Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1670 Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how is the input lag on these sets for gaming?

is it as bad as the 553 was before the firmware updates? I assume they would have preemptively made it better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1670 Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm not surprised to hear about the poor 3D on this set. I had a feeling this would be the case without even seeing it myself. LG and Vizio share a lot of things these days, and LG's recent first attempt at 3D set also exhibited problems with it's 3D modes.

With that said, no one should be buying this 3D Vizio set for 3D functionality. However, as far as 2D performance goes, I believe this is literally one of the best options on the market today, and possibly even the best. The combination of 480hz, IPS panel, and the local dimming LED makes for an exceptional picture with incredibly good viewing angles. You will not get the same performance from a Samsung or Sony TV.

post #93 of 1670 Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook11 View Post

Im looking at getting one of these as my bedroom set. Im torn between this and plasma. Im a big plasma fan, but have noticed lcd's are very good now. Why am i havng a hard time buying a vizio though? I dont want to hear the "its good for the price" excuse. Does this panel really stack up against, or even beat the best panels out there? I currently have a kuro for my main display, so my expectations are high. Any thoughts?

The XVT series Vizio's aren't that cheap now days & are rarely discounted much. I looked at $4999 msrp LGs & Sami's selling for about $2000. Sony's weren't discounted quite as much (and their sales volumes are down as a result). I found the Vizio didn't look as nice as furniture but had some of the best reviews, specs, viewing angles & picture. I think I bought the best 2D LED TV. I doubt the picture will beat a Pioneer Kuro in a dark room where plasma's are best.
post #94 of 1670 Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Watched Despicable Me 3D blu ray via my PS3 tonight. I noticed almost no crosstalk/ghosting. I'm using the CNET XVT553SV settings for now only with the Light Sensor on high. Viewing angles were wide, & viewing with or without room ambient light was the same. I'll have to try some other 3D Blu rays but the one I've tried to date is perfectly acceptable.
post #95 of 1670 Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 AM

okay im new i might be in wrong section but with this tv and a ps3 a samsung reciever an at&t uverse cabel box and hdmi 1.4 cables how does this work the audio return what is that? im not good with all this tech stuff how do i hook all of this up without using to many cables is there a way the tv has wireless hdmi capability what advantage of 1.4 ethernet cable
post #96 of 1670 Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool1075 View Post

how is the input lag on these sets for gaming?

is it as bad as the 553 was before the firmware updates? I assume they would have preemptively made it better...

to respond to my own post - from people's comments in reviews (amazon, etc) and looking at the manual here:

http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...ser_Manual.pdf

there is a setting (page 33 of the manual) for "game mode" that seems to alleviate the problem. This is not a picture mode, but an actual display setting for audio-visual delay elimination, it seems. I seem to recall some people with the 553 model using this and saying it didn't change anything, but I'm not 100% certain if they were using the correct setting. There is a game picture setting, which is not the same thing - so maybe they used that?

I'm gonna go pick one of these bad boys up at costco - I will report back later today. I will play god of war III on ps3 and see if there is lag...
post #97 of 1670 Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

okay im new i might be in wrong section but with this tv and a ps3 a samsung reciever an at&t uverse cabel box and hdmi 1.4 cables how does this work the audio return what is that? im not good with all this tech stuff how do i hook all of this up without using to many cables is there a way the tv has wireless hdmi capability what advantage of 1.4 ethernet cable

Try to answer this as simply as possible. Everything should connect fine with your hdmi cables. You have to follow the diagrams that come with each device. Audio return requires a cable (RCA or toslink optical) from your TV's audio output to your receiver's audio input. You need Audio return if you are using a receiver for sound rather than the TV's speakers AND you want to hear audio from the VIA web applications when you are connected to the Internet.
post #98 of 1670 Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM

This TV is awesome.

Sharp image, very nice blacks, and the glare is not as bad as the LG plasma I just returned - I like the glossy screen better than the matte on the vizio 553 too- it just gives better contrast.

I'm peer reviewing a paper right now so I can't offer a full review, but I have the TV on in front of me right now, with the sound off, just playing HDNet on dish network showing some MMA fights and it looks gorgeous. No plasma dithering b.s., no fuzzy picture, no fuzzy text, NO buzzing - sharp, colorful, nice picture, proper colors.... awesome.

Finally.
post #99 of 1670 Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 PM

not observing lag when playing a few ps3 games.... switched to game mode, and I get a slight feeling there is a little less lag, but it might be placebo effect. perhaps I need to play some more games to really test it - but right now I don't see a problem at all. I put it in game mode, just in case - can't hurt - it disables some of the motion processing, and the games look great either way...

definitely awesome. saints are down by 4 in the 4th quarter - football looks good on this thing. (this is my first flat panel TV after returning two plasmas that were disappointing) well, they are down by too much now........ damnit. stupid Seattle.
post #100 of 1670 Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Just bought this TV at Sam's Club today. So far, it looks great! I'll post more when I have more time with it.
post #101 of 1670 Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 PM

So far, I am really impressed with the 2D picture, especially blu-ray through our PS3. I haven't tried the 3D, I don't have the glasses yet. The only setting I've changed so far is I turned on Smart Dimming. I have Disney's WOW on order, so I'll try to calibrate it when it comes in.

How do I check the firmware version? Can I do a manual firmware update, or do I have to wait for it to auto-update?

I've never owned a Vizio. I usually buy Sony TV's, but after looking at the features and the reviews, and the awesome picture, I had to try it. The comparable Sony would have cost 2-3 thousand more. And, the Sony doesn't have the cool QWERTY remote...
post #102 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
.....wow.

Back again. Last night, on my 3D554, I reviewed at least 10 different BluRays I use to make critical judgments as far as color / contrast performance when using a variety of Front Projectors and
DIY Screens.

I cannot find anything about the image as seen on screen that tells me I to consider calibrating it. The singular most impressive thing of all....beyond the Contrast and sharpness....is the quality of the rendering of Flesh Tones.

It's just plain spooky great.

VISIO has finally reached a pinnacle of performance where they need not look over their shoulder, nor have end users worry about others looking down their noses at was once considered a "Low End Bargain Display Mfg." Peer pressure has been eliminated...at least for the VISIO owners. Pity the poor SONY owners that pay $1000.00+ more for lessor performance, if you must (...and do...) but as far as the owners of this and similar VISIO 480hz IA sets, thet are doing one 'ell of a lot better than just "OK"!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #103 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
.....wow.

Back again. Last night, on my 3D554, I reviewed at least 10 different BluRays I use to make critical judgments as far as color / contrast performance when using a variety of Front Projectors and
DIY Screens.

I cannot find anything about the image as seen on screen that tells me I to consider calibrating it. The singular most impressive thing of all....beyond the Contrast and sharpness....is the quality of the rendering of Flesh Tones.

It's just plain spooky great.

VISIO has finally reached a pinnacle of performance where they need not look over their shoulder, nor have end users worry about others looking down their noses at was once considered a "Low End Bargain Display Mfg." Peer pressure has been eliminated...at least for the VISIO owners. Pity the poor SONY owners that pay $1000.00+ more for lessor performance, if you must (...and do...) but as far as the owners of this and similar VISIO 480hz IA sets, thet are doing one 'ell of a lot better than just "OK"!
I haven't even adjusted the picture much at all.... I put it on the Movie setting when watching a Movie, Standard when watching TV, and Game when playing PS3. I messed with the color setting, and changing it to "cool" makes things look nice, but I have just been enjoying the TV too much to really mess with the settings. I think I tried the CNET settings for the 553 but it made things look a little too green.

What settings are you using?
post #104 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

also - I have not bought any 3D glasses yet. The manual for this TV says that it is compatible with RealD 3D, which I believe is a passive technology (cheap glasses).

Any word when that is going to come to fruition? I'll contact Vizio to find out I suppose...
post #105 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Are there any reasons to believe this set would have less blooming than the 553?
post #106 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

I haven't even adjusted the picture much at all....

What settings are you using?

"Factory Default" "Out of the Box..as it came."

I've judged many Projectors as such...and found most wanting to some degree. I never met a RPTV, even a Lycos type that I could say the same about, and that applies to Direct View Monitors, CRT & Plasma/LCDs as well. Somehow there was almost always something lacking / excessive needing adjustment.

This then is what makes this TV such a mind boggler to me.

You'd have to have been there, but suffice it to say I being a FP advocate was considering a Epson 8350 and making myself a 82" painted-onto Retractable Screen installation for my personal everyday viewing, and the 554 caught me by surprise. Once I saw it, the price difference between it (approx 2K) and the PJ /Screen option (approx 1.5k) did not seem enough to matter. And I like BIG screens.

I don't think I gave up too much in size to offset what I gained in incredible image quality. I'm happy.

.....and I can always get that PJ later...for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanjc View Post

Are there any reasons to believe this set would have less blooming than the 553?

I can state I don't have such manifested on my set...and I'm no fan of Blooming when using much larger relatively high gain Screens. Even when watching the set in total darkness.

The auto light adjustment might be responsible for that.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #107 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:

also - I have not bought any 3D glasses yet. The manual for this TV says that it is compatible with RealD 3D, which I believe is a passive technology (cheap glasses).

Any word when that is going to come to fruition? I'll contact Vizio to find out I suppose...

Looks like either they have no idea what's going on in South Dakota, or there won't be passive 3D on the 554:

Quote:

Vizio: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat in South Dakota, my name is Joon, Badge 405. What can I assist you with?

Me: I have an XVT3D554SV, and I was wondering if you guys were going to offer passive 3D with the set in the future

Vizio: The TV's that do 3D have to be a 3D tv. I don't know that there's a way to do an update on prior models.

Me: it is a 3D TV. right now, it uses active-shutter glasses. Since the manual states it is RealD 3D certified, I was wondering if you were going to offer passive 3D glasses in the future

Vizio: One minute please, while I look up the info you are requesting.

Me: Okay

Vizio: The information I have at the moment is active is only active and passive is only passive. I don't know of any plans to inter mingle the options, I'm sorry.

Me: Okay, thanks for your time

Vizio: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat. If you need any assistance in the future, you can contact us again here on chat, or go to www.vizio.com for more contact information. Thanks and have a great day!

who knows....
post #108 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM

For those who have the XVT3D554SV and are running off a cable box connected with HDMI...
Can you please comment if you noticed a video or choppy sound for the first minute or so on cold start, as in first start of the day? My XVT553SV does this and I am considering trading up to this 3D model, but only if Vizio has resolved this quirk. Thanks in advance.
post #109 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

For those who have the XVT3D554SV and are running off a cable box connected with HDMI...
Can you please comment if you noticed a video or choppy sound for the first minute or so on cold start, as in first start of the day? My XVT553SV does this and I am considering trading up to this 3D model, but only if Vizio has resolved this quirk. Thanks in advance.

no problem with Dish Network connected via HDMI, but I'm not sure if that helps you.
post #110 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

I have mine connected to a Comcast Any Room DVR through HDMI, and so far, I've not had any issues at all. However, I've only had my 554SV for two days.
post #111 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 PM

for those who know about these tvs and techies do u guys think it will be possible for this tv to be updated to a passive tv where u can where the glasses u get in the movie theatre say by and update since it says it is RealD 3d and is the ghosting really that bad on this tv how is the 3d on it depating if i should shell out 400 bucks to get the glasses i have two small kids and me and my wife thanks for any help you guys can give me..
post #112 of 1670 Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 PM

o and how do u know when there is a firmware update
post #113 of 1670 Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 AM

It seems there are discreancies in whether the 3d on this set is good or not. I have tge set but dont have it set up yet due to moving. Anyone else have any more views on their experiences with the set? Lastly, does anyone feel weird paying 2000 f a vizio and other big brand sets sont seem that far off in price. Thanks in advance for any helpful insight on this set.
post #114 of 1670 Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

for those who know about these tvs and techies do u guys think it will be possible for this tv to be updated to a passive tv where u can where the glasses u get in the movie theatre say by and update since it says it is RealD 3d and is the ghosting really that bad on this tv how is the 3d on it depating if i should shell out 400 bucks to get the glasses i have two small kids and me and my wife thanks for any help you guys can give me..

dear god, man..... punctuation?

read a few posts up....
post #115 of 1670 Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:

dear god, man..... punctuation?

read a few posts up....

It was late and i was tired
post #116 of 1670 Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 AM

To answer a couple of questions...

No, this TV will NEVER be able to use the passive glasses. It is a completely different technology that can't be added with a firmware update. Passive 3D tv's do the work that the active shutter glasses do...IN the panel covering the screen.

As far as if the 3D is worth it.....

It depends. No, it's not something you will be using 24/7, so the ghosting problem isn't 'ruining' the TV. There is ghosting...pretty bad at times, but it seems that the source can be as much of the problem as the TV. Certain show's and movies tend to have more ghosting than others. If you try to not focus on it, then it shouldn't be much of a bother. Still, I think it's something they need to improve upon. Furthermore, go buy the glasses from Sam's Club....they are only about 140 bucks there. Don't waste money ordering them online.

And for those of you with weird sound issues, especially at cold-start: Try turning off the SRS TruVolume. I have had mine turned off since the second day of having it....it acts to funky to me.
post #117 of 1670 Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexKILLER View Post

To answer a couple of questions...

No, this TV will NEVER be able to use the passive glasses. It is a completely different technology that can't be added with a firmware update. Passive 3D tv's do the work that the active shutter glasses do...IN the panel covering the screen.

As far as if the 3D is worth it.....

It depends. No, it's not something you will be using 24/7, so the ghosting problem isn't 'ruining' the TV. There is ghosting...pretty bad at times, but it seems that the source can be as much of the problem as the TV. Certain show's and movies tend to have more ghosting than others. If you try to not focus on it, then it shouldn't be much of a bother. Still, I think it's something they need to improve upon. Furthermore, go buy the glasses from Sam's Club....they are only about 140 bucks there. Don't waste money ordering them online.

And for those of you with weird sound issues, especially at cold-start: Try turning off the SRS TruVolume. I have had mine turned off since the second day of having it....it acts to funky to me.

How does the 2d image compare to the LG 55LX9500?
post #118 of 1670 Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN View Post

How does the 2d image compare to the LG 55LX9500?

dot

any comparisons anywhere?
post #119 of 1670 Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM

K, here's the deal:

I have the XVT3D554SV and the 3D glasses (vizio).

I never use cable and will probably have it disconnected and instead use the TV as an external monitor on a laptop to watch TV online and play games.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting 3D to play off their PC onto the external monitor, and if, in this case, it would be possible to do considering the TV and glasses require an IR signal to work?

Thanks.
post #120 of 1670 Old 01-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz2099 View Post

K, here's the deal:

I have the XVT3D554SV and the 3D glasses (vizio).

I never use cable and will probably have it disconnected and instead use the TV as an external monitor on a laptop to watch TV online and play games.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting 3D to play off their PC onto the external monitor, and if, in this case, it would be possible to do considering the TV and glasses require an IR signal to work?

Thanks.

I don't have any DIRECT experience, however I know not all HDMI ports can pass 3d signals (1.4a specs). Check your laptop's specs. It's really a question for the laptop manufacturer.

As a side note Vudu (available on the VIA bar) will offer 3D movies.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page