Sharp LC60E78UN [No Price Talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you could mount the 15" in front of the #2 thrown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvision View Post

you could mount the 15" in front of the #2 thrown.

that's what i'm thinking it would make an excellent "crappy" tv.....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #183 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Elfy - did you make any changes to the CMS Hue / Sat / Img Value settings or did you leave them all at default ?
post #184 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsreg200 View Post

Elfy - did you make any changes to the CMS Hue / Sat / Img Value settings or did you leave them all at default ?

post #185 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 PM

Can anyone tell me the dimensions with the stand. No one at BB or anywhere else can tell me. I bought it today looking at the dimensions without the stand. I have 42" height maximum 58" width and 26" depth to fit. Any help will be appreciated. Picking up on Sunday-I hope.....
Thanks.
post #186 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM

I have a strange problem with the TV set.

I do like the Soap Opera effect and enjoy the highest mode in film mode.

But every 10 to 15 seconds, the effect turns off and immediately turns on. so the effect seems to be rough for about half a second and then suddenly the effect turns on.

This goes on and on and I am starting to think my set might be defective.

any thoughts on this, experts?

thanks.

Michael.
post #187 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatledave View Post

Can anyone tell me the dimensions with the stand. No one at BB or anywhere else can tell me. I bought it today looking at the dimensions without the stand. I have 42" height maximum 58" width and 26" depth to fit. Any help will be appreciated. Picking up on Sunday-I hope.....
Thanks.

Just bought this beauty. She's nice on the eyes and the wallet.

Dimensions with stand are 37.25" height, 56.25" width, and 17.5" depth. Sounds like it should fit just fine.
post #188 of 1192 Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomamasboy View Post

Just bought this beauty. She's nice on the eyes and the wallet.

Dimensions with stand are 37.25" height, 56.25" width, and 17.5" depth. Sounds like it should fit just fine.

Thanks man really appreciate it. Now if I can get my free 15'' TV I forgot about.
Can't wait for Sunday!!!!!
post #189 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatledave View Post

Thanks man really appreciate it. Now if I can get my free 15'' TV I forgot about.

BTW the 15" unit appears to be a throw-away particularly for anyone in the
market for a 60" tv. A read through of the customer reviews isn't particularly
inspiring. I think the craigslist option sounds promising though.

Anyway has anyone managed to find a PDF manual from anywhere in
advance of purchasing the LC-60E78UN? Odd Sharp has a firmware
upgrade but no manual available for this unit on their website.
post #190 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Just want to thank you guys for the extra bit of inspiration to pull the trigger on this one. I'm taking delivery this upcoming Monday. Unfortunately my BB doesn't have one on display, but from these posts (and for the price) I'm confident I'll be more than pleased. Thanks all!
post #191 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I order it online for store pickup how long do I have to actually pick it up?
post #192 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

If I order it online for store pickup how long do I have to actually pick it up?

They'll hold it for 8 days

Gear List!

post #193 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egress123 View Post

I have a strange problem with the TV set.

I do like the Soap Opera effect and enjoy the highest mode in film mode.

But every 10 to 15 seconds, the effect turns off and immediately turns on. so the effect seems to be rough for about half a second and then suddenly the effect turns on.

This goes on and on and I am starting to think my set might be defective.

any thoughts on this, experts?

thanks.

Michael.

Same thing here Michael. It is VERY noticeable on this TV set. I'm not sure if it is a lemon, or all of these are built this way. We're going to give it the 30 days and see if it gets any better (and also keep playing with the settings). Right now my gut is telling me if it doesn't get better this TV is 100% getting returned. It blurs way too much with action scenes!!!

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but I turned on the basketball game on ESPN last night (Illinois-Mich St.) and the crowd looked awful! I tried every mode, even played with the settings and there was nothing that didn't make the crowd look like one big orange blob. I've owned several LCD's and this is by far the worst PQ in regards to crowds in the background (could really see pixels blurring in this regard).

Again, I hope the experience gets better...but right now I am not very happy with watching this TV on high def cable.
post #194 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1438 View Post

They'll hold it for 8 days

Thanks...will fill out the financing forms today! It better be good!
post #195 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evpj133 View Post

Same thing here Michael. It is VERY noticeable on this TV set. I'm not sure if it is a lemon, or all of these are built this way. We're going to give it the 30 days and see if it gets any better (and also keep playing with the settings). Right now my gut is telling me if it doesn't get better this TV is 100% getting returned. It blurs way too much with action scenes!!!

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but I turned on the basketball game on ESPN last night (Illinois-Mich St.) and the crowd looked awful! I tried every mode, even played with the settings and there was nothing that didn't make the crowd look like one big orange blob. I've owned several LCD's and this is by far the worst PQ in regards to crowds in the background (could really see pixels blurring in this regard).

Again, I hope the experience gets better...but right now I am not very happy with watching this TV on high def cable.

I just checked mine. Thankfully mine doesn't appear to be doing it. I checked several HD movie channels and the soap opera effect does stay on all the time. I checked for about 5 minutes on each channel.

As far as the crowd blob thing I am going to have to wait until a sports event is on to check that.
post #196 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

I just checked mine. Thankfully mine doesn't appear to be doing it. I checked several HD movie channels and the soap opera effect does stay on all the time. I checked for about 5 minutes on each channel.

As far as the crowd blob thing I am going to have to wait until a sports event is on to check that.

Def check it out. Like I said, I've owned several LCD's over the years (Samsung/Sony) and have always joked the PQ was so nice you could pick out hot girls in the crowd in the background. I found out last night this TV has a hard time doing it.

I'll have to tinker with the cable as well, perhaps it could be the connection from the cable box that is doing this. Because one second the PQ is crystal clear...and then it is very fuzzy and you can see a ton of pixels.
post #197 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Def check it out. Like I said, I've owned several LCD's over the years (Samsung/Sony) and have always joked the PQ was so nice you could pick out hot girls in the crowd in the background. I found out last night this TV has a hard time doing it.

I'll have to tinker with the cable as well, perhaps it could be the connection from the cable box that is doing this. Because one second the PQ is crystal clear...and then it is very fuzzy and you can see a ton of pixels.

I will check it out. I have the tv setup dot by dot under view mode on the remote. And movie mode under avmode on the remote. I will post as soon as soon as I see a sporting event. I know the manual says to set the tv to dynamic(non fixed) for sporting events. Maybe that will help?

Edit - I do notice some pixelation during moving scenes in the movie avatar on my cable box. But I don't know if that is natural for the setop box but I do see some.

Edit - I just put in the transformers blu ray and played it at 1080p 24 fps and there was 0 pixelation. Looked phenomenal too. So the pixelation was from the setop. I will post as soon as I watch some sports.
post #198 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 AM

I read some potential FUD a bit ago elsewhere...does this have a headphone jack? I didn't think so but while surfing I thought I saw it did. Not listed in thespecs though.
post #199 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I haven't had any PQ issues with this set. Sounds like the cable company is compressing the channel too much and/or one of the picture enhancement settings on the TV isn't handling the compression well. You might try toggling all the picture processing options to see if one of them is inadvertently causing the blur.
post #200 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM

No it was definitely the setop box. I tested another blu ray title at 1080p/24 and the PQ was outstanding.

I'm wondering if the crowd blobs during sports is being caused by the setop box maybe?
post #201 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Has any of you compared this model with the next one in the line, LC-60E88UN? There is a difference of $300 in retail price between these two models. I am wondering if there is enough difference in performance to justify it. Thank you.
post #202 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolyepoly View Post

Has any of you compared this model with the next one in the line, LC-60E88UN? There is a difference of $300 in retail price between these two models. I am wondering if there is enough difference in performance to justify it. Thank you.

I too would like to know the difference. I've had my eye on the 88UN for quite some time. I went to the local BB to take a look at the 78UN last night, and the PQ was decent (OTA signal).
post #203 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

No it was definitely the setop box. I tested another blu ray title at 1080p/24 and the PQ was outstanding.

I'm wondering if the crowd blobs during sports is being caused by the setop box maybe?

Yes. Cable companies are known for over compressing their video channels. Blu-ray video uses a high bitrate in an effort to preserve video quality. Cable companies use the lowest bitrate they can get away with in an effort to cram the most channels into their existing network.

How are you comparing this video to your previous TV sets? Is this the same cable box you have always used and the same channels? Is this TV much larger than your previous sets? The only sports programs I have watched on this set are received OTA and they look fantastic.
post #204 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfat View Post

Yes. Cable companies are known for over compressing their video channels. Blu-ray video uses a high bitrate in an effort to preserve video quality. Cable companies use the lowest bitrate they can get away with in an effort to cram the most channels into their existing network.

How are you comparing this video to your previous TV sets? Is this the same cable box you have always used and the same channels? Is this TV much larger than your previous sets? The only sports programs I have watched on this set are received OTA and they look fantastic.

My last set was a 37 inch LG. Yes this set is much larger. Also my eyes may not be as good as yours. I haven't seen any sports yet on this tv. But as far as I can tell the soap opera effect does not fade in and out. It is there steadily.
post #205 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButthead View Post

I too would like to know the difference. I've had my eye on the 88UN for quite some time. I went to the local BB to take a look at the 78UN last night, and the PQ was decent (OTA signal).

I believe the only difference between the 88UN and 78UN is 240hz vs 120hz refresh rate. The 88UN should have slightly better motion smoothing capabilities (soap opera effect).
post #206 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Just got some coupons in my email and looks like I can use the 5% off one. That nulls my sales tax anyway. Will be grabbing this girl tonight or tomorrow night.
post #207 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I will check it out. I have the tv setup dot by dot under view mode on the remote. And movie mode under avmode on the remote. I will post as soon as soon as I see a sporting event. I know the manual says to set the tv to dynamic(non fixed) for sporting events. Maybe that will help?

Edit - I do notice some pixelation during moving scenes in the movie avatar on my cable box. But I don't know if that is natural for the setop box but I do see some.

Edit - I just put in the transformers blu ray and played it at 1080p 24 fps and there was 0 pixelation. Looked phenomenal too. So the pixelation was from the setop. I will post as soon as I watch some sports.

Yeah, BR DVD's looked amazing on the TV. I put in Despicable Me and Prince of Persia last night (had to turn off motion stuff on PoP due to some ghosting), but both looked incredible.

And yes, I went through every picture mode during the basketball game. The dynamic setting actually looked the worst IMO. It was like one big bright orange xmas blob on the screen.
post #208 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmgawa View Post

BTW the 15" unit appears to be a throw-away particularly for anyone in the
market for a 60" tv. A read through of the customer reviews isn't particularly
inspiring. I think the craigslist option sounds promising though.

Anyway has anyone managed to find a PDF manual from anywhere in
advance of purchasing the LC-60E78UN? Odd Sharp has a firmware
upgrade but no manual available for this unit on their website.

I have the LC-60E78UN and the LC-60E77UN and the contents of the manuals are the same. The manual for the LC-60E77UN was still on the Sharp website last time I looked.
post #209 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

I have the LC-60E78UN and the LC-60E77UN and the contents of the manuals are the same. The manual for the LC-60E77UN was still on the Sharp website last time I looked.

sorry if you already commented on this & I missed it but just what are the differences between 77UN and 78UN specs or from ur observations?
post #210 of 1192 Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Some big box stores price match so to avoid problems thet have oem's build a custom model that nobody else carries.
I think this model 78 is a hybrid of the 77 and 88 models built for Best Buy. Those other 2 specs have been selling since may 2010.
The threads for this model start selling around november 2010. 6 months later and no specs on the sharp website.

Does this make sense? This spec and especially this low price fit my desires perfect. I usually turn all that electronic
enhancement stuff off. I prefer my tv just take incoming signal convert to 1080p and then display at 60 fps. That's it.
ESPN broadcasts with 720 so background detail suffers some.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page