Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1672 Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So...what's the common thoughts for 3d crosstalk/ghosting issues? I tested today with my HTPC doing side-by-side HD and there's DEFINITELY bleed through between what each eye should see.

I did this by opening a side-by-side 3d movie in WMP. I then set the TV to do side-by-side 3d. Now...when the mouse cursor is on the 'right' side of the HTPC output I should ONLY be able to see it with my right eye. Nope - you can definitely see it with the other eye - and it's not a 'faint' ghost - it's there and pretty visible.

Is this just an artifact of the HTPC output, screwed up glasses, screwed up TV, just 3D as it is now, etc?

I can borrow a PS3 from someone to test 'true' bluray 3d if needed...not sure if there should be variability in output between SBS/TB/whatever Bluray3d uses (sensio?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1672 Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM

With Picture Mode set to Normal, I find that SD channels are displayed from edge to edge as if in Wide mode. This is with and HDMI connection.

With a component cable connection an SD channel is displayed in 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on each side as the manual (page 20) says it should. The TV tuner also displays SD correctly in 4:3.

I'm wondering if all XVT3D554SV's display SD channels so they fill the screen when the Picture Mode is set to Normal and an HDMI connection is used.
post #363 of 1672 Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTX View Post

With Picture Mode set to Normal, I find that SD channels are displayed from edge to edge as if in Wide mode. This is with and HDMI connection.

With a component cable connection an SD channel is displayed in 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on each side as the manual (page 20) says it should. The TV tuner also displays SD correctly in 4:3.

I'm wondering if all XVT3D554SV's display SD channels so they fill the screen when the Picture Mode is set to Normal and an HDMI connection is used.

For me, it depends on how I set my Comcast HD box. I can set the Comcast box to display SD content to either strech out and fill the screen or to display in its native 4:3 size. I prefer to display it at its native size. I just leave the TV setting to "Normal".
post #364 of 1672 Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

My SD picture is 4:3 and I'm using an HDMI. Picture mode is set at normal and I've got my Comcast box set at 16:9. Hope that helps.
post #365 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancyr View Post

So...what's the common thoughts for 3d crosstalk/ghosting issues? I tested today with my HTPC doing side-by-side HD and there's DEFINITELY bleed through between what each eye should see.

I did this by opening a side-by-side 3d movie in WMP. I then set the TV to do side-by-side 3d. Now...when the mouse cursor is on the 'right' side of the HTPC output I should ONLY be able to see it with my right eye. Nope - you can definitely see it with the other eye - and it's not a 'faint' ghost - it's there and pretty visible.

Is this just an artifact of the HTPC output, screwed up glasses, screwed up TV, just 3D as it is now, etc?

I can borrow a PS3 from someone to test 'true' bluray 3d if needed...not sure if there should be variability in output between SBS/TB/whatever Bluray3d uses (sensio?).

I agree that 3D ghosting is horrible on this set. I have watched 6 3D Blu-Rays, and ALL of them exhibited extreme ghosting and cross-talk, especially is the mid-to-background areas, and, as such, unwatchable (to me). I have tried 2 different pairs of glasses, fully-charged, to no avail.

The other issue I am having with this tv is backlit "zones" staying lit after an image has changed or moved. For example, I have an OPPO 93 BD player, and when the Oppo screen saver logo bounces around, the auto-dimming zones light-up for each area the logo moves to. But, once the logo leaves that "zone,", the back light stays lit for 5-15 seconds, forming grey "clouds" on the black screen. This is even more pronounced when the logo bounces off an edge, as the "clouds" stay there even longer. I have also observed this behavior during BD movies and the end rolling credits.

As a result, I will be returning this set and will not be getting another, mainly due to the very poor 3D. If you search the internet, you will find similar issues with this set. I'm going to give a Panasonic TC-P54VT25 Plasma a try as I hear it has the best 3D currently available, and yes I know Plasma's have their own problems, as do ALL TV's (except maybe the Kuros!).
post #366 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post

For me, it depends on how I set my Comcast HD box. I can set the Comcast box to display SD content to either strech out and fill the screen or to display in its native 4:3 size. I prefer to display it at its native size. I just leave the TV setting to "Normal".

Thanks dankirk and ten8dp. I have a TiVo. If I click Info on the TV remote while viewing an SD channel, it displays 480i which is SD. The TV still streches this to fill the screen. I'm curious what you show when viewing an SD channel. I'm wondering if the Comcast box is actually formating the SD frame and send the picture with the black bars to the TV as HD. If this is the case I would expect the Info button to display either 720p or 1080i.
post #367 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the ghosting/crosstalk issues that people have with this set is directly related to 3D content, NOT 2D, right? I'm still looking for a set with excellent 2D (not worried about 3D). I believe this is it but the more I read, the more confused I get.
post #368 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_T View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the ghosting/crosstalk issues that people have with this set is directly related to 3D content, NOT 2D, right? I'm still looking for a set with excellent 2D (not worried about 3D). I believe this is it but the more I read, the more confused I get.

These are excellent 2D sets! I have no interest in 3D either and after almost 3 weeks with the 47", I am still stunned at the 2D picture quality
post #369 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 AM

The 2d is great...but my view is that if the TV I paid good money for has a feature that doesn't work...even if I don't use it much...that's a problem.
post #370 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyrott View Post

As a result, I will be returning this set and will not be getting another, mainly due to the very poor 3D. If you search the internet, you will find similar issues with this set. I'm going to give a Panasonic TC-P54VT25 Plasma a try as I hear it has the best 3D currently available, and yes I know Plasma's have their own problems, as do ALL TV's (except maybe the Kuros!).

I'm debating what to do now. I have some time to keep testing it, but everything I read says other tv's have similar problems. I really prefer LCD due to the need to not always darken the room to watch anything...but I want something that works across the board and all the features it has WORK.
post #371 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_T View Post

Well no TV is perfect to everybody. Everyone has a different perception of how an image should look to them. That said most reviews of this set are very positive. Some like the similar 2D 240Hz XVT 553 with its matte screen. The 3D 480Hz XVT 554 is a high gloss screen.

The one really important thing to me is both Vizio models 553 & 554 have excellent/wide viewing angles. Sony & Sami & most other local dimming LEDs have very narrow viewing angles. Having an excellent picture only when viewed straight on is a non starter for me. I love my 554. Even the 3D is fine depending on the content.

Just buy whatever TV you chose from a reputable source so you can return it if your eyes don't like it.
post #372 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

So...what's the common thoughts for 3d crosstalk/ghosting issues? I tested today with my HTPC doing side-by-side HD and there's DEFINITELY bleed through between what each eye should see.....

I'd suggest borrowing a PS3 & testing a bluray 3D movie. It might just be a HTPC issue. Are you sure the PC HDMI is outputing 3D? The TV should automatically sense the content & begin transmitting in the correct 3D mode. All you should have to do is activate your 3D glasses to sync the shutters with the TV's images.
post #373 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo7883 View Post

I just wanted to jump in and say that Killzone 3 beta in 3D is Awesome!! I'm sure Vizio will do A firmware upgrade sometime to get the 3D crosstalk better in gaming. I have A Vizio XVT55 and have no complaints, but the only 3D tv I have Is A Sony 55" LCD and the PS3 3D games look great very little if any crosstalk that is why I would think that it should be able to be fixed with A firmware upgrade. I cant wait to see the 65" vizio 3D on display.

The only thing is that it has been months and no firmware update. I'm wondering if one will ever come - and IF one does come, would it even fix the crosstalk in 3d stuff??
Is Vizio even aware of their crosstalk problem?
post #374 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks dankirk and ten8dp. I have a TiVo. If I click Info on the TV remote while viewing an SD channel, it displays 480i which is SD. The TV still stretches this to fill the screen. I'm curious what you show when viewing an SD channel. I'm wondering if the Comcast box is actually formating the SD frame and send the picture with the black bars to the TV as HD. If this is the case I would expect the Info button to display either 720p or 1080i.

With my Comcast HD DVR box, I can set it up to upconvert everything to 1080i, or to send it to the TV at its "Native" resolution. I usually set it to "Native", and the SD programing is displayed as 480p when I press "Info". I can also set the Comcast box to "Stretch" SD programing, or not. Again, the TV is set for "Normal", and it just displays whatever the Comcast box sends to it.
post #375 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous_pb View Post

The only thing is that it has been months and no firmware update. I'm wondering if one will ever come - and IF one does come, would it even fix the crosstalk in 3d stuff??
Is Vizio even aware of their crosstalk problem?

Crosstalk is a hardware issue. No firmware update is going to be able to do a thing about it.
post #376 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini1 View Post

Setup issue: Using existing wall mount, but the 55" Vizio has a M8 screw requirement. Paper manual listed 0.7" pitch screw that we couldn't find anywhere. After hours of searching, I made my way back to Vizio site and it has an updated manual stating 1.25" pitch screw, which you can actually find at the local hardware store. Annoying delay, but hanging nicely now. Then had trouble setting up internet. I used WPA2 Personal settings and couldn't get the entire code to enter. Switched to WPA today on my 5Ghz router setting and it worked.

Reflective as everyone says. I have it in a room with a lot of windows, but use mainly when dark. May feel differently in the summer about not minding the reflectiveness. Picture does look outstanding. Took the place of my 52" Sharp (that had some level of banding) and the difference is major.

We also have the 'soap opera' look, but I just used the suggestion above and moved the "smooth motion effect" to off. So far in the couple of shows I turned to, not noticing the 'soap opera' effect. Much better.

One other issue I am still working on is that I tried The Matrix blueray on PS3 and lots of excess green. I turned the green settings way down (like in the 80s) and still see a green tint in the face of the characters. Maybe an effect from the movie over using green? I'll have to try some other movies.

Picture in general on 2D looks awesome across most of the channels, but still can't figure out the green tint in certain circumstances. Tried Lord of the Rings BlueRay on PS3 and no green tint like The Matrix. Then used "basketball" picture mode to watch a game yesterday and the picture was great other than green tint on the court shadows and distant hall lights. Any thoughts other than changing the green settings across all the picture settings?
post #377 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I'd suggest borrowing a PS3 & testing a bluray 3D movie. It might just be a HTPC issue. Are you sure the PC HDMI is outputing 3D? The TV should automatically sense the content & begin transmitting in the correct 3D mode. All you should have to do is activate your 3D glasses to sync the shutters with the TV's images.

Well, the HTPC is outputting side-by-side and I'm manually switching to 3D SBS mode. This is all thats available using my current HTPC setup and even my FIOS cable...unfortunately. I guess I'll borrow the PS3...maybe this weekend.
post #378 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Well, the HTPC is outputting side-by-side and I'm manually switching to 3D SBS mode. This is all thats available using my current HTPC setup and even my FIOS cable...unfortunately. I guess I'll borrow the PS3...maybe this weekend.

FYI: I have a PS3 Slim as well as the Oppo 93 and there is no difference between the 2 regarding ghosting and crosstalk in 3D mode on this set, both equally bad.
post #379 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:

With my Comcast HD DVR box, I can set it up to upconvert everything to 1080i, or to send it to the TV at its "Native" resolution. I usually set it to "Native", and the SD programing is displayed as 480p when I press "Info". I can also set the Comcast box to "Stretch" SD programing, or not. Again, the TV is set for "Normal", and it just displays whatever the Comcast box sends to it.

dankirk,
To clarify one more time. If your XVT3D... receives an SD picture shown as 480p in the Info, via an HDMI connection, it displays it in 4:3 with black bars on each side when the Picture Mode is set to Normal as described on page 20 of the manual.

Could you confirm that this is how your set works. I want to convince Vizio Tech Support that I have a problem.

Under these exact same conditions, my set expands the picture to fill the screen. If I use a component cable connection my set will display it in 4:3 with black bars.
post #380 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
dankirk,
To clarify one more time. If your XVT3D... receives an SD picture shown as 480p in the Info, via an HDMI connection, it displays it in 4:3 with black bars on each side when the Picture Mode is set to Normal as described on page 20 of the manual.

Could you confirm that this is how your set works. I want to convince Vizio Tech Support that I have a problem.

Under these exact same conditions, my set expands the picture to fill the screen. If I use a component cable connection my set will display it in 4:3 with black bars.
As long as I don't have the Comcast box set to "stretch" the SD image, then it displays it with black bars. If you can, plug your HDMI cable into another TV and see how it displays the image. Perhaps your TiVo is stretching your SD channels.
post #381 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got it Sat from Sam's Club w/ a pair of 3D glasses.

Nice step up from my 4 yr old Mitsubitchi 52 DLP which I was seeing annoying rainbows on, and had spent 300 dollars in bulbs.

Still trying to decide which settings produce best pic to my eyes.
Is there a consensus on settings from u owners on this set?

watched the Directv n3d channel and it's so-so. Good at times, ghosting at others.

Any feedback appreciated

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #382 of 1672 Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Some like the similar 2D 240Hz XVT 553 with its matte screen. The 3D 480Hz XVT 554 is a high gloss screen.

The one really important thing to me is both Vizio models 553 & 554 have excellent/wide viewing angles.

Actually, although the 554 has a glossier screen than the 553, it couldn't be called high gloss. There is still some definite dulling of reflections with the coating used on the glass of the 554. I mentioned in another post previously that I compared the 554 and a 55" LG side-by-side in a store, and the LG screen was significantly more glossy in reflecting the overhead flourescent lighting.

Wide viewing angle was an important starting point for my search as well. Generally the Vizios seem to have good reviews in this area, although the CNET review of the 553 mentioned a narrow viewing angle. Pretty much all other reviews, including Consumer Reports, indicated a wide viewing angle.

How that wide viewing angle meshes with the blooming issues is a bit of a mystery to me, though. I get blooming, too, although it seems to depend on the feed material. By blooming I mean that a dark area of the screen lightens up when the screen is viewed from the side, or when looking up or down at the screen. Sometimes this seems more significant than other times, and you have to be looking for it.

I am going to do some more looking at my 554, and at other sets, to try to decide how the blooming compares between them. I haven't tried altering the out-of-the box settings on my set, and need to fiddle around with that, too.
post #383 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 AM

My wife was watching the news this morning like she always does and the TV apparently went black, with the Vizio log on the front flashing between the "off" orange and "on" white/light blue. The logo was flashing back and forth for a few seconds and the TV kicked back on. I was just sitting up in the bed when she yelled to me from the living room that the "TV just shut off". By the time I put my feet on the floor and put my robe on, the TV had come back on, so it only occured for maybe 10 seconds or so.

I checked for a possible firmware update and to see if maybe there was an issue with VIA like I saw before, but same firmware and no issues to be seen. The TV worked fine for the remainder of the morning (about another hour or so).

Any idea as to what happened here? The manual shows nothing related to this and I think I'll hit up the online chat support when I get home from work this afternoon. I'm already extremely disappointed in the 3D on this set, I feel like maybe I'm looking for another reason to take it back at this point.
post #384 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post

My wife was watching the news this morning like she always does and the TV apparently went black, with the Vizio log on the front flashing between the "off" orange and "on" white/light blue. The logo was flashing back and forth for a few seconds and the TV kicked back on. I was just sitting up in the bed when she yelled to me from the living room that the "TV just shut off". By the time I put my feet on the floor and put my robe on, the TV had come back on, so it only occured for maybe 10 seconds or so.

I checked for a possible firmware update and to see if maybe there was an issue with VIA like I saw before, but same firmware and no issues to be seen. The TV worked fine for the remainder of the morning (about another hour or so).

Any idea as to what happened here? The manual shows nothing related to this and I think I'll hit up the online chat support when I get home from work this afternoon. I'm already extremely disappointed in the 3D on this set, I feel like maybe I'm looking for another reason to take it back at this point.

The same exact thing happened to me the other day. Don't know why - was hoping it was a firmware update too, but no update.

And I too am disappointed in the 3d of this tv. Sure, the 2d is great, but was hoping the 3d didn't suffer with all this crosstalk and ghosting... It makes most 3d games unplayable.
post #385 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 AM

So...are people returning because of lackluster 3d performance?

Also, on the blinking thing - I believe I read somewhere else regarding the VIA tv's that the blinking means the TV is rebooting after a crash and recovering to make sure nothing further gets screwed. While screwing around with a demo model in Sams, I caused it to do this by accidentally shutting it off and turning it back on again twice in a row. (i.e., not letting it fully power on).
post #386 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 08:53 AM

I purchased an XVT3D554SV over the weekend and have been pretty pleased overall, but I am having two odd issues:

1) When I play Playstation 3 games everything works fine until I put the tv into Game Mode. As soon as i do after a minute or so the picture flickers a little and then after another 20 or 30 seconds it goes completely black for a half second or so and then comes back on. Then it goes in 20 to 30 second cycles of either flickering or going black. Sometimes when it goes black there is also a small amount of green in the picture for a split second. As soon as i turn Game Mode off the problem stops. Trying different HDMI cables and different HDMI inputs did not help.

and 2) I did not purchase 3D glasses and probably never will (I got the 554 instead of the 553 because I was able to get the 554 cheaper at the time), and I do not intend to play Playstation 3 games in 3D mode. I tried playing COD Black Ops yesterday and while the game loads and plays the initial introduction the tv input info kicks on in the top right corner of the screen and says the resolution is 1080p, as it should be for that game. I then get a popup from the TV asking me if i want to play the game in 3D, and as soon as I select 'No' the input info pops back up and says the resolution is 720p. The resolution should stay at 1080p, and changing HDMI inputs (including the Side input) did not help. At that point the tv is also going into a Picture Mode called 3D. The tv will not let me select the Picture Mode field at all and i cannot change it to any other Picture Mode until i exit the game.

Anybody seen any similar issues? I plan to check with Vizio tech support but I figured I'd check here as well.

Thanks!
post #387 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

As long as I don't have the Comcast box set to "stretch" the SD image, then it displays it with black bars. If you can, plug your HDMI cable into another TV and see how it displays the image. Perhaps your TiVo is stretching your SD channels.

dankirk,
Thanks for the help.
I've used my TiVo with both Mitsubishi and Samsung HD TV's. Both of those sets display SD channels as 4:3. I think that since the XVT3D554SV says that it's receiving a 480p signal that means the TiVo is outputing an SD picture.

I just went to Sam's Club with a DVD player set to output to a 4:3 TV in 480p. I hooked it up to their floor model. It also indicated that it was receiving a 480p signal and it also stretched the picture to fill the screen exactly like my set does.

It's interesting that if I connect using a component cable the set does switch to 4:3 when it receives a 480p signal.

The revision level (Menu->Help->System Info) of both my set and the one at Sam's is VIZIO_XP1.21.2.1. This seems to be what everyone's at.

If you have any more ideas, please let me know. This is kinda important to me. I've got 90 days to decide if I want to return the set.

Thanks for your help.
post #388 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLOUDDEAD View Post

I purchased an XVT3D554SV over the weekend and have been pretty pleased overall, but I am having two odd issues:

1) When I play Playstation 3 games everything works fine until I put the tv into Game Mode. As soon as i do after a minute or so the picture flickers a little and then after another 20 or 30 seconds it goes completely black for a half second or so and then comes back on. Then it goes in 20 to 30 second cycles of either flickering or going black. Sometimes when it goes black there is also a small amount of green in the picture for a split second. As soon as i turn Game Mode off the problem stops. Trying different HDMI cables and different HDMI inputs did not help.

Anybody seen any similar issues? I plan to check with Vizio tech support but I figured I'd check here as well.

Thanks!

yup, "game mode" is the problem. turn it off - it doesn't really do anything noticeable that I have seen anyway. Same thing happened to me when I played god of war 3. it's not the smooth motion, it's the actual "game mode," because you can turn off all the stuff that "game mode" turns off, and if "game mode" is still enabled, the problem will happen.

shut it off and forget about it.
post #389 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLOUDDEAD View Post

I tried playing COD Black Ops yesterday and while the game loads and plays the initial introduction the tv input info kicks on in the top right corner of the screen and says the resolution is 1080p, as it should be for that game. I then get a popup from the TV asking me if i want to play the game in 3D, and as soon as I select 'No' the input info pops back up and says the resolution is 720p.

This issue isn't the TV, it's the game I believe. COD:BO on the PS3 is natively 600p and scaled to whatever your TV is, from what I quickly saw on google. It SHOULD upscale to 1080p, but...not totally sure. I'd check the PS3 first and ensure it's not that (with another TV).

As for your first issue, someone reported that same thing on the 553 - check that thread for more info.
post #390 of 1672 Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

This issue isn't the TV, it's the game I believe. COD:BO on the PS3 is natively 600p and scaled to whatever your TV is, from what I quickly saw on google. It SHOULD upscale to 1080p, but...not totally sure. I'd check the PS3 first and ensure it's not that (with another TV).

As for your first issue, someone reported that same thing on the 553 - check that thread for more info.

I just posted it in the 553 thread I'll look back a little ways though. I've ready pretty much the entire 553 thread minus the most recent 5 or so pages and don't recall seeing that. And it is a little weak that it doesn't act right...

Also - any ideas about the tv forcing itself into 3D Picture Mode and not letting me into any other modes when I have said NO to playing the game in 3D?

As far as the 1080p goes the game says on the box "Video output in Full HD 1080p requires an HDMI cable and a 1080p native display with an HDMI input supporting HDCP". I think I am meeting all of the requirements... that is assuming the HDMI inputs support HDCP.

I'd really like to get this figured out as COD Black Ops in 720p seems to look noticably bad on this tv. Either that or it just looks bad on this tv period :/

As I recall it would output 1080p on my previous Sony NX800 and Z5100s.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page