Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Your fine here, it's the same set just a smaller screen. Welcome

The default backlight setting is 55 in Movie mode. Adjust to your eyes. This is the one setting that doesn't require a calibration dvd. Or you could use the Ambient Light Sensor option, which disables the manual Backlight setting & automatically adjusts based on how your room is lit at the time. For many months I used the Ambient Light Sensor on High & was quite pleased with the image. I recently discovered a backlight of 55 is about the same, so now I don't use the Ambient Light sensor.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried adjusting the display last night and I made some progress. I used DVE to adjust brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness.

Brightness was adjusted with local dimming turned off. Contrast was very easy to adjust because it was quite obvious where whites were clipped/crushed.

Color and tint is another story. Blue and red look spot on, but green leans toward a reddish hue (green saturation looks fine). I can't adjust the hue enough to compensate without destroying red and blue. I suppose I will have to live with it unless there is a service menu setting for adjusting individual colors.

Finally, backlight still seems a little weird to me coming from a CRT and plasma background. I turned it down to 20, but the picture was overly dark with respect to the ambient light in the room. I bumped it up to 40, and that seems okay. However, I think it affects the black level during scenes that have a high average picture level. That is, scenes with high APL don't have as desirable a black level as scenes with a low APL.

Finally, I feel like the overall color of the display appears a tad "under-saturated". I'm comparing this to my Pioneer plasma, so maybe that is an unfair comparison. If so, please let me know. I compared DVE on both displays and both look relatively spot on when it comes to the color bars with gray reference (as do the SMPTE color bars).

In any event, I am having a great time working with this display. The number of controls placed in the user domain (as opposed to the service menu) is impressive. And my wife loves it. We purchased it for her gaming and movie watching enjoyment, and she is quite happy with it.

Suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1672 Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
[quote=2large;20740464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large
RE: ARC
I am a bit confused about the Audio Return Channel (ARC) availability. I have a 554, and a Denon AVR, and have just a single HDMI 1.4 cable connecting them. The Denon has the capability to power the TV sound over my front speakers, subwoofer and center channel speaker. I have it set up so it does this automatically as soon as I turn on the Denon, and at that point the sound no longer comes out of the TV's speakers. And when I turn the Denon off, the TV sound then comes through the TV speakers, powered by the TV.

How is having an ARC different from this?

But isn't that what's happening with my setup? Isn't the audio signal from my 554 being passed via one HDMI cable back into an ARC capable receiver, and the sound is then amplified and sent out to the speakers, and the TV speakers inactivated? So does the TV have ARC capability after all?

Radio 81 in his comment above seemed to indicate that this ARC problem some people are referring to is only a problem for persons without an ARC-capable AVR. So do ARC-equipped TVs not require an ARC-capable AVR to utilize the single wire hookup? Is that what the deal is?

I'm just trying to understand what the "lack-of-ARC" problem is that these folks are talking about, because it seems to be working for me.

I think you're getting HDMI passthrough confused with ARC. Your HDMI is still only sending a signal from the source to the TV. Not from the TV to the receiver.
post #903 of 1672 Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

By the way, is there a gamma setting? I realize that this is not part of the user level settings, but perhaps it is available in the service menu?

Thanks!
post #904 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wally's got the 3D Glasses back in stock but now the price is 178 bucks. I don't think they will sell out now!

I don't get their pricing, that's the highest I've seen them anywhere.
post #905 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Does anyone think that the xvt3d554sv will be upgraded to VIA Plus?
post #906 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM

I did another calibration run last night.

I wanted to accomplish the following:

1. Improve color balance and at low levels (1%-6%) and decrease "noise" at these low levels.

2. Determine if I could improve gamma from 50%-100%

3. Measure ANSI contrast ratio

4. Attempt to measure full on/full off contrast ratio

Report:

1. I was indeed able to improve color balance at low levels AND decrease "noise" at these low levels. Prior to my run last night, I had excellent grayscale results from 10%-100%; but in very low APL scenes, there was a distinct green/blue shift which was distracting. I was able to calibrate this out of the picture, which removed the low level noise. Now, there is still an excess of blue (which is inherent to LCD) but it is not nearly as apparent as having excess green and blue. I am very pleased with the result.

2. I was not able to improve gamma response. I REALLY wish VIZIO had included user level adjustments for gamma. I have a JVC RS10 and it allows incredible gamma controls - at 5% intervals for white, red, blue, and green. That level of control has REALLY spoiled me. But, the VIZIO gamma is still acceptable.

3. Now for the ANSI report. I was very interested in finding out how much ANSI contrast the 4sv was capable of.

ANSI CONTRAST RATIO

Smart Dimming = Off
Backlight = 50
100% = 53.157 ftL
0% = .055 ftL
ANSI CONTRAST RATIO = 966:1

Smart Dimming = On
Backlight = 50
100%=41.148
0% = .021 ftL
ANSI CONTRAST RATIO = 1959:1

As you can see, with Smart Dimming On, the ANSI contrast ratio is doubled. It is also interesting to note that 100% is displayed at 17% brighter than the full field measurement (which is similar to how a crt or plasma handle ANSI and window measurements). This is very likely a result of the dynamic gamma. An ANSI of roughly 2000:1 is excellent. From memory, the best of the CRT's only manage 150/200:1

4. Measuring ON/OFF contrast ratio is much more challenging. Obviously, the 4sv has an infinite contrast ratio when displaying 0% because the LED's shut off completely. This makes a fade to black perfect because there is 0 light on the screen.

Measurement:

Backlight = 100
100% = 81 ftL
0% = 0.0000 ftL
On/Off Contrast Ratio = Infinite

However, I wanted to measure how much light was on the screen when the LED's were turned on across the entire screen. (You might have noted in the hometheatermag review that TJN was unable to get the LED's to stay off when the smallest amount of light was present anywhere on the screen. With all due respect, that was because he had brightness set too high - at 51 rather than 48. As I have mentioned, at 51 the LED's stay on; at 48, the LED's act independently [as they should] and they stay off until their zone is lit.) So what I did was displayed a screen which displays Video 12-24 across the middle center of the screen. With brightness set correctly, and with a gamma of 2.2, Video 17-24 will flash dark gray bars. All the other bars (16 and below) are Video black. However, above and below the bars across the entire screen are numbers 12-24. The reason that is important is because the numbers are displayed at 100% which means that every LED zone is affected. Therefore, all the zones turn on - even the ones in Video Black (these would normally be turned off completely if the numbers weren't present). The effect is similar to a space scene with stars spread over the entire screen.

Next, I turned up the backlight to 100 so I could get the most accurate black level reading.

Measurements:

Backlight = 100
100% = 81 ftL
0% = .008 ftL
"Modified" On/Off Contrast Ratio = 10,125:1

Now, like I had mentioned, this black level reading was with backlight = 100 so I could get an accurate reading at such low levels.

Backlight = 50
100% = 35.229
0% = .0034
"Modified" On/Off Contrast Ratio = 10,125:1

This is the setting that I use. 35 ftL is comfortable in a fully darkened room and makes day scenes very believable and pleasing. Plus, having a "modified" black level of .003 ftL is very acceptable. Keep in mind, that .003 is when there is enough bright highlights spread around the entire screen to turn on ALL of the LED's. Again, this is the black level that you would see in a space scene with stars spread across the entire screen. When the scene calls for bright lights/content in only parts of the screen, the LED's in the "black" zones turn off completely, and the contrast ratio is infinite (just like CRT).

Now for those of you who want "KURO" black levels. Hometheatermag reported a "conservative" black level of .001 for the Kuro. This was with 33.5 ftL at 100%. So, to get the 4sv to .001, you would have to set the backlight at about 10 (which would give you about 10 ftL at 100%). This means that that the 4sv would look similar to the Kuro in low to mid APL scenes and not as good as the Kuro in high APL scenes. However, the 4sv would be superior to the Kuro in fade-to-black.

Summary:

I believe that a backlight at 50 is the perfect balance for me in a fully darkened room. I get 35 ftL at full white and 0 ftL (complete black) at full black. I also get a "modified" on/off contrast ratio of 10,125:1. And, as I mentioned, I get an ANSI ratio of 1,959:1. This is with excellent grayscale tracking with dE of 3 or less from 20IRE-100IRE.

Settings:

Movie
Backlight = 50
Brightness = 45
Contrast = 50
Color = 39
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 5
Color Temperature = Normal
Red Gain = 130
Green Gain = 120
Blue Gain = 123
Red Offset = 111
Green Offset = 110
Blue Offset 131
Noise Reduction = Off
Color Enhancement = Off
Adaptive Luma = Low
Smart Dimming = On
Ambient Light Senor = Off
LL
LL
LL

Daniel

JVC RS-10
Sony KDL-46S5100
post #907 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

@csedaniel, I freakin' loved that post. Thanks for the information.
post #908 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

Does anyone think that the xvt3d554sv will be upgraded to VIA Plus?

What's Via Plus. Looked over Vizio's website but didn't see anything.
post #909 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone on the early adopter VIP program for the 555's? If so, PM me...I'm waiting to hear back from V on a pre-production review sample if they aren't already in the early adopter stage. If I find out helpful info. on the VIP program, I'll come back on here and post it for your true fanboys
post #910 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Oh well, I just heard back from them...they're being all tight lipped but the short of it is there is no prototype available and no early adopter program yet.
post #911 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csedaniel View Post

The key to all of this is to set brightness no higher than 48. That is where the true magic happens with the smart dimming LED's. At 48, you get good shadow detail (because of gamma being about 2.1) but you get the excellent, real time LED dimming. If you prefer a slighter darker (and more CRT-like gamma), then experiment with brightness setting between 42-45. You give up some shadow detail (because of the higher gamma), but you get richer colors and a more 3d image....a tradeoff I am willing to make.

I might have missed it, but would you mind sharing which test patterns you used to evaluate this issue? I really appreciate the work you put into this.
post #912 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Any thoughts on LG 55LW5600 vs. Vizio XVT3D554SV? Thanks.
post #913 of 1672 Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

What's Via Plus. Looked over Vizio's website but didn't see anything.

VIA Plus is the new VIA on Android platform that the new models will have.
post #914 of 1672 Old 07-28-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

VIA Plus is the new VIA on Android platform that the new models will have.

Thanks for the reply

I doubt very much if Vizio will update our sets, even if it's possible. They haven't even fully activated the USB ports that they have been promising for the past 3 years.

Fortunately, for me, that's not important and I do like the set. The picture is beautiful on both my 553 and 554. I especially like the 554 with the glossy screen it really gives the picture depth.

The 3D is ok for fun, I've watched it on my Vizio and friends Panasonic and Samsung and none of them really excite me. They all have the crosstalk. I don't think it's the TV sets, I think it's more on how the video was made.
post #915 of 1672 Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM

Liked: 14
I upgraded from my 40" Sammy LNT4061F (went into bedroom now) and my xvt3d554sv arrived yesterday and now all rigged up to:

* new Yamaha RX-V671 AVR
* Sony PS3 v 3.66 firmware
* Samsung HD Cable t.v. box
* Infinity 750 series speakers (only fronts, center & 10" sub so far)
* Roku HD

I wanna say thank you to everyone in this forum, this is such a great t.v.

I slightly decreased t.v. 'color' setting out of the box no other tweaks yet.

Last night I watched Inception on HBO (1080i) - snow fortress sequence toward end was breathtaking. Fast action, no ghosting, deeply textured images jumping off the screen. It felt like being on skis with the characters. It almost felt like 3D.

Today I streamed 1st 30 minutes of Fellowship of the Ring via Netflix.... three ways. I used Vizio's VIA Netlfix app to confirm the t.v. speakers are indeed useless. Put FOTR on pause, switched to Roku Netflix app, restarted film, looks awesome. Paused film, switched to PS3 Netflix app. In my opinion hands down the streaming image from PS3 and upscaled (I think) by the Yammy looked best.

**** off topic slightly but for anyone who knows about the 'green tinge' controversy re: LOTR Extended Blu-Ray set, FOTR starts very overly green tinted in The Shire, using all three apps. I think the whole Blu-Ray tinge issue is blown out of proportion and will be getting the LOTR bluray boxed set very soon****

Now I'm checking out Aliens from my Blu-Ray boxed set. It's late afternoon with modest natural light I don't have the t.v. wall mounted yet, but the glossy bezel and screen of xvt3d554sv does not appear to be an issue for me.A slight reflection from my windows on the right side of the bezel, but I think the wall mounting will move the t.v. into position with no reflection.

It's only been 1st 24 hours, but the picture quality of the xvt3d554sv vs Samsung is even more incredible than I've read about.

I've watched all the Alien movies dozens of times...and the extended version of Aliens takes place mostly on a very grey and black palette, and even in daylight hours it's just jaw dropping.

I got the Amazon promotion with very cheap 3D glasses, and on tip from this forum also picked up two more sets from Wallyworld when they had that incredible sale price. I just picked the glasses up today, they're all charged up, just don't have any 3D content to watch yet.

With the exception of ARC not being enabled yet on HDMI 1, the VIA GUI is very intuitive. Networking, handshaking with the other components, device set-up, integrating remote functions it's all seamless. Why, oh why oh why on earth Vizio hasn't enabled ARC yet is a dumb firmware omission. Until they do, I'll be using my PS3 for movie streaming and avoiding TOSLINK cables - especially because Yamaha AVR has such robust digital HD audio capabilities.

Back to Aliens, now. It's about to get into the heavier action the first character was just picked off by the Alien, I have to go enjoy.

Once the sun begins to set, I'm gonna fire up an extended Blu Ray copy of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Order some take-out chinese food, and dig in.

LOVING it.
post #916 of 1672 Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM

Liked: 11
I just watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" in 3D and it looked incredible. I took a chance and picked up the glasses on-line, a Sony 3D Bluray from Costo, "Nomio and Juliet" (the only 3D movie available at Sams....Costco had none), and 3 more movies from Amazon.....and I have little kids so I bought all animated films. I also tested out some free programs that Comcast offers in 3D and it too looked awesome. Bottom line, if you like watchin an occasional 3D movie for fun with the kids or want to wow your friends, go out and get the gear, it's really fun.
post #917 of 1672 Old 07-30-2011, 06:53 AM

I turned on my TV this morning (554) and to my surprise, saw this on the screen.

My Version now says "VIZIO_XP2.7.8.1 I don't know what it means yet, but I will let you know if I see something different.
LL
post #918 of 1672 Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM

Sad to report that after my "update", I noticed I was not connected wirelessly as I was before. I tried to reconnect and it would not. My internet is up, my wireless in on, and I have the same WEP password.....nothing has changed. So I go to the Help menu and Reset the TV memory, which is a pain since I will now have to reset my settings. After the restart, it still will not connect. Vizio Chat is not available here yet so I sent an email question. I'm starting to get tired of this.
post #919 of 1672 Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM

My 554 has not received an update.
post #920 of 1672 Old 07-30-2011, 07:26 PM

just got mine last Wednesday, no update here. Vizo told me via several chat support sessions last week the next firmware update released 'late summer 2011,' but I'm shocked to hear this may be out already. I heard 'not yet,' for July, a tentative 'maybe,' for august, more 'probably' in September.

I'm eager to hear what you get for feedback.

I am hoping ARC enabled on HDMI 1 as promised, (in the support chats they were non-committal about feature set). I plugged in a damn TOSLINK and so far, I like the VIA apps more than I thought.
post #921 of 1672 Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 AM

Has anyone else received the update?

I just checked mine and no dice. Still at XP1.21.2.1
post #922 of 1672 Old 07-31-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry View Post

Has anyone else received the update?

I just checked mine and no dice. Still at XP1.21.2.1

Perhaps they cancelled the update when they realized it was breaking WiFi connections.
post #923 of 1672 Old 07-31-2011, 11:47 AM

I'm interested in finding out what the new Vizio has to offer as well. I need to upgrade TV's.
post #924 of 1672 Old 07-31-2011, 02:03 PM

I got the firmware update yesterday, using a LAN connection so not on wireless, but haven't noticed anything new. Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm currently running hdmi from the side connection...

post #925 of 1672 Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contentt View Post
I got the firmware update yesterday, using a LAN connection so not on wireless, but haven't noticed anything new. Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm currently running hdmi from the side connection...
Did you try the USB ports to see if they activated them for media play?
post #926 of 1672 Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM

Check ARC and the USB ports, as noted. Also, check for new apps/applets/whatever they are called - or updated ones. A YouTube one was promised (hehe, yeah right) and some others have been updated in the 553 firmware.

I don't stream much so...can't check those personally once I get it.

And I'm def. annoyed about a move to an android platform...built in GoogleTV would be cool even if GTV is damn close to DOA.
post #927 of 1672 Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csedaniel View Post
I did another calibration run last night.

I wanted to accomplish the following:

1. Improve color balance and at low levels (1%-6%) and decrease "noise" at these low levels.

2. Determine if I could improve gamma from 50%-100%

3. Measure ANSI contrast ratio

4. Attempt to measure full on/full off contrast ratio

snip
Looks like you've met you quota for PMs so I'll just post this here.

You mentioned that you were unable to get smart dimming to function correctly on the Vizio XVT3D4SV when brightness was set above 48. I really appreciated the post on the subject, but I am curious as to which patterns you used to evaluate this. I would like to test this out on my display, and I would like to use the same patterns. If you have a moment, could you let me know?
post #928 of 1672 Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contentt View Post

Did they update Netflix to the newer screen which shows more movie selections on the screen at once.
post #929 of 1672 Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Come on guys, I'm waiting here with bated breath!

Seriously though, I'm really interested to see if the USB ports are enabled, or if the TV is in any way able to stream from a DLNA server (I'm pretty sure I saw this promised way back when). Any new widgets would be great too. Improvements to 3D crosstalk? And of course, ARC (if you can test it).

As of this morning, my TV had not been updated.
post #930 of 1672 Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM

from a Vizio chat support session, "Jaylee" says yes firmware has started pushing. She reports the upgdate adds HULU Plus, Blockbuster, USB support for Still Image and Audio File Playback, Netflix app is updated which gives a new UI, search and other features, VUDU enabled for 3D content."

BUT - NO ARC functionality.

So they updated/added all these movie apps, but no ARC functionality to stream audio without TOSLINK cable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page