AVS Forum banner

Sharp LC60E78UN [No Price Talk]

252K views 1K replies 264 participants last post by  DaveFi 
#1 ·
Anyone find it interesting that this model Sharp LC60E78UN is in BB add and available at unbelievable deal isnt even listed on Sharp website. You cant find any specifics on this TV. Does anyone know whats up with this TV?

#952 ·
On another note, thanks for the info on the tv. It looks pretty good with with BR, Xbox, and HD Optik tv.

I plan on buying a small-clearance wall mount and setting that up, but I would have a lot of work to do. Because this set is so big, a wall mount in the correct position would place it so that it covers the switch for my fireplace. So I may just look into getting a low voltage IR switch to put in there... and probably need an IR extender so the tv doesn't block the signal, then programming the fireplace on/off into a Harmony 880. Not only that, I'll have to add a recessed plugin, and some cable management to run hdmi down to a receiver.

It's starting to sound like quite the project just to wall mount.

#953 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settled4Sharp /forum/post/20255714

- Does anyone know how I can connect my speaker set to the TV and use the TV remote to control the speaker sound???

Thanks for any feedback,

Sorry if I'm not making sense..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrizztD0Urden /forum/post/20256058

Have you tried adjusting the option in the tv menu for variable audio output? I don't remember the exact menu name, but you should be able to find it. It might not work either, but is probably worth a shot.

MENU -- Option -- Output Select -- Variable

#954 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Settled4Sharp
NEED HELP CONTROLLING SOUND OUTPUT:

- Does anyone know how I can connect my speaker set to the TV and use the TV remote to control the speaker sound???

- Would it make any difference if I can find a way to take the audio signal from the TV via the Digital Audio Output??[/b]

Thanks for any feedback,

Sorry if I'm not making sense..
Menu - Option - Output Select - Variable

Sorry to above poster, didnt see it had been answered.

#955 ·
Really having a hard time waiting for this set. The TV is sitting at the warehouse but the stand I want is what is holding things up. Its still on schedule for a Saturday delivery.

Anyways I got a question regarding the Zoom modes? I have a lot of non anamorphic DVD's and I have discovered on my Samsung's that if I set the player to output a 480P signal and put it on Samsung's Zoom 1 mode that is scales it perfectly without a whole lot of lost detail. Some but not much and for the movies I watch provide a satisfactory picture. It seems to look far better letting the TV do it then the player. Interestingly on the Samsung's at least you only get Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 with non hi def sources.

I am curious if this Sharp unit has similar zoom mode for scaling non anamorphic DVD's?

#956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfat /forum/post/20256102

MENU -- Option -- Output Select -- Variable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr /forum/post/20257557

Menu - Option - Output Select - Variable

Sorry to above poster, didnt see it had been answered.

thanks guys, I did not see that when I dug through the menus.

...I'm an idiot

working great now though!!

#957 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/20261490

Really having a hard time waiting for this set. The TV is sitting at the warehouse but the stand I want is what is holding things up. Its still on schedule for a Saturday delivery.

Anyways I got a question regarding the Zoom modes? I have a lot of non anamorphic DVD's and I have discovered on my Samsung's that if I set the player to output a 480P signal and put it on Samsung's Zoom 1 mode that is scales it perfectly without a whole lot of lost detail. Some but not much and for the movies I watch provide a satisfactory picture. It seems to look far better letting the TV do it then the player. Interestingly on the Samsung's at least you only get Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 with non hi def sources.

I am curious if this Sharp unit has similar zoom mode for scaling non anamorphic DVD's?

This screen is so large that I couldn't imagine the need to zoom in at all, even a 480 signal. Using a normal progressive DVD player or todays bluray players should be all you need. Just my opinion and preference though. YMMV.

#958 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- /forum/post/20261796

This screen is so large that I couldn't imagine the need to zoom in at all, even a 480 signal. Using a normal progressive DVD player or todays bluray players should be all you need. Just my opinion and preference though. YMMV.

Some DVD movies are not created using the anamorphic process and when viewed on a 16x9 display they look way to short and long. Most 16x9 displays offer a Zoom mode that properly scales the non anamorphic movie to the proper dimensions. Technically Zoom is really not proper name and it should be called Scale or maybe even Non Anamorphic Scale but most manufactures just call it Zoom or Just Fit. For example on the Samsung's its Zoom 1.

Interestingly on most if not all Samsung's you don't have Zoom 1 when running your source at high def. Likely because Hi Def material does not need to be scaled. Not sure if this rule is golden with other manufactures.

Since non anamorphic DVD's are so rare now days some manufactures have removed all zoom or scaling features from its TV's. I think Vizio comes to mind and has removed at least some Zooming/Scaling options.

BTW, some DVD players and maybe Blu Ray players scale non anamorphic material but I have found that the display always does it better.

#959 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/20261954

Some DVD movies are not created using the anamorphic process and when viewed on a 16x9 display they look way to short and long. Most 16x9 displays offer a Zoom mode that properly scales the non anamorphic movie to the proper dimensions. Technically Zoom is really not proper name and it should be called Scale or maybe even Non Anamorphic Scale but most manufactures just call it Zoom or Just Fit. For example on the Samsung's its Zoom 1.

Interestingly on most if not all Samsung's you don't have Zoom 1 when running your source at high def. Likely because Hi Def material does not need to be scaled. Not sure if this rule is golden with other manufactures.

Since non anamorphic DVD's are so rare now days some manufactures have removed all zoom or scaling features from its TV's. I think Vizio comes to mind and has removed at least some Zooming/Scaling options.

BTW, some DVD players and maybe Blu Ray players scale non anamorphic material but I have found that the display always does it better.

Gotcha... This sharp has 4 settings for 4:3 material.

From the manual:

Side Bar - Suitable for viewing 4:3 programs in their normal format. (So black bars on either side)

S.Stretch or Smart Stretch - Suitable for stretching 4:3 material to fill the screen.

Zoom - Suitable for watching anamorphic DVDs in full screen.

Stretch - This mode is suitable for watching 1.78:1 dvds. When viewing 1.85:1 dvds, stretch mode will still show very thin black bars at the top and bottom.

I don't have any non-anamorphic material but those are your options. I have tried them on SD cable and wasn't all that impressed with the TV's ability to scale the signal. I now have my HD box stretching the signal and sending that signal to my TV so my TV stays on "Dot by Dot". Dot by Dot is for 1080i/p material and displays the signal with the same number of pixels on the screen.

#960 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- /forum/post/20262048

Gotcha... This sharp has 4 settings for 4:3 material.

From the manual:

Side Bar - Suitable for viewing 4:3 programs in their normal format. (So black bars on either side)

S.Stretch or Smart Stretch - Suitable for stretching 4:3 material to fill the screen.

Zoom - Suitable for watching anamorphic DVDs in full screen.

Stretch - This mode is suitable for watching 1.78:1 dvds. When viewing 1.85:1 dvds, stretch mode will still show very thin black bars at the top and bottom.

I don't have any non-anamorphic material but those are your options. I have tried them on SD cable and wasn't all that impressed with the TV's ability to scale the signal. I now have my HD box stretching the signal and sending that signal to my TV so my TV stays on "Dot by Dot". Dot by Dot is for 1080i/p material and displays the signal with the same number of pixels on the screen.

I should have just mentioned scaling 4:3 Letterboxed DVD's

Not many but some DVD's were made in the regular 4:3 format and look just fine on 4:3 TV's but are almost unusable on 16:9 TV's. About the best you can do is scale them to fit the screen properly. Even with scaling its normal for 2.35:1 films to have letterboxing but the 1.78:1 stuff usually fills all the screen when in these stretching modes.

I am slowly replacing my non-anamorphic DVD's with Blu Ray's as they come out but its going to be a while before everything gets replaced.

Sounds like this Sharp unit has more then enough options to scale non-anamorphic DVD's. Since you are blowing them up slightly it does degrade quality but I would rather do this then set the display to 4:3 mode and watch it pillarboxed.

Quality loss varies greatly by display. Some look really good and some are probably not worth doing. From what I read in this thread it looks like this Sharp unit is not so good but its not a deal killer. I only have to do this a few times a year if that. Probably the last time I did it is when I watched the Original format Star Wars movies. George Lucas was nice enough to only put these out in 4:3 Letterbox format.

#962 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- /forum/post/20272196

Well, coming up on a month of use and believe it or not but I've actually got the TV displaying SD cable in an enjoyable way. Did some adjustments to my settings as well as my HD box and it's looking really good now.

Cool and glad its working for you. In time if you don't mind sharing what you did to make it look better that would be great.

Mine is coming in tomorrow and will have it set up on Saturday. Really looking forward to it and my buyer picked up my DLP yesterday. So I am now officially without a display in my main home theater system. So I am committed to doing something.

For giggles I checked out the new D8000 series 64" Samsung plasma. It looked pretty good but its very expensive. Also I am still on the fence about Plasma's mainly because of issues in the past. Especially the Samsung Plasmas.

Also at my local BB they just put up a Panasonic 55" ST30 and it looked beyond sweet and its not priced half bad for the tech you get including 3D. However its that Plasma tech again. Plus I would want a 60" or 65" and those are not available yet.

Its possible if I can't get this Sharp unit to look the way I want I might go in a different direction but I really should not because it takes more cash money then I should spend.

#963 ·
Just curious does the tv support audio return channel?

I'm shopping for a Avr right now and HDMI 1.4a support audio return channel only if your tv supports it is that correct? I just bought a 25 foot hdmi cable from Monoprice & I hope I don't have to buy a 25 foot digital audio cable.

#966 ·
longhaul747,

I'm a big fan a plasma picture but I just can't live with the image retention that plagues them all. I do more then just watch TV and movies with my TV so I can't be worrying about stuff like that. I've gone through my own issues and have finally given up. My TV habits and plasma just don't mix.

People who say with proper break in and proper TV care IR and burn in aren't an issue anymore are stretching the truth. Too bad because if I could make it work for me I would probably be a plasma owner.

#967 ·
I'll let you know when I get my new receiver if the tv has audio return channel. It would be a shame to run long audio cables again. That's why I might buy my receiver locally. When I get it home and test it out and if the audio doesn't come through the hdmi cable then I'm taking it back and gonna use my hdmi receiver I already have.

The price we pay for hd programming.

#968 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- /forum/post/20272938

longhaul747,

I'm a big fan a plasma picture but I just can't live with the image retention that plagues them all. I do more then just watch TV and movies with my TV so I can't be worrying about stuff like that. I've gone through my own issues and have finally given up. My TV habits and plasma just don't mix.

People who say with proper break in and proper TV care IR and burn in aren't an issue anymore are stretching the truth. Too bad because if I could make it work for me I would probably be a plasma owner.

Most of my fears regarding plasma are likely issues that are now in the past but I am still on the fence enough to not bite. Burn in is still an issue because I know a few people who pulled it off by simply playing the same video game over and over or watching an abundance of 2.35:1 films.

Also despite a better color pallet available on Plasmas I find they are just way to dark for my taste. No point in having better colors if half the picture is lost do to the lack of brightness. This has improved greatly in recent models. In fact the new Panasonic ST30 is very bright by Plasma standards.

Also another issue noticed with some plasmas is our old friend dot crawl. Again recent models have mostly eliminated it but its still there a tiny bit on a few of them. Also notice a great deal of video noise in many plasmas. Its likely a result of better and faster processing combined with a dirty video source making it show up more on Plasmas but its interesting when the Plasma has lots of video noise whereas the LCD next to it is perfectly clean.

Also I tend to believe (based on no real fact) that Plasmas are not as reliable. They certainly consume more power however again newer models have greatly improved.

I have a feeling I would be very happy with some of the newest Plasmas on the market. They certainly have a nice size and price point on them now. However I think I still prefer LCD for the most part although I can certainly understand that on paper plasmas offer superior performance. Especially in the 3D realm.

Anyways my Sharp arrived today but I have to be at work in a few hours. By the time I get home tonight I will be to burned out to hook it up. So that is happening tomorrow.

One thing I am mildly concerned about is a part of the top of the box was cut open by a box cutter. When I open the flap some of the Styrofoam is broken and the plastic sheet over the screen was also ripped open. It looks like someone inspected the screen. Not sure if this is standard procedure or not? The box still has the straps on it and the TV still has the protective plastic sheets around the bezel but I am concerned some of that Styrofoam has been rubbing against the screen during transit.

Been there and done that with an old Sony Big Screen. When it was removed from the box some of the Styrofoam managed to rub against the screen damaging it. Back in the box it went for an exchange witch was a major PITA in those days. In the Sony's case it was not opened for inspection but simply the plastic protective cover slipped off. I hope history does not repeat.

#969 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/20275975

One thing I am mildly concerned about is a part of the top of the box was cut open by a box cutter. When I open the flap some of the Styrofoam is broken and the plastic sheet over the screen was also ripped open. It looks like someone inspected the screen. Not sure if this is standard procedure or not? The box still has the straps on it and the TV still has the protective plastic sheets around the bezel but I am concerned some of that Styrofoam has been rubbing against the screen during transit.

Been there and done that with an old Sony Big Screen. When it was removed from the box some of the Styrofoam managed to rub against the screen damaging it. Back in the box it went for an exchange witch was a major PITA in those days. In the Sony's case it was not opened for inspection but simply the plastic protective cover slipped off. I hope history does not repeat.

I'm OCD about stuff like that as well so I completely understand your concerns. I'm not sure why that would have happened, seems strange really. Maybe somebody was thinking about stealing it but then changed their mind when they saw how big the screen was?..lol

#970 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumprunlogan /forum/post/20275424

I'll let you know when I get my new receiver if the tv has audio return channel. It would be a shame to run long audio cables again. That's why I might buy my receiver locally. When I get it home and test it out and if the audio doesn't come through the hdmi cable then I'm taking it back and gonna use my hdmi receiver I already have.

The price we pay for hd programming.

Let us know how the HDMI connection works for you. I've heard horror stories with runs that long.

#971 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/20275975

Most of my fears regarding plasma are likely issues that are now in the past but I am still on the fence enough to not bite. Burn in is still an issue because I know a few people who pulled it off by simply playing the same video game over and over or watching an abundance of 2.35:1 films.

Also despite a better color pallet available on Plasmas I find they are just way to dark for my taste. No point in having better colors if half the picture is lost do to the lack of brightness. This has improved greatly in recent models. In fact the new Panasonic ST30 is very bright by Plasma standards.

Also another issue noticed with some plasmas is our old friend dot crawl. Again recent models have mostly eliminated it but its still there a tiny bit on a few of them. Also notice a great deal of video noise in many plasmas. Its likely a result of better and faster processing combined with a dirty video source making it show up more on Plasmas but its interesting when the Plasma has lots of video noise whereas the LCD next to it is perfectly clean.

Also I tend to believe (based on no real fact) that Plasmas are not as reliable. They certainly consume more power however again newer models have greatly improved.

I have a feeling I would be very happy with some of the newest Plasmas on the market. They certainly have a nice size and price point on them now. However I think I still prefer LCD for the most part although I can certainly understand that on paper plasmas offer superior performance. Especially in the 3D realm.

Anyways my Sharp arrived today but I have to be at work in a few hours. By the time I get home tonight I will be to burned out to hook it up. So that is happening tomorrow.

do not worry about the box being cut open on the front - that's exactly how they delivered mine and when asked about it the delivery guys said it's now part of the BestBuy warehouse pre-delivery inspection. Enjoy your new TV!

#972 ·
My bestbuy delivery guy told me the same thing, they cut the box before delivery to make sure the tv screen is not damaged.

OBTW: Bestbuy has our tv on sale again starting this Sunday for 1 week, same price includes delivery & recycle.

#973 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumprunlogan /forum/post/20272795

Just curious does the tv support audio return channel?

I'm shopping for a Avr right now and HDMI 1.4a support audio return channel only if your tv supports it is that correct? I just bought a 25 foot hdmi cable from Monoprice & I hope I don't have to buy a 25 foot digital audio cable.

Just got an email from Sharp tech support and they told me this TV only has HDMI 1.3. I thought for sure it would have 1.3a but I've been told it's only 1.3.

#974 ·
Ronin thanks for the help, appreciate that. Now that puts everything in perspective and to all the owners of this lcd if you are gonna connect it to an avr you need to have audio cables.

Well what's the point of replacing my Onkyo HT-R560 avr. When I bought it 2 years ago I knew I had to hook up audio cables along with Hdmi to get audio. It's worked great & I never had any problems with it. This now makes me want to just remove the ht-r560 from my bedroom and use with with the Sharp tv, order a 25 foot audio cable & be done with it. On the Sharp, I currently use an older Onkyo avr with no Hdmi but it still works great. I couldn't have known that this tv was hdmi 1.3 and I know the salesperson at Best Buy wouldn't have known. If the tv wasn't so great I would try to take it back for a newer model.

What about a firmware upgrade maybe it will support hdmi 1.4?

#975 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumprunlogan /forum/post/20278590

Ronin thanks for the help, appreciate that. Now that puts everything in perspective and to all the owners of this lcd if you are gonna connect it to an avr you need to have audio cables.

Well what's the point of replacing my Onkyo HT-R560 avr. When I bought it 2 years ago I knew I had to hook up audio cables along with Hdmi to get audio. It's worked great & I never had any problems with it. This now makes me want to just remove the ht-r560 from my bedroom and use with with the Sharp tv, order a 25 foot audio cable & be done with it. On the Sharp, I currently use an older Onkyo avr with no Hdmi but it still works great. I couldn't have known that this tv was hdmi 1.3 and I know the salesperson at Best Buy wouldn't have known. If the tv wasn't so great I would try to take it back for a newer model.

What about a firmware upgrade maybe it will support hdmi 1.4?

I doubt it... That would kill the need to upgrade and that is something they don't want.

#976 ·
Well, having had my doubts about the last email I received form Sharp Canada about this 60in only having 1.3 and not 1.3a I decided to emailed sharp USA and ask them the same question. They told me the same as sharp Canada told me. All of the TV's up until the Sharp Aquos Quattron series televisions came out, support HDMI 1.3.

Kinda sucks but not a real deal breaker for me. I just thought this info would help future buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.