Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post
My 554 updated today. The Vizio logo is not any brighter. It is bright when it first turns on, but then dims as it boots, just like it did before the update.
seems like pace of FW updates is a bit more. Still no update here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
I called to register the tv and the update came within 48 hours - might want to give that a shot if you haven't already -
post #1083 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 PM

I've been away from this thread for a while and am just now reading the past month or two of posts. In reference to the shutdown issue, I believe we pretty much figured out it only happens to those of us using wireless and possibly certain widgets, such as the Yahoo widget. I'd venture to guess this has been fixed with the firmware update. However, I only have my TV shutdown maybe once a month, and it's not a big deal. I just wait a few seconds and turn it back on, then go on with my life.
post #1084 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 PM

It is DEFINITELY brighter! See an optometrist soon.

The logo, that is.
post #1085 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacdaddyPS View Post
It is DEFINITELY brighter! See an optometrist soon.

The logo, that is.
Your logo may be brighter, but mine definitely isn't.

What version did yours update to?

Mine was at XP1.21.2.1

It is now at XP2.7.9.1
post #1086 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 PM

I'm on 2.7.9.1 and mine definitely is NOT brighter.
post #1087 of 1670 Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Your logo may be brighter, but mine definitely isn't.

What version did yours update to?

Mine was at XP1.21.2.1

It is now at XP2.7.9.1

Ditto. No change in logo brightness from XP1.21.2.1 to latest.
post #1088 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Liked: 12
I have the new logo, but my firmware is XP1.28.0.2. ????????????????
post #1089 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anybody willing to save a guy hours of searching? I have skimmed this thread some, and compared to many it seems like a relatively happy group ...

I don't care about 3D.

I don't want to waste money, but relatively speaking, price is not a major determining factor.

All I want to know is if there are any reasons to pick a 554 over a 553. (and if you're willing to go beyond Yes or NO, what are the reasons ... lol)

TIA
post #1090 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

I have the new logo, but my firmware is XP1.28.0.2. ????????????????

There are several versions of the firmware out there. XP1.21 was the first. Newer TVs in about April/May came with XP1.28 I believe. I'm guessing that version has the flying V logo instead of the earlier VIA logo. XP2.7.8 came out in early August followed immediately by XP2.7.9 probably to fix a WiFi bug. Hope this helps clear the confusion. I'm talking about the brightness of the "Vizio" logo on the bezel of the TV.
post #1091 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Anybody willing to save a guy hours of searching? I have skimmed this thread some, and compared to many it seems like a relatively happy group ...

I don't care about 3D.

I don't want to waste money, but relatively speaking, price is not a major determining factor.

All I want to know is if there are any reasons to pick a 554 over a 553. (and if you're willing to go beyond Yes or NO, what are the reasons ... lol)

TIA

I'm a very happy 554 owner - what I've learned/read is both models have equal # of apps now (with newer FW), but 553 was buggier at release. My understanding is 553 harder to find in-stock now, seems to be more expensive then the 554, so you're getting less features but paying more money.
post #1092 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

I'm a very happy 554 owner - what I've learned/read is both models have equal # of apps now (with newer FW), but 553 was buggier at release. My understanding is 553 harder to find in-stock now, seems to be more expensive then the 554, so you're getting less features but paying more money.

Personally, i think the 554 is cheaper because a lot of people don't like the glossy screen. I sure do, I was so happy when Vizio came out with this set even though I had bought a 553 only 4 months before it. They are both great sets and I'm enjoying both of them.

I just wish my 554 would update.
post #1093 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Personally, i think the 554 is cheaper because a lot of people don't like the glossy screen. I sure do, I was so happy when Vizio came out with this set even though I had bought a 553 only 4 months before it. They are both great sets and I'm enjoying both of them.

I just wish my 554 would update.

I know - I keep waiting for my update, but nada so far.
post #1094 of 1670 Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM

Ive been waiting for this update for a few weeks, but no luck. I've called Vizio to see if they could push the update to my TV. I've giving them my serial number. One rep asked me if I had it plugged into the net. Told her I via Wifi. She told me to plug it via cable instead of wifi. As a last resort I email them.

08/26/2011 12:11 AM
Hello, I've been reading online that there is a firmware update for xvt3d474sv. I would like to receive this update. I have owned 1 other Vizio tv. On my other Vizio I was able to watch movies, photos, and music via the USB witch is a missing from my current 3d tv. Please if there's any way to push this update to my tv could you please do so. Thanks.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

Here is a suggestion to try to get the update to go through a little faster for you. As long as your device is connected to the internet you will receive the update. Typically the update request is sent by your TV to our server as soon as connection to the internet is established, however it is not downloaded to your TV until the TV is powered off. I would recommend that you leave the TV on for 15 minutes (after connecting it to the internet) to ensure that the request for update is sent from your TV and also received by the server, then turn the TV off, and leave it off for 15 minutes. If when you turn the TV back on you do not receive a message informing you that your TV is updating, then you'll need to leave it on for another 15 minutes, and off again for 15 and so on. If you have not received the update within 24-48 hours, get back in touch with us.

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 877-878-4946 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com.

Thanks and have a great day!

Sarah Baxter
America's Number One Hi-Def TV Company
The Home of Entertainment Freedom for All
800 Stevens Port Drive Suite DD750
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us:
post #1095 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Outside of logo brightness, what are the key improvements I should be concerned about with this firmware update? I received mine over the weekend but have no idea what to expect for "benefits"

Quote:
The great thing about television is that if something important happens anywhere in the world, day or night, you can always change the channel. --- From "Taxi"
post #1096 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM

The obvious benefits are Vizio has finally implemented all its advertised features: USB ports are enabled for pictures & music, CEC with ARC and a more robust app set. I'm not sure what bugs were fixed if any. I doubt we'll get anymore firmware updates unless a major bug is found & has to be quished.
post #1097 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Id like 2 know if the 3D is better after the update.....
post #1098 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM

I read the forum on the 553 for about 6 months and decided to pass on the 553. I did not feel comfortable with the problems on the 553 although my brother bought the 47 inch version without issue. I then read the forum on the 554 and decided to purchase the 554 when the price dropped at all the vendors as it is being discontinued. The problems reported on the 554 were much less frequent and serious than the 553.

This comment is primarily for the non experts out there like me that just wanted a very good non 3d tv, both for sd & hd, and good for streaming movies.

I upgraded to hd on direct tv and have only used the netflix widget. The tv was manufactured in china and came with firmware v xp1.28.0.2. Because of some reported problems with wireless i decided to connect with wired connection. I use cablevision as isp, with avg bandwidth of 12-15 mbps.

I have had the tv for 2 months. I love it. I have not changed the default settings to date. I have downloaded about 10 movies via netflix.

I love this tv. I am so glad i waited. The price i got it at was a steal. Missed the deal to get the $26 3d glasses, will try 3d down raod when i can pickup cheap glasses. The clarity on this set is fantastic to a novice. My last tv was a large sony wega that weighed a ton, so i jumped about 10 years in technology. To date i have not been disapointed. Signed up for several year extended warranty to be safe.

Thanks to all on the 553 and 554 forum for helping me make up my mind. I also read reviews for over a year on every major reviewer website and merchant. I move slowly to make purchases, but feel the 1 year effort paid off.
post #1099 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnLwireless View Post

Ive been waiting for this update for a few weeks, but no luck. I've called Vizio to see if they could push the update to my TV. I've giving them my serial number. One rep asked me if I had it plugged into the net. Told her I via Wifi. She told me to plug it via cable instead of wifi. As a last resort I email them.

Hello, I've been reading online that there is a firmware update for xvt3d474sv. I would like to receive this update. I have owned 1 other Vizio tv. On my other Vizio I was able to watch movies, photos, and music via the USB witch is a missing from my current 3d tv. Please if there's any way to push this update to my tv could you please do so. Thanks.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

Here is a suggestion to try to get the update to go through a little faster for you. As long as your device is connected to the internet you will receive the update. Typically the update request is sent by your TV to our server as soon as connection to the internet is established, however it is not downloaded to your TV until the TV is powered off. I would recommend that you leave the TV on for 15 minutes (after connecting it to the internet) to ensure that the request for update is sent from your TV and also received by the server, then turn the TV off, and leave it off for 15 minutes. If when you turn the TV back on you do not receive a message informing you that your TV is updating, then you'll need to leave it on for another 15 minutes, and off again for 15 and so on. If you have not received the update within 24-48 hours, get back in touch with us.

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 877-878-4946 or chat with us at chat.vizio.com.

Sarah Baxter
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us:

Did this work for you ? It didn't for me. Sigh.
post #1100 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM

I received my update over the weekend. I'm now on VIZIO_XP2.7.9.1, which is odd because I'm pretty sure the "updating firmware" message had a number with an "RC1" at the end.

Anyway, the logo on the front is no brighter. As others have said, it's bright during power-on, but it dims after a few seconds.

The new Netflix app is nice. And I see Hulu Plus as well. Not sure if Blockbuster and Showtime were here before, but I see them now. There's also the new "Media" app which is for photos and music. I tried loading an AVI video file onto a USB and unfortunately it looks like this is all limited to photos and music only (which sucks IMO).

I didn't watch a whole lot of 3D before, but at first glance my version of Avatar 3D seems like it has less crosstalk than before. I honestly don't know though.

Also, I'm on wireless and didn't have any issue with wifi breaking (as someone had commented a while ago).

I don't have an ARC capable receiver yet, but it's good to know that it works now.
post #1101 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnLwireless View Post

Dear Valued Customer,

Sarah Baxter
Dakota Dunes SD 57049
Phone 877-878-4946
visit us:

Got the same message from them, tried what they said and still no update.

Does it really matter if it is connected with wireless or cable?
post #1102 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM

hmmm tv kept turning off...so i unplugged it waited a few minutes turned it back on and when it boots I see a V instead of vizio logo... Can anyone tell me what this is?

EDIT: oh it still says its XP1.21.2.1
post #1103 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post

hmmm tv kept turning off...so i unplugged it waited a few minutes turned it back on and when it boots I see a V instead of vizio logo... Can anyone tell me what this is?

Sounds like you are about to get the firmware update. Late Friday night I turned the TV on and got the new V logo on power up. Next thing I see is the your firmware is being updated message.
post #1104 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM

so leave the tv on now?
post #1105 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post

I hope you didn't interrupt the firmware install by unplugging the TV. The V logo replaced the VIA logo with the new update.
post #1106 of 1670 Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:

I hope you didn't interrupt the firmware install by unplugging the TV. The V logo replaced the VIA logo with the new update.

i mighta..... HELP
post #1107 of 1670 Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the 554 and have a wired connection to the net. Everything works fine including Netflix. The network activity lights are both blinking in the back.

When I turn the set off the Network lights both go off after a few seconds showing no network activity.

So my question is, if these lights are off and it's not connecting to the network how am I going to get a FW update when the set it off?

I have a 553 that has updated but that is at my other house so I can't confirm if those Network activity lights go off with the set is off.
post #1108 of 1670 Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have the 554 and have a wired connection to the net. Everything works fine including Netflix. The network activity lights are both blinking in the back.

When I turn the set off the Network lights both go off after a few seconds showing no network activity.

So my question is, if these lights are off and it's not connecting to the network how am I going to get a FW update when the set it off?

I have a 553 that has updated but that is at my other house so I can't confirm if those Network activity lights go off with the set is off.

Mine was hard wired and I received my update. Never looked to see if lights were active when set was off though. For some reason I think it stays solid green, but will have to check tonight.
post #1109 of 1670 Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have DirecTV and had the HR22 recievers. Recently I had them replaced with the HR24, which is much faster in response time as far as the remote goes but the picture quality is not nearly as good. It is washed out and dark. If I adjust the darkness of the set to get detail then it washes out. I posted in the DirecTV forum and the response I got was:
"These settings are often hidden by mysterious names and functions. Consult the appropriate thread here for that display. There's nothing wrong with the "picture quality", your display is just not set right for RGB-Video color space.
Re-adjusting the contrast and brightness might make it look better but it still won't be correct."

Does anyone know where/how to adjust the RGB color space on this TV. I can't find anything on it.
post #1110 of 1670 Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I have DirecTV and had the HR22 recievers. Recently I had them replaced with the HR24, which is much faster in response time as far as the remote goes but the picture quality is not nearly as good. It is washed out and dark. If I adjust the darkness of the set to get detail then it washes out. I posted in the DirecTV forum and the response I got was:
"These settings are often hidden by mysterious names and functions. Consult the appropriate thread here for that display. There's nothing wrong with the "picture quality", your display is just not set right for RGB-Video color space.
Re-adjusting the contrast and brightness might make it look better but it still won't be correct."

Does anyone know where/how to adjust the RGB color space on this TV. I can't find anything on it.

Sorry but if the picture was good with the earlier receiver & now isn't, it really sounds like its a receiver issue not your TV. Troubleshooting 101.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page