Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1672 Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, does this TV suck that bad at processing 3D or does the live football on ESPN 3D on Comcast have major issues? There was vary little that wasn't double imaged. Anything a few feet from the center of the picture was doubled. Crowds in the back where a blur.

Watched some X-Games last night and it wasn't near as bad. Had some doubling here and there, but tonight's college game was unwatchable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1672 Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Liked: 10
Lancer, I'm watching the same Texas/BYU game on ESPN3D through DirecTV right now. They were just talking about how they had 7 3D cameras located throughout the stadium for the broadcast. There are 2 or 3 cameras that exhibit very little to no ghosting. Luckily, the main camera is one of them. When it switches to the camera on the high wire/pole/whatever or the two end-zone cameras, those are horrible.

I wonder what they've got going on where some cameras are almost perfect but others have a lot of ghosting. Is it camera calibration or something?
post #1173 of 1672 Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post
Lancer, I'm watching the same Texas/BYU game on ESPN3D through DirecTV right now. They were just talking about how they had 7 3D cameras located throughout the stadium for the broadcast. There are 2 or 3 cameras that exhibit very little to no ghosting. Luckily, the main camera is one of them. When it switches to the camera on the high wire/pole/whatever or the two end-zone cameras, those are horrible.

I wonder what they've got going on where some cameras are almost perfect but others have a lot of ghosting. Is it camera calibration or something?
I don't know the answer to your question. but, I was watching a game the other day - Thursday night, a live game - and there was ZERO 3D effect. I was starting to wonder if something was wrong with my cable box or TV. But, another 3D channel was working OK. So, I'd say that ESPN isn't high quality and I wouldn't be surprised if cameras needed calibration.
post #1174 of 1672 Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

No update here either, I've had the set since April and mine is "reg"ed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoxl View Post

still no firmware update for my TV. my system info does say "reg:yes" so all is well, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

UPDATE: I had to disable the 300mbps speed on my router. Restricting it to 54mbps wireless G enabled the TV to connect to my router, pull the firmware update (which came quickly after registration), and restart.

NOW, the new firmware allows me to connect at the full 300mbps dual-band speed and it. is. SCREAMING FAST. The network connection is now completely stable and reliable.

I'm now completely happy. The End.

No update here and it seems BJ bought his t.v. and got the firmware update all in the same day... WTF?
post #1175 of 1672 Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM

My picture while watching ESPN sucks. All the other channels look great. Does everyone get the black bars on top and bottom when watching ESPN?
post #1176 of 1672 Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willybguy View Post

No update here and it seems BJ bought his t.v. and got the firmware update all in the same day... WTF?

yes, very frustrating.
post #1177 of 1672 Old 09-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

yes, very frustrating.

Have you de-installed all the Yahoo widgets? That might prevent the set phoning home. Also I assume you have tested your network connection via the setup menu. Just a couple of thoughts....
post #1178 of 1672 Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Have you de-installed all the Yahoo widgets? That might prevent the set phoning home. Also I assume you have tested your network connection via the setup menu. Just a couple of thoughts....

is this just a guess or experience?
post #1179 of 1672 Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
is this just a guess or experience?
I'd say experience. I received the update. Just a couple of things you could test or not.
post #1180 of 1672 Old 09-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Vizio is selling their 3D glasses for $49.99 for two pairs again. Just got their e-mail. Use the code 3DFORALL I've already got 4 pair so I'm not currently interested. Maybe Sam's or Wallyworld has something similar....
Not sure what this was (I'm not on their email list). There's nothing at their website to enter 3DFOR ALL, and the "FIND" entry doesn't do anything. Their website shows something like $125 for a 2-pack, and the single pair shows out-of-stock!

Sam's has had the 2 pack showing for MONTHS at about $25, but also the "Out Of Stock" sign by the ad for the entire time!!! World class stupid. Wally's was out for a looong time, and now shows the 2 pack at about $128!

I'm getting sick of trying to find these things. Unbelievable that they are as hard to find and as expensive as they are. How these prices can bounce around so much is just weird (and incredibly frustrating).

I wasn't in any hurry to get these things, but the squirrelly availability and pricing makes me think I better get some while I still can. I guess I'm just going to have to go to Ebay. I don't have time - or the ability to deal with the frustration - to try to find these stupid things on sale anymore.
post #1181 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 AM

You place the 2pack item in the Vizio shopping cart & enter the coupon code on the shopping cart screen. The offer is still valid the code is 3d4all. Not forall, I just tried it.
post #1182 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

You place the 2pack item in the Vizio shopping cart & enter the coupon code on the shopping cart screen. The offer is still valid the code is 3d4all. Not forall, I just tried it.

I just tried it and the price is $49.00. This time the shipping is only $10.00. Last time it was $20.00. Plus Tax of course.
post #1183 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

My TV just updated to XP2.7.9.1 and the Vizio Logo does not dim, I am comparing it to my other set that hasn't updated.
post #1184 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM

I'm beginning to wonder if the logo brightness in the new firmware is controlled by the ambient light sensor. Pretty sure I noticed over the weekend that it seemed brighter during the day and it's pretty dim right now (night time in a relatively dimly lit room).
post #1185 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:

I'd say experience. I received the update. Just a couple of things you could test or not.

I feel stupid saying so, but I don't even know how to disable them. do I go into each app individually and disable it?
post #1186 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:

I feel stupid saying so, but I don't even know how to disable them. do I go into each app individually and disable it?

No. I'm suggesting that if you disabled them all, it might cause problems. Just leave them as is.
post #1187 of 1672 Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:

No. I'm suggesting that if you disabled them all, it might cause problems. Just leave them as is.

the only thing I haven't done is sign in to yahoo: The one widget tells me I'm just logged on as "guest".
post #1188 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:

the only thing I haven't done is sign in to yahoo: The one widget tells me I'm just logged on as "guest".

Just got my update yesterday. I did nothing with any of the widgets at all - and have only used the Netflix widget a handfull of times.

So - I don't think doing anything with the widgets matter from my experience.

And also - just my input on the logo dimming - it is MUCH brighter now after the update. Before it would dim, now it does not do anything after the TV boots up.

Also, does anyone know (or is there a post in this forum I have missed) that lists all the updates with the new firmware version? i.e. what has changed and what the new settings do?

Thanks!
post #1189 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry View Post

I'm beginning to wonder if the logo brightness in the new firmware is controlled by the ambient light sensor. Pretty sure I noticed over the weekend that it seemed brighter during the day and it's pretty dim right now (night time in a relatively dimly lit room).

I tried turning the Ambient Light Sensor on/off. While the picture brightness changes, I didn't see any difference in the Logo brightness, it remained bright.

However, now after playing with the light sensor and leaving it off the Vizio logo just dimmed by itself. I don't get this. It is definitely dimmed.
post #1190 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I tried turning the Ambient Light Sensor on/off. While the picture brightness changes, I didn't see any difference in the Logo brightness, it remained bright.

However, now after playing with the light sensor and leaving it off the Vizio logo just dimmed by itself. I don't get this. It is definitely dimmed.

Finally rec'd XP2.7.9.1 update - took < 5 minutes to download. After restart Vizio logo was way way brighter. So I did tried same thing as Burner - I played w/ ambient light sensor, scrolled through settings a few times, then switched it back to "off." Not only did the logo properly dim again, I think it's dimmer and less obtrusive then before the update.
post #1191 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Finally rec'd XP2.7.9.1 update - took < 5 minutes to download. After restart Vizio logo was way way brighter. So I did tried same thing as Burner - I played w/ ambient light sensor, scrolled through settings a few times, then switched it back to "off." Not only did the logo properly dim again, I think it's dimmer and less obtrusive then before the update.

Hmmm, could the Bright Logo, be Vizio's way of saying with the update you need to go into setup & update or check your settings or the Vizio apps?
post #1192 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd141 View Post

Just got my update yesterday. I did nothing with any of the widgets at all - and have only used the Netflix widget a handfull of times.

So - I don't think doing anything with the widgets matter from my experience.

And also - just my input on the logo dimming - it is MUCH brighter now after the update. Before it would dim, now it does not do anything after the TV boots up.

Also, does anyone know (or is there a post in this forum I have missed) that lists all the updates with the new firmware version? i.e. what has changed and what the new settings do?

Thanks!

There are previous posts on XP2.7.9.1 FW update; quick feature recap:

- # of widgets more than doubled
- enabling USB ports
- enabling audio return channel (ARC) on HDMI 1
post #1193 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM

The great mystery of The Vizio logo!
We need to assemble a team of world renowned physicists, electrical engineers, and some HEAVY TV watchers, lock them in a bunker deep in the black hills and let them definitively answer this perplexing question once and for all!
We demand an answer based on empirical scientific facts! And we want it NOW!!
post #1194 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 PM

finally got the update!

tv just got don updating widgets.

will go play with it now
post #1195 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 PM

with the update:

I can confirm that 3D over cable is MUCH better. crosstalk was practically nonexistent.

ARC was easy to setup with my onkyo receiver. device discovery picked up my receiver and my blu-ray player.

one problem from this is that now the TV wants to control those other devices and turn them on when it thinks I want them on. any way to get ARC but not have the TV turn on devices?

edit: my logo is no different in terms of brightness. I messed with the ambient light sensor and it didn't change anything anyway. so I'm in the camp that it's no different.
post #1196 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Nice to know that optimizing logo brightness is higher on the engineering priority list compared to other things like DLNA streaming.
post #1197 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 06:50 PM

I received the update this morining which was a pleasant surprise since I only set it up Saturday. I have been watching the logo since I first turned it on and the brightness has not changed since the update. So far I am very pleased with this TV, looiking forward to trying some of the settings I have seen posted here.
post #1198 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:

with the update:

I can confirm that 3D over cable is MUCH better. crosstalk was practically nonexistent.

ARC was easy to setup with my onkyo receiver. device discovery picked up my receiver and my blu-ray player.

one problem from this is that now the TV wants to control those other devices and turn them on when it thinks I want them on. any way to get ARC but not have the TV turn on devices?

edit: my logo is no different in terms of brightness. I messed with the ambient light sensor and it didn't change anything anyway. so I'm in the camp that it's no different.

It's the Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) specification of HDMI that you are referring to re: device control. I think it depends on settings in for your AVR and Blu-Ray player.
post #1199 of 1672 Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Tried it - still works. After tax and shipping (for $10), it's still pushing $65 - a little lower than eBay prices, but not a whole lot less.
post #1200 of 1672 Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:

I tried this as well and while it did work, it has some issues (at least for me):

1) you have to scroll through all of the Ambient Light Sensor(ALS) options for this to work (off-low-middle-high-off)...I experimented a bit and scrolling "off-low-off" for example did not work.

2) I timed the above and it is a very gradual dimming that takes on average 2.75 minutes to fully dim after a scrolling through all ALS options.

3) the worst part about this "fix" is that you have to do this every time you power cycle the tv if you really want the vizio bezel logo to dim. I haven't been able to get it to stick.

Anyway, it's a bit annoying but I'm a little more concerned with the much reported random shut-off problem. I've had the 554 for almost 3 months. I've kept a log and thought I was one of the lucky ones, but I've had 3 random shut-offs in the last 3 weeks. (I've got about a week before I have to decide if this thing goes back to costco!)

I just got the new firmware update last night! Can anyone who's had the shut-off problem before VIZIO_XP2.7.9.1, (and who now has the new fw), give any input as to whether or not the update has any affect on the random shut-offs?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page