Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1672 Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post
Game mode doesn't flash/blink with the xbox 360, but I did have issues with blinking and the PS3 and it enabled... so its on 4 the 360 and off 4 the ps3..

Oh I also use it with my gaming laptop
With my AVR, leaving Gaming mode on by default caused occasional TV viewing problems. Turning it on when you need/want it is the wisest approach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1672 Old 06-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

With my AVR, leaving Gaming mode on by default caused occasional TV viewing problems. Turning it on when you need/want it is the wisest approach

so... your avr is the middle man correct?
post #723 of 1672 Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
so... your avr is the middle man correct?
Yes, i route my Dish DVR, PS3 & old DVDR/VCR thru a single HDMI to the 554. The AVR is a current Onkyo that supports 3D pass thru.
post #724 of 1672 Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, I just got an e-mail from Vizio. They are offering 2 pairs of 3D glasses for $49.99. I don't know if it's permanent or what but get'em while you can.

http://www.vizio.com/vsg102.html
post #725 of 1672 Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

Wow, I just got an e-mail from Vizio. They are offering 2 pairs of 3D glasses for $49.99. I don't know if it's permanent or what but get'em while you can.

Just ordered a pair. Unfortunately they kill you with a $20 ground shipping fee (at least they did for me). The "REGVIZIO10" discount code knocks off an additional $5.
post #726 of 1672 Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolkman View Post

Just ordered a pair. Unfortunately they kill you with a $20 ground shipping fee (at least they did for me). The "REGVIZIO10" discount code knocks off an additional $5.

I just ordered a pair and used the discount code above, thanks. The shipping is really a rip off, $20 ground to Michigan. But the glasses are a great buy.

The only thing I'm afraid of now is that the new sets use different glasses and in the future, not to far, these glasses may not be available. I hope they hold up.

I wonder if the battery is user replacable when it eventually dies?
post #727 of 1672 Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I wonder if the battery is user replacable when it eventually dies?

The Owners' booklet Spec page says" Non-user replaceable Li-polymer battery"
post #728 of 1672 Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The Owners' booklet Spec page says" Non-user replaceable Li-polymer battery"
Oh, guess I didn't see that. I wonder what we do when they die. Vizio only made these for 1 year so I don't think the support will be too long. I had a 3 1/2 year old 52" Vizio TV and one speaker went out, they couldn't get the part and ended up replacing the TV with the 553. Made me a believer in extended warranty.

Vizio doesn't offer extended warranty on the glasses. Sams does so I guess if they went bad at the least you would get your money back. But at this point they are twice the price.
post #729 of 1672 Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post
Oh, guess I didn't see that. I wonder what we do when they die. Vizio only made these for 1 year so I don't think the support will be too long. I had a 3 1/2 year old 52" Vizio TV and one speaker went out, they couldn't get the part and ended up replacing the TV with the 553. Made me a believer in extended warranty.

Vizio doesn't offer extended warranty on the glasses. Sams does so I guess if they went bad at the least you would get your money back. But at this point they are twice the price.
My 6 year old Harmony 880 is still on its original LiPoly battery and still going. By the time these die, hopefully 3D will have either fizzled out completely or matured to a point warranting a new purchase.
post #730 of 1672 Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 AM

Hi all, I just purchased my XVT3D554SV from a seller on Amazon.com for an incredible price. I never, ever thought I would buy a Vizio TV (been strictly Samsung for the last 3 years) but after reading the reviews of the 553 and reading this forum, I think I'm convinced. I have one little problem however, I am a BIG fan of the Soap Opera Effect (I know, I know). I play LOTS of videogames and find that the effect is absolutely incredible on my 240hz Samsung. Literally there is ZERO detail loss as I pan the camera around in a game when Auto Motion is on it's highest setting. With Auto Motion set to off, I get the typical 60hz blurring that I have now come to hate.

I guess what I want to know is, will the Vizio provide the same blur free, crisp detailed panning ability that my Samsung provides me? The Samsung is largely artifact free and I don't notice any terrible lag with the setting engaged. I am hoping the Vizio will be able to provide me with a similar motion interpolated experience (how is the stuttering/artifacting when set to high?). I understand that speaking to a forum full of experts about the Soap Opera Effect is BLASPHEMY but please try to understand that I just happen to enjoy this effect. You won't change my opinion, I won't change yours, I'm just looking for some good info from you guys if possible.
post #731 of 1672 Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglashowitzer View Post

.... I am a BIG fan of the Soap Opera Effect (I know, I know). I play LOTS of videogames and find that the effect is absolutely incredible on my 240hz Samsung. Literally there is ZERO detail loss as I pan the camera around in a game when Auto Motion is on it's highest setting. With Auto Motion set to off, I get the typical 60hz blurring that I have now come to hate.

I had never thought about using smooth motion for video games, sounds like an outstanding idea! Unfortunately I rarely play my Gran Turismo 5 so I can't really answer your query.
post #732 of 1672 Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm looking at purchasing the XVT3D474SV model (47"). Is there any reason why this model and the older non 3d XVT473SV are so similar in price on amazon? Is there a problem with the 3d version I am looking at that makes people prefer the 2d model? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.
post #733 of 1672 Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Well my guess would be that the 3sv got all the Cnet attention and then add to that, the 4sv just didn't get that much attention ANYWHERE plus seems to already be nearing it's end of life. I don't know if that's because of the 3D or the glossy screen or what but I am glad I got one because despite the fact that I still have yet to find a perfect tv, I would argue that the 4sv is arguably the closest thing to a perfect TV that I've found to date.
post #734 of 1672 Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post

I'm looking at purchasing the XVT3D474SV model (47"). Is there any reason why this model and the older non 3d XVT473SV are so similar in price on amazon? Is there a problem with the 3d version I am looking at that makes people prefer the 2d model? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Timing... The XVT 3SV (2D) and 4SV(3D) are both 2010 models announced at CES January 2010. Vizio got the 3SV out in production in May so it got reviewed. The similar featured 3D 4SV, wasn't released until late Nov 2010. I'm guessing LG kept the 3D screen tech to themselves for the first part of the year & Vizio was busy fighting bugs in the 3SV firmware. Nobody writes reviews in December. By Jan 2011 at CES Vizio was announcing new Vizio 2011 3D models with passive cheaper glasses. So far only the 65 incher is in production. Expensive active shutter glasses 3D didn't really take off in 2010 for any manufacturer, so the price premium for the 4SV with similar technology (to the 3SV) plus 3D couldn't be justified. I think the 4SV is worth the small price premium for the gloss screen & 480 hz & 3D myself. Buy either, it looks like Vizio is backing away from full LED back lighting to Edge lighting in an attempt to keep costs down.
post #735 of 1672 Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to put smoothing on HIGH to lock in 480? Right?

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #736 of 1672 Old 06-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You need to put smoothing on HIGH to lock in 480? Right?

Since it's an LG panel I believe it works as Hometheater describes for the LX9500... "TruMotion 480Hz is LG’s motion-smoothing, frame interpolation feature. The set operates at a higher than normal refresh rate, in this case, 240 hertz, by either repeating frames (TruMotion 480Hz off) or interpolating new frames (TruMotion 480Hz on) as needed to bring the frame rate up to 240 Hz. The set then scans the backlights to produce a 480-Hz effect."

With Vizio its called Smooth Motion. So any Smooth motion should be 480 Hz, the amount of motion is de-judder.
post #737 of 1672 Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

I just tried to order, but now they are $129. That was a quick sale! I wish I coulda got in on that deal...
post #738 of 1672 Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I figured out what was causing the no signal error(thx be 2 God) when exiting a PS3 game.. If you leave another HDMI source running on another channel ie don't turn off your cable/sat box.. It can cause the no signal when exiting a PS3 game and or changing resolution ie going from 1080p to 720p or 480p 4 example.

Anyway these are the picture settings that thus far im very happy with

Video game settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +70 (75 more pop)
Brightness - +52
Contrast - +50
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +1

Color Temperature - Custom
Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Real Cinema Mode - SMOOTH
Noise Reduction - Off or Low
Color Enhancement -Off (Normal or Rich Color pops more)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON
Ambient Light Sensor - Off

Movie Settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Movie
BackLight - +40
Brightness - +47
Contrast - +48
Color - +46
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +1

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Noise Reduction - Off or Low
Color Enhancement - Off
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

Cable/Sat settings:
Picture
Picture Mode - Custom
BackLight - +68-70(75 for sports)
Brightness - +50
Contrast - +48(50 if Back Light is 70)
Color - +45
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +2

Gain - Red - +125
Gain - Green - +120
Gain - Blue - +120
Red Offset - +123
Green Offset - +125
Blue Offset - +128

Advanced Picture
Smooth Motion - Off
Noise Reduction - LOW
Color Enhancement - Normal or(Rich Color pops more)
Adaptive LUMA - Off
Film Mode - AUTO
Smart Dimming - ON

Is there no way to go from one picture mode to another without going to the settings menu each time u want to change from Custom to Movie or another?
and is there no way to save all the advanced settings to each Picture Mode it's a pain in the neck to keep changing all the settings each time U change from Custom to Movie and back again when all the settings are different?

Thanx
JimR
post #739 of 1672 Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR013 View Post

Is there no way to go from one picture mode to another without going to the settings menu each time u want to change from Custom to Movie or another?
and is there no way to save all the advanced settings to each Picture Mode it's a pain in the neck to keep changing all the settings each time

No... I'd suggest picking a single set of advanced settings that suit your eyeballs. Personally I now leave the gain & offsets at factory defaults & set the ambient light sensor to medium or high (I think its more effective that back-lighting manually). How often do you really need to change picture modes anyway. I use my Movie mode for just about everything. For football or basketball season I don't mind changing to a different picture mode for the game.
post #740 of 1672 Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM

I followed up with Vizio support today regarding the ARC functionality and the updated firmware needed to support it. I was told that there is no firmware update available for the 3D models and that there was no way to tell me if it is being worked on.

I was originally told back at the end of February that it would be pushed out to users soon, but so far nothing.
post #741 of 1672 Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post

Not sure what you mean about people preferring the 2D model. The 4 series 3D models seem to have far fewer problems, and I prefer the clear screen. Reflections are a non-issue, and the image seems to have more contrast. As the other poster said, the 3 series got all the publicity, because it came first and got excellent reviews. To me, my 554 is even better than the earlier 553, and, based on the threads here on the forum, significantly more problem-free. I've had mine since February, with no problems at all. I'm very glad I got the 554 over the 553, even though I could have gotten the 553 much cheaper at the time. I haven't even used the 3D yet; for me, it's all about 2D picture quality, which is the thing that matters most 99% of the time.
post #742 of 1672 Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Timing... The XVT 3SV (2D) and 4SV(3D) are both 2010 models announced at CES January 2010. Vizio got the 3SV out in production in May so it got reviewed. The similar featured 3D 4SV, wasn't released until late Nov 2010. I'm guessing LG kept the 3D screen tech to themselves for the first part of the year & Vizio was busy fighting bugs in the 3SV firmware. Nobody writes reviews in December. By Jan 2011 at CES Vizio was announcing new Vizio 2011 3D models with passive cheaper glasses. So far only the 65 incher is in production. Expensive active shutter glasses 3D didn't really take off in 2010 for any manufacturer, so the price premium for the 4SV with similar technology (to the 3SV) plus 3D couldn't be justified. I think the 4SV is worth the small price premium for the gloss screen & 480 hz & 3D myself. Buy either, it looks like Vizio is backing away from full LED back lighting to Edge lighting in an attempt to keep costs down.

Good explanation (and I totally agree that the 4SV is worth the difference).
post #743 of 1672 Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can get the glasses VSG102 2 pack for 120 ish shipped on vizio's site with coupon code REGVIZIO10

its the cheapest online that I have found.. please advise if you know where It's cheaper..
post #744 of 1672 Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Hey, from the reviews that i have read with the 47, 55, inch versions of this television some have said the 3D is just not that good, and some have said it is ok

Wondering if some of you Owners who use 3d with this television regularly can give me your honest take onn how the 3D is ??

However for the cost of this television and for how much i like the 2D of this television, i guess what i am asking, is the 3d at minimum watchable and how comfortable are the glasses for this 3d television

And also was wondering if someone is knowing how this is with gaming lag on either xbox 360 orr ps3 console ??

Thanks
post #745 of 1672 Old 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER View Post

Hey, from the reviews that i have read with the 47, 55, inch versions of this television some have said the 3D is just not that good, and some have said it is ok

Wondering if some of you Owners who use 3d with this television regularly can give me your honest take onn how the 3D is ??... i guess what i am asking, is the 3d at minimum watchable and how comfortable are the glasses for this 3d television

I only watch 3D Blurays & the 3D is very very good. If you are using broadcast 3D (DirectTV etc) which is of lower quality things may not be as good. That's a source problem not a TV problem. See this cnet article. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...in;contentBody I've not noticed any lag with my PS3.
post #746 of 1672 Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER View Post

Wondering if some of you Owners who use 3d with this television regularly can give me your honest take onn how the 3D is ??

However for the cost of this television and for how much i like the 2D of this television, i guess what i am asking, is the 3d at minimum watchable and how comfortable are the glasses for this 3d television

And also was wondering if someone is knowing how this is with gaming lag on either xbox 360 orr ps3 console ??

Thanks

The glasses have a soft nosebridge, but still get a little heavy after a while.

I have the 554sv

there is crosstalk here and there. but is that abnormal for a TV? I don't know. this is the only 3D TV I've ever seen. we're happy we purchased the glasses. we had the TV without glasses for several months and loved it just for 2D.
post #747 of 1672 Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM

Hi all,

One thing I've noticed with my 474 is that the dimming is a bit jerky when transitioning from fully off to on. For example, when a closing credit is stationary in the middle of the screen (e.g. the initial closing credits in Inception) and fades in from black, there is an initial jerk from darkness to partially lit, and then smoothness from partial to fully lit. Likewise, when the credit is fading to black, it fades smoothly to a point and then jerks to black.

I figure this has to do with the zones not being able to smoothly adjust brightness all the way to 0. Not a huge deal since I don't watch that many credits.

Anyone else notice this?
post #748 of 1672 Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvolkman View Post

Hi all,

One thing I've noticed with my 474 is that the dimming is a bit jerky when transitioning from fully off to on. For example, when a closing credit is stationary in the middle of the screen (e.g. the initial closing credits in Inception) and fades in from black, there is an initial jerk from darkness to partially lit, and then smoothness from partial to fully lit. Likewise, when the credit is fading to black, it fades smoothly to a point and then jerks to black.

I figure this has to do with the zones not being able to smoothly adjust brightness all the way to 0. Not a huge deal since I don't watch that many credits.

Anyone else notice this?

That's one of the reasons why some video magazines recommend turning off auto-dimming on LED sets claiming its an artificial processed look. Personally I can live with it to get the deep blacks.
post #749 of 1672 Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What mag said to turn off local dimming? I read both popular home video mags and can't ever remember reading that suggestion?
Where is that from?

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #750 of 1672 Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM

I've never heard of anyone recommending turning off local dimming on a full array set. To me, that defeats the purpose of spending more on a set that has the feature. Anyway, mine is being delivered tomorrow, I will certainly update with my thoughts as this is my first LED locally dimming set. I've gone through many Samsung CCFL's, but I can't wait to see this TV after reading through this thread.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page