AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio xvt3d554sv

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Silverback13's Avatar Silverback13
12:22 PM Liked: 10
post #811 of 1673
07-06-2011 | Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

WOW, What a buy. I would have bought 2 for that price, really...
I have watched 3D on the Vizio and Samsung and don't see much difference. It all depends on the source of the Video. (If you can find anything). DirecTV has a few channels and I guess Comcast does too. Netflix, Nothing, not even for rental. Don't be fooled with the Imax 3d they have, it's not 3D on the disc.

If your not in a hurry for glasses, watch Vizio's website. I grabbed a pair a couple weeks ago from them for $40.00. (Plus 20 bucks shipping to Michigan), That's like 1/3 the price. I'm not sure if they will run the sale again but it can't hurt to check them out. If they do, order them quick, the last sale lasted 2 days.

If they had another I sure would have. for the price I figured it was a no lose. I will check the Vizio site for the Glasses. I hope I can catch one of those sales also.

Thx for the reply...
aperry's Avatar aperry
09:27 AM Liked: 10
post #812 of 1673
07-07-2011 | Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

Well, it's a matter of luck... I had two XVT553SV's. Both had issues I couldn't live with. After getting rid of them within my exchange/return period, I got an LG 55LX9500 with much better specs/features for just a few hundred more. I have not found one problem yet after 6 months of use. No random reboots. No HDMI handshake issues. No pixel problems. The USB ports work ( video too). I guess it's a matter of luck, but I do think that the Vizio's, althought they have an acceptable picture, are not up to the design standards they should be at yet.

I guess this is a subjective statement to make. You must have found a great deal on the LG because right now there seems to be a $1,000+ difference between these models and the "much better" specs on the LG as far as I can tell are 240 zones (versus 120) and it's thinner. Otherwise they seem pretty similar, but maybe I'm missing something. Each set has a different combination of less important peripheral features (wifi, bluetooth remote, functional USB, etc). So, IMO, the difference in specs is relatively minor and there's a $1,000 price difference. The question is what design standard *should* Vizio be held to with a set that's priced 40% under than the competition? I can easily live with one random reboot every 3-4 weeks and a $60 external media streaming device for $1,000 in my pocket!
naustin's Avatar naustin
10:11 AM Liked: 14
post #813 of 1673
07-07-2011 | Posts: 268
Also Knobe is talking about the 553 model which has inferior specs to the 554. I looked at the stylish LG 55LX9500 but was put off by the flash-lighting issues.
asoroudi's Avatar asoroudi
12:10 PM Liked: 10
post #814 of 1673
07-07-2011 | Posts: 15
Is there anyone else expiriencing this issue:

When set to "Game mode"
- For FIOS TV, once in a while (especially after watching TV for over an hour), the screen goes blank every few minutes, then comes back. Turning off the TV, then back on resolves the issue. Or turning off "Game mode" completely resolves the issue

-For XBOX 360, every other time you turn on XBOX, the screen is blinking rapidly when Game Mode is on. Other times, it is find. Turning off Xbox, then TV, or turning off "Game mode" fixes the issue.

Anyone know how to not turn on "Game mode", yet get the benefits of game mode? Specifically, the picture looks like watching a soap opera with game mode off. I am just looking to get that fluid picture without turning on game mode.

Any help would be appreciated.
naustin's Avatar naustin
09:35 AM Liked: 14
post #815 of 1673
07-08-2011 | Posts: 268
Have you contacted Vizio help? If they get enough complaints they might issue a firmware fix.
Burnerbum's Avatar Burnerbum
06:34 AM Liked: 15
post #816 of 1673
07-10-2011 | Posts: 1,116
I had to run home to my other house for the weekend and I have the 553 there. The Netflix app on that set has a later version on it. It shows a lot more movies on the preview screen and the layout it different.

I wonder why they don't update the 554. It's much easier finding movies on the newer version.

Does anyone know if this is just an app update or would this come in with a FW update.

My 554 still has the original FW on it since I got it. XP1.21.2.1. Has anyone recieved an update higher that this. I heard that later sets being sold haave a higher FW on them.
heisman's Avatar heisman
08:41 PM Liked: 10
post #817 of 1673
07-11-2011 | Posts: 125
Bought mine last week from Amazon and set it up over the weekend. Decent #2 set for the house...great price as well. One question, does Vizio offer an upgraded remote for this set or at least a way to set up hot keys? It seems ridiculous that I have to hit 47 buttons each time I want to change the aspect ratio, the input, or the picture mode. Anyway, the only other issue I have with the tv is that either the colors seem off or they are not nearly as deep as my Pioneer Kuro or Samsung LCD sets. Neither negatives are dealbreakers, however, as I'm very satisfied considering the size and price of the set.
Radio81's Avatar Radio81
01:13 PM Liked: 23
post #818 of 1673
07-12-2011 | Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoroudi View Post

When set to "Game mode"
- For FIOS TV, once in a while (especially after watching TV for over an hour), the screen goes blank every few minutes, then comes back. Turning off the TV, then back on resolves the issue. Or turning off "Game mode" completely resolves the issue

-For XBOX 360, every other time you turn on XBOX, the screen is blinking rapidly when Game Mode is on. Other times, it is find. Turning off Xbox, then TV, or turning off "Game mode" fixes the issue.

Anyone know how to not turn on "Game mode", yet get the benefits of game mode? Specifically, the picture looks like watching a soap opera with game mode off. I am just looking to get that fluid picture without turning on game mode.

What exactly are the benefits of game mode? I notice no difference with it on or off. Yet, I leave it set to off, because of the same flickering you’ve mentioned.

I like the soap opera effect (automotion or whatever vizio calls it), but games are not affected by it. I’m not really sure what you’re asking. If you don’t like the soap opera effect, turn off the automotion. I’m pretty sure you can set each input to be configured independently. When I used multiple HDMI inputs, I could set the automotion off for PS3 (HDMI 1), yet leave it on for my HTPC (HDMI 2).

I love this TV. I have had no problems with it. I bought it for the picture quality. I saw it in store and knew right away it’s what I wanted. I’ve had it since Feb. I looked around at new TVs for ages. I’ve never been sold on plasmas. This was the one tv that was 55”, 480Hz, wireless-n, Backlit-3D LED, and priced at $2K. A similar Samsung or sony would have been a solid grand or more.

I use it for a lot of PS3, and movies via HTPC. Original firmware, and not one reboot. 3D content looks pretty good as well, although I haven’t compared it to other sets. I don’t use the built-in speakers, but they are a lot better than most flat panels.

I did have a hard time finding the Vizio active 3D glasses. I passed on them back in February when I purchased the TV. I didn’t have a 3D capable receiver at the time. I bought a new A/V receiver a couple of months ago, so I figured I’d get some 3D glasses. Only one Sam’s Club within an hour of me (and they’re all over the place in Houston) had them in stock. And when I got to the store, the lady had to search all over the store for them. They were locked up, and the package had a layer of dust over them. They’d been sitting on the shelf for awhile, I imagine. You can however, order them from samsclub.com.

So far, I don’t regret this purchase one bit, or ever wish I’d have bought a different tv. I used to be a hardcore Samsung fan. After reading about the quality control problems Samsung’s been having with their TVs lately, I passed.

If it lasts me 5 years before I get the itch for a new one, I’ll be happy. Now it’s $1500, which is a steal, in my opinion.
exraver's Avatar exraver
03:07 PM Liked: 10
post #819 of 1673
07-13-2011 | Posts: 16
Sams club has 2 pk. 3D glasses for $25, but they're OOS at the moment.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...questid=330404
ReSultZ's Avatar ReSultZ
04:44 PM Liked: 10
post #820 of 1673
07-13-2011 | Posts: 286
Quote:

When set to "Game mode"

Why would anybody use game mode 4 ANY non gaming devices?
I get ZERO problems with game mode and the xbox 360/PC...
I do get screen flashes with the PS3 though
Tryton's Avatar Tryton
03:21 PM Liked: 11
post #821 of 1673
07-15-2011 | Posts: 52
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300576737718

I offered 80.00 and he took it! and free shipping..
naustin's Avatar naustin
10:33 AM Liked: 14
post #822 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by exraver View Post

Sams club has 2 pk. 3D glasses for $25, but they're OOS at the moment.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...questid=330404

Wally World has them for $25 plus about $6 shipping and in stock, I just ordered another pair. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-Full...er=lw9MynSeamY
aperry's Avatar aperry
10:50 AM Liked: 10
post #823 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Wally World has them for $25 plus about $6 shipping and in stock, I just ordered another pair. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-Full...er=lw9MynSeamY

I'm not really sold on the 3D thing, but for $25 it's worth a try! Just ordered a set. Thanks for the tip!
12:00 PM Liked: 15
post #824 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry View Post

I'm not really sold on the 3D thing, but for $25 it's worth a try! Just ordered a set. Thanks for the tip!

All Gone!
twosted's Avatar twosted
04:55 PM Liked: 12
post #825 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 41
Quote:

All Gone!

What? I just ordered a pair. Check again.
BluThunder's Avatar BluThunder
04:58 PM Liked: 10
post #826 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

What? I just ordered a pair. Check again.

Yep - me to. Out of stock at 4 pm eastern, just got a pair at 6:30 pm
MISSY QUICK's Avatar MISSY QUICK
06:17 PM Liked: 11
post #827 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluThunder View Post
Yep - me to. Out of stock at 4 pm eastern, just got a pair at 6:30 pm
I just ordered a pair at 8:15 pm eastern time.

MQ
06:26 PM Liked: 15
post #828 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 1,116
Yep, they have them in stock again, I just ordered a pair, 8:25 est.
mccleodx's Avatar mccleodx
07:44 PM Liked: 10
post #829 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Yep, they have them in stock again, I just ordered a pair, 8:25 est.
Excellent. Just got my XT3D554SV yesterday... Today you guys hook me up with proper settings & cheap glasses. Thanks much!

Set successfully bought 6:03 PM PST.
wiltony's Avatar wiltony
10:47 PM Liked: 10
post #830 of 1673
07-16-2011 | Posts: 3
Just wondering if anyone knows if this this series cannot connect to 802.11 b/g since they only specify as having 802.11n? I've only got a b/g router and I'm having problems connecting.
naustin's Avatar naustin
12:40 AM Liked: 14
post #831 of 1673
07-17-2011 | Posts: 268
The 802.11n protocol is backward compatible to b & g so your problem is elsewhere. WiFi over b or the later g protocol will be slower and not have as much range (maybe not enough to reach your TV). If your using an 802.11g router I'd suggest trying to hardwire your network connection or upgrading to a new 802.11n protocol router. Once you have made the connection test your speed & connection strength on the Vizio's HDTV setup Network sub-menu. Video over the internet takes a fast connection generally is excess of 2500 kbps or 2.5 Mbps for HD 5 Mbps is preferred
2large's Avatar 2large
02:45 PM Liked: 10
post #832 of 1673
07-17-2011 | Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisman View Post

Anyway, the only other issue I have with the tv is that either the colors seem off or they are not nearly as deep as my Pioneer Kuro or Samsung LCD sets. Neither negatives are dealbreakers, however, as I'm very satisfied considering the size and price of the set.

Well, you can adjust the colors, and many users do, to their taste. Various suggested settings can be found on this forum, including the Home Theater Magazine suggested settings, which many users seem to like.

Not as deep as the Kuro? Ho, ho. According to almost everyone, noone has matched the old Kuros yet - Pioneer has some proprietary technology they used. Of course, they haven't been made in a number of years (Pioneer doesn't make any HDTVs anymore), and they were VERY expensive when they were still being made. You can find them used, but they are still VERY expensive.
2large's Avatar 2large
03:12 PM Liked: 10
post #833 of 1673
07-17-2011 | Posts: 121
Just checked on the 3D glasses - out of stock online at Wally's and Sam's. However, a few (very few) Wally stores have them in stock at their stores, in this area, at least, albeit at a somewhat higher price than what was offered online - $39.88. Still a very good deal. There's only one store in this area that has them, so I'm going to pick up a pair.
heisman's Avatar heisman
04:43 PM Liked: 10
post #834 of 1673
07-17-2011 | Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large View Post

Well, you can adjust the colors, and many users do, to their taste. Various suggested settings can be found on this forum, including the Home Theater Magazine suggested settings, which many users seem to like.

Not as deep as the Kuro? Ho, ho. According to almost everyone, noone has matched the old Kuros yet - Pioneer has some proprietary technology they used. Of course, they haven't been made in a number of years (Pioneer doesn't make any HDTVs anymore), and they were VERY expensive when they were still being made. You can find them used, but they are still VERY expensive.

Can you send me a lind to HTM's suggested settings? Would love to check them out. I've been playing around with the colors and seem to be making some improvements....especially with the blue's and yellow's.
asoroudi's Avatar asoroudi
10:14 AM Liked: 10
post #835 of 1673
07-18-2011 | Posts: 15
Radio81... Thx for the reply. That is exactly what I want to turn off for everything/inputs (Soap opera effect).
Where do you see the option to turn of automotion? I can't find that.
Game mode does exactly that (turns of the soap opera effect), that is why I have it enabled for all inputs; but obviously, the issue is with the flickering when Game mode is turned on.
Thx
JukeBox360's Avatar JukeBox360
05:40 PM Liked: 50
post #836 of 1673
07-18-2011 | Posts: 6,654
Ok people. I've been reading up on this thread from time to time now. Need to ask. Has anyone had any issues with there sets? Not quality wise but quality wise. Any sets malfunction or break quickly? Or Maybe directly after the warranty expired?

I ask because I'm very close to buying this set. My only concern is the brand. I fell the quality of the TV will be low and break rather quickly. Or is this something I shouldn't worry about? If i purchase this set. I'd like it to last me at least another 5 years.

Gamers. How does this set work out? I highly doubt I will be using this set to game but when I do have people come over the set will be used for gaming. So I'd like to know how that would work out for me.
toolwarrior's Avatar toolwarrior
08:59 PM Liked: 10
post #837 of 1673
07-18-2011 | Posts: 406
I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 554 today. I don't have my HD service yet, but if this is what standard def looks like, I think I will be in heaven with HD.

Here is my first nube question. What the heck is up with the time it takes for the picture to come on after I hit the power button on the remote. It takes 11 seconds from the time I press the power button till the VISIO INTERNET APPS sceen appears. It then takes another 5 seconds before the picture actually appears. WTF. Is there something I have set wrong? Could it be related to my dish network box? What are the rest of you 554 owners seeing for a time from button press... to picture on the screen?

Thanks so much.
Rich
wiltony's Avatar wiltony
09:53 PM Liked: 10
post #838 of 1673
07-18-2011 | Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

The 802.11n protocol is backward compatible to b & g so your problem is elsewhere. WiFi over b or the later g protocol will be slower and not have as much range (maybe not enough to reach your TV). If your using an 802.11g router I'd suggest trying to hardwire your network connection or upgrading to a new 802.11n protocol router. Once you have made the connection test your speed & connection strength on the Vizio's HDTV setup Network sub-menu. Video over the internet takes a fast connection generally is excess of 2500 kbps or 2.5 Mbps for HD 5 Mbps is preferred

Thanks, I got it working. The problem was that I had a semicolon ( ; ) in my password. Works fine with every other device, but apparently this TV can't handle a semicolon. Once I changed my password, things worked just fine.

aperry's Avatar aperry
08:17 AM Liked: 10
post #839 of 1673
07-19-2011 | Posts: 87
Quote:

Ok people. I've been reading up on this thread from time to time now. Need to ask. Has anyone had any issues with there sets? Not quality wise but quality wise. Any sets malfunction or break quickly? Or Maybe directly after the warranty expired?

I ask because I'm very close to buying this set. My only concern is the brand. I fell the quality of the TV will be low and break rather quickly. Or is this something I shouldn't worry about? If i purchase this set. I'd like it to last me at least another 5 years.

Gamers. How does this set work out? I highly doubt I will be using this set to game but when I do have people come over the set will be used for gaming. So I'd like to know how that would work out for me.

As far as reliability, I haven't noticed a lot of issues on this forum outside of the "random reboot" problem, which some people believe is fixed by removing the Yahoo News widget. For me, it seems to reboot itself once every few weeks. If I have friends over then it's kind of embarrassing for (both me and the Vizio brand).

However I don't think this model has even been out for a year yet, so it's hard to say how it'll hold up over the course of 5 years. Mine's been fine (bought in early Feb), and while loosely paying attention to this thread over the last several months, I haven't noticed very many people complaining of the set "breaking".

I expect to keep mine for 5'ish years as well. However if you're really worried about it breaking then maybe you should look into an extended warranty. I don't think enough data exists yet for this model to understand how long it'll last.
Radio81's Avatar Radio81
08:39 AM Liked: 23
post #840 of 1673
07-19-2011 | Posts: 298
Quote:

Radio81... Thx for the reply. That is exactly what I want to turn off for everything/inputs (Soap opera effect).
Where do you see the option to turn of automotion? I can't find that.
Game mode does exactly that (turns of the soap opera effect), that is why I have it enabled for all inputs; but obviously, the issue is with the flickering when Game mode is turned on.
Thx

I beleive it's in the advanced picture/video settings. Let me know if you can't find it. I'm at work now, but I can look at home later if you need me to.
Tags: Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread