Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked one up on sale yesterday at BJ's warehouse on sale. I had gotten a 47" xvt previously and loved it except I wanted the larger one (the xvt533sv) but they have stopped stocking them so I picked up the 55" 3d model. One obvious difference is the glossy screen and since my tv faces two large windows I was concerned about glare.

Right out of the box the picture was horrible--I was sure I was going to return the TV. But after I turned off the automatic backlight and ambient light sensors and tweaked the color settings the picture was brilliant. The clarity is unmatched and the colors are almost too vibrant. After about two hours of tuning the various setting modes I found the picture quality to be excellent although some non-HD programming looks much worse than it did on the smaller screen.

I haven't gotten the 3D glasses as I have little interest in 3D and from what I've read here 3D quality isn't all it could be yet. Aside from that there isn't that much 3D content of interest to me, but eventually I'd like to see football games in 3D when it becomes available.

Although I have an HTPC connected to the TV I found that the built-in web apps are interesting and work well. I haven't had any problem with the wireless connection or anything else, for that matter. The windows screens and text look fine with the HTPC Plugged into the HDMI3 port and set at 1920x1080 so that was a relief. The remote is good although I'd have preferred to see numbers on the keyboard as well as the top of the remote and it is lacking an "@" sign on the keyboard.

But I'm very satisfied with it and plan on keeping it now that the picture is up to par.

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool1075 View Post
Good for you.

Do you use the wireless network connection? If so, do you use G or N protocol?

From what I can tell, it is not possible to turn off the connection. I just "deleted" all of the VIA apps, because I don't use them and I don't want them interfering with the operation of the set. I would like to disable the internet connection as well. I will re-enable it when I hear there is a new firmware update.

I just want to turn off the damn wireless card but I don't see an option...
I'm using the wireless N protocol. I'd recommend you stay with N because it supports higher speeds & has a longer wireless range which should help with the data hiccups some such as your self experience with VIA freezing or not loading well. You should be able to "reset" the TV to factory default which will delete your network settings & disable the network connection. I assume you have seen the random reboot thread on the 553, that mentioned some had loose power cords causing problems.

According to the latest Comsumer Reports reader survey, Vizio is one of the more reliable brands. Hope this helps.
post #213 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Can those who have the XVT3D554SV please post their firmware version? I want to know if anyone has the RC3 firmware, or if they are all the XP1.21.2.1.
post #214 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by caaron View Post
it is lacking an "@" sign on the keyboard.

Chuck
Mine has one, right next to the shift/caps key on the bottom right side of the keypad.

Numbers as well on the top row when used with the shift key.
post #215 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
s

Cheap power supplies?

I'm almost surprised at myself for purchasing one of these....
No, Samsung has cheap power supplies.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #216 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quick question do you have to use the official(vizio made) 3d glasses or is there a alternative?
post #217 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post

Can those who have the XVT3D554SV please post their firmware version? I want to know if anyone has the RC3 firmware, or if they are all the XP1.21.2.1.

I picked up the 47" version today and have the same firmware as you.

*NOTE: I had the XVT423SV for almost 3 months and started noticing blooming on certain video games and movies so returned it tonight to Sams and was planning on getting a plasma. I read elsewhere these newer 3D models had less blooming(don't know if that's true) and maybe I had a buggy 423SV but this new 47" is better in every way! Widgets don't hesitate at all, no blooming, no shutting off randomly..not yet anyways(crossing fingers).

So if you read this and tried previous Vizio LED's and were turned off for some reason, give these newer models a try, you may just walk away with a smile on your face
post #218 of 1670 Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post

Quick question do you have to use the official(vizio made) 3d glasses or is there a alternative?

Can Anyone answer?
post #219 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:

Can Anyone answer?

You have to use the Vizio glasses with the XVT3D554SV. Active shutter 3D glasses are all brand-specific.
post #220 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I'm using the wireless N protocol. I'd recommend you stay with N because it supports higher speeds & has a longer wireless range which should help with the data hiccups some such as your self experience with VIA freezing or not loading well. You should be able to "reset" the TV to factory default which will delete your network settings & disable the network connection. I assume you have seen the random reboot thread on the 553, that mentioned some had loose power cords causing problems.

According to the latest Comsumer Reports reader survey, Vizio is one of the more reliable brands. Hope this helps.

yeah, I know N supports higher speeds - I was just trying to diagnose my problems one at a time.

new problem that manifested recently:

sometimes when the signal input changes modes (i.e. 1080p to 720p when you start a game on the playstation, etc) instead of switching modes, the TV will display "no signal" and even switching to other inputs will not alleviate the problem. you have to turn off the TV and turn it back on, then everything is fine.

this software is buggy as hell. this TV needs a firmware update BIG TIME.

I'm pretty much convinced it's a software problem, not hardware. To recap, the problems I have had so far with this set:

1. With "game mode" enabled, random screen flashing (but no audio loss) when playing god of war III on playstation

2. Random power-offs of television with both input sources (Dish Network and PS3)

3. Loss of input signals when switching display modes

I am going to do a factory reset and not even connect it to the wireless..... I have no reason to connect this TV to the internet, until there is a damn firmware update, unfortunately.

The really sad thing about all of this, is the TV has a great picture - and the technical support people at Vizio are either morons, or are not familiar with their own products, or both. It's looking like both.
post #221 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM

I agree there is a potential "sync" issue with the 554. I do all my HDMI routing thru a Onkyo video receiver, so I only have a single HDMI connected to the TV. On a couple of occasions (out of about 200 uses) after power up I have seen sync problems. These manifest themselves a black screen of about a second every 30 seconds. My fix is to reboot (turn off then on) the TV. I have never had to reset the TV. I've learned to power on the TV last after I power on other devices.
post #222 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:

The really sad thing about all of this, is the TV has a great picture - and the technical support people at Vizio are either morons, or are not familiar with their own products, or both. It's looking like both.

+ one on that
post #223 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

You have to use the Vizio glasses with the XVT3D554SV. Active shutter 3D glasses are all brand-specific.

I was wondering because of the xpand univ x103 3d glasses and the nxg tech nx-3d glasses.
post #224 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I was wondering because of the xpand univ x103 3d glasses and the nxg tech nx-3d glasses.

I hadn't seen those before. According to their website, it doesn't look like they work with Vizio TV's:

"The glasses work with the following TV brands: LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sony, Sharp and Toshiba.
A complete list of compatible TV models is available at: www.XPANDcinema.com/3dtv."

Also, Vizio's glasses are alot less expensive.
post #225 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

To recap, the problems I have had so far with this set:

1. With "game mode" enabled, random screen flashing (but no audio loss) when playing god of war III on playstation

Yesterday, I was playing with the "game mode" setting to see what it did, and I left it on as I watched TV through my Comcast HD DVR box, connected by HDMI. The TV started to flash as you described. The screen would just go black for a split-second, with no audio loss, at random intervals. I was very concerned because I have had no issues at all with this set before. I realized that "game mode" was on, and switched it off. The screen blanking stopped immediately. I don't know what "game mode" does, but it seems to cause some kind of synch issue with the cable box that causes the screen to blank. I don't really care, since I see no benefit with the "game mode" enabled, even when playing PS3 games. I was relieved that there was no other issue causing the screen flashing.
post #226 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Quick question for you guys. I purchased the 47" version of this model and I have DirecTV along with the n3D and ESPN3D channels. When trying to view them and turning on 3D mode when prompted by the TV set, my DirecTV receiver tells me those channels broadcast in 720p and that my TV does not support that resolution, so it cannot play back the content. Something about having to play back 3D content at it's native resolution, otherwise it won't work.

I have the HR21 (I believe, it's the last gen HD/DVR box) and I tried to go into the settings to manually turn off 480p, 1080i, and 1080p so that it would be forced to output 720p, but the TV is still showing at 1080i somehow.

How can I force the TV into 720p so I can watch ESPN3D? I was able to get one show on n3D to show properly earlier today when I first turned on the TV, but didn't have the glasses charged yet, so I didn't bother staying on the channel for more than a couple of seconds. However, now both stations tell me I need 720p and they won't show.

Any ideas? Surely there's something I'm doing wrong or can do in order to watch those stations.
post #227 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
ESPN-3D is broadcast in 720p SbS(Side by Side)format on DirecTV and N3D is froadcast in 1080i #bS You may need a later model of DirecTV tuner, contact them and ask if your HD21 supports 3D?
post #228 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

I agree there is a potential "sync" issue with the 554. I do all my HDMI routing thru a Onkyo video receiver, so I only have a single HDMI connected to the TV. On a couple of occasions (out of about 200 uses) after power up I have seen sync problems. These manifest themselves a black screen of about a second every 30 seconds. My fix is to reboot (turn off then on) the TV. I have never had to reset the TV. I've learned to power on the TV last after I power on other devices.

That's interesting.

On a somewhat related note - not really a problem, but:

I use a Logitech Harmony remote that was setup for my previous TV - so I simply changed the device to control the Vizio TV, and added that to my "activities" which are watching Dish and watching/playing PS3. When turning on an activity (from an "everything off" state) everything turns on as it should, but if the TV didn't have the input selected correctly before it was last turned off, I have to manually change to the input. This is because the Vizio takes forever to turn on and "boot" (initialize), and the harmony remote has stopped sending the command to change input by the time the TV is ready. I think I can adjust the delay on the remote of when it send the "change input command" but it's not that big a deal. To prevent an issue like the one you are describing, maybe I could program the remote to turn on the TV much later than the rest of the device(s). (The Logitech harmony has a "one button" turn everything on and off for each activity feature, which has always been awesome until I got this Vizio)

Quote:

Yesterday, I was playing with the "game mode" setting to see what it did, and I left it on as I watched TV through my Comcast HD DVR box, connected by HDMI. The TV started to flash as you described. The screen would just go black for a split-second, with no audio loss, at random intervals. I was very concerned because I have had no issues at all with this set before. I realized that "game mode" was on, and switched it off. The screen blanking stopped immediately. I don't know what "game mode" does, but it seems to cause some kind of synch issue with the cable box that causes the screen to blank. I don't really care, since I see no benefit with the "game mode" enabled, even when playing PS3 games. I was relieved that there was no other issue causing the screen flashing.

From what I can tell, "game mode" disables smooth motion, and it might disable some other picture settings. I'm not sure if it disables any audio settings. The strange thing, is that to troubleshoot "game mode" problems, I turned off the smooth motion but left "game mode" on, and the screen flashes still happened. They only happened with "game mode" on - no matter what the other settings on the TV were. So, I turned "game mode" off and have not seen the issue since then.

Game mode must be re-routing a signal path, or allow a bandwidth that is too high for some of the components to handle, or somehow impair HDMI handshaking, or something else - I'm not sure. I have tried different cables with the same result.

By the way - I have not noticed a difference in game play with "game mode" on or off - there is no lag that I can see, either way. I have now beat God of War III so I am playing Batman Arkham Asylum, and the game play is fine. (just got the PS3 so I'm getting all the good games out of the way before new ones come out lol - it's awesome gaming on a 55" TV)

Now if only Vizio would write some stable software....
post #229 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I have now beat God of War III so I am playing Batman Arkham Asylum, and the game play is fine. (just got the PS3 so I'm getting all the good games out of the way before new ones come out lol - it's awesome gaming on a 55" TV)

Now if only Vizio would write some stable software....

Not to go off topic, but Batman AA is my favorite PS3 game. You'll have a great time playing it.
post #230 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is any one playing Call of duty on this? These shooter games are where lag is most notable, it is the only game I have to turn game mode on my Toshiba.
post #231 of 1670 Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 PM

How does this Vizio stack up with the Samsung UN55C8000?
post #232 of 1670 Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 AM

To start, I'll apologize for the long post ahead. I like to be detailed when I give impressions on technology for others who may find the info useful in their purchasing decisions in the future.

As for a little background on myself, I do not consider myself a videophile. I'm not one of these guys who will actively look for dead pixels or get 2" from the TV in order to spot deficiencies. If I can't see something from my normal viewing position, then I don't care about it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those who are "thorough" in their inspection of a new model, that's just not me.

Due to the $200-off Sam's Club sale going on right now (until Feb 6th), I decided to upgrade my 42" Vizio GV42LF that I purchased back in 2007 when they were first introduced. That was a really great TV and served me well, but being the gadget guy that I am, I wanted to upgrade. I really wanted to get into insanely good black levels as well take my first steps into 3D.

I was originally looking at the XVT3D424SV unit until I compared it with the XVT3D474SV at Sam's. The 47" looked a lot better than the 42", although they were being fed different feeds. Once I realized that the specs on the 47" greatly outweighed the 42", I decided to spend the extra money. The 42" seemed really gimped compared to the 47".

So I bought the XVT3D474SV along with a pair of 3D glasses and brought it home. My home theater configuration consists of a Harmon/Kardon audio receiver that I pass audio through, while my HDMI devices are plugged directly into the TV using monoprice 6' cables (can't remember the AWG rating). I have my HR21 DirecTV HD/DVR receiver plugged into HDMI1, my XBOX 360 in HDMI2, and my PS3 into HDMI3.

Each of those devices have the optical routed into my receiver, so I just turn the volume all the way down on the TV and leave it there. I did see an option to completely disable audio through the TV, but since I only have 3 optical in's on my receiver, I'll still need the TV audio if I decide to use any of the video apps. The first thing I saw that I liked was that it saves the volume control for each independent input across sessions. This way, anytime I change to HDMI1, 2, or 3, the volume is set to 0, but when I hop into the Netflix app, the volume is set to 16. I honestly don't think I'll be using Netflix, VUDU, or any of those other movie apps on the TV (my two consoles do better with it), but it's a nice feature.

My first impressions of the picture were of amazement. Without adjusting any of the picture settings, I thought everything looked great. I popped in my Avatar blu-ray almost immediately, at which point my brother and I just stared in awe. The black on this set is absolutely ridiculous. I'm unsure if there is any kind of bleeding/clouding/flashlighting/whatever-it's-called-these-days on LED LCD technology, but I saw none of that. The black on the edges of the screen match the black bezel, this was in daylight or at night. I also looked for this "blooming" that I've read about, but I can't seem to see it. That was in very limited testing though, just on the credits of a couple of shows last night. The edges of white text on a black background looked sharp to me, from my 8' viewing distance. Maybe this is an advantage of the 160 zones on the smaller 47" compared to the 120 on the 55".

This is my first 60hz+ TV, so my only experience with smooth motion processing is what I've seen in stores. I was always kind of iffy about it, since it makes the picture look "fake", especially when you're used to the regular framerate. But after finally having the feature in-home, I got used to it pretty quickly and came to appreciate it, all in a few hours' time. I can easily tell a difference (obviously) when setting the motion processing from Off to Low, but I couldn't tell a difference between the Low, Medium, and High settings. The TV came defaulted to Medium, but I have it set to Low right now. It will probably take some extended viewing at each setting for me to differentiate between them.

The remote is very cheap feeling, but it gets the job done. Don't set it anywhere that it can accidentally be sat on, otherwise I doubt it would survive. I like the slide-out keyboard for the internet apps though, it's very handy. Speaking of the internet apps, they aren't as "awesome" as I was expecting them to be. There are a couple of very notable absences, most prevalent being Youtube. I already use Netflix on my PS3 and/or 360, and after using Netflix very briefly on the TV, I find it to be a little slower than my consoles. The built-in app appears to use the older disc-based interface from the PS3 version. The twitter app is the only app I've seen so far to look to be somewhat useful. The Facebook app is all but useless to me, requiring too much navigation to see anything of importance. To me, these apps should be quick and painless to use, providing at-a-glance info. If you have to do to much to get to the info, then you might as well use a computer. I haven't delved into the other apps yet.

I did play a few games from both my PS3 and 360, and was unable to perceive any kind of lag from default settings. I've seen the "Game Mode" setting in the menu, but I've yet to enable it and probably never will. I did play a little bit of Black Ops and while I wasn't looking for lag, I didn't feel any. Same goes for a few other games I played, but none of them got too much play time. It was mainly to test 3D and the picture in general.

On to 3D, which I was really looking forward to trying out. My initial impressions, in a word....disappointed. Like said before, the crosstalk on this set is pretty damn bad. I also ran across a problem (that I posted above) where DirecTV receivers have a problem with Vizio televisions in that ESPN3D (and sometimes n3D) refuses to work. It claims that the TV doesn't support 720p and cannot play back the content due to 3D images being unable to be converted. A quick google search shows this is a very common problem that DirecTV hasn't even really acknowledged (the problem most definitely seems to be with DirecTV). The Vizio line isn't listed as compatible though, so just be warned of this issue.

I have no 3D blu-ray movies, so all of my testing came through games. These were definitely a mixed back overall. Super Stardust HD showed minimal crosstalk and looked great, although the 3D effect doesn't add much to the experience. My biggest "WOW" moment came with the Motorstorm 3D Rift demo. There was some crosstalk here, but not as apparent as it could've been. The depth was pretty amazing overall and really added a lot to the game. I will definitely be purchasing the $10 Motorstorm 3D game on PSN and will keep an eye on Motorstorm Apocolypse coming in April.

I then tried out Gran Turismo 5, which actually gives some user-configurable settings on the 3D effect. I knew nothing about how to configure these, so I put everything at halfway. The crosstalk was horrible and, to me, made 3D in GT5 unusable. I've since read that adjusting the 3D settings to be pretty high fixes the crosstalk greatly, so I can report back later tonight once I've gone back in and tested. I also popped in Black Ops on the 360, and was again disappointed. At times it was fairly decent, but other times the 3D effect just wasn't that prevalent. Aiming down the sights of a gun was pretty neat, but sometimes the crosstalk just completely took away the experience. Again, I only put about 3-5 minutes into one level to test it out, so hopefully further testing tonight will yield better results. I also caught a couple of minutes on the n3D station this morning, but once again, the crosstalk ruined most scenes.

My overall initial testing of the 3D is that it's generally busted. If this is what the general public is seeing when they are buying TV's for 3D, then no wonder they're being turned off by it. I want to do some further testing with changing contrast settings and such to see if I can minimize the crosstalk, but to me, if it doesn't work correctly right out of the box, then they have a problem. I have hope for a future firmware update that will help the crosstalk issue, but we'll see I guess.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the TV even if I'm disappointed in the 3D. The picture is still amazing and is more than enough reason to keep the TV. I can't really afford anything higher priced anyway, so I don't see myself taking the TV back if the 3D issues persist over the short-term.

EDIT: I wanted to note that my firmware version at time of purchase is VIZIO_XP1.21.2.1 for posterity's sake.
post #233 of 1670 Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Very nice review! I have the 55", and I love Black Ops in 3D on my PS3. I think it adds a new level of immersion in the game. I didn't think I would like 3D, but it has been fun to play with. I find the level of cross-talk depends on the source. There are quite a few 3D titles available on my Comcast, and some look great, and some are annoyingly bad. Clash of the Titans on HBO in 3D was awesome!
post #234 of 1670 Old 01-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsaer View Post

How does this Vizio stack up with the Samsung UN55C8000?

Back lit>Edge lit
post #235 of 1670 Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:

Very nice review! I have the 55", and I love Black Ops in 3D on my PS3. I think it adds a new level of immersion in the game. I didn't think I would like 3D, but it has been fun to play with. I find the level of cross-talk depends on the source. There are quite a few 3D titles available on my Comcast, and some look great, and some are annoyingly bad. Clash of the Titans on HBO in 3D was awesome!

So did you not see a problem with crosstalk in Black Ops or did it just not bother you? I did not get a chance to further test it last night like I wanted to, but I did test other media, which still left me disappointed.

I hopped on my PS3 and downloaded the VUDU app in order to check out the 3D demos/trailers they had available. One in particular that confused me was Toy Story 3. Some scenes looked absolutely amazing but others were a mess. I was actually pleased to see some 3D content that looked great though. I paused on a scene in Toy Story 3 that showed some bad crosstalk and attempted to adjust some settings to see if I could minimize it. I was disappointed to find out that while in 3D mode, you are locked out of almost every single picture-adjusting setting available. I believe the only thing you can adjust is the color temperature and some other random setting. Adjusting either of these did not change the ghosting on the image at all.

I think at this point that I'm really only interested in 3D at a gaming level anyway. I did purchase the $10 "Motorstorm: 3D Rift" PSN game and I love it. The crosstalk is horrible in this game as well, but the action is so fast that you don't particularly notice it. It just makes the game less detailed in a blurry kind of way.

So what exactly is the problem with this set and crosstalk? Could it be reduced with a firmware update? Is it because the glasses are too transparent when closed?
post #236 of 1670 Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancyr View Post
So, ignoring the 3D, is there anything outstanding that brings this heads and shoulders above the 553? I know about the 'real' 240hz refresh rate, but curious how much improvement there is with that and with any other 'upgrades' this has over the 553.
I've been reading all of the applicable forums looking for information on this. Unfortunately, noone anywhere has given any useful information about this. I've been trying to decide between a 553 and a 554, and would especially like to know whether the 480Hz refresh rate offers any noticable improvement.

The 554 has the upgraded refresh rate, a clear screen, and different firmware....so OK, what difference does this make? Some have said the clear screen gives more reflection, but gives increased contrast, but that's about all that's been mentioned. It would be nice to hear from someone who's owned a 3 version and then upgraded to a 4 version.
post #237 of 1670 Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large View Post

I've been reading all of the applicable forums looking for information on this. Unfortunately, noone anywhere has given any useful information about this. I've been trying to decide between a 553 and a 554, and would especially like to know whether the 480Hz refresh rate offers any noticable improvement.

The 554 has the upgraded refresh rate, a clear screen, and different firmware....so OK, what difference does this make? Some have said the clear screen gives more reflection, but gives increased contrast, but that's about all that's been mentioned. It would be nice to hear from someone who's owned a 3 version and then upgraded to a 4 version.

The refresh rate is a not a reason to buy these sets, I can't tell the difference between 120/240/480 and Yes I just returned my 423 for a 474 and the picture(2D) is better. BUT, I think I had a bad 423 cuz it had blooming with certain movies and games and this new set does not have ANY, ever.

The screen.....with the 3D series, the glare can be pretty bad if viewing in a well lit room, but calibrating it correctly can help with that. My room is always dark so for me it didn't matter. In comparison, The matte screen on the 423 was awesome for all situations.

I don't use the 3D, no interest whatsoever. I only got this because the 423 was so hard to find and I couldn't walk into Sams and exchange it for the same model so I paid the difference and brought home the new beast! Best purchase I have ever made, period.

*I have not had a single hiccup with the 474 but it's only been a week. I never had a hiccup with the 423 either and had that for about 80 days. I would someday like to see a properly running 423 to verify I had a lemon cuz I can't see how it bloomed in certain scenes while the 474 does not.
post #238 of 1670 Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large View Post

I've been reading all of the applicable forums looking for information on this.... It would be nice to hear from someone who's owned a 3 version and then upgraded to a 4 version.

You are unlikely to find such info, unless someone returned a bad 553. The 553 has only been on the market since late May 2010 and the 554 since late Nov 2010. The 554 hasn't even been reviewed by the Tech mags yet. Perhaps they will be able to identify major differences.
post #239 of 1670 Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM

I just got home from work and fired up the TV, ready to test some Wipeout HD in 3D. After I had to download a slow update to the demo, I decide to mess around with VIA a bit more. Upon launching it, a small bar showed at the bottom that said something about "com.yahoo.widgets.something.something" could not be reached or launched. I wish I had written down the exact text, but the first part of that is correct (I found it weird that the com came before yahoo).

I absolutely could not get that message to get off the screen. I didn't wait long for a timeout to occur though. I turned off the TV and back on, then launched VIA again. At this point, it said it was initializing and preparing for install. Then it went upward through "Updating Gallery * of 19..." and then afterwards, "Installing Update * of 19...". It then launched like normal. My weather city was still saved, my twitter account still saved....no idea what happened, but it seemed like it reinitialized the entire thing.

I checked for a possible firmware update, but it's the same as before. All other TV settings are still intact. Anyone else see this happen?
post #240 of 1670 Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post

.......no idea what happened, but it seemed like it reinitialized the entire thing.

I checked for a possible firmware update, but it's the same as before. All other TV settings are still intact. Anyone else see this happen?

I guess we need to remember that these newfangled TVs aren't anything like the old CRT versions. These fancy HD sets are like computers, in many ways they are computers, full of electronic gizmos and hooked to the internet, and communicating on-line with who knows what-all.

I don't doubt there will be occasional hiccups. There's no explaining some of the things my laptop does sometimes. As everyone with any computer time knows, weird stuff, never before seen, sometimes comes in out of nowhere. Sometimes it disappears without explanation, sometimes you have to reboot and it goes away, etc.

These TVs are going to have similar characteristics, I'm sure, and maybe owners need to have a mindset like they have with a laptop. You don't assume a laptop is broken, and think about taking it back for an exchange, every time something odd happens.

Just a thought.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page