Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post

I have mine connected to a Comcast Any Room DVR through HDMI, and so far, I've not had any issues at all. However, I've only had my 554SV for two days.

Just wanting to confirm... So you have Comcast connected with HDMI and when you start the TV the first time of the day, the audio is fine and the picture is not "fuzzy" for a minute or so? If it is not showing these problems, I really need help with mine. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 AM

I got mine from cotsco (after my kid craked my 10 month old sammy 8500 with his wii remote). Was horrifed with the out of the box settings, cnet's 553 settings did not help either. Finally the below worked for me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19799868

Some observations:
Not sure if the blacks as as good as my old sammy, watching Blu ray the top & bottom empty section blacks used to match the bezel in my old samsung while the vizio is bit grey'ish. Also, watching Deception the final titles had bloomings.

At the end I am satisfied now.
post #123 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The CNET settings for the 553 are a little dark since they evaluate using movies. I used their settings exception I set the light sensor to High, since I watch in varying light . Now the screen blacks match the black plastic bezel. Since the set has only been out about two months, I expect to see reviews soon.
post #124 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 PM

I just got the tv and my damn remote won't work. I paired it with the tv but I keep having to re-pair it, I cant get pass the set up stage, I can't input my info because the keyboard is not working i cant turn the tv off with remote what's going on someone please help if have any suggestions its the 3d554sv and I already tried new batteries
post #125 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM

With the Bluetooh you won't have to point it at the screen. The Keyboard is a Bluetooth feature. Make sure you are following the pairing procedure exactly. The IR normal remote features such as volume & channel should still work even if bluetooth isn't paired to the TV. Make sure the TV sensor lower left isn't blocked. Make sure the plastic wrap is off the front of the TV & the remote. Maybe it's as simple as these items. Otherwise call Vizio.
post #126 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM

all that is as is, it works at times but then just stops and i hve to keep doing it over for it to work, and when turning my tv off it cuts back on by itself dont know whats going on with this tv any help with why tv cuts back on by itself or am i going to have to return the tv i really hope not
post #127 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamin View Post

I got mine from cotsco (after my kid craked my 10 month old sammy 8500 with his wii remote). Was horrifed with the out of the box settings, cnet's 553 settings did not help either. Finally the below worked for me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19799868

Some observations:
Not sure if the blacks as as good as my old sammy, watching Blu ray the top & bottom empty section blacks used to match the bezel in my old samsung while the vizio is bit grey'ish. Also, watching Deception the final titles had bloomings.

At the end I am satisfied now.

Check to ensure that Smart Dimming is turned ON, mine came OFF as a default setting. Turning it ON made the blacks very dark. I was surprised that it was defaulted OFF since the Smart Dimming is one of the premier features of this TV.
post #128 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

Just wanting to confirm... So you have Comcast connected with HDMI and when you start the TV the first time of the day, the audio is fine and the picture is not "fuzzy" for a minute or so? If it is not showing these problems, I really need help with mine. Thanks...

That's correct. When I first turn it on, I get a "VIA" screen, after about 5 seconds, the picture comes up, and everything looks and sounds great.
post #129 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 PM

can anyone help me with the issue of my tv turning on by itself when i turn it off and my remote not staying paired with the tv i have to re-pair it every 2-3 minutes and unplug my tv to keep it off anyone with knowledge please help
post #130 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Come someone please post how to determine the firmware version on this TV?
post #131 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Come someone please post how to determine the firmware version on this TV?

VIA button
OK
HELP
ok
system info
version VIZIO c3 2.3 RC3 is the latest
post #132 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:

VIA button
OK
HELP
ok
system info

Thanks!

Mine says:

VIZIO_XP1.21.2.1

I've had it since Saturday. I guess it needs to update.
post #133 of 1672 Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurika View Post

Hi, I have a question.
Does the xvt3d4sv series are 1080p/24 compatible ?

I haven't seen this question answered, anywhere on the 'net. I would also like to know if they handle 1080p/24 properly.
post #134 of 1672 Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

VIA button
OK
HELP
ok
system info

Do your USB ports handle media? Do you have Hulu Plus and Blockbuster on VIA? Vizio customer support says those items are in the new firmware release.
post #135 of 1672 Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Do your USB ports handle media? Do you have Hulu Plus and Blockbuster on VIA? Vizio customer support says those items are in the new firmware release.

With the FW update on the 553 it added Hule Plus and Blockbuster. As far as the USB, it will now display Photo and Music but it will not play Video Files. It won't even recognize them. Nor does it have a Video option.

My 37" from last year plays photo, music and video. Although the video is Very Limited to the formats it plays. It plays the sound from many tracks but no video.

I don't know why Vizio dropped the ball on this, other set have had this for a while. But they too have very limited video formats. For video get a media player. I love my PopcornHour, it plays everything including full BluRay ISO files. (c-200)
post #136 of 1672 Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Burnerbum.

Vizio has had two recent firmware updates Nov & Jan, so hopefully they are continuing to fix issues as they arise. Still I wish the end-user could manually download the latest software directly. I don't trust their servers "pushing" software....
post #137 of 1672 Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Yes, to all.
post #138 of 1672 Old 01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes, to all.

Does the 554 handle video?
post #139 of 1672 Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
How do you get it to do a firmware update? Just leave the TV on and hope it does it on its own?

I too have noticed the blooming in 3d around some objects. Its like a glow or double image only on a certain object or part of an object but doesn't happen all the time. Is there a certain color, picture, etc. that works best for 3D? I read and tried the CNET settings, but there was none specifically for 3D.
post #140 of 1672 Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM

I am thinking of picking this TV up but am a bit nervous after reading a few reviewers say the lag in Black Ops was to much to deal with. If someone could reply to this about the response time/lag with video gaming on this set I'd truely appreciate it thanks. (Particularly first person shooters if possible)
post #141 of 1672 Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM

I have this TV with Comcast through HDMI, PS3 through HDMI, and Xbox 360 through Component cables.

I play Call of Duty: Black Ops almost daily (I need a support group) and notice no lag. The TV has both a Game color setting AND a "Game Mode" which I think is Vizio's internal setting to reduce lag.

I honestly didn't notice a difference with Game Mode on or off (it's probably pretty minor), but I leave it on just to be safe. Works flawlessly for gamers.

As an aside, the 2D picture is truly impressive when watching Blu Ray or HDTV. It's just really that good, as you've probably noticed if you've seen the TV at Costco.

3D is good, but not great (ghosting issues as noted with some scenes). Hoping Vizio corrects it or someone identifies a magical setting to get it right.
post #142 of 1672 Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Well, I suppose there is no firmware update for this TV.

I did a chat with Vizio's support:

Conversation
Vizio: Welcome to Vizio Live Chat.
Vizio: All agents are busy assisting other customers. Your chat request will be answered in the order it was received.
Vizio: Your current position in queue is 1.

Vizio: Sara has joined the conversation.

Sara: Thank you for contacting VIZIO, America's Number One Hi-Def TV Company and the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. This is Sara, in South Dakota. My badge # is 387

Sara: I see you haven't contacted us before. What can I assist you with?

ME: Hello. I was curious how to get my xvt3d554sv to check for current firmware updates.

Sara: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class customer support and all of our support is U.S. based, and I can assist you with that.

The 3D TVs do not currently have the firmware update.

ME: Not at all or just none currently available?

Sara: It is currently not being released to them. Possibly in the future.

ME: Ok. But no idea when in the future?

Sara: Not at this time.

ME: ok. Thank you.
post #143 of 1672 Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM

I wonder if the version number that some have posted here (VIZIO c3 2.3 RC3) is a beta version... RC could mean Release Candidate, a test version. Maybe they only released it to some, and will do a final release soon to everyone???
post #144 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous_pb View Post

How do you get it to do a firmware update? Just leave the TV on and hope it does it on its own?

I too have noticed the blooming in 3d around some objects. Its like a glow or double image only on a certain object or part of an object but doesn't happen all the time. Is there a certain color, picture, etc. that works best for 3D? I read and tried the CNET settings, but there was none specifically for 3D.

I noticed the "Cool" temp setting helped with ghosting a little...did not solve it but made it better. I also tried tweaking the brightness and a few other settings without much luck. Fingers crossed for a firmware update! Come on, Vizio!

Maybe I'll chat with their customer service agents and see if they have any suggestions. Hope springs eternal...
post #145 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 AM

FYI: I was having a problem getting Audio Return Channel to work and was told by tech support an update is coming out in the next two weeks. It gets automatically pushed.

-Keith
post #146 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the version number that some have posted here (VIZIO c3 2.3 RC3) is a beta version... RC could mean Release Candidate, a test version. Maybe they only released it to some, and will do a final release soon to everyone???

I'm thinking its probably an XVT553 firmware update since it is a similar TV at least in VIA terms. Some of those 553 owners also check this topic.
post #147 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM

I am now convinced that it is not a blooming problem with 3d but something within the 3d viewing itself. What I thought was blooming was actually seeing double images. When viewing 3d, on some objects, lets say a stick from a tree, would have a vague double image of it to the left and to the right. If I cover one of my eyes, I only see the stick and the double image of the stick to the left. If I open that eye and close the other, I see the stick and the double image of the stick to the right. Both eyes open - then its back to the stick and a double image of it to the right of it and another to the left.

Is this normal?

It doesn't do it to every object on the screen. Just maybe one or so at a time. Sometimes for a few seconds, everything would be perfect and there are no double images.

Any ideas? Or is this what all 3d TVs do?
post #148 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:

I am now convinced that it is not a blooming problem with 3d but something within the 3d viewing itself. What I thought was blooming was actually seeing double images. When viewing 3d, on some objects, lets say a stick from a tree, would have a vague double image of it to the left and to the right. If I cover one of my eyes, I only see the stick and the double image of the stick to the left. If I open that eye and close the other, I see the stick and the double image of the stick to the right. Both eyes open - then its back to the stick and a double image of it to the right of it and another to the left.

Is this normal?

It doesn't do it to every object on the screen. Just maybe one or so at a time. Sometimes for a few seconds, everything would be perfect and there are no double images.

To me, 3D in a theater, even IMAX, does this. I see double images on the 3D stuff that appears real close. On things that appear a normal distance or farther, the image is clear. I think it is a limitation of current 3D technology and how our brains handle depth perception.
post #149 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:

To me, 3D in a theater, even IMAX, does this. I see double images on the 3D stuff that appears real close. On things that appear a normal distance or farther, the image is clear. I think it is a limitation of current 3D technology and how our brains handle depth perception.

So then is this what is called "Crosstalk" that I hear about?
post #150 of 1672 Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 273
Quote:

Is this normal?

This is the phenomenon known as 'crosstalk'. Unfortunately it's a side effect of the display technology. LCD displays tend to have more problems with crosstalk than some other tech displays. Supposedly, DLP has very little (eg. Mitsu 3D RPTVs) and plasma (Panny VT25) also has significantly less crosstalk. I can confirm that the Panny shows hardly any crosstalk, but haven't seen a Mitsu 3D TV.

The reason crosstalk happens has to do with the image refresh rate and how quickly the images are erased from the display. There is an inherent delay in how quickly a displayed image fades out. The faster this happens, the less crosstalk is visible. With LCD technology, although they've made significant strides in reducing this delay (called the on-off response), it is still several times longer than with the other technologies.

With the shutter glass 3D, basically, the TV is alternately displaying the right and left eye images, while simultaneously blocking the image to the opposite eye with the shutter glasses. So the TV brings up the right eye image, the shutter glass blocks your left eye from seeing it, then the TV flashes the left eye image and the shutter glasses simultaneously switch to open the left eye while blocking the right eye, so you alternately see right followed by left eye images and your brain puts the images together to form the stereoscopic illusion.

If however, the right eye image has not completely faded out by the time the left eye image is displayed and the glasses open the left eye lens, you see the remnant of the right eye image as a ghostly outline. To achieve the stereoscopic effect, the left and right eye images are slightly displaced relative to each other (parallax), which is why when you close one eye, the ghostly outline is on one side of the stable image and if you switch and close the opposite eye, the ghostly outline is on the other side. With both eye open, you see the outline on both sides.

The absolute clearest 3D presentation I've seen thus far was years ago at Universal Studios in Florida. At the time, I believe they were still using what I call 2nd generation 3D movie technology (1st generation = anaglyph/red-blue glasses, 2nd gen = one vertically polarized, one horizontally polarized lens, 3rd gen = circular polarization, clockwise and counterclockwise, 4th gen = LCD shutter glasses, 5th gen = autostereoscopic, no glasses required).

With the Universal Studios presentation, the 3D was incredibly crisp and clear as long as you kept your head perfectly level. Tilting your head left or right resulted in seeing double images, but if you kept your head straight, there was one scene in particular where a CGI cartoon character flies around and then appears to stop about arms length from you and then proceeds to extend its nose at you. The image is so clear, your eyes are telling you that it is a real object, floating in mid-air within grasp, and its nose is 6 inches from your face. I found it particularly amusing that when this scene occurred, EVERYONE in the theater (me included) reached out and started grasping at thin air trying to touch the cartoon character that your eyes swore was right in front of you. There was no crosstalk in ANY part of the presentation. In contrast, the other 3D presentation I watched on that trip (this was back in '94), Michael Jackson's Moonwalker was a horrible mess of crosstalk and doubled images.

It's pretty sad that I could see crosstalk on a couple of scenes in Avatar 3D (I watched it twice, in both Imax 3D and RealD 3D), considering there was a pristine 3D presentation 16 years ago. In Avatar's case, I believe the crosstalk might have had something to do with the RealD polarizer going out of sync for a brief period.

Theater RealD 3D is achieved by placing a circular polarizer in front of a digital projector. The projector shows 144 frames per second and alternates between left eye and right eye images with the RealD polarizer switching between clockwise and counterclockwise polarization between each frame. The image is reflected of a silver screen (which retains the direction of the polarization) and the viewers wear circularly polarized glasses where one lens is polarized clockwise and the other is counterclockwise. If the polarizer lens in front of the projector loses sync for some reason, then it's possible for it to not cut out the images meant for only one eye.

BTW, AFAIK, for the folks who were wondering, the RealD capability of the 554 is not of the circularly polarized variety. I believe it just refers to the RealD side-by-side encoding format, which means it won't work with passive glasses.

Max
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page