Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1669 Old 03-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My AV Receiver is a few years old so it does not have HDMI so I can not test ARC support. I'm using optical between TV and AV Receiver. I checked the Advanced Audio menu items (based on comments/location from xvt553sv owners) and did not see reference to CEC under the VIZIO_XP1.28.0.2 firmware.

A new finding as to random power offs possibly linked to Yahoo News widget. I had a 2 more power offs after removing Yahoo News. The next to last widget added was 1337 PWN (for xbox live gamertag status). So I removed that widget as well and went almost 2 days with no random power offs. I added back in Yahoo News and so far so good. Perhaps the 1337 PWN widget was the cause the random power off (prossibly its interaction with all the other active widgets). Anyone else running the 1337 PWN widget with no issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1669 Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the info BluThunder.
post #453 of 1669 Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM

I bought the XVT3D474SV last week from Amazon. I have scoured the internet for professional grade calibration settings but the only results I could get were for the XVT473SV series. I tried those settings, which were given by cnet. Picture did not even come close to my expectations. If anyone could direct me to a link or website or post their picture settings, I would be extremely grateful.

I have the Verizon FIOS TV package and PS3 for blu ray and gaming. Would I need to calibrate both devices separately in order for me to get the best picture for each device? Thanks
post #454 of 1669 Old 03-03-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonC-688 View Post

I bought the XVT3D474SV last week from Amazon. I have scoured the internet for professional grade calibration settings but the only results I could get were for the XVT473SV series. I tried those settings, which were given by cnet. Picture did not even come close to my expectations. If anyone could direct me to a link or website or post their picture settings, I would be extremely grateful.

No reviews of the XVT3Dxx4 series yet. The similar XVTxx3 series has calibrations from cnet, televisioninfo & hometheater. I use the hometheater settings especially in terms of contrast, brightness, & picture temperature (color gain & offset). Using the Blue filter from Disney's World of Wonder I calibrated Color to 45 and Tint to zero. I have my ambient light sensor on high and adaptive luma off. Have fun
post #455 of 1669 Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Liked: 12
For those of you using the stand, does the tv lean slightly back at the top?

Mine is.

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #456 of 1669 Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post

For those of you using the stand, does the tv lean slightly back at the top?

Mine is.

My 553 leans slightly back. I placed some foam under the rear of the stand to angle it slightly forward.
post #457 of 1669 Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Turbofan View Post

My 553 leans slightly back. I placed some foam under the rear of the stand to angle it slightly forward.

Mine seems to lean forward, a little. It might be the table it's on, though.
post #458 of 1669 Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 AM

I've always thought mine leans slightly forward, but I have it on a swivel stand and just assumed I didn't have the TV centered on the stand. It's an insanely slight pitch though and of no concern to me. I notice slightly imperfect lines though since working for a sign shop back in my day. If something is an 1/8" off-center, I'll notice it.....it's a terrible burden, haha.
post #459 of 1669 Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 PM

For a guy named "Blurredvision", u sure r seeing a lot of stuff, LOL!

However, I am like u...I notice way too many details of things askew, and they do annoy me way more than they should.

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #460 of 1669 Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

No reviews of the XVT3Dxx4 series yet. The similar XVTxx3 series has calibrations from cnet, televisioninfo & hometheater. I use the hometheater settings especially in terms of contrast, brightness, & picture temperature (color gain & offset). Using the Blue filter from Disney's World of Wonder I calibrated Color to 45 and Tint to zero. I have my ambient light sensor on high and adaptive luma off. Have fun

Thanks for the help naustin
post #461 of 1669 Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Video game settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +70 (75 more pop)
Brightness - +45-48
Contrast - +50
Color - +45-48
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +0-5

Color Temperature - Custom
Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - Off
Noise Reduction - Off or Low
Color Enhancement -Off (Normal or Rich Color pops more)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON
Ambient Light Sensor - Off

Movie Settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Movie
BackLight - +40- (A) 50
Brightness - +48- (L) 46
Contrast - +48- (T) 50
Color - +46 (Settings)
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +0-5

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - Off
Color Enhancement - Off
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

Cable/Sat settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +70(75 for sports)
Brightness - +45-48
Contrast - +50
Color - +45-48
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +0-6

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - Off
Color Enhancement - Normal or(Rich Color pops more)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

3D settings
Video game settings:

Picture
Picture Mode - 3D
BackLight - +6
Brightness - +50
Contrast - +50
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +0-6

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - Off
Noise Reduction - Off
Color Enhancement -Off
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - Off
Smart Dimming - ON

3D settings
Movie settings:

Picture
Picture Mode - 3D
BackLight - +4
Brightness - +50
Contrast - +50
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +0-5

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - Off
Noise Reduction - Off
Color Enhancement -Off
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - Off
Smart Dimming - ON
post #462 of 1669 Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 AM

It has been stated here before but the quality of 3D is very dependent on the quality of the source material. I have all of the DTV channels and very few look impressive. But I also have my computer connected using a Nvidia GTX570 card. The 3D is simply amazing. COD Black Ops is perfection. I have even adjusted the depth slider out to 25% and still no ghosting. The two best 3D BluRay titles I have seen are Despicable Me and The Legend of the Guardians. The 3D quality blows away anything you will see in the theater. There is no ghosting and the images do pop out.
post #463 of 1669 Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Just picked up the 42" today. Will be interesting to see if I'm going to have any 3D problems with my DirecTV HD reciever picking up 3D signal. I thought I read somewhere on their forums that people either got it to work or they didn't or 3D was working in 720p. Anyway do you know if you have to use Vizio's 3D glasses?
post #464 of 1669 Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 PM

You will have to use the Vizio glasses for 3d with that TV. You can buy them at Costco for $150 for 2 Pair. Vizio does have a 65" 3d TV that can use passive glasses but reviews have been pretty negative about the picture quality in both 2d and 3d of that model.

It's Up To You...
post #465 of 1669 Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadolfan View Post
Just picked up the 42" today. Will be interesting to see if I'm going to have any 3D problems with my DirecTV HD reciever picking up 3D signal. I thought I read somewhere on their forums that people either got it to work or they didn't or 3D was working in 720p.
Please report back how you fare. I've never once seen ESPN3D work on DirecTV with my 474SV. I always get the message "This program is broadcast in 720p. Your TV does not support this resolution." Sometimes "720p" is replaced with "1080p/24" depending on the content they are sending.

From what I've read, it's because DirecTV sends the station in some 3D format that the Vizio doesn't do, but I occasionally read about people saying it works on their Vizio set, which doesn't make any sense to me.
post #466 of 1669 Old 03-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post

Please report back how you fare. I've never once seen ESPN3D work on DirecTV with my 474SV. I always get the message "This program is broadcast in 720p. Your TV does not support this resolution." Sometimes "720p" is replaced with "1080p/24" depending on the content they are sending.

From what I've read, it's because DirecTV sends the station in some 3D format that the Vizio doesn't do, but I occasionally read about people saying it works on their Vizio set, which doesn't make any sense to me.

2 things. What model receiver are you using? And have you reset your receiver? I was getting the message also until I did a reset. Also I have heard that if you have an older receiver it will not work. I am currently using their newest receiver the hr24-200.
post #467 of 1669 Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

2 things. What model receiver are you using? And have you reset your receiver? I was getting the message also until I did a reset. Also I have heard that if you have an older receiver it will not work. I am currently using their newest receiver the hr24-200.

I use HDDVR model HR21 and have not tried a reset. I see three options: "Restart Receiver", "Reset Defaults", and "Reset Everything". Should I go with "Reset Everything"? Will my recorded programs be retained?

Looks like the next ESPN broadcast is Tuesday night, so I'll try resetting at that point and see how it goes. I'll report back.
post #468 of 1669 Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:

I use HDDVR model HR21 and have not tried a reset. I see three options: "Restart Receiver", "Reset Defaults", and "Reset Everything". Should I go with "Reset Everything"? Will my recorded programs be retained?

Looks like the next ESPN broadcast is Tuesday night, so I'll try resetting at that point and see how it goes. I'll report back.

You can choose "Restart Receiver" or you can open the panel where your access card is located and press the red button. With both of these methods you will not loose any recordings and all your settings will remain intact.
post #469 of 1669 Old 03-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

You can choose "Restart Receiver" or you can open the panel where your access card is located and press the red button. With both of these methods you will not loose any recordings and all your settings will remain intact.

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot when there is some content on.
post #470 of 1669 Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenx View Post

You will have to use the Vizio glasses for 3d with that TV. You can buy them at Costco for $150 for 2 Pair. Vizio does have a 65" 3d TV that can use passive glasses but reviews have been pretty negative about the picture quality in both 2d and 3d of that model.

Thanks sevenx. Yeah I saw them there. I'll have to pick them up down the road. Not ready to fork over $150 just yet. I noticed on the Vizio site that they also sell a cheaper Theatre 3D glasses. What is the difference between this one and the Vizio Active 3D glasses?
post #471 of 1669 Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I hooked the tv up and I noticed that the DirecTV box recognized the 3D because I could tune into them. I noticed the picture looked 3D'ish and it looked to be brodcasting in 1080 that's what it says on the reciever. I guess I won't really know until I get the glasses.
post #472 of 1669 Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM

The "Theater" 3d glasses are not active shutter glasses. They'll work in a Real 3d movie theater or with the 65" Passive 3d Vizio TV but not with the 47" or 55".

It's Up To You...
post #473 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadolfan View Post
I hooked the tv up and I noticed that the DirecTV box recognized the 3D because I could tune into them. I noticed the picture looked 3D'ish and it looked to be brodcasting in 1080 that's what it says on the reciever. I guess I won't really know until I get the glasses.
There hasn't been any content on ESPN 3D the past couple of days. The ESPN 3D channel went 24/7 but for some reason DirecTV didn't pick it up and are still only showing certain live broadcasts. What I'm assuming you saw on channel 106 is the DirecTV logo, which always works fine. It's when the channel is actually showing a program is when you could possibly get the error.

Try tuning back in tonight, they will be showing the Big East tournament. I'm hoping restarting my receiver will be an easy fix to my ESPN 3D woes.
post #474 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anyone know if this is on sale anywhere? I've been to Costco buts its $1999 there. I know the PQ is great on this set because of the full array backlight but is the picture that much better than the Toshiba 3D set that is being offered for $1499 with free glasses.
post #475 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Yes
post #476 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM

There's an interesting new article at CNET. Essentially, their TV reviewer (David Katzmaier) says that, as far as 2D-only sets, the best has already been. That is, if someone is looking at getting the best 2D-only set, he better pick up a 2010 model. This year, all the best sets will be 3D compatable, because that's where the manufacturers put their best features and performance now. Here's some quotes:

"TV makers build 3D into their higher-end TVs, and higher-end TVs usually have better picture quality."

"Also, if you are considering waiting for a "2D-only" 2011 TV, it'll probably be a worse performer than 2010 versions below (for example, no 2D-only full-array local-dimming LEDs will ship in 2011). With the addition of 3D to even lower price/features points in manufacturers' lineups, non-3D TVs will be pushed down further toward the entry-level."

"That's not a big deal if you just want a lower-end TV, but if you're willing to pay a bit more for a better 2D picture in 2011, it's likely you'll be getting 3D, too--along with the video streaming, a nonmatte screen, etc. For better or for worse, TV makers don't put their best picture quality into stripped-down models."

It's interesting to note that nonmatte screens are mentioned as coming with these "higher end" 3d sets. The nonmatte screens on the Vizio 3D sets have been mentioned as being faster and necessary for the 3D. Those who have bemoaned the nonmatte screen on the 554 should take heart! As I have mentioned before, it's reasonable to think that here had to be a reason for the switch away from the matte 553 screen, and that reason must have to do with an improved picture. All in all, although I paid more for it, I'm happy I got the 554 rather than the 553. Although the 553 is a great set, I'm convinced that there were some improvements made in the 554. The comment made above by another poster regarding improved performance on the 554 with respect to blooming was very interesting. I have no way to confirm that myself, but of course I hope this is correct. Given the higher refresh rate, different screen, etc. - there have to be some performance differences with the 554.

Also, it appears there are fewer problems with the 554, doesn't it? Granted the 554 is a newer model, but still, looking at the huge 553 thread and its comments, compared to this 554 thread, it would seem there are far fewer problems mentioned with the 554.
post #477 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM

+ one regarding 2d in 2011. I am however curious at Vizio's 2011 555 series which is supposed to have both active and passive 3D capabilities....
post #478 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Well, it will be interesting to see what the 2012 models offer. And the 2013 models, too, for that matter. Toshiba is supposedly ready to market a 3D set that doesn't require glasses at all. Of course, there's always something better in the future. My future is limited, though, and what's important to me is what I'm watching right now. (>:
post #479 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Oops I meant 2011 Vizio 555s
post #480 of 1669 Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM

Any ideas when they might turn on ARC support?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page