EAS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post

Does this set have the local dimming feature as well?

The full set of specs is a few clicks away.

http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/xvt3d554sv.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1672 Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw this display yesterday for the first time. Didn't get a chance to spend any time with it but the first thing that jumped out at me was Vizio seemed to have done a really nice job on the AR filter. I'm not a big fan of gloss screens but from what I could tell in the few minutes with the display it seems the AR filter on this 554 is a much more solid effort than what LG put on the Infinias.
post #63 of 1672 Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 584
That is a drag that the screen is glossy. I hate to say it but at that point might as well buy a plasma.... I mean the Panasonic TC-P54VT25 is an amazing set and comes with 3D kit for a little more in price. I guess its time to snag a XVT553SV while you can.

It is amazing to me that the only advantage to a LED/LCD is that the screen is not glossy. In the same regard I understand why they go to a glossy screen, 97% of the time the picture will be better. The more you try to make a screen less reflective, the worse the picture is 97% of the time. Still in the end why take away the # 1 reason a LED/LCD is better than plasma? Why? In the end this is one on the reasons why plasma sales are back up. The only screen that is left in local dimming that is not glossy now is the Sony's

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #64 of 1672 Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post

Walford,

I only see the blooming on credits - white letters on a black background.

You are correct- it is motion blur and not motion artifacts. It is to the same extent as on the 3SV.

I do not remember the settings but can let you know tomorrow when I get back home.

Can you let us know your settings on the 4SV? Also, would you say that the 480Hz on the 4SV has any noticeable improvement over the 240Hz on the 3SV?

I'm a current 3SV owner who is experiencing some motion blur and artifacts during football games with Smooth Motion set anywhere from Low to High (with Smooth Motion set to Off, motion handling is terrible). I know it's not my HDMI cable or HD Cable Box because I'm using the same ones as I did with a prior Sony and Samsung where motion blur was not a problem.

Vizio XVT473SV: 47" FALD with 640 LED's and 160 Zones.

Seeking: 65"+ FALD UHD with 1,200+ LED's and 350+ Zones.
post #65 of 1672 Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know if this set will accept a 120hz input? On bring problem with my current set is it only accepts 60hz input at 1080P I need to be able to input 50hz and also preferably 120hz as well since it is hooked up to an HTPC. There is no comparison between 60hz and 120hz input on a monitor, now if only I could get a TV that actually handles it as well.

ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2

ERIC
post #66 of 1672 Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandt View Post

Does anyone know if this set will accept a 120hz input? On bring problem with my current set is it only accepts 60hz input at 1080P I need to be able to input 50hz and also preferably 120hz as well since it is hooked up to an HTPC. There is no comparison between 60hz and 120hz input on a monitor, now if only I could get a TV that actually handles it as well.

ERIC

Got confirmation from Vizio only 60hz accepted :-(

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2

ERIC
post #67 of 1672 Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM

Hi, I have a question.
Does the xvt3d4sv series are 1080p/24 compatible ?
post #68 of 1672 Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurika View Post
Hi, I have a question.
Does the xvt3d4sv series are 1080p/24 compatible ?
good question
Id also like to know the lifespan of the tv
post #69 of 1672 Old 12-25-2010, 11:43 AM

pmub
post #70 of 1672 Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 PM

I've had this set for several weeks now. The 2D image is spectacular, but I'm having some issues with 3D.

Most of these issues appear while watching Direct TV's n3D channel. Most of the time, things work well. But occasionally the images are just a mess. For example, in the loop the runs between shows on n3D, the music scenes are perfect, but the scene of the eagle turns into a clutter of overlapping images.

It doesn't seem to matter where I'm sitting relative to the set, this image always falls apart. Similarly, watching a show on mummies most images were good, but a scene showing the pyramids featured a translucent section around each pyramid.

On the other hand, I've not seen this issue (so far) in watching blu rays.

What is it I'm seeing?
post #71 of 1672 Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Are the bad scenes high contrast scenes?
What Picture Mode are you using for your DirecTv HDMI connection and what are your backlighting, brightness,and contrast settings for it?
Same questoin for your PS3 HDMI connection?
post #72 of 1672 Old 12-31-2010, 08:54 AM

Well I'm looking for a new 55" TV. I'm a little sad that Vizio didn't come out with the 72" LCD, so I'm looking at their 55's. It's a toss up between

1. XVT3D554SV (their new 480hz 3D TV) or

2. XVT553SV (Last years top of the line 240hz model)

I'm a big gamer and play both the 360 and PS3. I'm really interested in the 3D for games and BlueRay. The price difference between the 2 is only $350 so the price difference isn't to big of a deal. I'm seeing people with failed power supplies on the new XVT3D554SV which has me a little worried. I'd get it local at Sams Club so I could return it. I also saw a member in this thread returned the XVT3D554SV for the 553SV cause of the glossy screen. My theater room is in a basement with no window's so glare is a moot point. I just turn the lights off. Basically I'm pretty much leaning towards the XVT3D554SV and just want to know how the 3D looks on it and how is gaming on it? I won't be getting one for another month or two but it's going to be pretty soon.
post #73 of 1672 Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Any XVT554SV vs LG's 55LX9500 comparisons?
post #74 of 1672 Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM

How does this TV perform with the Xbox 360?
post #75 of 1672 Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Any opinion as to whether this set will perform better that the Sony HX or NX 800 series?
post #76 of 1672 Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In theory the XVT3D554SV, like the 553SV and the LG's will have a much wider viewing angle than the current Sony & Sami LED sets. My XVT3D554SV arrives tomorrow, its like Christmas....
post #77 of 1672 Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Naustin,

Let us know how you like this set as soon as you have it up and running. This set a high on my list and I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks.
post #78 of 1672 Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

I've used this set with both the PS3 and 360. It looks terrific, though the blacks are so black here that some games looked a good deal darker than on my old set. 3D off the PS3 works well, but I'm continuing to get occasional ghosting, particularly in bright scenes.
post #79 of 1672 Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Any noticeable lag with the Xbox?
post #80 of 1672 Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM

I've only had the set up & running for a couple of hours. Amazon got it to me in 4 workdays. Sure beats lugging it home in a borrowed SUV or pickup. I'm using the CNET XVT553SV settings for now only with the Light Sensor on high. So far very nice. I'm just using 2D since my 3D glasses are en route from dell.com

I'm coming from a 46" Mitsubishi 1080p 60 Hz LCD matte screen, circa 2007. The Mitsu had great color but I had to set it bright to get any contrast or black level. So I've got to recalibrate my visual perception (eyes). I'm still working on color settings but the similar CNET settings are adequate for now. Things have changed for the better since 2007! The Vizio stand still doesn't rotate & the screen & black bezel are mirror reflective when off. Powered on the screen is only a little reflective when I turn on a table lamp off to the side but not bad. You soon forget its there. I haven't tried it in daylight yet. The viewing angle in 2D is excellent to about 80 degrees from center. Viewing angle is a big deal to me since I have a yr old 40" Sharp Aquos LCD in my bedroom that is terrible losing color & black level if you don't view it straight on plus or minus about 10 degrees. I can't comment on the Vizio speakers since I run thru a Onkyo 3D receiver. I'll report more impressions as I discover things.
post #81 of 1672 Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM

I will be getting mine today (Wed) between 1pm and 5pm (thanks, Pilot, for the pinpoint delivery window /sarcasm). I'll post my opinions once i get some time with it. 3D glasses charged and ready...3D movie already bought....3D mode in Gran Turismo 5 ready to go.

Just some background: I'm upgrading from a Sony 50'' SXRD (XBR1) that I got a few years ago. My love affair with that television is finally coming to an end with todays crazy contrast levels and other improvements. It's going to be a considerable difference.

Also, my Vizio will be put in a living room with a decent amount of light from windows. It's not TOO much, and the TV isn't going to be opposite a wall with windows, but I'll let you know how 'terrible' this glossy screen is that everyone is soo worried about.

And finally, with the exception of people with vision problems or those who wear glasses, to those people who are hating on 3D....wearing a pair of glasses NEVER seemed like some horrible deterrent to me. I just don't get why it's such a big deal. They're glasses. Wear them. For 2 hours. And if you aren't 'sold' on 3D yet, then you apparently haven't actually seen what 3D can do these days....but I digress...
post #82 of 1672 Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I've only had the set up & running for a couple of hours. Amazon got it to me in 4 workdays. Sure beats lugging it home in a borrowed SUV or pickup. I'm using the CNET XVT553SV settings for now only with the Light Sensor on high. So far very nice. I'm just using 2D since my 3D glasses are en route from dell.com

I'm coming from a 46" Mitsubishi 1080p 60 Hz LCD matte screen, circa 2007. The Mitsu had great color but I had to set it bright to get any contrast or black level. So I've got to recalibrate my visual perception (eyes). I'm still working on color settings but the similar CNET settings are adequate for now. Things have changed for the better since 2007! The Vizio stand still doesn't rotate & the screen & black bezel are mirror reflective when off. Powered on the screen is only a little reflective when I turn on a table lamp off to the side but not bad. You soon forget its there. I haven't tried it in daylight yet. The viewing angle in 2D is excellent to about 80 degrees from center. Viewing angle is a big deal to me since I have a yr old 40" Sharp Aquos LCD in my bedroom that is terrible losing color & black level if you don't view it straight on plus or minus about 10 degrees. I can't comment on the Vizio speakers since I run thru a Onkyo 3D receiver. I'll report more impressions as I discover things.

Which model receiver do you have? I'd be interested in seeing if HDMI-CEC and ARC work on this TV. The specs say it has both, but I see no mention of them in the manual.
post #83 of 1672 Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM

I'm using the Onkyo RC260 aka the non THX SR608. I haven't tried the Audio Return Channel (ARC) yet. Though I have had it configured on the receiver even when the Mitsu couldn't use it. During the Visio TV setup you are asked if you are using a receiver & external speakers & are told to use the optical connector between the TV & receiver. I aborted that part, since I have an toslink optical cable on order.

Getting audio back from the TV to the receiver will be important because of the VIA feature. I want to hear my Web apps output audio. Currently I just have the Vizio volume set to zero pending the toslink arrival.

When I turned on my slim PS3 (to watch a movie, I'm a poor gamer) the Sony did recognize that a 3D TV was connected via the receiver. I'm not familiar with exactly how HDMI-CEC works.
post #84 of 1672 Old 01-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Hello all!

Actually came to this forum searching for Help with this television. The 3D crosstalk or ghosting with this television is horrible. I'm not sure if it's the glasses or the television or what. 3D via Comcast or 3D Blue Ray all have the crosstalk issue. We even took our glasses to the local Sam's club and and tried used them with the 47" and the 42" Vizio 3D tvs with the same issue occurring... Crosstalk and a lot of it. Called tech support and they seemed clueless. Help!?
post #85 of 1672 Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 AM

hi to all i just have a question about the xvt554 i will be recieving mine shortly and was reading about the ces deal with vizio and what they offering in 2011 is there anyway the vizio could put out a update of some sort that will fix the 3d and mke it where you can use regular theatre glasses like the new models that will be coming out and for those of us that hve this tv and dont want to go out and buy another to fix ghosting i hve been hearing about. im new to all this tv tech stuff and what can a firmware update do really for vizio tv is this possible

any info on this will be greatly appreciated
post #86 of 1672 Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Personally speaking, I recently chose this TV not for the 3D aspect but because it simply blew away all the other much more expensive TVs in 2D. The combo of 480hz refresh, and 10,000,000:1 CR is an inescapable advantage, and after having seen many DV sets and excellent FP systems over 33 years doing A/V, I can state irrevocably that I have never seen such exacting and correct color rendition come straight out of the Box.

As for the gloss Screen, if one is using effective light control/placement, it is a distinct advantage. Matte Screens do allow more leeway with such "in-line of sight" reflections, but if you compare two sets side by side in ideal conditions, between Matte and Gloss, the Matte looks very attenuated as far as both colors, the depth of Blacks, and observable detail.

It's something you do have to see to determine, or one will obviously feel the Matte screen has the upper hand, especially if one does have light control issues..

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #87 of 1672 Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 AM

I just got the XVT3D474SV for Christmas..

The video quality is fantastic, my wife, son, and friends who have seen it are truly impressed. The blacks are deep as anything I've ever seen.. Great viewing angle.. The picture is very sharp, well focused..

I was torn between this set and the XVT473SV because both had the 160 dimming zones.. The older set was on sale at Costco at a very attractive price.. I decided to go with this set instead to scratch my 3D itch and on the possibility of other technical advancements like the 480Hz versus the 240Hz of the previous set..

Disappointments: The 3D has a lot of ghosting as the previous poster mentioned.. You sometimes see three objects when there should be one. You see the left, 3d composed, and the right at the same time which is very disconcerting.. I purchased the History Channel 3D Universe: 7 Wonders of the solar system which I played via HDMI thru my PS3 and saw what other posters in other threads have stated about high contrast scenes having issues.. There are many high contrast scenes in space.. Those are handled the worst.. From reading online it seems that the glasses are the primary cause, as to work properly they would need to completely go opaque, and that is the current limitation preventing proper 3D viewing on all of the 3D sets across the different brands.. Perhaps a better set of 3D glasses could resolve the situation.

Questions:

1) Is there any observable difference in regards to how motion is handled by the 480Hz versus the 240Hz of the previous generation?

2) Why does Netflix movies take so long to load? Takes up to 3 to 5 minutes for the movies to play once I select them.. Must be some sort of buffering going on there..
post #88 of 1672 Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

hi to all i just have a question about the xvt554 i will be recieving mine shortly and was reading about the ces deal with vizio and what they offering in 2011 is there anyway the vizio could put out a update of some sort that will fix the 3d and mke it where you can use regular theatre glasses like the new models that will be coming out and for those of us that hve this tv and dont want to go out and buy another to fix ghosting i hve been hearing about. im new to all this tv tech stuff and what can a firmware update do really for vizio tv is this possible

any info on this will be greatly appreciated

The manual with the XVT3D554SV states it already supports real3D which is the technology Vizio is showing on their new 65" model at CES. It's a less expensive option than the active shutter glasses that manufacturers introduced last year. But I don't see any real3D product discs or programs yet. It's hard to predict what a manufacturer will do, but I guess most will issue firmware updates to help ghosting issues if they can. It's bad PR for the company & 3D if they don't imho. I bought the Vizio for state of the art 2D and future access to 3D as the service matures.
post #89 of 1672 Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM

I've had some time with it....and here are the bare bones results...

BEAUTIFUL 2D performance. Toe to toe with any 'best picture' out there.

3D performance is great when it wants to be, but there is entirely too much ghosting. I understand this comes with the territory, but it needs addressed.

The QWERTY remote isn't the 'worst' thing in the world, but if you are used to something like the Harmony, then it's going to seem like it's some tinker-toy. Still, you can't deny the usefulness of the slide-out keyboard with all of those apps.
post #90 of 1672 Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Im looking at getting one of these as my bedroom set. Im torn between this and plasma. Im a big plasma fan, but have noticed lcd's are very good now. Why am i havng a hard time buying a vizio though? I dont want to hear the "its good for the price" excuse. Does this panel really stack up against, or even beat the best panels out there? I currently have a kuro for my main display, so my expectations are high. Any thoughts?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page