularity for your answer.
omeletpants is offline  
post #27 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Pologuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

There have always been monster TV like projection and RVPT and DLP and they haven't been very popular. To say a certain size is on back order is meaningless because not many were made. The sale of a 70" set would be rounding error on the industry total of sets sold.

Fact is the average house and room sizes won't support these behemoths. The average house in America doesn't have a basement or rec room. Additionally, most people don't want a TV to dominate their lives and take over rooms. It doesn't fit into the decor or room proportions. This forum represents a minute subset of the consumer population and hardly representative of the desires of the real world.

Again, look at RVPT popularity for your answer.

That is totally wrong...

You can not compare something 18" thick with something 2" thick...

The main reason for low RVPT sales it that they are extremely large (as in thick)...

Today, I would not want a RVTP in any size...

And once you hang a 72" on the wall, it is completely out of the way and looks stunning...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Pologuy is offline  
post #28 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

That is totally wrong...

You can not compare something 18" thick with something 2" thick...

The main reason for low RVPT sales it that they are extremely large (as in thick)...

Today, I would not want a RVTP in any size...

And once you hang a 72" on the wall, it is completely out of the way and looks stunning...

Nonsense. Thickness has nothing to do with it. In the scheme of things 18" in a room is meaningless. "Thickness" that's very funny and you are reaching.

Then you bring up wall mounts to support your argument. I would venture to say that only a fraction of 1% of all HDTVs sold are wall mounted. So, all the arguments "for" here revolve around niche product demand that you can't prove. The proof on my side is that the percentage of monster TVs to total TVs sold is miniscule. Until there is real demand you are speculating.
omeletpants is offline  
post #29 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
topr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Nonsense. Thickness has nothing to do with it. In the scheme of things 18" in a room is meaningless. "Thickness" that's very funny and you are reaching.

What? If it's meaningless why is the ENTIRE industry designing panels around being thin and we are talking about getting from 4" to 1 1/2", not to mention the depth of a rear projection display. How can you on one hand argue people don't want a huge display dominating their room and then turn around and argue an RPTV 18" deep with a huge footprint is meaningless in the scheme of things?
topr is offline  
post #30 of 134 Old 11-09-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
omeletpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

What? If it's meaningless why is the ENTIRE industry designing panels around being thin and we are talking about getting from 4" to 1 1/2", not to mention the depth of a rear projection display. How can you on one hand argue people don't want a huge display dominating their room and then turn around and argue an RPTV 18" deep with a huge footprint is meaningless in the scheme of things?

If people don't want a monster 72" tv it's not because it's 18" deep, it's because it has the height and width of a 72" tv.
omeletpants is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off