Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1672 Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Turbofan View Post

The Vizio panel is actually made by a "LG" factory in China.

Roger that. Both the LG LX series and the Vizio XVT series use In Plane Switching (IPS) LCD panels, which offer better off-axis viewing than the types of LCDs that most other manufacturers use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1672 Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi View Post

Color Temperature - Custom <--- I'm ok w/ gains but clueless on offsets so just using Resultz settings.

Gain & Offset are part of Gray Scale Calibration:
RGB Offset: The control used to adjust the amount of individual Red, Green, or Blue color in the darker end of the black to white scale. Think of it as an individual brightness control for each color. Manufacturers all use a different name for this control though 'Cut', 'Cutoff' 'Bias' 'sub brightness' and 'lowend' are the most common terms used.

RGB Gain: The control used to adjust the amount of individual Red, Green, or Blue color in the lighter end of the black to white scale. Think of it as an individual contrast control for each color. Manufacturers all use a different name for this control though 'Drive' 'sub contrast' and 'Highend' are the most common terms used.
post #543 of 1672 Old 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi View Post
Don't know if anybody else has noticed this and maybe it could be killed with more refined calibration? Just my $.02......

I was watching Pawn Stars last night & noticed the black shirts that everybody wears in the shop were a little noisy. (Could be my TW source is crappy too) So, I decided to see if I could help that a bit. In fact, when I turned noise reduction from "off" to "low" it did just the trick!! PQ was still about 99% of before, but the noise reduction was just what the doctor ordered.

I'm using Resultz settings from page 16 of this thread w/ minor tweaks:

Cable/Sat settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +70 <----Resultz at 77 but I have mine at 70 to mellow a tad.
Brightness - +50
Contrast - +50
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +3 <------ I'm at 4 cuz it's right where I can't discern which = good to me.

Color Temperature - Custom <--- I'm ok w/ gains but clueless on offsets so just using Resultz settings.
Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +128
Green Offset - +128
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - SMOOTH
Noise Reduction - LOW <---- I actually didn't notice he's got it on LOW here too.
Color Enhancement - Normal <---- I have mine off to keep colors a little less torchy, imho.Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON
Ambient Light Sensor - Off
They been tweaked and updated on page 16 to these and are even better now IMSO..
I put Cab/Sat Backlite a tad higher(77) 4 the NFL
But it looks good @70-75 to me.

Video game settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +75
Brightness - +54
Contrast - +50
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +2

Color Temperature - Custom
Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Noise Reduction - Off or Low
Color Enhancement -Off (Normal or Rich Color pops more)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

Movie Settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Movie
BackLight - +40
Brightness - +47
Contrast - +48
Color - +46
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +2

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Noise Reduction - Off or Low
Color Enhancement - Off
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

Cable/Sat settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +70-75(77 for sports)
Brightness - +50
Contrast - +48(50 if Back Light is 70)
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +3

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Noise Reduction - LOW
Color Enhancement - Normal or(Rich Color pops more)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON
post #544 of 1672 Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Roger that. Both the LG LX series and the Vizio XVT series use In Plane Switching (IPS) LCD panels, which offer better off-axis viewing than the types of LCDs that most other manufacturers use.

You guys are spot on. I got this TV on sale at BJ's today and the viewing angles are great. Blacks look black with no flashlighting. I'm very pleased so far.
post #545 of 1672 Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here are my modified settings.......

Cable settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +66
Brightness - +50
Contrast - +50
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +4

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +115 <------dropped here
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +120
Green Offset - +110 <------really dropped here
Blue Offset - +115 <-----dropped a bit here too.
(All above color mods, seemed close to 'real'. Sometimes I like pops of color too, but I figure I could always turn on Color Enhancement for a quick jolt of that if I want it. For now the above settings are most natural, imho)

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Low
Real Cinema Mode - Off
Noise Reduction - Low
Color Enhancement - Off (I'm currently playing with this one as it does look ok, sometimes but for now I'm just going with off)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

(And again, for reference, mine's a 474sv)
post #546 of 1672 Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Enough with the settings already. Snore inducing my brothers from other mothers.

Everyone's eyes, environment, room layout, lighting,are different, ad nauseum.

Any questions?

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #547 of 1672 Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 PM

It's important to realize that each and every panel is going to be a little different. There would be no need for the gain and offset adjustments if that weren't the case.

And now the boring tutorial that all the experts are free to totally ignore or shoot flames at.....

Tracking a monitor (that's what you are doing with the gain and offset adjustments) is intended to bring the monitor's gray scale into proper balance so that it is neutral gray from black all the way to white. This is usually impossible to achieve, but it IS possible to get it close. These adjustments are not part of COLOR adjustment, but are actually B&W adjustments. The offset adjustments, as has been pointed out previously, set the low light values to be as neutral as possible. Usually it is desirable to have one of the adjustments at it's nominal position (probably green, but not necessarily) and adjust the other two to achieve a neutral gray/black in the lowlights of a grayscale chart. (nb. it's very hard to track a monitor using a normal picture.) Then the gain adjustments are set to make the rest of the gray scale up to white as neutral as possible. With LCD screens, the white will sometimes take on a green or cyan cast that can not be tuned out. This can only be remedied by lowering the overall contrast so the white is less bright. It is usually necessary to iterate these adjustments since they do interact a bit.

The color of the ambient room light, the adjusting person's color perception, and lots of other very subjective things are in play when trying to track a monitor accurately by eye. It'll look great today and you come back tomorrow and it's got a magenta cast or whatever. The next day it will be a bit green. It can drive a person to drink if they obsess on it too much. Most professional monitors now have some sort of automatic interface to allow them to be tracked and matched very accurately using electronic sensors. It's tricky to get it right and it's important. The gray scale tracking SHOULD be the first thing you adjust when setting up a monitor, since everything else will be effected by it.

OK, let the flames begin.
post #548 of 1672 Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post

Enough with the settings already. Snore inducing my brothers from other mothers.

Everyone's eyes, environment, room layout, lighting,are different, ad nauseum.

Any questions?

troll much?
post #549 of 1672 Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundz View Post

It's important to realize that each and every panel is going to be a little different. There would be no need for the gain and offset adjustments if that weren't the case.

And now the boring tutorial that all the experts are free to totally ignore or shoot flames at.....

Well said. Every TV, environment & set of eyeballs is different. Calibrate to your own tastes. However it helps to know the concepts/theory.
post #550 of 1672 Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 AM

Thank u Naustin for your lucid thoughts.

Now can we get to real issues or flat out love for this product.

I am in love.

Not quite on a level with my family, but certainly "A Higher Love", as the great Stevie Winwood once said.

The sharpness, the contrast, the brightness...I'm all atwitter!

post #551 of 1672 Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Ha ha........Steve Winwood.........yes, recently dug that cd out of the pile & threw it on my ipod!!!

And now you're really gonna hate me Pete.........What are YOUR settings. I'd seriously like to know as I really want to play with settings before The Masters starts next week.

(You can PM me with it if you're opposed to seeing one more setting post here)
post #552 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 AM

Surely u jest with me son!

The whole point is that no one's settings serve any purpose for anyone elses use.

Do your own thang, make your own kind of music, move to your own kind of beat.

Peace Out my Vizioan brothers!

post #553 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Hi everyone-
I just came across this TV today on VIZIO's web site and started doing some research on it. Does anyone know if a professional review has ever been done? From what I can tell it has been out for over a year. I get Home Theater but don't remember reading a review. The last local dimming LED VIZIO review I read got a poor rating on black levels but I have no clue what the model was. CNET doesn't even appear to have a review.

Also, it looks like many other brands are transitioning models right now. Will this TV be phased out of a new model in the coming months? I just ask because, I was hoping to get a Panasonic 58VT25 for this same price point on closeout. That didn't work so well. The only places that have it in stock are the ones that were selling it for twice the going price. Has anyone ever seen this next to or have had experience with it and a Sony XBR-52HX909? I know the Sony was normaly twice as much and smaller but its prices are falling pretty fast. I actually seen it for only $99 more on line today.

Also as of 4/2/2011 what is the latest on the Power Off issue?

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!
post #554 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Haven't seen a pro review either. However the 553 model is extremely similar without 3D capability and is rated in the top 3 tv's available I believe on Cnet. All pro reviews on the 553 are stellar.
Spontaneous shutdowns are a potential problem. I solved this problem by not establishing an Internet connection to feed the VIA apps which I wasn't using anyway.
Later

post #555 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrbocke View Post
Hi everyone-
I just came across this TV today on VIZIO's web site and started doing some research on it. Does anyone know if a professional review has ever been done? From what I can tell it has been out for over a year. I get Home Theater but don't remember reading a review. The last local dimming LED VIZIO review I read got a poor rating on black levels but I have no clue what the model was. CNET doesn't even appear to have a review.

Also, it looks like many other brands are transitioning models right now. Will this TV be phased out of a new model in the coming months? I just ask because, I was hoping to get a Panasonic 58VT25 for this same price point on closeout. That didn't work so well. The only places that have it in stock are the ones that were selling it for twice the going price. Has anyone ever seen this next to or have had experience with it and a Sony XBR-52HX909? I know the Sony was normaly twice as much and smaller but its prices are falling pretty fast. I actually seen it for only $99 more on line today.

Also as of 4/2/2011 what is the latest on the Power Off issue?

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!
I think the 554 has only been out since November, 2010. I don't know about professional reviews, but there are alot of user reviews on this site as well as Amazon, Sam's Club, etc. I will tell you that I love our TV. I've looked at alot of more expensive TV's, and none of them have as nice a picture, in my opinion.
post #556 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Also, it looks like many other brands are transitioning models right now. Will this TV be phased out of a new model in the coming months?... Also as of 4/2/2011 what is the latest on the Power Off issue?

As noted earlier the XVT 554 series only came out in Nov 2010. The similar 2D XVT 553 (240 Hz & matte screen) came out in May 2010 to good reviews by CNET, PCMAG, TelevisionInfo and HomeTheater. Vizio announced the new XVT 555 series at CES in January 2011, which will have both active & passive 3D capabilities. No word when the 555s will actually arrive. The 554s were announced at CES in Jan 2010 and arrived in Nov.

The Power Off problems don't appear to be too widespread. I've had no problems in the 4 months I've owned the set & I use wireless N to my DSL. I also have a great surge protector.
post #557 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the responses...
I see I could have got this TV at Sams after Xmas for $1200. Also I am finding more internet shops offering the xbr-52hx909 for same price as the VIZIO. Assuming I can find a B&M willing to sell the Sony for the internet price my simple mind would tell me to go XBR all the way. I don't think I will have an oppurtunity to see these 2 TVs side by side or find a publication that reviewed both.

Any thoughts? Is the XBR not a better TV for the same $$$? I sure hope so since it retailed for $4000!!!
post #558 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Thanks for the responses...
I see I could have got this TV at Sams after Xmas for $1200. Also I am finding more internet shops offering the xbr-52hx909 for same price as the VIZIO. Assuming I can find a B&M willing to sell the Sony for the internet price my simple mind would tell me to go XBR all the way. I don't think I will have an oppurtunity to see these 2 TVs side by side or find a publication that reviewed both.

Any thoughts? Is the XBR not a better TV for the same $$$? I sure hope so since it retailed for $4000!!!

First off, the Sony (...and Panny...and Samsung 55's) has been being offered for what amounts to drastically reduced pricing because in the same stores where they are shown against the 554, the 554 eats their Lunches...really bad when viewing 2d content.

It's so bad, at many places the Vizio is left off unless requested if they have stacks of inventory of the other sets.

I'll tell ya sumpthin'....it's almost hilarious to see people walk down a row of these aforementioned TVs and immediately gravitate and then coagulate in front of the Vizio. Then it's gets funnier when those same folks compare the other set's prices. You see a lot of this sort of thing... ....and then this...

As for anyplace on the Planet ever selling the 554 for $1200.00, I gotta say I seriously question that. I have to think since you mentioned no model number you were pointing out the 553 model. The lowest Pre-Christmas Special on the 554 was at "The Buyer's Club Store That Cannot be Named" and that was still up at $1699.00. After Christmas it was $1999.00 again, and briefly rose to $2199.00 in late January when supplies got low and word of mouth took effect. It's currently back down to $1999.00 again.

But should you indeed be able to confirm that the 554 was available at Sc for $1200.00 at that time...you'll have succeeded in making me very sad since my 30 day Price Guarantee would have kicked in

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #559 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Maybe not... I bought on specs & 553 reviews. Check the reviews on Sony vs the XVT 553 which is a lesser version of the 554. Is the Sony edge lit or full LED? Also only LG & Vizio use In Plane Switching (IPS) which provide the widest viewing angles. That may or may not be important to you.

Also you are comparing a 52 inch versus a 55 inch.
post #560 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
they have a 65" out now, i would like to know how the pq is to the new 70" sharp that is out now.
post #561 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwig60 View Post

they have a 65" out now, i would like to know how the pq is to the new 70" sharp that is out now.

The Vizio 65 inch passive 3D has been reviewed by pcmag & cnet. Give them both a read.
post #562 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

The Vizio 65 inch passive 3D has been reviewed by pcmag & cnet. Give them both a read.

thanks for the help.
post #563 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Yes and uses the $29.99 a pair Vizio Theatre 3D glasses. The 42", 47" and
55" are active displays and require the $129.99 a pair Full HD 3D glasses.

I interesting that the 65" uses glasses that cost less.
post #564 of 1672 Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 PM

So has ANYBODY got their usb ports working? (Why in the world bother with 3 if anyway?)

In the 3sv threads it appears they can plug in a flash drive, turn their TV's on & it'll ask if they want to view media files??

I thought the 4sv's would do it too, but searching this thread it's looking like a no?

(I can cheat w/ my dvd player, but it's slow between pics)
post #565 of 1672 Old 04-03-2011, 04:11 AM

Here is the link where I saw this TV for $1197 yesterday.

http://www.alldealscoupons.com/deals...Hz-3D-LED-HDTV

Not that it matters now but maybe someone can use it for a price match or something...

Someone else also asked if the the Sony XBR-52HX909 is local dimming. It is and if you believe the reviews it has the best black levels available in a LCD right now. Maybe the VIZIO has more zones of local dimming or does it differently but both are local dimming LED. I would have probably bought the Sony already if the price wasn't so high to start out with or it was bigger. I am replacing a 58'' XBR CRT and really wanted to stay that size or larger.
post #566 of 1672 Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 AM

That appears to be a promotion that happened right after Christmas. Sams now has the 554 priced similar to all the other clubs. No chance for a price match on an old promo. Too bad - that is an excellent deal.
post #567 of 1672 Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluThunder View Post

• New board had updated Firmware - VIZIO_XP1.28.0.2
• Also tested USB ports on new firmware but still no access....

New TV was set up. Serial Number – LASPGPBL51##### Firmware - VIZIO_XP1.28.0.2. .

But the bottom line is that newer serial numbered XVT3D55’s have XP1.28 firmware and its good to keep track of when widgets are installed. For random power off, disconnect network after trying “cold start” if that fails to eliminate issue

Thanks to BlueThunder for the late Feb post on his random reboot issues & the Factory's current firmware. Apparently they haven't added anything significant (like ARC or USB media) so they aren't pushing it to the installed base at this time.
post #568 of 1672 Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the update Naustin.

Looks like Blu Thunder's got the latest hardware & firmware out there so that looks like it would be the most recent update.

No RVR's yet, so gonna start playin w/ the internet apps & see if I can start some trouble.....
post #569 of 1672 Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

First off, the Sony (...and Panny...and Samsung 55's) has been being offered for what amounts to drastically reduced pricing because in the same stores where they are shown against the 554, the 554 eats their Lunches...really bad when viewing 2d content.

It's so bad, at many places the Vizio is left off unless requested if they have stacks of inventory of the other sets.

I'll tell ya sumpthin'....it's almost hilarious to see people walk down a row of these aforementioned TVs and immediately gravitate and then coagulate in front of the Vizio. Then it's gets funnier when those same folks compare the other set's prices. You see a lot of this sort of thing... ....and then this...

As for anyplace on the Planet ever selling the 554 for $1200.00, I gotta say I seriously question that. I have to think since you mentioned no model number you were pointing out the 553 model. The lowest Pre-Christmas Special on the 554 was at "The Buyer's Club Store That Cannot be Named" and that was still up at $1699.00. After Christmas it was $1999.00 again, and briefly rose to $2199.00 in late January when supplies got low and word of mouth took effect. It's currently back down to $1999.00 again.

But should you indeed be able to confirm that the 554 was available at Sc for $1200.00 at that time...you'll have succeeded in making me very sad since my 30 day Price Guarantee would have kicked in

This wasn't true at BJ's yesterday. This TV looked terrible next to the Samsung and the Sharp 55 inch sets it was next to. I'll have to check this TV at another retailer . From what I saw yesterday I'd never buy this TV.
I was disappointed after all the praise this set has received.I think Sears sells this set so I'll have to check there this week.
post #570 of 1672 Old 04-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

As for anyplace on the Planet ever selling the 554 for $1200.00, I gotta say I seriously question that. I have to think since you mentioned no model number you were pointing out the 553 model.

You're correct. That price was a temporary price on the 553, NOT the 554. I was in the process of switching from a 473 to a larger 55 inch model at the time, and was tempted by that 553 blowout price (the 553 was being discontinued).

However, despite that sale price, I went for the 554. I decided that considering how many years we'd have the TV, it was worth getting the newer model, with better screen, faster refresh rate, improved electronics, not to mention 3D. Yes, it was considerably more dough, but I'm very glad I got the 554.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page