Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 1672 Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Can your laptop graphics card drive a 55" monitor at 1920x1080? And if so, have you verified that the output signal from the laptop matches one of those recommended by Vizio in the TV's manual? The TV may have very specific requirements for displaying a signal from a PC via HDMI as opposed to VGA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1672 Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure how to check your second question, but the Laptop appears to be able to support 1920x1080, that is one of the options to select when adjusting the resolution for the secondary (tv) monitor.
post #1653 of 1672 Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Check your video card's settings and try each of the output options for 1920x1080 (24Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, etc.). One of those may work with the TV.
post #1654 of 1672 Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My HP Laptop has the ATI video and when I use it I have to go in and enable it in the video setting. I select Clone so it displays the same on both the Laptop and TV.

You could also try rebooting your Laptop while it's connected to the TV and see if it will automatically enable it. If the resolution is wrong you will get "Invalid Format" on the TV screen. No Signal usually means it's not enabled.
post #1655 of 1672 Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 AM

This may be stating the obvious, but many laptops use a key combination like an Fn key and a function key like F8 to cycle the video output from laptop panel to video output to both with sequential key presses. I know this is frequently done with the external VGA output. I haven't had a chance to work with a laptop with HDMI so I don't know it that output works the same but it might be worth checking. Maybe the laptop is in panel only mode.
post #1656 of 1672 Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see both the Sam and Cost Warehouse stores have the VIZIO S4251w 5.1 soundbar on sale for Black Friday at $199. I'd like to replace my 5.1 home theater setup with a less confusing one for my wife....

My questions are does anyone have experience using this soundbar with our Vizio model? Will our set pass 5.1 Dolby thru the optical cable? How does it work with a DISH network remote? Obviously how is the sound vs a real amp? Can you shut off the sub woofer for late night use? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the sound bar. Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif
post #1657 of 1672 Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Ok, so the last few days my picture has been going black for 1-2 seconds at a time. I thought it was something to do with my playstation but today it happened while I was just watching tv. Any ideas?
post #1658 of 1672 Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 AM

It seems to only happen when I'm using picture in picture.
post #1659 of 1672 Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelsbigc View Post

Ok, so the last few days my picture has been going black for 1-2 seconds at a time. I thought it was something to do with my playstation but today it happened while I was just watching tv. Any ideas?
This happens if you have Game Mode turned on. Double check your settings.
heelsbigc likes this.
post #1660 of 1672 Old 11-29-2013, 09:47 AM

Game mode was turned on. Thanks man!
post #1661 of 1672 Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I see both the Sam and Cost Warehouse stores have the VIZIO S4251w 5.1 soundbar on sale for Black Friday at $199. I'd like to replace my 5.1 home theater setup with a less confusing one for my wife....

My questions are does anyone have experience using this soundbar with our Vizio model? Will our set pass 5.1 Dolby thru the optical cable? How does it work with a DISH network remote? Obviously how is the sound vs a real amp? Can you shut off the sub woofer for late night use? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the sound bar. Thanks in advance. biggrin.gif

Well I bought the Vizio 5.1, and now I'm returning it. Good sound, but only has two digital inputs (a TOSlink & Coax). If those two connectors will meet your 5.1 input needs its a winner. HOWEVER, 99.9 % of TVs DOWN CONVERT HDMI 5.1 audio to 2 channel for their digital output so you can't use the XVT3D has an HDMI switcher into the soundbar and get 5.1 sound from your Bluray, DVR or Roku etc. The only way you get 5.1 sound out of a modern TV's digital connector is if the 5.1 sound is generated in the TV itself (an Over the Air 5.1 signal or a 5.1 internal widget). Maybe in the future I can get rid of my AVR 5.1 system. I hope my experience is useful.
post #1662 of 1672 Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Been experiencing an exciting new glitch with my TV.

All of a sudden, without nary a warning of any perceptible event, the TV picture disappears and I'm looking at a grey screen. Happened about 3 times in last 2 weeks. No matter what I do, it shows nothing from any source. Not even it's own onscreen menu. Nada, Nein, Bupkis! Only a shutdown and restart fixes it. Damn, Damn!

I've already had both boards replaced within 2 years. WTF????

The picture is great when this thing works, but at least for me it's been way too much failure. This sucks big time. Never will i buy another Vizio.

Or is it just me living under a star crossed cloud of bad luck?

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #1663 of 1672 Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 AM

I'd say it is bad luck, mine has been problem free. Having to repair a device early in its life cycle indicates either a poorly assembled or poorly designed model and usually doesn't end well. I can understand your frustration about buying Vizio again. On the bright side, with 2014 models arriving in March and pre Super Bowl sales you should be able to find a nice replacement at a reasonable price. Hope things turn out ok.
post #1664 of 1672 Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry you have been having problems. In today's world I expect electronics not to break for a very long time. Mine has been flawless as well. Amazing picture. But, it does not get heavy use and I have never connected it to the internet.

Fred
post #1665 of 1672 Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine stayed with me for about six months, then I just got fed up with the horrible crosstalk and sold it to a guy who had no interest in 3D. I just found out recently that the dude had a major fight with his girlfriend, and she poured a can of soda down the back of it...exactly one week after he bought it from me. eek.gif
post #1666 of 1672 Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 AM

Wow. What aTV.

Back working fine as aged wine again.

Vizio-oh-oh!

post #1667 of 1672 Old 05-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Well, mine just fizzled out. Was watching a movie and the screen started turning white grey with bars interspersed. Turned it off, left it alone for a couple hours. Went to turn it back on and it worked fine, for about 5 minutes, then the screen went all distorted again for awhile, then died completely. The TV is only about 3 years old. No warranty so I guess I'm screwed. Loved it while it worked. I'm very disappointed, it was my baby. I was a big fan of Vizio until this, have two other older Vizio's with no problems, but of course the big expensive one dies. mad.gif

Anyone know what the problem could be? If I had it repaired how much do you guys estimate it would cost? I took off the back cover and didn't notice any obvious signs of circuit board failure. I'm probably going to try to replace one of the boards if that is the problem, if I can get a good lead on which one would be the culprit. Might as well try.

post #1668 of 1672 Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1203 View Post

Well, mine just fizzled out. Was watching a movie and the screen started turning white grey with bars interspersed. Turned it off, left it alone for a couple hours. Went to turn it back on and it worked fine, for about 5 minutes, then the screen went all distorted again for awhile, then died completely. The TV is only about 3 years old. No warranty so I guess I'm screwed. Loved it while it worked. I'm very disappointed, it was my baby. I was a big fan of Vizio until this, have two other older Vizio's with no problems, but of course the big expensive one dies. mad.gif

Anyone know what the problem could be? If I had it repaired how much do you guys estimate it would cost? I took off the back cover and didn't notice any obvious signs of circuit board failure. I'm probably going to try to replace one of the boards if that is the problem, if I can get a good lead on which one would be the culprit. Might as well try.
You might try calling Vizio support. It might be a software issue that can be addressed via the USB port. I'm guessing you have nothing to lose. If you find a solution, please post.
post #1669 of 1672 Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 AM

Damn, Damn. That is some messed up psycho pattern. That sucks, brother.

There's 2 boards in there that do the processing. I had both replaced before the end of the 2nd year due to choppy video.

I lucked out and didn't pay because the credit card I bought it on gave me an extra year of warranty coverage. Many do the same thing.

I remember looking at what they charged the credit card company, and it wasn't that awful. It's worth getting an estimate without question.

Good Luck

post #1670 of 1672 Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1203 View Post
Well, mine just fizzled out... I'm probably going to try to replace one of the boards if that is the problem, if I can get a good lead on which one would be the culprit. Might as well try.
Hey Alex, did you get it fixed?

Last edited by naustin; 07-27-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: sp
post #1671 of 1672 Old 08-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Hey Alex, did you get it fixed?
Not yet. I've been busy and poor so far this summer. I thought I had found the problem with one of the cables not seated tightly to the tcon board, so I clamped it down and ran the TV. It worked through one full movie, but then the problem happened again during the a second movie. I was so sure that I had found the problem that when it still wasn't working it kind of took the wind out of my sails, so to speak.

I did finally find a replacement tcon board through sears and ordered it. When it arrives I'm going to try to replace the old board and see what happens. Ill report if it works after the procedure.
post #1672 of 1672 Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1203 View Post
Not yet. I've been busy and poor so far this summer. I thought I had found the problem with one of the cables not seated tightly to the tcon board, so I clamped it down and ran the TV. It worked through one full movie, but then the problem happened again during the a second movie. I was so sure that I had found the problem that when it still wasn't working it kind of took the wind out of my sails, so to speak.

I did finally find a replacement tcon board through sears and ordered it. When it arrives I'm going to try to replace the old board and see what happens. Ill report if it works after the procedure.
Your original picture looked like you were viewing a PC image on the TV. If that is the case, video cards can have problems with TVs. Have you tried a different HDMI cable into a different TV port? Just an idea.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page