Sharp LC60E78UN [No Price Talk] - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1192 Old 12-03-2011, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if that makes it 100% for sure xgen panel. Not a lot of confidence when they change their answers after you provide them with info that would damage their credibility.

I am just going to believe it does have xgen as the box says.

Got my hooked up 2 days ago and am enjoying it. I think the picture looks great. Still hard to believe this was only $799!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1192 Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought this tv back in January and since the start I have never been in love.

For starters, during childrens shows especially, or even vibrant commercials, I have lots of color trails. If a bright blue picture moves on a while background during a commercial, I see it and all the letters of the show trail slightly after. That is really annoying. During movies and stuff it isn't a big deal, but for bright shows, it's noticeable. Moreso when you first start the tv (like it's warming up?) but it never goes away.

I have seen this in DVDs too I believe, so it isn't a signal issue. BRs, I can't tell even during vibrant shows like UP or Despicable Me. I will need to check again on that.

Second, my television (cable/satellite) picture is not sharp as it should be. If you step towards it you can see the picture is fuzzier and just not sharp. My father in law has a 55" Sony LCD that is a year older than this one, and it makes me foam at the mouth when I am at his house. It's how tv SHOULD look. Even up close there is no pixelation and it's sharp. He has commented on how tv shows on mine look worse, and it irritates me!

First we both had Time Warner and then we both switched to DirecTV, and the difference is still night and day--his picture is miles better than mine. The same guy installed our DirecTV, too. The only thing it could be is either his tv is much better than mine, meaning this Sharp is a POS, or something is causing my poor picture quality.

However, there is one thing that is consistent between my DirecTV picture and Time Warner problems--the DirecTV tech used the same coax that goes to my tv that was there previously. All other wires are new since I still have Cable internet--new wires feed from the satellite into the basement, hits a splitter thing, then the old cable goes up through the floor and into my living room. I am hooked up via HDMI on everything and the box is set at 1080i. Even 720p still looks fairly lousy, and I have a great reception from the satellite.

Looking at the cable, I believe it's still RG6, but it's super old. It was back from when Adelphia was the cable company, and Time Warner bought them out. The cable still has Adelphia's name on it.

I bought a new, hopefully higher quality coax to try out to see if it improves the picture--it should be in my mail tomorrow night. If it works, I'll squeal. If not, it's the tv. And I guess I'll have to call Sharp about the color issue and having a fairly terrible tv reception.

Thing is, BR and videogames look fantastic, so to me it should be a signal issue. Even with a new signal, it's bad, so I decided to replace the coax. I have a feeling this isn't the cause, as my last tv seemed just fine and it was a 46" Samsung LCD.

I should have just taken the tv back to the store before my 30 days were out, but I got lazy.
post #1173 of 1192 Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Holly Cow, 799!! You stole it!! I noticed the new 4 color version was down to 999 before xmas, so it makes sense the old version is even less. Where did you even FIND one?

Kelegacy,
Have you gone thru and done Elfy's set-up yet? I cannot say if it will help, but maybe it will with some of the color ghosting?

FYI - My tv's flashlighting has gotten significantly worse. Not sure if it was from moving it to new location or what, but I now have some in the middle of the screen. Thankfully it only shows in black screens.
post #1174 of 1192 Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

For starters, during childrens shows especially, or even vibrant commercials, I have lots of color trails. If a bright blue picture moves on a while background during a commercial, I see it and all the letters of the show trail slightly after. That is really annoying. During movies and stuff it isn't a big deal, but for bright shows, it's noticeable. Moreso when you first start the tv (like it's warming up?) but it never goes away.

I have seen this in DVDs too I believe, so it isn't a signal issue. BRs, I can't tell even during vibrant shows like UP or Despicable Me. I will need to check again on that.

Second, my television (cable/satellite) picture is not sharp as it should be. If you step towards it you can see the picture is fuzzier and just not sharp. My father in law has a 55" Sony LCD that is a year older than this one, and it makes me foam at the mouth when I am at his house. It's how tv SHOULD look. Even up close there is no pixelation and it's sharp. He has commented on how tv shows on mine look worse, and it irritates me!

First we both had Time Warner and then we both switched to DirecTV, and the difference is still night and day--his picture is miles better than mine. The same guy installed our DirecTV, too. The only thing it could be is either his tv is much better than mine, meaning this Sharp is a POS, or something is causing my poor picture quality.

However, there is one thing that is consistent between my DirecTV picture and Time Warner problems--the DirecTV tech used the same coax that goes to my tv that was there previously. All other wires are new since I still have Cable internet--new wires feed from the satellite into the basement, hits a splitter thing, then the old cable goes up through the floor and into my living room. I am hooked up via HDMI on everything and the box is set at 1080i. Even 720p still looks fairly lousy, and I have a great reception from the satellite.

Looking at the cable, I believe it's still RG6, but it's super old. It was back from when Adelphia was the cable company, and Time Warner bought them out. The cable still has Adelphia's name on it.

I bought a new, hopefully higher quality coax to try out to see if it improves the picture--it should be in my mail tomorrow night. If it works, I'll squeal. If not, it's the tv. And I guess I'll have to call Sharp about the color issue and having a fairly terrible tv reception.

Thing is, BR and videogames look fantastic, so to me it should be a signal issue. Even with a new signal, it's bad, so I decided to replace the coax. I have a feeling this isn't the cause, as my last tv seemed just fine and it was a 46" Samsung LCD.

I should have just taken the tv back to the store before my 30 days were out, but I got lazy.

Kelegacy, I found that trailing on white background is correlated with the color intensity setting. Reduce Color several notches and the trailing should greatly diminish. My explanation for that effect is that the higher the color intensity the more liquid crystals have to twist so untwisting them due to the white background just takes more time, so to speak...
BTW, Sonys as well as Samsungs are notorious for extreme edge enhancement (sharpening) along with heavy noise reduction out of the box. Picture sure looks sharp and clean but it's different from the original signal. I prefer the original, be it good or bad quality.
post #1175 of 1192 Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Looking at the cable, I believe it's still RG6, but it's super old.

Are your BR and DirecTv box both using the same USER settings? Have you gone through this forum and tried some of the user settings posted by other members? I found that improved my PQ many times over. Out of the box, the settings are terrible. You need to enter one or try many, of the settings posted early on in this thread. I think you will find the PQ is fantastic once you do that.

If you did, and it did not help, there is always the 1 yr warranty...And I am assuming here that DIrecTv hooked their box up via HDMI. If not, do that.

post #1176 of 1192 Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Hey Guys, I might be considering the 79un from Best Buy, but one thing that I have not been able to find out is how the black level performance is on this set. Does any one have numbers or know where I might find out? I can't seem to find any reviews, etc.

Currently have plasma, but have been having some issues with several brands/models and was considering LCD, but most are LED now and from what I read here there are even more clouding/flashlighting issues with LED sets. Not sure if thats true, but the price is right on this set and I was impressed in store when I looked at it, especially compared to the 831 that was sitting right next to it.

Thanks,
post #1177 of 1192 Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

Are your BR and DirecTv box both using the same USER settings? Have you gone through this forum and tried some of the user settings posted by other members? I found that improved my PQ many times over. Out of the box, the settings are terrible. You need to enter one or try many, of the settings posted early on in this thread. I think you will find the PQ is fantastic once you do that.

If you did, and it did not help, there is always the 1 yr warranty...And I am assuming here that DIrecTv hooked their box up via HDMI. If not, do that.

Yeah, the settings are the same. The modes actually seem to keep settings, where some TVs I've owned have required you to change picture settings when changing picture mode. This Sharp doesn't seem to be that way.

When I switch the tv to Movie mode, I don't get any color trails, but the colors are very muted, the brightness was up to 16 max initially and it just isn't pleasing. That's the only way I can keep the color/picture trails from happening. It's like the processor just can't keep up.

I don't notice it all the time, only when bright colors are on bright backgrounds. It irks me though. I have the 13 month warranty because I registered with Sharp, so I have until March. I might call them up, see what they say. Otherwise, the picture is okay, I just never realize how not-brilliant it is until I see my father-in-laws every Sunday. And even the crappy Westinghouse we gave to my parents seems to display cleaner colors and images and they have Dish Network. It is aggravating.

I replaced the coax, and it wasn't that issue, so it has to be the tv itself. I may call, but I will continue to tweak as well. If I could keep the picture fairly pretty and not have color trails, i'd be happy. But even using the settings recommended in these forums, I get the color trails.

I have bought many HDMI cables to see if that was the cause, but it's not. I don't think it's signal based anyway, as I saw it on a DVD once for my son.

Ah well.
post #1178 of 1192 Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, at least go in and turn off all the extra processor settings, like active contrast, fine motion, etc. See if that helps. You didnt reply as to whether you were using elflys settings from earlier in this thread, or just the default settings from sharp.

post #1179 of 1192 Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Anyone with Uverse have a problem with audio dropouts with this tv? An internet search yields some discussion on problems with hdmi. This is the only tv in the house that has this problem.
post #1180 of 1192 Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlr View Post

Well, at least go in and turn off all the extra processor settings, like active contrast, fine motion, etc. See if that helps. You didnt reply as to whether you were using elflys settings from earlier in this thread, or just the default settings from sharp.

Sorry if I had been vague. They were original elfy's settings, but with a few tweaks of my own. No processor settings at all. I even tried out Game mode, which reportedly turns off all processor stuff, but it didn't improve stuff really.

I ran new coax so it isn't the reception, it's just the tv. And I think I can live with it. I messed around with the tv a lot this weekend and think I came to some settings that I really enjoy. I will have to look up elfy's original settings again to see how close I am to them. I may also update the firmware if there is a new one out there newer than Jan/Feb/March of 2011.

The only way to really get rid of color trails is to put it into Movie Mode, which makes the colors a bit washed out on it's default settings. But even with color at zero on User or Standard, I still get the color/picture trails, like the processor is a millisecond or two too slow. None of the 3 other HDTVs I've ever owned have this color issue, and one is even a cheap throwaway Westinghouse.

But like I said, I think I got back to some settings where I can live with the problem. It seems more noticeable within the first couple hours of start-up, before the tv warms up I guess. If it's on all day long like during a weekend the color affect is less noticeable on my son's colorful programs like Caillou or Curious George.
post #1181 of 1192 Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM

How is the flashlighting on the newer 79's? Is it any better than it was on the 78? I have had my 78 9mos and the flashlighting has become worse to the point of being distracting on dark scenes. I am considering taking it back to BB since it is still under warranty and exchanging, but would hate to open a whole new can of works with units having flashlighting still, or worse the color blurring Kelegacy is seeing.

Other than the flashlighting in dark scenes the TV has been awesome.
post #1182 of 1192 Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembrey View Post

How is the flashlighting on the newer 79's? Is it any better than it was on the 78? I have had my 78 9mos and the flashlighting has become worse to the point of being distracting on dark scenes. I am considering taking it back to BB since it is still under warranty and exchanging, but would hate to open a whole new can of works with units having flashlighting still, or worse the color blurring Kelegacy is seeing.

Other than the flashlighting in dark scenes the TV has been awesome.

I can't answer your question but taking a wild guess I would say they are one and the same.

I have had my display since March of 2011. For the most part I am very happy with it and for its price point I think its a very good display. However I can't help but notice some of its faults and I am now passively in the market for something else. I am not really dissing the TV to terribly and I have always kept at least my main home theater display fairly current. So I am always on the look out for something new.

One of the biggest reasons I am looking for something new is this TV obviously lacks 3D capability. I knew that when I bought it and at the time I was kind of anti 3D mainly because of the huge premiums on 3D models at the time I purchased this set. I have since mid 2011 started buying 3D movies when the option is available to build my library for the future. Its not a big deal really as they all come with a 2D Blu Ray option in them. Everything got kicked into high gear when I bought a budget Samsung 43" 3D Plasma D490 for my master bedroom. The thought of having 3D in the master bedroom before the main home theater system just seems very odd. This is part of the reason why I have been passively looking for something new on my main system.

Another reason why I am in the market for something new is the size. 60 inches is awesome no doubt but I had a 67 inch DLP before. The downsize is just a bit difficult to swallow. This is again no fault of this Sharp TV.

Considering the price point this TV is again pretty good. I can and have overlooked most of its faults but I will mention them here. I tend to get a lot of uneven back lighting. Its not as bad as some have posted in this thread and not nearly as bad as my father's 60 inch Samsung C6000. However its a bit rougher then I like to see. I also tend to get a lot of flash lighting in all 4 corners however in my case I don't think its a fault of the TV. Its some kind of optical affect from the screen itself. If I stand up or move side to side the flash lighting affect goes away. If I go back beyond 12 feet I no longer see it period. So it just might be how it is on a display this size and sitting so close. I don't think 9 feet is all that close for 60 incher but it might be in this case. Also off angle viewing seems to be worse then many LCD's out there.

Another issue is the motion processing. I have all the enhancements off and maybe a few of them should be on but I find when things move on the screen it can look pretty broken. When watching something with a lot of ocean the blue waves start to look like blue bobbling ice cubes. Its not that bad or noticeable but when I point it out and look for it you can see them.

Again I think its a pretty solid TV for its price point and for me it has been trouble free so far. However I feel a videophile like me should have something with a little more bling. I have a habit of being cheap sometimes and occasionally I get lucky. However more then a few times I have learned that if you buy cheap you buy twice. Here I am browsing new displays for my main home theater system.
post #1183 of 1192 Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Sorry if I had been vague. They were original elfy's settings, but with a few tweaks of my own. No processor settings at all. I even tried out Game mode, which reportedly turns off all processor stuff, but it didn't improve stuff really.

I ran new coax so it isn't the reception, it's just the tv. And I think I can live with it. I messed around with the tv a lot this weekend and think I came to some settings that I really enjoy. I will have to look up elfy's original settings again to see how close I am to them. I may also update the firmware if there is a new one out there newer than Jan/Feb/March of 2011.

The only way to really get rid of color trails is to put it into Movie Mode, which makes the colors a bit washed out on it's default settings. But even with color at zero on User or Standard, I still get the color/picture trails, like the processor is a millisecond or two too slow. None of the 3 other HDTVs I've ever owned have this color issue, and one is even a cheap throwaway Westinghouse.

But like I said, I think I got back to some settings where I can live with the problem. It seems more noticeable within the first couple hours of start-up, before the tv warms up I guess. If it's on all day long like during a weekend the color affect is less noticeable on my son's colorful programs like Caillou or Curious George.

I was having the same issue. I especially noticed red leaving a trail on a white background. To a lesser extent I noticed black leaving a blue trail. I played with my picture settings and more or less got it cleared up. My original settings were pretty close to those posted by Elfy. I actually found turning the brightness up slightly got rid of most of it. It was worst with brightness down and color up.
I'm using the following:
Backlight std
Contrast 27 (down 31)
Brightness 0 (up from -3)
color +1 (originally had mine at 3)
tint 0
Sharpness +1 (found turning this down from two also helped. originally +2 and one notch made a difference)

Using this I went from obvious trails to almost nimpossible to detect. Of course your mileage may vary.
post #1184 of 1192 Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you guys justify the $200 price difference from the 69u? Does Best Buy negotiate TV prices?
post #1185 of 1192 Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Was hoping for a bit of help with an issue I'm having with my LC60E78UN. I use mine almost exclusively as a monitor for a PC via direct HDMI connection (no receiver or splitter in the line). I also use Game Mode to get the lowest input lag possible. The monitor has been phenomenal for the 12 months I've owned it aside from some rather ugly and non-uniform back light bleed.

My problem is that I seem to be getting some weird flicker/color temp changes when I use it as a monitor. They happen often, sometimes (rarely) just randomly occuring with no input, but most of the time it's when I'm minimizing windows, switching from one window to another (many times one of which is predominantly a dark color and the other light), or even tabs in a browser. The effect really looks like the tv is inadvertantly switching between color temp modes ranging from low to high, and it's REALLY annoying. Mostly because each time it's accompanied by a sort of whole-screen flicker.

I called Sharp about it but their tech wanted to take me through the normal troubleshooting process, and generally wasn't very helpful.

Other details: it seems to happen most when the TV has been used for 2-3 hours or more (maybe when it's warm?). Also, this problem started occurring maybe 2-3 months ago, but initially it was only once in a long while, and I thought I was nuts; it has since increased in frequency to just about every time I use it more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. I'm 95% sure the problem isn't on my PC side, either - since it began, I've changed video drivers, recently changed video cards, did a complete reformat of windows, even tried using completely different hardware (laptop) to see if I could duplicate the problem - it still happened.

Anyone experience this? It's driving me nuts, and worst of all it's intermittent enough that I'm not 100% sure I could reproduce it for a technician if they came out.

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
post #1186 of 1192 Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is still monitoring this forum...Perhaps you can help.

I have calibrated this TV using the posted calibrations as a starting point, then using the AVS test patterns, and patterns on the DVDO processor, and have the colors, skin tones, contrast, and brightness just about nailed.

There is one problem that is driving me nuts tho. When a talking head (Anderson Cooper for example) has a guest via satellite, where the background is dark, night time, or if Anderson wears a gray suit, where the brightness of the area is less than about 20 IRE, the grays appear to have a green tint.

Even if I totally LOWER every GREEN setting on this monitor, it still appears greenish. Switching to Monochrome, shows perfect gray shades, as do the test patterns.

I would suspect the broadcast itself, however, I have a 24" Viewsonic computer monitor/tv, and watching the same program via streaming from my HTPC while watching live on the Sharp, the Viewsonic is PERFECT, and shows no greenish tint.

The Viewsonic has LED backlight, the Sharp is just LCD. Is this the issue? If not, what setting on the sharp would I need to use to reduce the greenish tint on very low IRE scenes?

post #1187 of 1192 Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just picked up this last night at BB for 1000. Tried it out last night and it looked great! I tried to adjust color settings but could not? I don't have a man and couldn't find one at the website? Will ck again when I get home... Says dynamic mode...but couldn't seem to adjust any of the settings... Any tips? Thanks again...
Frank
post #1188 of 1192 Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Use the remote to change the screen mode to USER, and then make your adjustments.

post #1189 of 1192 Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 AM

you can fin all the good calibration info throughout "Elfy's" post toward the 1st few pages of this thread.. He does post several times, so u might wanna read a few... "no man" needed, just your remote!! I used his settings to the T (using just my tv and PS3), I dont have any other components (no external theater control sysytems) runnin with my set-up. Hope dat helpz
post #1190 of 1192 Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM

I have a Sharp LC60E78UN which is connected to a Pioneer SX-315 AV receiver via optical, the receiver has no HDMI ports. I have an HTPC that has an AMD Radeon HD 5450 video card, I connect the HTPC directly to the TV via HDMI the sound comes from the Pioneer AV receiver that is connected to the TV via optical. For some reason I only get Stereo out from the AV receiver it doesn't play Dolby 5.1 or other encoded formats. Here is a picture of what my AMD HDMI audio output looks like:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post #1191 of 1192 Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Most TVs (including this one) can not output more than stereo from the optical output when feeding it an HDMI signal. They can usually output 5.1 sound if the signal comes from the cable/antenna but not useful if you are using an HTPC. You need to send the HDMI to the receiver, and then send the video signal to the TV. Other options would be to use a HDMI switch that also has optical out which could feed the Pioneer but cost about $50 to $70. Since you have an HTPC you could also put in a 5.1 sound card like this one for $30:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020&nm_mc=OTC-FroogleNEW&cm_mmc=OTC-FroogleNEW-_-Sound+Card-_-ASUS-_-29132020
post #1192 of 1192 Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quique18
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page