Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2 3  4  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio xvt3d554sv
Death2494's Avatar Death2494 05:43 AM 11-23-2010
Nope, you would think Cnet would be one the first ones to review this set seeing as how much praise they gave the 553SV. All I'm looking for is the motion resolution for me to pull the trigger on this set. Since Cnet.com are the only ones who actually evaluate the motion resolution, I'll have to wait on their review. Everything else is exactly the same as the 553SV, except for the 3d functionality of course. Since I already own a ps3, i'll be able to enjoy the 3d feature. The motion resolution might not be as important to other as it is to me. But if the set can deliver the full 1,080 lines of motion resolution, then I'm convinced. This means no matter how fast the action is on screen, I won't be sacrificing any picture quality or experience any blur.

djbluemax1's Avatar djbluemax1 12:49 PM 11-23-2010
One of the guys on Amazon has updated his review and can't seem to activate the 3D on his set. Says the 2D picture is amazing though, but of course, it's a laymen's review.

I'm also very interested to know if it has full motion resolution. If it can do that, has decent motion interpolation (yeah, I like the smoother motion of the soap opera effect) and can do 3D, I'm sold.


Max
walford's Avatar walford 05:24 PM 11-23-2010
I saw a post somewhere that Vizio had told the poster that there was no frame interpolation motion compensation in 3D mode. Vizio did not indicate if they used 5:5 pulldown instead of 3:2 pulldown mode for 24fps content to eliminate 3:2 frame rate Judder.
EAS's Avatar EAS 10:35 PM 11-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post
One of the guys on Amazon has updated his review and can't seem to activate the 3D on his set. Says the 2D picture is amazing though, but of course, it's a laymen's review.
You might want to read that review again. There are two posts. One guy hasn't tried 3D and the other has 3D working, but has issues with some 3D sources like USB and some known issues with DirecTV.
Death2494's Avatar Death2494 10:38 AM 11-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post
I saw a post somewhere that Vizio had told the poster that there was no frame interpolation motion compensation in 3D mode. Vizio did not indicate if they used 5:5 pulldown instead of 3:2 pulldown mode for 24fps content to eliminate 3:2 frame rate Judder.
The frame interpolation motion is called alot of things depending on the vendor. Sony calls it Motionflow, Lg calls it Trumotion, and etc. That is essentially what the additional Hz is for. When a set is on 120hz, it adds 1 additional frame to smooth it out. When you move on to 240hz, it adds 2 additional frames. Finally when you're at 480hz, it adds 3 additional frames to the sequence. I too am a fan of the (soap opera effect) simply because I'm typically watching animated movies with my 2yr old son and cable television. Also every now and then I plug my pc up to my computer and use it as a giant monitor. With the additional HZ I'll actually be able to see that 120fps i'm getting in my pc games. I was disappointed to know the the "XVT553SV(240hz)" maxed out at 900 lines of motion resolution. Granted Vizio were using at 120hz chip w/ the scanning backlight method to achieve 240hz. With the "XVT554SV(480hz), they are using a 240hz chip with scanning backlight. This should bring them at the 1080 lines of motion resolution. Sony's HX909 is the only set i've seen reviewed that actually displays 1200 lines of motion resolution. Hopefully Cnet will be receiving a review set pretty soon because I'm really looking at this. If not I'll just pull the trigger on the 55LE8500 because it natively supports MKV files and Vizio still doesn't have it's DLNA up and running.
Cayenne's Avatar Cayenne 10:59 AM 11-24-2010
Just picked one up from my local Sams Club. Should be able to set it up tomorrow.
labk888's Avatar labk888 11:39 AM 11-24-2010
Has anyone spotted these at Costco, yet? I am in the market for a new tv and I am torn between the xvt3d554sv and the xvt553sv. Does anyone know how these perform for gaming when it come to frame/input lag?
walford's Avatar walford 11:46 AM 11-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2494 View Post
The frame interpolation motion is called alot of things depending on the vendor. Sony calls it Motionflow, Lg calls it Trumotion, and etc. That is essentially what the additional Hz is for. When a set is on 120hz, it adds 1 additional frame to smooth it out. When you move on to 240hz, it adds 2 additional frames. Finally when you're at 480hz, it adds 3 additional frames to the sequence. I too am a fan of the (soap opera effect) simply because I'm typically watching animated movies with my 2yr old son and cable television. Also every now and then I plug my pc up to my computer and use it as a giant monitor. With the additional HZ I'll actually be able to see that 120fps i'm getting in my pc games. I was disappointed to know the the "XVT553SV(240hz)" maxed out at 900 lines of motion resolution. Granted Vizio were using at 120hz chip w/ the scanning backlight method to achieve 240hz. With the "XVT554SV(480hz), they are using a 240hz chip with scanning backlight. This should bring them at the 1080 lines of motion resolution. Sony's HX909 is the only set i've seen reviewed that actually displays 1200 lines of motion resolution. Hopefully Cnet will be receiving a review set pretty soon because I'm really looking at this. If not I'll just pull the trigger on the 55LE8500 because it natively supports MKV files and Vizio still doesn't have it's DLNA up and running.
What you stated is true for 2D mode but not for 3D mode.
When in 3D mode you need 240 Hz to get 1080p/60 per eye and even then the 1080p/60 per eye is created using 3:2 pulldown when processing 24fps second to create 1080p/60 content per eye and still be able to use Black Frame Insertion or scanning backlight to reduce video crosstalk on a 240Hz LCD display. So with a480Hz LCD you can use 5:5 pulldown to create 1080p/60 without any 3:2 pulldown Juddder and then use Scanning Backlight to reduce motion blur and video crosstalk.
Polarican's Avatar Polarican 11:03 PM 11-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by labk888 View Post

Has anyone spotted these at Costco, yet? I am in the market for a new tv and I am torn between the xvt3d554sv and the xvt553sv. Does anyone know how these perform for gaming when it come to frame/input lag?

Went earlier today to see if Costco stocked back up on the 553's and to my surprise they had the 554's there as well! The 2D display looked great! Would love to know how it does with 3D?
rockaway1836's Avatar rockaway1836 07:05 AM 11-25-2010
Using Costco's store locater; It's showing as a new item in the store near me.
Cayenne's Avatar Cayenne 09:49 AM 11-25-2010
Plugged it in the new set I bought yesterday and it lasted about 15 minutes and powered off. Just a steady yellow vizio light. Called customer support and they confirm a bad power supply.

Will try and get a replacement set tomorrow.
labk888's Avatar labk888 10:40 PM 11-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

Using Costco's store locater; It's showing as a new item in the store near me.

Do you have a link? I don't see the xvt3d554sv even listed on the Costco website.
rockaway1836's Avatar rockaway1836 06:37 AM 11-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by labk888 View Post

Do you have a link? I don't see the xvt3d554sv even listed on the Costco website.

Go to the store locater, type in your Zip code, click on a store near you and then scroll down a bit and click on New Items in Warehouse. It's very common for items to show up instore and not on their main site.
walford's Avatar walford 12:56 PM 11-26-2010
Costco normally does not offer items on their website until all of the stores where they plan to offer it have been stocked first.
EAS's Avatar EAS 04:53 PM 11-27-2010
Checked this out at the Perimeter Costco in Atlanta. I'm disappointed that the panel is glossy. I was hoping for the 553 with better specs, but the panel is quite a bit more glossy. I'm a fan of matte screens so this one is out for me.

Otherwise the 2D content looked ok.
jakkim's Avatar jakkim 06:09 PM 11-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post

Plugged it in the new set I bought yesterday and it lasted about 15 minutes and powered off. Just a steady yellow vizio light. Called customer support and they confirm a bad power supply.

Will try and get a replacement set tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I for one think it's absolutely ridiculous to drop a few grand on a brand new set, let alone a companies flagship display, and have it crap out after 15 minutes. Hopefully you can get it replaced but I know I would be paranoid as all get out even after getting a new one.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thompsonbrook's Avatar Thompsonbrook 04:07 AM 11-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

Checked this out at the Perimeter Costco in Atlanta. I'm disappointed that the panel is glossy. I was hoping for the 553 with better specs, but the panel is quite a bit more glossy. I'm a fan of matte screens so this one is out for me.

Otherwise the 2D content looked ok.


EAS,

Thanks for the info about the screen. I've been holding out for the 554. But like you, I need a matte screen. If this model has a glossy screen I'm out. Anyone else purchased or seen this model and can confirm the glossy screen?

Why would Vizio do this. In multiple user reviews you read that one of the main attractions of Vizio's set is that they are one of the few manufacturers using matte screens? It's crazy!
jakkim's Avatar jakkim 12:11 PM 11-28-2010
It seems like every manufacturer is moving to that glossy screen. The opinion is that it increases contrast but who cares of contrast if you are looking in a mirror. I'm sure for about 99% of shoppers they see a new TV set in torch mode with a glossy screen and think since everything is shinny it must be better...
Thompsonbrook's Avatar Thompsonbrook 02:02 PM 11-28-2010
This is a nightmare. I've been waiting months for this set. Is there now any 55" full array LED with internet, 3D and a matte screen? I have a VERY bright room and do not want to have to shut off lights or close curtains. It's a living room, not a cinema. I may have to settle for the 553 but was really looking forward to what 3D had to offer in the next few years.

What a pain!
EAS's Avatar EAS 03:45 PM 11-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

This is a nightmare. I've been waiting months for this set. Is there now any 55" full array LED with internet, 3D and a matte screen? I have a VERY bright room and do not want to have to shut off lights or close curtains. It's a living room, not a cinema. I may have to settle for the 553 but was really looking forward to what 3D had to offer in the next few years.

What a pain!

I'd suggest that you go and actually look at the set. If you can buy from Costco you can return is the reflection is too much.
Cayenne's Avatar Cayenne 08:34 AM 11-29-2010
The screen is indeed very glossy.

I can also confirm that the blooming effect is still there (only really visible on credits scrolling etc).

I did not find motion artifacts any better than the 3SV.

I am going to return this unit as it's way too glossy and get the 3SV instead.
in-mn's Avatar in-mn 09:21 AM 11-29-2010
Cayanne - thanks for the review on the glossy screen. Debated getting this over the 3sv 47 since it seem slike i can pick it up in club vs pay to have shipped (which narrows the price difference between the two models considerably)


I too agree with the statement that vizios major attraction is them being the one to embrace matte screens. Shame they dont offer two versions of this.
walford's Avatar walford 10:59 AM 11-29-2010
Cayenne, Are you getting motion artifacts and blooming or are you getting motion blur?
What are your settings for Smooth Motion and Real Cinema Mode?
Cayenne's Avatar Cayenne 01:18 PM 11-29-2010
Walford,

I only see the blooming on credits - white letters on a black background.

You are correct- it is motion blur and not motion artifacts. It is to the same extent as on the 3SV.

I do not remember the settings but can let you know tomorrow when I get back home.
mflagg's Avatar mflagg 10:29 PM 11-29-2010
Howdy,
They are available at Costco.
Picked one up today. XVT3D554SV, although I ordered the 3D glasses from Sam's Club.

Costco, Winchester, Va
poster's Avatar poster 07:37 AM 11-30-2010
Any initial impressions on the set? I know some do not like the glossy screen, but I am thinking of getting a 47" for a smaller sized basement area man cave. I am going to head to Sam's this week to take a look as they are in stock in my area.

Congrats on the purchase, hope you enjoy it.
Quatre's Avatar Quatre 11:16 PM 11-30-2010
all i want to know is why Vizio canceled the 72" slim 3d full led lcd.

i heard LG makes their panels and is putting out their 72" in q2 2011 but what about the Vizio?

i guess LG will stop them from putting it out at 1/3 the price of theirs so they dont lose sales just like LG somehow won the rights to full array led and stopped Samsung and Sony from being allowed to make it which is quite a fete.

i heard the LG 55" is like 6k and thast as much as the samsung 65" which is alos already overpriced (though you can get it for less but its hard to get period and you ahve to wait from when you order like a month or 2 it seems)

so the LG 72" is probalby going to be expensive.

hopefully Vizio can save the day.
EAS's Avatar EAS 07:25 AM 12-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

all i want to know is why Vizio canceled the 72" slim 3d full led lcd.

i heard LG makes their panels and is putting out their 72" in q2 2011 but what about the Vizio?

i guess LG will stop them from putting it out at 1/3 the price of theirs so they dont lose sales just like LG somehow won the rights to full array led and stopped Samsung and Sony from being allowed to make it which is quite a fete.

i heard the LG 55" is like 6k and thast as much as the samsung 65" which is alos already overpriced (though you can get it for less but its hard to get period and you ahve to wait from when you order like a month or 2 it seems)

so the LG 72" is probalby going to be expensive.

hopefully Vizio can save the day.

It would seem to me that you posted this in the wrong thread. There is a thread on this 72" set. Please post in that thread if you are not going to discuss the set on topic.
bnewt's Avatar bnewt 02:24 PM 12-01-2010
Does this set have the local dimming feature as well?
janice805's Avatar janice805 04:41 PM 12-01-2010
Wow, yesterday I noticed the 47" one at Costco. I had just purchased a 54" Panasonic Plasma (54G20) but would love to pick up the 55" Vizio, 480 hz, etc. The picture was FABULOUS. All I can comment on is what I saw which was the picture. It caught my eye walking past all the usual TV's, then I noticed it was 480 hz and 3D and took a closer look. If my Costco had the 55" version, I would have purchased it. I would have run it along side my above recent purchase then decided which one was best for me. Dang, 47" only. Drats. Did I mention it had a beautiful picture?
Tags: Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
1  2 3  4  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop