AVS Forum banner
308K views 2K replies 237 participants last post by  F34R 
#1 ·
Any comments on the just released VIZIO XVT3D554SV ? Any reviews out there yet?

In stock from Vizio.com, but backordered from amazon.com.

I want to order one, but want to hear some reviews & comments first.

Thx

#1,382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/21473937

thanks for the info

I asked vizio support chat just a couple hours ago and they said they would keep producing the 554 but who knows if they really know.

sams club and walmart are all out of them but they can be found other places.

Well, Vizio's website no longer shows the 554, or the 553, for that matter. It would appear, from comments and observation, that they kept producing the 553 after stopping production of the 554, but are now moving on.

I saw the 553 still on sale at Sam's last month; no 554. I don't know of anyone who has indicated that 554s are still available anywhere.

#1,383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/21473549

I am thinking of buying XVT3D554SV

I was told by Vizio that 3D ghosting issues were fixed with firmware update

Is this correct ?

Do glossy screen reflections just occur with direct sunlight or are there other light sources that can create reflections. I rarely use lights in living room. I just want to make sure I understand it better.

Anything else I should know

Along with others, I'd sure be interested in having some confirmation that 3D ghosting issues were fixed with a firmware update.

Glossy screen reflections are a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned. The screen isn't really glossy, to begin with, and it isn't as reflective as many other manufacturers' TVs. You can see room lights on the screen if everything's lined up and if you concentrate on it, but under normal viewing conditions you don't notice.

Nothing else you need to know about the set, really. Of course, there are many other choices out there now which are impressive, with any number of great sets available. The 554 is a 2010 model, of course. That said, the 553 and 554 really took the market by storm, and still have to be considered top-flight sets.

#1,384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/21473549

Is this correct ?

Do glossy screen reflections just occur with direct sunlight or are there other light sources that can create reflections. I rarely use lights in living room. I just want to make sure I understand it better.

I see a mild improvement..

#1,385 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ /forum/post/21474417

I see a mild improvement..

How could you tell?

By "mild," does that mean ghosting is still a significant issue?

I'm certainly not an expert, but I wonder how much a "firmware" update can improve 3D performance in a TV. Maybe "mild" is the extent of improvement possible. Obviously, performance is also dependent on hardware design, which can't be updated.

#1,386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/21473937

thanks for the info

I asked vizio support chat just a couple hours ago and they said they would keep producing the 554 but who knows if they really know.

sams club and walmart are all out of them but they can be found other places. i'd rather get it at sams club or even walmart.

i'd would like them to add google tv / marvell 1500 on the xvt3d554sv for convenience but i will just get android tv media box

anybody else know if 3d ghosting fixed with firmware update

Ghosting is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I never found ghosting to an issue in the year I've owned the set. Others will say ghosting is STILL AWFUL. Most magazines will tell you ghosting is almost eliminated if you go to a passive 3D set rather than the active shutter glasses brands like the XVT Vizio , the Sony's & the Samsung's I suggest viewing a few models & determining your feelings as to what constitutes ghosting for you

#1,387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/0

Is this correct ?

With my old 554 and the replaced one, both had/have the new firmware and I saw NO IMPROVEMENT to the 3d whatsoever. 3d is still pretty bad.

#1,388 ·
This 3D is a complicated issue.

The best 3D out there seems to be LG-55LW6500 and it is passive but unfortunately it is edge lit. Damn!!!

I was hoping Vizio would upgrade to passive 3D but alas we have the cinema screens which are bad for general tv viewing.

no TV really hit a home run in all the attributes. i thought this would be the year.

#1,389 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/21476726

The best 3D out there seems to be LG-55LW6500 and it is passive but unfortunately it is edge lit. Damn!!!

I was hoping Vizio would upgrade to passive 3D but alas we have the cinema screens which are bad for general tv viewing.

no TV really hit a home run in all the attributes. i thought this would be the year.

LG has a back lit model with passive 3D 55LW9800 introduced in 2011 but it had blooming issues. LG is supposedly introducing an upgraded version for this year. Whether Visio will also sell this panel, its hard to say. If 3D is really important to you, I'd strongly suggest a passive set. Yeah, the image may not be full 1080p but ghosting will be less, the glasses are cheap and not bulky/heavy. IMHO

#1,390 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris /forum/post/21476726

That's for sure, and it has been for manufacturers, too. According to everything I've read, consumers haven't embraced 3D - it hasn't caught on the way manufacturers hoped.

It may catch on a bit more as content increases. However, as many interesting articles have discussed, it's uncomfortable to watch for many folks due to human brain physiology, and that can't be changed.

The elephant in the room is still 2D picture quality, and it seems the future is pointed at things like super-high resolution screens and OLED panels, and not 3D so much.

#1,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large /forum/post/21484316

Just saw CNET's Best of Show announcements for the 2012 CES in Vegas that just concluded. In TVs, it's the LG55EM9600 OLED TV, the first commercially available OLED set.

OLED is the Next Big Thing in HD TVs.

3D (ho hum) got leapfrogged over.

3D is just a feature, like internet connections, on-screen apps, fast refresh rates/hz, light sensors and smart dimming. All the better TVs have these things....

#1,395 ·
A reporter's view from the CES show:

OLEDs

The most beautiful sets at CES are OLEDs: Organic Light Emitting Diodes. They have much higher contrast than current LED sets; light can be turned off on a per pixel basis. Dark scenes offer the blackest of blacks rich deep colors without the blooming of light that affects other LCD and LED TVs.

OLEDs are super thin: 3/16ths of an inch. Some are so thin that the power ports and connectors need to be housed in the stands, not on the set itself. OLEDs use half the power of current HDTVs and some sets will consume less energy than a 50-watt bulb. And finally the dreaded motion blur of LED and LCDs (when sports and fast action appear blocky) almost completely disappears with OLEDs.

I've seen small 12 and 20-inch prototype OLEDs in past years at CES, but never a true big screen option that is in production and planned for release. This year is different: LG has a 55-inch OLED on display, and Samsung is rumored to have another OLED debuting this week. The prices on these sets will be ridiculous $8,000-10,000 but predictions from analysts say that by the end of 2013, they'll be more like $4000. Availability is still a little unclear, although rumors of late 2012 offerings are in the air.

4K and 8K Resolution

Another trend at CES: higher resolution TVs than ever. 4K and 8K respectively double and quadruple the resolution of the highest high definition sets on the market. Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, and most other TV manufacturers are going for this crisper, more vivid resolution as an incentive to get consumers to trade in their old TV sets. But this technology is still a ways from every day reality, and CES may prove a litmus test on whether attendees think the 4K sets are that much more visually compelling. An even greater inhibitor to widespread 4K/8K TVs any time soon is that they will mandate all new source video and new cameras and infrastructure from TV networks and production companies. Today, very little content is produced at such high resolution.

3D Is Dead Long Live 3D!

In the early press releases from manufacturers, there has been very little mention of 3D. It seems they now understand that most consumers aren't willing to pay much more for a TV with 3D. It's being seen as less of a feature, more of a gimmick. That being said, there is early buzz around Toshiba, who is saying that they will have a glasses-free, big-screen 3DTV available for sale within the year, according to CNET news. This is a big departure from other manufacturers like Samsung, which has managed expectations, saying they don't expect to have glasses-free technology ready for market within 10 years.

#1,396 ·
>most consumers aren't willing to pay much more for a TV with 3D

this is absurd statement

there is only a very small pittance of cost for the manufacturers to add 3D.

it will be the same for internet TV ... something like $25

these options will eventually be on all TVs irregardless of price

if someone pays $1800 for 2D TV in 2010, it would not make any sense for that person to run out and get another 3D TV for another $1500+. if you buy low end TV for $400 and the 2 pair of glasses cost $200, it makes no sense.

i decided to wait to buy a premium TV until the technology and features mature a little more. I didn't see any with all the features and quality I want and also had 60 inch screen. i may have to wait till next year. waiting also lowers the cost that i will have to pay.

i just bought a westinghouse 46" LD-4655VX for $550. It is a 2D that has as good picture quality as higher cost sets. I can easily upgrade to latest technology later on without taking a big financial hit.

i do want 3d but it is better to wait till 3d matures a little more across many tv's.

#1,397 ·

prioris;21490541waiting also lowers the cost that i will have to pay. i just bought a westinghouse 46" LD-4655VX for $550. It is a 2D that has as good picture quality as higher cost sets. .[/QUOTE said:
Well, according to all reviews, it doesn't have as good picture quality as higher cost sets. Regardless, the problem with the waiting philosophy is that the waiting may never stop. Almost all things like this always get better the longer you wait. Next year's model is almost always better than last year's. So when does the waiting stop?

The problem with waiting, is that you deny yourself the time you could have had enjoying an item, by thinking it will get better later and therefore you're going to just wait. That time will be forever gone. The longer you live, the more you become aware that there are good reasons not to wait for things.

As far as lowering the cost, maybe, maybe not. Often the latest technology costs more. Also, most of the companies now selling tvs are losing money doing it. It's doubtful that will continue indefinitely.

#1,399 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin /forum/post/21499368

In three years, we may be able to an OLED for 3 thousand if we are lucky.

Hopefully in 5 years they only cost 1,500-2,000
One can dream right? I want one sooo bad but 3 or 4 years is a looong ways off, I want one now and for around 2 grand! I don't need a monster set either, a 42" or 46" would be more than enough

#1,402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ /forum/post/21499647

Besides being overpriced I heard OLED sets suffer from burn in.......

Actually it is burn-out. The blue cell wears out quickly because of the color's high temperature. At least it did in past prototypes. Hopefully in about 3 more years the technology will be fully baked.

#1,404 ·
OLED is fine, but at this point I'm not looking downstream. I've only had my 554 for a year, and before that had a Sony CRT 32" set, so I'm still in "wow, what improvement" land. There'll always be something new and probably better around the corner in the tech world, but right now I'm enjoying what I have.

#1,405 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large /forum/post/21504468

OLED is fine, but at this point I'm not looking downstream. I've only had my 554 for a year, and before that had a Sony CRT 32" set, so I'm still in "wow, what improvement" land. There'll always be something new and probably better around the corner in the tech world, but right now I'm enjoying what I have.

+1 well said.

#1,406 ·
Can someone please please help me I bought this tv Jan 2 of last year and all of a sudden Jan 22 my tv goes out I did the unplug thing but what happens is when I plug it up it goes through it reset phase then vizio sign goes orange. After that I try and turn the tv and the on vizio sign goes white like its coming on But doesn't. Then it starts blinking again no pic nothing goes through the cycle then back to white vizio logo then goes through cycle again blinking never coming on anyone with knowledge of problem please help.

Also I called vizio they said couldn't get new tv replaced no extended warranty asked if I could get one then cause they didn't offer me one all she said was she would send someone out to replace parts the board or something nut if that doesn't I'm **** out of luck does anyone have any suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.