AVS Forum banner
308K views 2K replies 237 participants last post by  F34R 
#1 ·
Any comments on the just released VIZIO XVT3D554SV ? Any reviews out there yet?

In stock from Vizio.com, but backordered from amazon.com.

I want to order one, but want to hear some reviews & comments first.

Thx

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OconRecon /forum/post/19506940

I don't come here much, but is the 3D worth it? I thought the 3D scuttle is consumers aren't lapping it up and it won't have much presence at CES. Also, is there a few hundred dollars difference in 240Hz vs 480Hz?

Less than two large at Sam's isn't bad though.

3D is pretty cool, but I have several problems with it.

I wear glasses. Putting those 3D glasses over my regular glasses is very uncomfortable.

We have five people in our family. At $150 a pop for additional glasses.......plus extras for firends.....too much.

The technology is first generation. If it does catch on, it's going to improve. Would I really want to buy into it now?

I thought about it and passed. Picked up a Vizio 553 and am very happy.

#31 ·
Nope, you would think Cnet would be one the first ones to review this set seeing as how much praise they gave the 553SV. All I'm looking for is the motion resolution for me to pull the trigger on this set. Since Cnet.com are the only ones who actually evaluate the motion resolution, I'll have to wait on their review. Everything else is exactly the same as the 553SV, except for the 3d functionality of course. Since I already own a ps3, i'll be able to enjoy the 3d feature. The motion resolution might not be as important to other as it is to me. But if the set can deliver the full 1,080 lines of motion resolution, then I'm convinced. This means no matter how fast the action is on screen, I won't be sacrificing any picture quality or experience any blur.

#32 ·
One of the guys on Amazon has updated his review and can't seem to activate the 3D on his set. Says the 2D picture is amazing though, but of course, it's a laymen's review.

I'm also very interested to know if it has full motion resolution. If it can do that, has decent motion interpolation (yeah, I like the smoother motion of the soap opera effect) and can do 3D, I'm sold.

Max

#34 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1
One of the guys on Amazon has updated his review and can't seem to activate the 3D on his set. Says the 2D picture is amazing though, but of course, it's a laymen's review.
You might want to read that review again. There are two posts. One guy hasn't tried 3D and the other has 3D working, but has issues with some 3D sources like USB and some known issues with DirecTV.

#35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
I saw a post somewhere that Vizio had told the poster that there was no frame interpolation motion compensation in 3D mode. Vizio did not indicate if they used 5:5 pulldown instead of 3:2 pulldown mode for 24fps content to eliminate 3:2 frame rate Judder.
The frame interpolation motion is called alot of things depending on the vendor. Sony calls it Motionflow, Lg calls it Trumotion, and etc. That is essentially what the additional Hz is for. When a set is on 120hz, it adds 1 additional frame to smooth it out. When you move on to 240hz, it adds 2 additional frames. Finally when you're at 480hz, it adds 3 additional frames to the sequence. I too am a fan of the (soap opera effect) simply because I'm typically watching animated movies with my 2yr old son and cable television. Also every now and then I plug my pc up to my computer and use it as a giant monitor. With the additional HZ I'll actually be able to see that 120fps i'm getting in my pc games. I was disappointed to know the the "XVT553SV(240hz)" maxed out at 900 lines of motion resolution. Granted Vizio were using at 120hz chip w/ the scanning backlight method to achieve 240hz. With the "XVT554SV(480hz), they are using a 240hz chip with scanning backlight. This should bring them at the 1080 lines of motion resolution. Sony's HX909 is the only set i've seen reviewed that actually displays 1200 lines of motion resolution. Hopefully Cnet will be receiving a review set pretty soon because I'm really looking at this. If not I'll just pull the trigger on the 55LE8500 because it natively supports MKV files and Vizio still doesn't have it's DLNA up and running.

#38 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2494
The frame interpolation motion is called alot of things depending on the vendor. Sony calls it Motionflow, Lg calls it Trumotion, and etc. That is essentially what the additional Hz is for. When a set is on 120hz, it adds 1 additional frame to smooth it out. When you move on to 240hz, it adds 2 additional frames. Finally when you're at 480hz, it adds 3 additional frames to the sequence. I too am a fan of the (soap opera effect) simply because I'm typically watching animated movies with my 2yr old son and cable television. Also every now and then I plug my pc up to my computer and use it as a giant monitor. With the additional HZ I'll actually be able to see that 120fps i'm getting in my pc games. I was disappointed to know the the "XVT553SV(240hz)" maxed out at 900 lines of motion resolution. Granted Vizio were using at 120hz chip w/ the scanning backlight method to achieve 240hz. With the "XVT554SV(480hz), they are using a 240hz chip with scanning backlight. This should bring them at the 1080 lines of motion resolution. Sony's HX909 is the only set i've seen reviewed that actually displays 1200 lines of motion resolution. Hopefully Cnet will be receiving a review set pretty soon because I'm really looking at this. If not I'll just pull the trigger on the 55LE8500 because it natively supports MKV files and Vizio still doesn't have it's DLNA up and running.
What you stated is true for 2D mode but not for 3D mode.

When in 3D mode you need 240 Hz to get 1080p/60 per eye and even then the 1080p/60 per eye is created using 3:2 pulldown when processing 24fps second to create 1080p/60 content per eye and still be able to use Black Frame Insertion or scanning backlight to reduce video crosstalk on a 240Hz LCD display. So with a480Hz LCD you can use 5:5 pulldown to create 1080p/60 without any 3:2 pulldown Juddder and then use Scanning Backlight to reduce motion blur and video crosstalk.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by labk888 /forum/post/19540404

Has anyone spotted these at Costco, yet? I am in the market for a new tv and I am torn between the xvt3d554sv and the xvt553sv. Does anyone know how these perform for gaming when it come to frame/input lag?

Went earlier today to see if Costco stocked back up on the 553's and to my surprise they had the 554's there as well! The 2D display looked great! Would love to know how it does with 3D?

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by labk888 /forum/post/19547134

Do you have a link? I don't see the xvt3d554sv even listed on the Costco website.

Go to the store locater, type in your Zip code, click on a store near you and then scroll down a bit and click on New Items in Warehouse. It's very common for items to show up instore and not on their main site.

#45 ·
Checked this out at the Perimeter Costco in Atlanta. I'm disappointed that the panel is glossy. I was hoping for the 553 with better specs, but the panel is quite a bit more glossy. I'm a fan of matte screens so this one is out for me.

Otherwise the 2D content looked ok.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne /forum/post/19544771

Plugged it in the new set I bought yesterday and it lasted about 15 minutes and powered off. Just a steady yellow vizio light. Called customer support and they confirm a bad power supply.

Will try and get a replacement set tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I for one think it's absolutely ridiculous to drop a few grand on a brand new set, let alone a companies flagship display, and have it crap out after 15 minutes. Hopefully you can get it replaced but I know I would be paranoid as all get out even after getting a new one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS /forum/post/19554764

Checked this out at the Perimeter Costco in Atlanta. I'm disappointed that the panel is glossy. I was hoping for the 553 with better specs, but the panel is quite a bit more glossy. I'm a fan of matte screens so this one is out for me.

Otherwise the 2D content looked ok.

EAS,

Thanks for the info about the screen. I've been holding out for the 554. But like you, I need a matte screen. If this model has a glossy screen I'm out. Anyone else purchased or seen this model and can confirm the glossy screen?

Why would Vizio do this. In multiple user reviews you read that one of the main attractions of Vizio's set is that they are one of the few manufacturers using matte screens? It's crazy!

#48 ·
It seems like every manufacturer is moving to that glossy screen. The opinion is that it increases contrast but who cares of contrast if you are looking in a mirror. I'm sure for about 99% of shoppers they see a new TV set in torch mode with a glossy screen and think since everything is shinny it must be better...

#49 ·
This is a nightmare. I've been waiting months for this set. Is there now any 55" full array LED with internet, 3D and a matte screen? I have a VERY bright room and do not want to have to shut off lights or close curtains. It's a living room, not a cinema. I may have to settle for the 553 but was really looking forward to what 3D had to offer in the next few years.

What a pain!

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook /forum/post/19558642

This is a nightmare. I've been waiting months for this set. Is there now any 55" full array LED with internet, 3D and a matte screen? I have a VERY bright room and do not want to have to shut off lights or close curtains. It's a living room, not a cinema. I may have to settle for the 553 but was really looking forward to what 3D had to offer in the next few years.

What a pain!

I'd suggest that you go and actually look at the set. If you can buy from Costco you can return is the reflection is too much.

#51 ·
The screen is indeed very glossy.

I can also confirm that the blooming effect is still there (only really visible on credits scrolling etc).

I did not find motion artifacts any better than the 3SV.

I am going to return this unit as it's way too glossy and get the 3SV instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.