Vizio xvt3d554sv - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1669 Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just pull the trigger on 474sv from 473sv(I owned the 473sv about 6 weeks).

If you like the 3sv series and not have any issue & you not interest in 3D then keep it.

Right now, I don't see any BIG improvement from 473sv to 474sv.
I didn't have blooming issue on 473sv ( I notice the 473sv has blooming but it doesn't distract me when I watch movie from my PC)
I didn't use Netflix to watch movie, I use my PC to watch MKV HD movies or 3D movies.

I wanna try 3D so that's why I change it.
I try Shrek forever after 3D, Alice in wonderland 3D, GT5 in 3D mode.

The 3D on 474sv is OK, but not good as I expect. For me it's not worth to try.

Hope Cnet will have calibrate setting on 4sv series soon & Vizio will update firmware soon or maybe I will change it back to 473sv.

I have a bit regret that I go to 4sv series, but it's OK to me.

Anyone how to test 1080p/24 ?

Sorry for my English. (It is not my native language)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1669 Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM

I am having a hard time getting my setup correct. If I connect cable box and blu ray into surround sound and surround into tv all via hdmi cables. All works fine, but the remote has issues since everything is going into one input(I then need to change input via surround remote). If I run all hdmis into seperate tv inputs and an optical out of tv to surround sound the remote works great but I only get sound out of two front speakers. No surround sound. Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #243 of 1669 Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM

post #244 of 1669 Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvlam View Post

I am having a hard time getting my setup correct. If I connect cable box and blu ray into surround sound and surround into tv all via hdmi cables. All works fine, but the remote has issues since everything is going into one input(I then need to change input via surround remote). If I run all hdmis into seperate tv inputs and an optical out of tv to surround sound the remote works great but I only get sound out of two front speakers. No surround sound. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi, I don't know this can help you or not.
I think you should try to change TV HDMI input port.

The TV audio optical output is only 2 channel (stereo, not surround)
post #245 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvlam View Post

Your AVR should be in control of SS as the TV outputs stereo 2 channel I believe and is NOT an AVR. Your having a remote issue not a SS event - the TV simulates SS but actually provides no true 5.1 - 7.2 SS at all.

If you want the rewards of true SS you need to work within the limits of your AVR and it's remote unless you buy a Harmony device or similar.

The difference is huge as there is no comparison what the AVR can deliver versus the TV itself.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #246 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Your AVR should be in control of SS as the TV outputs stereo 2 channel I believe and is NOT an AVR. Your having a remote issue not a SS event - the TV simulates SS but actually provides no true 5.1 - 7.2 SS at all.

If you want the rewards of true SS you need to work within the limits of your AVR and it's remote unless you buy a Harmony device or similar.

The difference is huge as there is no comparison what the AVR can deliver versus the TV itself.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought was happening, though I was hoping there was a way to pass the audio through the tv and back to reciever without converting it to stereo. I have a friend who seems to think his Vizio is outputting surround sound to his receiver, but it may just be a prologic type of created surround he is hearing.

I have a harmony remote that can do nearly everything, but I still need my cable box remote for a couple of functions plus I then lose the qwerty and blue tooth features of the Vizio remote. It is dissapointing because when all components are hooked to TV, the remote works great but if you plan to use a SS it is not nearly as convenient. I guess it is a matter of having to choose which I prefer, but for this kind of money I would like to think I could just choose to have it all. Guess not... Thanks again for the responses.
post #247 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 AM

I have had the Vizio xvt3d554sv for a week now. The image quality is fantastic my unit except for one issue. The upper right third and lower-left third of this TV exhibit a yellowish tinted cloud durring dark scenes.

If I throw up a black JPEG that takes up the entire screen the black is not at all even, it appears as though clouds are in the upper right and lower left.

It is quite distracting during dark scenes in movies and games. Fiddling with the settings has no effect.

Is everyone else's black levels uniform across the screen? If so, I will be exchanging this unit a Costco this weekend.

Thanks!
post #248 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Liked: 25
Return it immediately b4 they run out and you won't have another set to bring home. The picture on this tv is absolutely astounding, takes me back to my Pioneer Elite CRT days. 100% uniform blacks here, obviously your set is not working properly, sucks indeed but get a new one ASAP, good luck and let us know how the new one is!
post #249 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitonmatrix View Post

I have had the Vizio xvt3d554sv for a week now. The image quality is fantastic my unit except for one issue. The upper right third and lower-left third of this TV exhibit a yellowish tinted cloud durring dark scenes....Thanks!

Houston, we have a problem.... sorry I've never seen this. Sounds defective. Best of luck getting a new one that works. You'll love this TV.
post #250 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Just a thought, but you DO have the Dynamic LED feature turned ON right? If it's off and the backlight setting is too high, you could see panel uniformity issues.

Max
post #251 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts View Post

Return it immediately b4 they run out and you won't have another set to bring home.

He has a 554, though. I don't think it will be a problem getting another of those. The 553 is another matter - I understand those are being discontinued by Vizio and, at least around here at Sam's (with their big in-store sale on them), they are only showing avail. in only 1 last store now. Web site still showing them avail. on-line, though.

It doesn't seem to make sense that the 554, 474 or 424 will be discontinued any time soon, as they just came out about a month ago.
post #252 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2large View Post

He has a 554, though. I don't think it will be a problem getting another of those. The 553 is another matter - I understand those are being discontinued by Vizio and, at least around here at Sam's (with their big in-store sale on them), they are only showing avail. in only 1 last store now. Web site still showing them avail. on-line, though.

It doesn't seem to make sense that the 554, 474 or 424 will be discontinued any time soon, as they just came out about a month ago.

You misunderstood me, I didn't mean they'd be discontinued, I meant that they sell so fast that it might be a while until his local store gets another pallet in is all. I went into Sams last Friday evening looking at the 47 and 55" models and inquired about the exchange of my 423 while I was there. From friday around 8pm to Saturday around 5pm, they sold 7 of the 47" tv's, leaving only 2 on the 2 pallets they had on the floor. That's not say they didn't have more hidden up on the shelves but I'd return it ASAP. Just hoping he avoids a wait is all, if he's like me(very impatient), I wouldn't sleep until a replacement was in my room
post #253 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Yah, you're right. Even on new sets, availability can be an issue at Sam's. We have a fair number of them here in the big city (Dallas) so if one store doesn't have stock, there are others that probably will. Of course, in smaller cities this option isn't necessarily available.

Things can change rapidly. For example, here two days ago the web showed lots of stores in this area with the 553 on sale, and the next day only one store showed it's available. And the one that shows it's available in-store shows it sale-priced, but now priced higher than the other stores showed it two days ago! Yet I was at that store yesterday and saw no sign of any 553. Sometimes they have them stored somewhere, as we know, but there were none on the floor. Also, the web information may not be current.

Seems like unless you're physically in the store and looking at a particular set, you never know for sure if they have it. Sometimes the employees know, but oftentimes not, or they don't know one model from another, and make a mistake.
post #254 of 1669 Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancyr View Post

So, ignoring the 3D, is there anything outstanding that brings this heads and shoulders above the 553? I know about the 'real' 240hz refresh rate, but curious how much improvement there is with that and with any other 'upgrades' this has over the 553.

From my understanding, the 553 did not process 1080p/24 correctly (mentioned in the CNet review) by either applying interpolation or 3:2 pulldown instead of 5:5 pulldown. I believe the 554 corrected this flaw and processes 1080p/24 correctly.

I don't know if this flaw in the 553 can be corrected in a firmware update, but if Vizio has not corrected it by now, by guess is it cannot be corrected.

Still Learning
post #255 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 04:56 AM

When my Vizio XVT3D554SV 55" is in 3D mode, the remote for the Onkyo HT-RC270 does not work, at all. When I switch the TV to 2D, the remote immediately responds and works properly. I know it is interference from the IR emitter from the Vizio. But....is it the Vizio, or the Onkyo? Any suggestions? Both the Vizio and the Onkyo are new purchases, and I can return either or both.

Any similar experiences with the Vizio XVTxxxx Ed tv's and Onkyo (or other AVR's)? What AVR's are not effected by Vizio 3D? Thanks for your help. (Also posted in the Onkyo-HD-RC270 thread)
post #256 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyrott View Post

When my Vizio XVT3D554SV 55" is in 3D mode, the remote for the Onkyo HT-RC270 does not work, at all. When I switch the TV to 2D, the remote immediately responds and works properly. I know it is interference from the IR emitter from the Vizio. But....is it the Vizio, or the Onkyo? Any suggestions? Both the Vizio and the Onkyo are new purchases, and I can return either or both.

Any similar experiences with the Vizio XVTxxxx Ed tv's and Onkyo (or other AVR's)? What AVR's are not effected by Vizio 3D? Thanks for your help. (Also posted in the Onkyo-HD-RC270 thread)

I have the same issues with my HR21 DirecTV box when on a 3D station, the DirecTV remote almost stops functioning. I've found that I literally have to brute force a command to the box by hitting the button over and over until it "takes". But I'm not convinced it's the TV or glasses since this happens even when I have the glasses turned off....the DirecTV box is sitting beside the TV, nowhere in the line of sight of the IR on the TV.

Once I can manage to get off a 3D station, the box goes back to normal. As I type this though, I'm not even sure if I've tested to see how the box behaves without changing the TV into 3D mode while on a 3D station (an obvious test, not sure why I haven't done it). I think it's just my DirecTV box though.
post #257 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Ye sfor some reason you have to hit the 3D button, switch to 2D then your remote will work
post #258 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision View Post

I have the same issues with my HR21 DirecTV box when on a 3D station, the DirecTV remote almost stops functioning. I've found that I literally have to brute force a command to the box by hitting the button over and over until it "takes". But I'm not convinced it's the TV or glasses since this happens even when I have the glasses turned off....the DirecTV box is sitting beside the TV, nowhere in the line of sight of the IR on the TV.

Once I can manage to get off a 3D station, the box goes back to normal. As I type this though, I'm not even sure if I've tested to see how the box behaves without changing the TV into 3D mode while on a 3D station (an obvious test, not sure why I haven't done it). I think it's just my DirecTV box though.

Your HR21 should have come with an RF remote. You may want to try switching the HR21 to RF mode.
post #259 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts View Post

Return it immediately b4 they run out and you won't have another set to bring home. The picture on this tv is absolutely astounding, takes me back to my Pioneer Elite CRT days. 100% uniform blacks here, obviously your set is not working properly, sucks indeed but get a new one ASAP, good luck and let us know how the new one is!

Can you please share your settings. I had a samsung B8500 and the blacks matched the bezel. For ex: the starting credits for HBO Big love. Vizio has too much blooming and the black are bit greyish (if you watch at night).

But, I have seen some end credits where the blooming was not that bad (still not the same as my old sammy).

Not sure if this is a firmware issues.
post #260 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoroudi View Post

Any comments on the just released VIZIO XVT3D554SV ? Any reviews out there yet?

In stock from Vizio.com, but backordered from amazon.com.

I want to order one, but want to hear some reviews & comments first.

Thx

Hi, from my personal experience I can tell you its pretty good for the price and works fine. I went through many forums just like you to get some info on and I guess its natural to be a bit concerned as its not a very small purchase any ways and not unimportant in anyways. I would suggest couple of links Vizio you already know then one is Testfreaks. hope this helps. thanks.
post #261 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancyr View Post

So, ignoring the 3D, is there anything outstanding that brings this heads and shoulders above the 553? I know about the 'real' 240hz refresh rate, but curious how much improvement there is with that and with any other 'upgrades' this has over the 553.

Well, They are basically the same tv. For one thing, you will not be able to see any difference between the 240 vs 480 mhz. The 3D is at it's infancy stage. I refer to Vizio's 2011 3D offerings where regular cheap movie theater glasses will be used to view content, not the heavy expensive electronic ones required now. They are transitioning away from today's technology very soon. Finally, I can tell you that the high gloss screen on the 554 to me is very annoying as I do have a curtained window and table lamps in the tv room. My eyes are always picking up on the reflections. Matte, IMO, is better.
post #262 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamin View Post

Can you please share your settings. I had a samsung B8500 and the blacks matched the bezel. For ex: the starting credits for HBO Big love. Vizio has too much blooming and the black are bit greyish (if you watch at night).

But, I have seen some end credits where the blooming was not that bad (still not the same as my old sammy).

Not sure if this is a firmware issues.

I'm still messing around with the Smooth Motion/Real Cinema settings, I use these settings with my Vizio 32" but this set looks different with the same settings, maybe because it's so much bigger? Oh and my room is very dark so keep that in mind....

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 16
Brightness: 47
Contrast: 44
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 4

Color Temp: Custom
Red Gain: 117
Green Gain: 123
Blue Gain: 111
Red Offset: 119
Green Offset: 124
Blue Offset: 124

Advanced Picture:
All are Set to OFF except...
Smooth Motion: Middle or High (still fiddling with)
Real Cinema: Smooth or High (still fiddling with)
Film Mode: Auto
Smart Dimming: On (obviously)

*The color gains and offsets are a work in progress, I've only had this set for 6 days and haven't used it a lot but will play with it a LOT this weekend

You'll notice the temp isn't set to Cool but overall it's gives me cooler colors, I am using the same settings for my xbox 360 gaming by the way and looks awesome.
post #263 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Sorry for the general question here, but what is considered the best amateur calibration blu-ray out these days? I still have an Avia DVD from like 5 or 6 years ago, but I didn't know if there is something better out there now that would be ideal for the amazing picture the newer TV's put out.

In other words, what are some of you using to calibrate your own 4SV?
post #264 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM

I haven't had time to use a disc yet but I do have Digital Video Essentials HD Basics on HD-DVD, the same disc is available on bluray I believe. I used the Cnet settings that pertained to the series that came before this one, the **3 SV series and using those settings seemed a bit 2 dark so I adjusted most of them to what my eyes prefer.
post #265 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is there a list of movie/gaming/cable/sat settings anywhere?
post #266 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

I just saw this prior post regarding the gloss!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=213
post #267 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 PM

When I hit my menu button it keeps turning on the cables menu wth!
post #268 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

I just saw this prior post regarding the gloss!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=213

The guy has windows for walls. If he expected anything different, I don't know what to tell him.

Reflective screen is reflective.
post #269 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM

I really need sum game/cable/sat settings.. help!
Also i wanna turn off these widgets HOW?
post #270 of 1669 Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post

When I hit my menu button it keeps turning on the cables menu wth!

You have configured your Vizio remote to work with your cable box. Whenever you select the cable input, the buttons will work the cable box. If you don't want this to occur, you need to change your TV's settings so that the Vizio remote will no longer control the cable box.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio Xvt3d554sv 55 Inch 1080p 480hz 3d Led Hdtv With Full Array Truled Smart Dimming And Vizio Inte , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page